Yeah, I'm starting to think that the surge in popularity in the last few weeks may take a LOT longer than I originally expected to subside far enough for our network load to return to sane levels. So, the "other stuff" to mitigate the issue is taking a higher priority right now...
(As for using money to sort it out, you might be surprised how much it'd cost to serve a couple of hundred TB per month via a typical CDN; I know I was.)

Yeah, I'm starting to think that the surge in popularity in the last few weeks may take a LOT longer than I originally expected to subside far enough for our network load to return to sane levels. So, the "other stuff" to mitigate the issue is taking a higher priority right now...
(As for using money to sort it out, you might be surprised how much it'd cost to serve a couple of hundred TB per month via a typical CDN; I know I was.)
Just get @Bram Hengeveld to sell himself to highest bidder ;)

Last edited:
I am not surprised as to the monetary cost.
It is the reputational costs I am fearful for.

Last edited:
OK that feels a little unfair. You are already well aware that your problem is not connected with our site being overwhelmed, and so your problem is NOT going to get better in a few days.

This, for sure.
Customers of DTAG and a few other ISPs in various parts of the world have had pretty clear feedback from us about this in threads like this one.

Just to help clarify it for everyone, there are essentially two distinct causes for people having download-speed issues on RD.
Firstly, there are those with connectivity problems (like DTAG customers) for whom the problems have often been long-standing, and to whom the only advice we can really offer is to put pressure on your ISP to explain/solve the issue, because we can't. These users will generally have bad download speeds whenever the relevant bit of infrastructure between them and us is congested, which clearly may be hard for them to distinguish from the RD site being slow since it will also tend to happen at peak times, but this is why we've provided them with feedback; we can see when the site server is being slow and when it isn't.
Secondly, from time to time the RD site itself is simply overwhelmed by traffic (e.g. at holiday periods or when some event causes traffic to spike), which of course brings a lot more people to threads like this one; this one is on us for sure, though ultimately it's a transient problem, and as I've said before, we're still looking at ways to mitigate it since the site is continuing to grow in popularity.
Given I’ve downloaded all these amazing mods from RD - for free - this is easy to take in stride. I’ve actually made it a mini-game the past couple days finding the ideal downloading windows for the good speeds. Makes me feel like I’m putting in at least a modicum of effort for the FREE mods on RD. RD staff - you’ve got a terrific community and awesome modders. Don’t let the plonkers get you down. Sometimes we have to be in queue at the market if it’s popular and busy. Onward.

Having Read the related comments over the last few weeks regarding slow download speeds, i would ask if there is any further info going forward to fix this issue. I have a very good download speed on my internet provider (65Mbps), but im still only getting between 350 and 400Kbps from RD. Thanks for your feedback if any.

Download speeds are again IMPOSSIBLE .... NO it is not on my side, any other site I download from is SUPERFAST, I have no caps, no limits and download is 110% anywhere else BUT at RACEDEPARTMENT ..... you guys are not running online gaming or something ???????

Got the same Problem, i have good internet and it takes ages just for a few mb. The other weird thing is, if i have 3 downloads from this site, i cant even open the site anymore, its the same everytime, i have never seen that happening anywhere before ^^

Last edited:
Once again the download speeds are still slow and the solutions do not present themselves here readily. Please any information as to what updates if any would at least help. Its been going on far too long now.

Once again the download speeds are still slow and the solutions do not present themselves here readily. Please any information as to what updates if any would at least help. Its been going on far too long now.

The work that is currently under way is intended to accomplish two things in particular:
  1. prevent high demand for downloads from causing the main website (forums etc.) to become unresponsive
  2. for downloads, provide preferential treatment for Premium members
This will improve the overall site experience for all users at peak times. However, it will obviously make downloads for non-Premium users slower when the site's bandwidth is at full capacity.
For non-Premium users, the simple answer for getting good download speeds will still be to download at off-peak times (e.g. morning for western Europe).

it was never like this before last year and now no matter what I download takes like 40-50 minutes, something changed and it wasn't the user-base increase.

To quote a reply I made in another thread recently:
The work that is currently under way is intended to accomplish two things in particular:
  1. prevent high demand for downloads from causing the main website (forums etc.) to become unresponsive
  2. for downloads, provide preferential treatment for Premium members
This will improve the overall site experience for all users at peak times. However, it will obviously make downloads for non-Premium users slower when the site's bandwidth is at full capacity.
For non-Premium users, the simple answer for getting good download speeds will still be to download at off-peak times (e.g. morning for western Europe).
Beyond that, all I can say is that the demand on the network has risen beyond our capacity, and that while this used to happen on an occasional basis it now appears to be routine at peak times. The additional remedial measures are almost ready for testing...

Hello got premium for a faster download but still 20 mins for 500mb file...

this is my speedtest

12693656301[1].png

DLC Report from Sweden : insane fast download speed .. Always.. No complaints at all.
I feel very sorry for you guys. Keep the heat on those companies you think is responsible. /Pp

Im from Portugal,no such thing as Deutsche Telekom AG.....slow downloads for the past weeks,and only here.Even movies downloads are fast,so no, is not my net provider.
No, my more recent posts in this thread will explain the current story, but fair point - I've renamed the thread because at present the issues with a few problematic ISPs are not the main concern.

Look at the post just before yours from Neil.
You can have the fastest Internet on the planet but the racedepartment servers are still too crowded due to the simracing boom since the pandemic started
So what's the point? There's a feature of premium called "unlimited downloads", this problem has been reported first time 6 years ago, why they don't just upgrade the website hosting server? I've paid for a feature that doesn't "work"?

So what's the point? There's a feature of premium called "unlimited downloads", this problem has been reported first time 6 years ago, why they don't just upgrade the website hosting server? I've paid for a feature that doesn't "work"?
To save you the trouble of reading hundreds of posts, I'll just clarify here that this thread is indeed old but it relates to more than one kind of problem, and most of the issues reported here are not connected to the site itself being overloaded; that's a pretty recent phenomenon. See this post in particular for more info.

Premium users are about to get preferential download treatment (see here for a related post) but at present, while you do get unlimited downloads, sadly so does everyone else. (Given your rationale for buying Premium, I have no doubt that Bram will give you a refund if you don't want to wait and see how things turn out.)

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Thursday

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • Friday

Votes: 32 39.0%
  • Saturday

Votes: 43 52.4%