I've been having the same issue, pretty sure it's not my ISP. Broadband speed test from my location (Illinois, USA) to france and germany was upwards of 100Mb/s, but my download speed here is about 100 kb/s or less. It wasn't this bad a few weeks ago, but now it's pretty much unusable for me.

I've been having the same issue, pretty sure it's not my ISP. Broadband speed test from my location (Illinois, USA) to france and germany was upwards of 100Mb/s, but my download speed here is about 100 kb/s or less. It wasn't this bad a few weeks ago, but now it's pretty much unusable for me.
Please, try speedtest . net with a selected European (Holland..) server.
Still 100 ?

Amsterdam was as close to what you suggested.

13041782333.png

Amsterdam was as close to what you suggested.
Sadly, getting a high speed to the same region as the server isn't enough by itself; different servers are often connected to providers with different peering arrangements meaning that it can happen that an end user experiences massively different speeds from two servers in the same city - even when the servers themselves are NOT overloaded.

As I've said a number of times in this now rather-long thread, some of the problems reported here are linked to the RD server being overloaded, while many others (most in fact) are linked to issues with connectivity between our ISP and the user's ISP.

Anyone getting only a few megabits per second at a peak time can probably lay the blame on the overloaded RD server. Anyone getting a few hundred kilobits per second at a peak time though - that's not on us.

Site download speed is awful, you should make sth in order not to lose your users
Well if we lost some users it might make the downloads faster - just kidding.

The truth is that RD is a privately run website/forum where the financial upkeep comes from a few ads and a few premium users meaning that the expense of a big fat fast internet pipe is probably not attainable for the moment due to cost. RD doesn't exactly have the financial chops of Steam.

It's also Easter weekend so the server is going to be swamped, hence the slow downloads. The best strategy for fast downloads is going to be downloading in the off times like between 03:00 and 09:00 CEST.

Well if we lost some users it might make the downloads faster - just kidding.
LOL, now there's an idea ;)
And thanks for your other recommendations.
200KB/s awesome. I suggest go for AWS instead of i3D.net B.V (Ubisoft).
Well, you don't have to google for long to get a feeling for how much it costs to have the likes of Google/Azure/AWS deliver a couple of hundred TB per month (clue: a lot). As @Slapped has suggested, that's not currently on the radar, nor (for other reasons) is BitTorrent.
Improvements are still coming "soon" I hope (I was over-optimistic earlier this year, sadly) and when they do come both of you will benefit disproportionately by virtue of being Premium members.

I just purchased a subscription to download some skins and I will be cancelling once this egregiously slow download is complete. For reference, I have a Gigabit connection and am getting these speeds.

1650292370857.png

Cloudflare offers a free CDN with unlimited bandwidth and I can't think of any reasons you wouldn't implement that.

Cloudflare offers a free CDN with unlimited bandwidth and I can't think of any reasons you wouldn't implement that.
It does have some limitations which I think would make it hard/impossible for us to use it but it bears checking more closely.
Hey ! I wondered why the download was so slow when I have a good connection.. You know why ? live in France just in case
See here for the most recent explanation ;)

I just purchased a subscription to download some skins and I will be cancelling once this egregiously slow download is complete.
I forgot to say that you don't need to upgrade to Premium to download stuff. (As soon as the long-awaited improvements are in place, being Premium will make a difference but it still won't be necessary.)

I'm having problems too on downloading and even browsing through RD. It's been like 4 months like this, downloading at 12 kb/s.
Anyone getting only a few megabits per second at a peak time can probably lay the blame on the overloaded RD server. Anyone getting a few hundred kilobits per second at a peak time though - that's not on us.
^^^
Please ask your ISP to check what's up. Our server delivers massively more than 12 kb/s even when the load is at its highest.

Everyone should temporarely try
again, without Browser Add-ons.
or install another browser...

Me, still having excellent speed,
from Sweden - using my phone.
Your mileage may vary. /Pp

edit : forums is blazing fast even with over 3 k visitors.. :D

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals