Show us your Rig / Cockpit

Should work! Probably would be sitting a lot lower in the Simlab gt1 though.
IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

I wanted to make something to create a bit of isolative immersion ...motion platform is yet to be installed and i am still debating on the tactile setup but I will take some of the experts' recommendations. So after a couple of weeks thinking and putting things together I ended up with a frame look-alike (in some parts) of a cage. This will be further enhanced by creating a carbon look roof, some safety nets, adding some suede on panels. for the sides some black out curtains for now till i think of something nicer...not sure yet havent decided the direction. its a step by step approach...this week i am expecting new handbrake, button boxes and 2 hdmi panels for dashboards...seat is taken from my daily car but will be replaced with something with plastic back to attach the exciters..any suggestions on how to progress this be my guest.

Attachments

• 0-02-01-35b9b82cbdb47eeb080b6a51c8f96d73b30fde5094fcc8c4d37445d8caeddb7f_15cb9ab6da1627d7.jpg
    0-02-01-35b9b82cbdb47eeb080b6a51c8f96d73b30fde5094fcc8c4d37445d8caeddb7f_15cb9ab6da1627d7.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 360
  • 0-02-01-1953f95307bd126c3d8289f4eb768ec73f66b3b55ab9c478340cbef9ad0dd86d_e408a1a1e9f548d0.jpg
    0-02-01-1953f95307bd126c3d8289f4eb768ec73f66b3b55ab9c478340cbef9ad0dd86d_e408a1a1e9f548d0.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 365
  • 0-02-01-b08a4516e837d2822b2e8931a89a2df391b655c9868ce3626d965831a514b9db_ced850c35dc7912.jpg
    0-02-01-b08a4516e837d2822b2e8931a89a2df391b655c9868ce3626d965831a514b9db_ced850c35dc7912.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 396
  • 0-02-01-ddd8e51ff08e5828328e34af4bb3509c381b134e581c9dcf8b6f97649ea59c22_bfaa77811741f35b.jpg
    0-02-01-ddd8e51ff08e5828328e34af4bb3509c381b134e581c9dcf8b6f97649ea59c22_bfaa77811741f35b.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 411
  • 0-02-01-86e96e86cc3de227ecff85ed0560214cb0e64e31e90bd0fb3a70a982cad06cc1_35dbfc958299d826.jpg
    0-02-01-86e96e86cc3de227ecff85ed0560214cb0e64e31e90bd0fb3a70a982cad06cc1_35dbfc958299d826.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 406
  • 0-02-01-f5fc44db098035eba9e98dc9cbc836aa97bf0790f30d15ba6ae2f17cfc478a9e_ee0a213eb9b24bc7.jpg
    0-02-01-f5fc44db098035eba9e98dc9cbc836aa97bf0790f30d15ba6ae2f17cfc478a9e_ee0a213eb9b24bc7.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 381
  • 0-02-01-0a1a75553b0182f386925fcc28fc45e0f0b4e39d3555175737a5362d01269b4c_3c0e98ad97fcd040.jpg
    0-02-01-0a1a75553b0182f386925fcc28fc45e0f0b4e39d3555175737a5362d01269b4c_3c0e98ad97fcd040.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 373
Recently made some changes to my setup by upgrading to triples. As it's been a few months since I shared an update I figured I would upload some newer pics. Please excuse the lighting as it's a bit tricky to get proper pictures in my office space. For reference I am using a 34" curved ultrawide in the center and 2 x 27" curved panels on the sides. I am pretty happy with overall cable management considering everything that is connected.

Attachments

• Overview.jpg
    Overview.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 466
  • DDU_Button_Box.jpg
    DDU_Button_Box.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 468
  • Side_Profile.jpg
    Side_Profile.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 469
  • Backside.jpg
    Backside.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 453
Recently made some changes to my setup by upgrading to triples. As it's been a few months since I shared an update I figured I would upload some newer pics. Please excuse the lighting as it's a bit tricky to get proper pictures in my office space. For reference I am using a 34" curved ultrawide in the center and 2 x 27" curved panels on the sides. I am pretty happy with overall cable management considering everything that is connected.

Stylish and tasty mate.....
Ive considered somewhere down the line adding dual Samsung G7 to flank my G9 on each side. Seen an example online which looked quite cool but very few have done this. I suppose it would be similar in horizontal resolution as triple 21:9 ultrawide.

My problem is with the amount of tactile and amps etc my own build is going to use.....
I am concerned about the number of watts I will be using even with a single monitor.

Last edited:
Stylish and tasty mate.....
Ive considered somewhere down the line adding dual Samsung G7 to flank my G9 on each side. Seen an example online which looked quite cool but very few have done this. I suppose it would be similar in horizontal resolution as triple 21:9 ultrawide.

My problem is with the amount of tactile and amps etc my own build is going to use.....
I am concerned about the number of watts I will be using even with a single monitor.
Thanks for the feedback, on my journey I have discovered I am quite a sucker for anodized washers as I feel they really add to the aesthetic. While power can certainly be a challenge when running detailed tactile configs a G9 and a pair of G7's will probably need quite a powerful system to run a decent frame rate. And with the graphics card market like it is very expensive as well :(. I would like to update my card at some point if I can find a decent deal. I am currently running an EVGA RTX2070 super hybrid and I get 70-80fps which I find acceptable for my setup.

Just swapped the old GT1 rig for a nice p1x. More work than I expected and I’d not rush to do it again but I love it.
Motion is nice and crisp feeling.

Attachments

• 32CDFFA0-6813-4859-A346-3B9F2971E6E7.jpeg
    32CDFFA0-6813-4859-A346-3B9F2971E6E7.jpeg
    520.1 KB · Views: 641
  • 31AF4496-3158-4F13-B024-C513EDA1A76E.jpeg
    31AF4496-3158-4F13-B024-C513EDA1A76E.jpeg
    478.9 KB · Views: 627
  • 46D9D10E-7314-4D96-BB5A-25D6E8D571C4.jpeg
    46D9D10E-7314-4D96-BB5A-25D6E8D571C4.jpeg
    504.2 KB · Views: 670
I'm always impressed when I see your rig and images. I get the feeling you're an engineer of some kind?

What kind of cars do you drive? I noticed you always have fixed paddle shifters or no paddle shifters and a simple round 320/350mm wheel. But you also don't have a clutch pedal so I don't immediately think drifting.

I'm always impressed when I see your rig and images. I get the feeling you're an engineer of some kind?

What kind of cars do you drive? I noticed you always have fixed paddle shifters or no paddle shifters and a simple round 320/350mm wheel. But you also don't have a clutch pedal so I don't immediately think drifting.

No, I am not an engineer and I have not any special abilities. I can do some 2D graphic design and very little 3D design and a very very little programming. I also have some free time for my hobbies.

I think I choose my devices in terms of how they fit my driving style and how much fun I have when I jump into my rig.

As regard my shifting choice, I have gone though different stages. When I had my Thrustmaster steering wheel with the alcantara rim, one of the things I did was to remove the paddle shifters. By that time I was very much into rally games, so I preffered a stick shifter (Heusinkveld).

I also tried H shifting, but I was very disappointed with how artificially it is simulated in the games, so I discarded the idea, together with the use of a clutch pedal. When I bought my HE Sprint pedals, I installed my brake pedal on a more ergonomic position on the left, which feels very comfortable and effective specially when I discovered the benefits of left foot braking, apart from the fact that I have never liked the heel-toe technique.

Then I tried the WRC style paddle shifter by Ascher Racing (push-pull), which was really nice and effective. But then I lost interest in rallying and moved to Assetto Corsa exclusivelly. Time after I tried long custom paddles fixed to the steering column (ala Ferrari or Lambo). The problem was that the paddle mechanisms are not designed for very long paddles, so the actuation was inconsistent, depending on the part of the paddle you use.

Looking for something really strong and sturdy, I found out the expensive sequential shifter by Quaife, which is my actual and only shifting method. Using it is such an amazing experience that I do not need anything else. I am not that kind of user who is obsessed with using the exact steering, shifting, etc. of the simulated car. A sequential shifter seems to me a good compromise. It has the benefits of being more physical and mechanical than paddles and at the same time it is perfectly simulated (unlike H shifting with a clutch), apart from the fact that you can drive any car with it, not matter if it uses sequential or H shifting (as far as I know, you cannot use a H shifter for sequential cars, at least in Assetto Corsa).

I have recently considered adding small moving flappy paddles, just to have an alternative for modern cars (which may they feel a bit weird when driven using a sequential stick), but I would only do this if I add the wireless module to my Simucube 1, because I do not want the annoyances of the coiled cable. Are paddles more effective? Yes. More fun? I do not think so. On the other hand, I really like my steering wheel as it is now, with no buttons, no paddles, all very airy, simple, beautiful, just o drive an have fun, to countersteer, to focus in the handling, without the interference of paddle shifters or having to worry about where they are located when turning my steering wheel.

I do not race, just drive for fun, taking the cars to the limit, or sometimes hotlapping. Drift cars or drifting per se are not of my interest (I see that too artificial). What I love is cars that I feel fun to drive, without much traction, which feel alive, sometimes old style, trying different type of cars to experience the different behaviours... I do not like F1 (except the cars from the 60s) nor GT3 (too grippy, performance-oriented and not enjoyable to control on the limit).

Last edited:
No, I am not an engineer and I have not any special abilities. I can do some 2D graphic design and very little 3D design and a very very little programming. I also have some free time for my hobbies.

I think I choose my devices in terms of how they fit my driving style and how much fun I have when I jump into my rig.

As regard my shifting choice, I have gone though different stages. When I had my Thrustmaster steering wheel with the alcantara rim, one of the things I did was to remove the paddle shifters. By that time I was very much into rally games, so I preffered a stick shifter (Heusinkveld).

I also tried H shifting, but I was very disappointed with how artificially it is simulated in the games, so I discarded the idea, together with the use of a clutch pedal. When I bought my HE Sprint pedals, I installed my brake pedal on a more ergonomic position on the left, which feels very comfortable and effective specially when I discovered the benefits of left foot braking, apart from the fact that I have never liked the heel-toe technique.

Then I tried the WRC style paddle shifter by Ascher Racing (push-pull), which was really nice and effective. But then I lost interest in rallying and moved to Assetto Corsa exclusivelly. Time after I tried long custom paddles fixed to the steering column (ala Ferrari or Lambo). The problem was that the paddle mechanisms are not designed for very long paddles, so the actuation was inconsistent, depending on the part of the paddle you use.

Looking for something really strong and sturdy, I found out the expensive sequential shifter by Quaife, which is my actual and only shifting method. Using it is such an amazing experience that I do not need anything else. I am not that kind of user who is obsessed with using the exact steering, shifting, etc. of the simulated car. A sequential shifter seems to me a good compromise. It has the benefits of being more physical and mechanical than paddles and at the same time it is perfectly simulated (unlike H shifting with a clutch), apart from the fact that you can drive any car with it, not matter if it uses sequential or H shifting (as far as I know, you cannot use a H shifter for sequential cars, at least in Assetto Corsa).

I have recently considered adding small moving flappy paddles, just to have an alternative for modern cars (which may they feel a bit weird when driven using a sequential stick), but I would only do this if I add the wireless module to my Simucube 1, because I do not want the annoyances of the coiled cable. Are paddles more effective? Yes. More fun? I do not think so. On the other hand, I really like my steering wheel as it is now, with no buttons, no paddles, all very airy, simple, beautiful, just o drive an have fun, to countersteer, to focus in the handling, without the interference of paddle shifters or having to worry about where they are located when turning my steering wheel.

I do not race, just drive for fun, taking the cars to the limit, or sometimes hotlapping. Drift cars or drifting per se are not of my interest (I see that too artificial). What I love is cars that I feel fun to drive, without much traction, which feel alive, sometimes old style, trying different type of cars to experience the different behaviours... I do not like F1 (except the cars from the 60s) nor GT3 (too grippy, performance-oriented and not enjoyable to control on the limit).
Thank you for the answer!
I wouldn't say you don't have special abilities. It takes special skill to assemble a rig that high quality without using a lot of "off the shelf" components like pre-packaged cockpits. And most people even with consumer grade/prosumer grade hardware don't have as clean of a wiring set-up as yours.

Your rig inspired me to invest in a proper "real car" steering wheel. I haven't installed it yet, but just by holding it in my hand after pulling it out of the box, I can see the huge difference in quality versus something like a Fanatec steering wheel or Motamec/OMP Clone.

Here is my MOMO Tuner 13. The white stuff on the front of the spokes is not scratches, but white dust from the plastic wrap. It's much thicker than the previous clone wheels I used, with countersunk holes and a slight pie dish. The stitching is a work of art. It's 320mm which I feel will allow me to use it for anything from sports cars to GT cars. Up until now, I actually regret choosing the steering wheel to save money.

I will be using a button plate, but after hearing your answer, I think I'm going to invest in an Ailogs or HE sequential shifter next. Like you, H-pattern shifting just felt "off" to me in sim racing. I've heard the Pro Sim H-Pattern shifter feels much more mechanical and realistic, but without the feeling of a real clutch I'm not sure it'll solve the problem.

MOMO_1.jpeg
MOMO_2.jpeg
MOMO_3.jpeg
MOMO_4.jpeg

Thank you for the answer!
I wouldn't say you don't have special abilities. It takes special skill to assemble a rig that high quality without using a lot of "off the shelf" components like pre-packaged cockpits. And most people even with consumer grade/prosumer grade hardware don't have as clean of a wiring set-up as yours.

Your rig inspired me to invest in a proper "real car" steering wheel. I haven't installed it yet, but just by holding it in my hand after pulling it out of the box, I can see the huge difference in quality versus something like a Fanatec steering wheel or Motamec/OMP Clone.

Here is my MOMO Tuner 13. The white stuff on the front of the spokes is not scratches, but white dust from the plastic wrap. It's much thicker than the previous clone wheels I used, with countersunk holes and a slight pie dish. The stitching is a work of art. It's 320mm which I feel will allow me to use it for anything from sports cars to GT cars. Up until now, I actually regret choosing the steering wheel to save money.

I will be using a button plate, but after hearing your answer, I think I'm going to invest in an Ailogs or HE sequential shifter next. Like you, H-pattern shifting just felt "off" to me in sim racing. I've heard the Pro Sim H-Pattern shifter feels much more mechanical and realistic, but without the feeling of a real clutch I'm not sure it'll solve the problem.

I have had an obsession with steering wheels all my life, but not with those racing squared or oddly-shaped models full of buttons, rotaries and techno. There is nothing like a real steering wheel and round of course! I have spent a lot of money buying replicas, which are not bad, but cannot be compared. They have an advantage though: they are usually lighter, which is a good thing, specially if you do not have a direct drive motor. I have owned the typical flat rim from Aliexpress (32/33 cm), both in PVC and in suede (BTW, most of these have the top band not centered, which really irritated me). I also owned a 32 cm replica of the OMP Corsica (deep dish) in PVC, which was quite good. Then I bought a custom flat 33 cm rim by Volantes DobleV (in suede with a bad finish). After that I had the flat rim in suede by Zalem (terrible finish).

Tired of bad quality rims, I decided to try original models and decided that leather was the best option. I did not want to spend a lot in a suede rim and have to worry every day about the suede wearing out or turning into a sticky and nasty mass. I had problems with grip on leather only because I was using the wrong gloves (I have also tried a lot). Then I found that karting gloves with silicon inserts on the palm work fantastic and offer the same grip on leather as you can have with a suede rim.

I bought the same momo Tuner you have (used in the Lotus 3-Eleven) but I quickly noticed the offset center, which makes the turning a bit weird. This does not happens with the 35 model, but it seems they adapted the design when making the 33 cm rim. Sorry if this is bad news for you. Some people do not mind the offset (the center is closer to the bottom than to the top of the rim), but for me it was a no no. As a substitute I purchased a momo Montecarlo, an absolutely fantastic rim, very similar to the Tuner. Both have a superb grip area and feature that oval shape which is really comfortable. I also purchased the OMP Corsica in 35 cm (not available in 33/32 cm in leather), but I sold it because I found it too big.

Then I noticed the Sparco Champion, medium dished, which is nice for counter steering or drifting. However, the most important feature is that is perfectly rounded on the outside. Many other rims have that contoured shape just where you grab them. This is fine, but if you like to move your hands on the rim or drift ssmoothly and not feel those protuberances, but just a perfect circle, then this (or the Corsica) are the rims for you. Both are not as oval as the Montecarlo or the Tuner, but that is just personal preference. I sold the Montecarlo because my idea was to use only one rim and because I prefered the Champion overall, although I must say I sometimes miss it.

Sorry for the long replies. I think most of the users here want to keep this thread as a gallery of racing rigs, not as a place for debating about personal preferences of shifters or steering wheels. If you have more questions, we can use private messages, although I think I might start a new thread about rounds steering wheels. It could be interesting.

Last edited:
Here are my two guys, the large is a DIY I "started" building about 6 years ago, added stuff almost monthly lol.... The second is of course stationary for my wife / kids / guests and second VR machine. I am the research phase of building some SFX-100 actuators and move my main machine over to them as well as going all extruded Aluminum. Since this picture I have already changed out the monitor stand to "8020"
Sim2.jpg

Getting close to how I want it to be, need to make cable management my next task. View attachment 507166

What size monitors and mounting did you use?
How do you find monitor stability with the motion?
I've got SFX100 and Sim Lab floor standing mount for triple 32's, but need a lot of clearance for motion so end up 900mm distance from screen. Want to get closer to screens, but nervous of having monitors bouncing around (Dirt Rally 2.0!)

What size monitors and mounting did you use?
How do you find monitor stability with the motion?
I've got SFX100 and Sim Lab floor standing mount for triple 32's, but need a lot of clearance for motion so end up 900mm distance from screen. Want to get closer to screens, but nervous of having monitors bouncing around (Dirt Rally 2.0!)

Attachments

• 0B145C3D-00D1-48EB-8ECD-596BD46960A4.jpeg
    0B145C3D-00D1-48EB-8ECD-596BD46960A4.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 174
27” monitors, there is a bit of movement but not to much. On the back of the monitors where the the vertical bezels touch I have used strong adhesive tape to further ‘tie’ the monitors together.

Made as step further by...downgrading the size of my TV.
Changed my 55'' TV with an Aorus FV43U 4k 144Hz monitor which boosted my gaming experience.
But the biggest change is about the whole setup as before I had to move the rig in order to have a functional living room.
So I placed the pc tower on the other side, changed the stand to Omega racing one which has a smaller footprint and now I can have my rig permanently(yes I am divorced:D) in the living room while maintaining the table in its' place, have space to move etc.
And I can change things on the fly by simply moving the stand depending on the usage(sim racing or browsing, movie watching etc.)
1637345600875.jpeg

1637345611182.jpeg

1637345619638.jpeg

1637345626810.jpeg

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Prizes

Votes: 16 21.9%