Sidekick

Apps Sidekick 1.11.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
Hey, I've updated Sidekick with a few new features and bug fixes:

sidekicke14.jpg

[mod edit: no links to external downloads]

Last edited by a moderator:
And now !
Missing nothing all in one (i delete app : local time/ delta kunos /pro tyre / esotic shift light/ odometer
Is it possible to change font gear shifter i would like digital one ?

Really thanks[

I'm not going to make the fonts configurable from the app itself (the settings windows is complicated enough already!).

But (assuming your running v1.14.1 ) if you change line 742 of Assetto Corsa\apps\python\sidekick\Sidekick.py from:

ac.setCustomFont(gearLabel, mainfont, 1, 1)

to:

ac.setCustomFont(gearLabel, "DS-DIGITAL", 1, 1)

That'll make it use the digital font for the gear display. You might then also need the tweak the fontsize setting on line 741 , to account for the different font.

Neat app. :) However, about the speed polling rate, is there any way to make it smooth like the default essensials app? In regards to the speedometer, it's skipping numbers and reacting very slowly. :)

It's fine on my system...
No idea what could cause the lag.
Strange. I have both the Sidekick and Essentials enabled to compare. It's reacting, just updating very slowly (more noticeable the quicker acceleration). Essentials is perfectly butter smooth.

I found this in Sidekick.py:

Code:
#Fetch data 10 times per second
    if timer2 > 0.1:
        focusedCarValue = ac.getFocusedCar()
        speedValueKPH = ac.getCarState(focusedCarValue, acsys.CS.SpeedKMH)
        speedValueMPH = ac.getCarState(focusedCarValue, acsys.CS.SpeedMPH)

I tried changing the value to 0.01, doesn't improve things (anyone know how to get it to increase the update rate?). I'm not familiar with Phyton or really programming in general but to me this change made sense... :( Shouldn't it fix the issue? A 10 Hz update rate is really slow.

Are you sure yours aren't slow too? Is Essentials the same as Sidekick for you?

Last edited:
Buttersmooth here too. and 10 updates per second is more than enough.
I beg to differ. :) I find 10 updates per second to be very laggy and sluggish. It's equivalent to an input lag of 100 ms.

If your Sidekick speedometer response is the exact same as the Essentials app, then I would agree with you. But 10 Hz in itself is not smooth and the Essentials appupdates way more often than that. Seems to update with every frame.

Last edited:
I tried changing the value to 0.01, doesn't improve things (anyone know how to get it to increase the update rate?). I'm not familiar with Phyton or really programming in general but to me this change made sense... :( Shouldn't it fix the issue? A 10 Hz update rate is really slow.
If you really want to change the update rate for the speedo you need to change the timer value in two places: the one you listed above is where it fetches the data. If you find the next section further down where it looks at timer2 (and resets it to zero), that'll be the block of code where it displays the data.

If you really want to change the update rate for the speedo you need to change the timer value in two places: the one you listed above is where it fetches the data. If you find the next section further down where it looks at timer2 (and resets it to zero), that'll be the block of code where it displays the data.
You sir, are a hero!

Code:
    #Display/calculate 10 times per second
    if timer2 > 0.001:
        timer2 = 0

Changed that value to 0.001 and it's now truly smooth as butter. Gonna try 0.01 to see if that's smooth too. :)

THANKS! :D

Update: I did try with 0.01. I would call it smooth. Actually butter smooth.
However, it did not pick up on the small changes in acceleration and decelleration so I'm gonna keep it at 0.001.

Would not be needed for most, I agree, but I want a true 1:1 replication (that is not realistic because in real life it's calculating it from wheel speed sensors and various factors will create inaccuracies, but that's what the cluster display (cockpit view) is for. The modded car I tested fetched the wheel speed data instead of air speed data).

Honestly, I could probably do with 0.005 or maybe higher, but unless I see it affecting performance in any meaningful way I don't care about it being overkill. Then at least it's not underkill. :)

Last edited:
Changed that value to 0.001 and it's now truly smooth as butter. Gonna try 0.01 to see if that's smooth too. :)

THANKS! :D

Update: I did try with 0.01. I would call it smooth. Actually butter smooth.
However, it did not pick up on the small changes in acceleration and decelleration so I'm gonna keep it at 0.001.

Would not be needed for most, I agree, but I want a true 1:1 replication (that is not realistic because in real life it's calculating it from wheel speed sensors and various factors will create inaccuracies, but that's what the cluster display (cockpit view) is for. The modded car I tested fetched the wheel speed data instead of air speed data).

Honestly, I could probably do with 0.005 or maybe higher, but unless I see it affecting performance in any meaningful way I don't care about it being overkill. Then at least it's not underkill. :)
Glad you've got it working to your satisfaction :)
Be aware though that any time values smaller than the refresh period are pointless. E.g. if you run your display at 60 Hz, there's no value in having it smaller than about 16 ms ;)

Glad you've got it working to your satisfaction :)
Be aware though that any time values smaller than the refresh period are pointless. E.g. if you run your display at 60 Hz, there's no value in having it smaller than about 16 ms ;)
Well, it all depends when the fetch is done in relation to when the frame is rendered. Rendering of frames aren't done perfectly every X ms, it varies a lot. A very high polling rate will ensure that the fetch is done as close to the point of the frame creation as possible. I am making some assumptions of how it works, though. It might be possible they can syncronize it with the frames, but I'd guess it isn't since the polling rate value seem static to me.

For instance, having FPS over the refresh rate is beneficial because you will get more recent frames instead of an old one. Everything that is shown on the screen is a snapshot of the past. You want it to be as close to "now" as possible to decrease input lag.

I'm running 144 Hz, by the way. :)

Well, it all depends when the fetch is done in relation to when the frame is rendered.
Agreed.
A very high polling rate will ensure that the fetch is done as close to the point of the frame creation as possible.
...but you haven't ensured a high polling rate. You are totally at the mercy of the frequency to the calls to acUpdate(), and if I recall correctly, it's only called one per video frame ;) (Of course you can confirm that by printing the values of deltaT.)

Hello, I'm having a issue with sidekick on the replay mode. I've seen from friends that sidekick changes during a replay to show current laptime, however, for me the app just stays the same as in a race, and it actually doesnt show anything. Does anybody know why would this be? Thank you.

Can someone please PM this? look like i can reduce by apps by 3 with just this and in VR, i finally get real world time. You have no idea how useful that is in VR!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back