Telekom blames Level3 and NTT for years in their support forums. "Every ISP has at some point a suboptimal route"
"We have checked it and can tell the issue lies not with us. Please contact i3d.net"
Since they do not see any problem IN THEIR net but the peering point via the USA of NTT

They argue like "You don't call a german street construction company when there is a hole in a street in France.)

E: So, Level3 and i3d think Telekom needs to pay for upgrading the peering point while Telekom says Level3 and i3d have to pay for upgrading the peering point, hilarious.

hops via Telia / twelve99 are better :D

Last edited:
E: So, Level3 and i3d think Telekom needs to pay for upgrading the peering point while Telekom says Level3 and i3d have to pay for upgrading the peering point, hilarious.
Yup, I reckon I've heard stories like that too. Not easy to truly know who's to blame, as a customer of either company at the endpoints. Pain in the backside though, regardless of blame.
They argue like "You don't call a german street construction company when there is a hole in a street in France.)
It's a nice analogy (from their point of view) but doesn't quite map to reality for internet traffic.
Maybe a slightly better one (and one that they would probably like rather less :)) would be to ask "would you blame your postal company in the US for failing to deliver your package correctly to an address in Belgium via 4 other companies along the way?", to which the answer would be "yes, because they chose the peering relationships".... But that analogy immediately breaks down of course because internet traffic is bidirectional!

Damn it sucks, I thought I need to go premium to access fast download guess I was wrong, but hey at least I'm supporting the team now, but this issue need to be fixed ASAP

In the last few days (over the holiday period) the network traffic to the site has been exceptionally high, which has been affecting speeds for everyone. I expect that things will become a bit more normal in the next day or so.

Checking in with 150kb/s for RD download with gigabit in Seattle, WA. Glad to see so much staff transparency on the issue, here's some information I found.

Tracing shows a large latency jump between the following i3D addresses. Hops minimized for readability. Looks like the hop from i3D US to GB is the biggest culprit. Hopefully this can assist if its an i3D issue!

[1ms] Seattle Google Webpass
[29ms] 64.125.28.145 - ae2.cs1.lax112.us.eth.zayo.com
[30ms] 109.200.218.15 - uslax1-rt002i.i3d.net
[80ms] 109.200.218.32 - usewr1-rt001i.i3d.net
[140ms] 109.200.218.188 - gblon1-rt001i.i3d.net
[155ms] 109.200.218.245 - nlrtm1-rt003i.i3d.net
[169ms] 31.204.153.0 - RD

Checking in with 150kb/s for RD download with gigabit in Seattle, WA. Glad to see so much staff transparency on the issue, here's some information I found.

Tracing shows a large latency jump between the following i3D addresses. Hops minimized for readability. Looks like the hop from i3D US to GB is the biggest culprit. Hopefully this can assist if its an i3D issue!

[1ms] Seattle Google Webpass
[29ms] 64.125.28.145 - ae2.cs1.lax112.us.eth.zayo.com
[30ms] 109.200.218.15 - uslax1-rt002i.i3d.net
[80ms] 109.200.218.32 - usewr1-rt001i.i3d.net
[140ms] 109.200.218.188 - gblon1-rt001i.i3d.net
[155ms] 109.200.218.245 - nlrtm1-rt003i.i3d.net
[169ms] 31.204.153.0 - RD
Thanks for the info. The latency increases are mainly the trans/inter-continental jumps, and don't seem *too* crazy to me overall (LA to Newark, then Newark to London). Right now, I'm afraid our network link is simply still saturated, so perhaps a bunch of new people have taken up sim racing over the Christmas break and are busy fetching mods etc... I'm still optimistic that it will settle down but it's taking a lot longer than I had anticipated.

In the last few days (over the holiday period) the network traffic to the site has been exceptionally high, which has been affecting speeds for everyone. I expect that things will become a bit more normal in the next day or so.
What holiday period? Christmas and new year fell on weekends this year, so no holiday. Nobody has had any days off where I work and the rush hour over the last 2 weeks has been the usual pain in arse.

Now I'm thinking about it, I'm in Switzerland, do other countries get "substitute days" if holidays fall on the weekend?

Wish I read this before paying for premium thinking it might help.
It's not normally this bad, but yes it's pretty bad at present.
Sorry to hear you bought Premium to improve the download experience and were disappointed; if you want a refund, please use the "Contact us" button at the bottom of the page (but note that Premium does let you join in our Club racing scene as well as various other things such as removing ads and of course supporting the site :thumbsup:).

Never ever had this issue. Been using RD for year
1641696075486.png
s now
1641696087501.png
1641696148857.png

The whole site takes a bit to load. Opened 2 tabs on youtube before it opened

Hey yall,

I love to use racedepartment. However the download speed is *horribly* slow. I get no more than 200kbps, sometimes much less. My internet connection on other sites is much faster.

I considered getting premium, but I do not want to pay money is I cant really use the service cause the servers are too slow.

Am I doing something wrong`? I even read other forum threads of people with the same issue but there is never a solution

The server is experiencing exceptional load for the last few days - see here for one of my recent posts. We're also working on some other changes in the medium term which should make things better.

Seems to be a small improvement tonight in download speed, which hopefully means incoming traffic is reducing. Had a download speed of 7mbps today which is bearable. Fingers crossed!

I hope you will quickly find a solution as now it began 10 days ago and nothing improves: sometimes more than 1 minute waiting when loading a new thread.
There is surely another problem somewhere than just a lot of downloads.
A longer download time cannot be avoided for sure in this case and everyone can understand it.... but when it impacts the usual reading of all pages at this point ... that's really annoying.

EDIT: now 15 minutes afterwards .... everything's OK ... really strange behaviour it seems.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if this is a latency/window issue. I'm never able to replicate it, but my RTT is 10-15ms whereas the one posted above is almost 10x more at 115ms.

The server is advertising a smaller than normal window at around 28k instead of the usual 65k

This is the tcpdump of the SYNACK from the server:

15:45:33.031306 IP firestone.racedepartment.com.https > ktolymc02yh12zjh4d.home.52985: Flags [S.E], seq 1434891779, ack 1018063098, win 28960, options [mss 1448,sackOK,TS val 2081982497 ecr 1385117536,nop,wscale 7], length 0

If the RTT goes up a lot more for any reason, it's going to have a noticeable impact.

Dunno really - just putting thoughts out there....

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.