Show us your Rig / Cockpit

Changed my old setup.

Now with Sprints inverted and elevated seat.

The flexibility and possibility for experimentations 80/20 gives you is something amazing.

IMG_1233.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg
IMG_1222.jpg
IMG_1235.jpg

Last edited:
Nice woodworking.

Is the seat somehow connected to the sofa or only "sitting" on it?
To feel the big buttkicker there must be some connection to the sofa?

MFG Carsten

Hey thanks I will tell my friend who fabricated it :) he's really good. I did the design myself in Autocad 3d and printed 1:1 templates so its easier to trace and cut.
I also choose to go with a blue tint, didn't want the natural or black . . blue being my fav color.

The seat is floating, there's no strings attached :S and it is barely moving sideways, I cant feel any while racing (got additional side cousin for extra support not shown on pictures)

Using the original sofa mount for home theater setup, works perfect.
ButtKicker - Installation pictures and my experience  AVForums — Mozilla Firefox.jpg

Works like this on my setup (Also rubber feets on the sofa 4 corners)
PrtScr capture_17.jpg

Racing seat is directly on the sofa thin fabric & spring.
fdq.jpg

That's how I feel it ! Going mainly to the seat but also dispersed all around.
Obviously not as direct as bolted under the seat but in my case using 2-3 shakers I feel it is more optimal. No need to crank up the volume also.
PrtScr capture_16.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thank you for this excellent explanation and sketch.
From the fotos i didn´t understand the "seat on frame of sofa part"

As I´m thinking about/planing to add shakers and exciters to my aluminium rig,
maybe you could help me with an astimation of then noise level of the shakers.

In the summer I was called out by my neighbors several times about the noise of my 5.1 system on the rig.
Now Im using headphones in the "late races".

I think I could isolate the vibrations from going into in the structure of the house because of the concrete floors.
But loud noise would be a problem.

MFG Carsten

Thank you for this excellent explanation and sketch.
From the fotos i didn´t understand the "seat on frame of sofa part"

As I´m thinking about/planing to add shakers and exciters to my aluminium rig,
maybe you could help me with an astimation of then noise level of the shakers.

In the summer I was called out by my neighbors several times about the noise of my 5.1 system on the rig.
Now Im using headphones in the "late races".

I think I could isolate the vibrations from going into in the structure of the house because of the concrete floors.

MFG Carsten

Neighbors under? If so even if concrete you will have to isolate, vibration will go thru concrete alot! (sound not as much) Also depend of how powerful your shakers? Big BK LFE has some big punch. In all it is pretty quiet sound wise 'if you don't need to overdrive them' but for that try connect them as close to your body as possible for a minimum effort thus maximum gain to you, it will be quieter.

Cheers!

Last edited:
This is my home rig I designed with 500 mm actuators I designed with 3D modeled and CNC machined parts with an Open Source Wheel and 3D modeled hub to attach a wheel. Each actuator I qualified to handle 200 kilos have this running on two different 120 volt circuits. The thing on the back of the headrest is a camera mount I just thrown together.

Attachments

• 123178884_163674468754032_605226289743553633_o.jpg
    123178884_163674468754032_605226289743553633_o.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Neighbors under? If so even if concrete you will have to isolate, vibration will go thru concrete alot! (sound not as much) Also depend of how powerful your shakers? Big BK LFE has some big punch. In all it is pretty quiet sound wise 'if you don't need to overdrive them' but for that try connect them as close to your body as possible for a minimum effort thus maximum gain to you, it will be quieter.

Cheers!

No, under me it´s just the cars. :cool:

So the smaller exciters are quiet?
They would be mounted to the seat and the pedal plate, both isolated from the aluminium rig.
My wheelbase already manages to rattle my monitors :mad:
CS2 pro, tripple monitors mounted directly to the rig.

This is an older foto of the contraption, still with the T300:

My first simrig.

It´s build from scrap aluminium profile gifted by a friend.
Started out in January with the T300, an old recaro Sportster, 42" plasma TV and a PS4.

As you can see it developed ( escalated) quite a bit from there.

Pedalset is based on T3PA pro, with "real" clutch feel mechanism, loadcell brake and enhanced accelerator pedal with stronger spring and improved pickup for potentiometer, In the drawer are hall sensors to be fitted later.

In the moment I drive paddle shift so the clutch is removed and the brake pedal moved to the left, i´m an old fart with shod knees.
When triing to Heel´n´Toe its put back in the normal order. I just have to loosen four screws to make the change.

The buttons and encoders in the cockpit work with a Leo Bodnar board.
But i have to get in there again soon, the Amazon crimp kit for the plugs didn´t work too well.
it´s better to solder the things together.

View attachment 421780

MFG Carsten

No, under me it´s just the cars. :cool:

So the smaller exciters are quiet?
They would be mounted to the seat and the pedal plate, both isolated from the aluminium rig.
My wheelbase already manages to rattle my monitors :mad:
CS2 pro, tripple monitors mounted directly to the rig.

This is an older foto of the contraption, still with the T300:
Exactly your tv does not need to move with your rig, it should of been separated! I cant see any pictures? I cant figure out what shaker you have and how everything is attached to you rig?

Cheers!

I have tripple 27" monitors mounted directly to the profile rig.
Right now wheel base, pedals seat and monitor are connected quite rigidly.

This is the only picture i have at the moment:

IMG_20201122_184728047.jpg

And there are no buttkickers or exciters mounted, I´m still in the dreaming/planing phase.

The seat is two plastic pieces for seat and backrest which are mounted on a steel frame ( Recaro Sportser CS)
So if I isolate the seat from the frame rails and the frame rails from the floor will my neighbors hear anything from the exciters?

( Just drove an hour in LA Canyons, so my time schedule is different from them.
It´s 1:30am here and they have to work tomorrow. My company is shut down, so i can sleep in)

MFG Carsten

I have tripple 27" monitors mounted directly to the profile rig.
Right now wheel base, pedals seat and monitor are connected quite rigidly.

This is the only picture i have at the moment:

View attachment 435255

And there are no buttkickers or exciters mounted, I´m still in the dreaming/planing phase.

The seat is two plastic pieces for seat and backrest which are mounted on a steel frame ( Recaro Sportser CS)
So if I isolate the seat from the frame rails and the frame rails from the floor will my neighbors hear anything from the exciters?

( Just drove an hour in LA Canyons, so my time schedule is different from them.
It´s 1:30am here and they have to work tomorrow. My company is shut down, so i can sleep in)

MFG Carsten
So what are you planing to buy for shaker? And where you planing to put them?

Cheers!

Last edited:
So what are you planing to buy for shaker? And where you planing to put them?

Cheers!

Still in the planning phase.

I´m reading a lot, because I want the tactile feedback to aid my driving.
So what i need would be road/kerb effects, wheelslip and so on.
Stil not sure what shakers/exciters could help there.

But I think this gets al lot offtopic for the "Show your rig" thread, so I will lurch some more on the "Tactile Feedback" thread and listen to the experts.
There´s a lot to learn from the experts.
Than I can scale that down and try my own rig.

MFG Carsten

Still in the planning phase.

I´m reading a lot, because I want the tactile feedback to aid my driving.
So what i need would be road/kerb effects, wheelslip and so on.
Stil not sure what shakers/exciters could help there.

But I think this gets al lot offtopic for the "Show your rig" thread, so I will lurch some more on the "Tactile Feedback" thread and listen to the experts.
There´s a lot to learn from the experts.
Than I can scale that down and try my own rig.

MFG Carsten
You're right.

FYI, from experience piston driven shaker can be noisy if boosted too hard so in that sense installation is critical to avoid having to crank up volume to feel the vibes. I have no experience with exciter.

Cheers!

Last edited:
ACtC-3dW-or4UqrGT1VPrFE4pPhpi-ZFAmPyR_Pq27d7xyBz4RaRvf-gLbuiEdjyog-M6G64TQMK-0l8pIOytgkDGHbAH6GpNfUMn9djTDVB4XolxRYxJywygZu9l_rb-rOkUtl7t4AYyV6c0kh8QxSj1OYaTg=w2598-h1949-no

Build my first rig, 0 budget build, just stuff I had laying around. Considering that I am very happy with how rigid the thing turned out to be, especially since it was my first experience with such a big project. Other changes are that I drive in VR now and that I have new pedals, the Thrustmaster handbrake is on its way.
Here is how it looked before.

You can get rubber feet that should stop that. There's ones made for industrial applications that seem to work really well. I remember years and years ago we had a power press at work and you could hear it pounding from across the street. The rubber feet meant the sound didn't leave the building.

The industrial ones would be over kill for your needs (but are made to do what you want), any block of rubber should work under the rigs feet.

Build my first rig, 0 budget build, just stuff I had laying around. Considering that I am very happy with how rigid the thing turned out to be, especially since it was my first experience with such a big project.

I love the budget builds. Kudos for getting it down to £0 though! That benchmark was a little bit tricky for me as I didn't have enough materials, so I bought £25 of wood from B&Q and ended up with this:

IMG_20210111_111058.jpg

Finally have inverted pedals :) Had to add additional supports because I have a fairly heavy loadcell and it was twisting at the joints very slightly. I am still tweaking the ergonomics, but once I am done I'll dismantle it, tidy it up a bit and add a lick of paint.

I love the budget builds. Kudos for getting it down to £0 though! That benchmark was a little bit tricky for me as I didn't have enough materials, so I bought £25 of wood from B&Q and ended up with this:

IMG_20210111_111058.jpg

Finally have inverted pedals :) Had to add additional supports because I have a fairly heavy loadcell and it was twisting at the joints very slightly. I am still tweaking the ergonomics, but once I am done I'll dismantle it, tidy it up a bit and add a lick of paint.
Oh wow that looks complicated, I just sat in my seat and measured from there where I wanted my stuff to be, then I sketched this, but the measurements changed throughout the building process.
NUVHkFj.png

I started alomost like @Itcars, just took the measurements from my reallife car instead.

Luckily I left a lot of adjustment room because every measurement changed over time.
Especially with the seating position I´m still trying to find the optimum.
What works quite well in my GT86 was way too cramped on the simrig.

That was easy because my rig is built from aluminium profile gifted by a friend.
( It´s former life was a heavy duty shelf in a workshop I think)

That made alterations and additions quite easy. As often proclaimed here:
" If you think your rig is finished, THINK AGAIN"

So even if I had the money I still would go the DIY route again.

MFG Carsten

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes