Seat Leon TCR - 2018

Cars Seat Leon TCR - 2018 V1.7

Login or Register an account to download this content
Question; Can anyone explain why the tips of the exhaust (ie the parts that are distinctly visible from the rear) are lower poly than the hidden parts of the exhaust?

hiOanTl.jpg
The modeled rear bumber plus exhaust were in every release so far way off the original model.
thumb-1920-906241.jpg
8630592.jpg

Lol yeah i wasn't really gonna bring up any sort of modelling accuracy points because, well, I don't have all day.

My thinking was if you're gonna make a choice to go for a low-poly car (which clearly must be the case here), then why not focus on making it really well optimised (so not wasting tris on near invisible parts such as the underbody exhaust, or not using a whole 1024x2048 texture for something a 128px carbon fibre tile would do).
But as it stands there is about 80MB of textures on something that could probably be done for 1/4 of that and look just the same.

Guys - We never said this was going to be pixel / mm perfect, far from it to be honest. Yes it looks "ok" to the professional trained eye, but when your doing 120mph in a cock pit, are you really / seriously going to stop and take a propaganda (as cockneys would :)) at the 3d model.

Yes I agree, there is loads of optimisation that "could" of been done but we are FAR from experts here.

What I wanted to perfect, as much as I could / can and within my limited self tought knowledge was the handling. It has been said already that you can trail brake like the real thing, the car reacts like it should hence why it is being used by professional racing drivers at IZONE @ Silverstone, so I have done something right (for a change)

Also @formulaHEINE this is the Seat Leon thread :thumbsup:

wrong_car.jpg

It might not look "the nuts" but it certainly handles like them :D

Cheers

Shaun

I haven't had the oppurtunity to try to mod yet, but I really have to inform you of a thing that would otherwise annoy a lot of people and leave you looking quite silly sometimes.

"Could of" is not a thing. It's "could have" or, if you feel the need to shorten it, "could've".

But, seeing the pictures of the model, I too am surprised with the priorities here... this isn't really only a matter of not being a Pro, seems more like a weird sense of priorities in wrong places.

(...or not using a whole 1024x2048 texture for something a 128px carbon fibre tile would do).
This texture doesn't contain just a carbon fibre texture and its done by the original creator of the Seat Leon.
We've not done the car completely new. We just try to improve it and bring it in different versions back to the community.
It's not a secret for you I think.

Will a "128px carbon fibre" be still able to contain different logo's and writing on it like you can see at the different liveries and parts of the car?

...so graphics first?

No, but like it was mentioned before, having hidden parts more complex in shape than the parts you actually see seems weird for optimization for me. Why make parts most people will never see so complex, as it both impacts performance and time you could spend on more visible parts?

I understand not being perfect, I mean nothing is really.

But not striving to do the best? Not aiming to do better next time? Settling for something visually inferior but yet not even benefiting in other areas such as more FPS?

I don't know if its just me, but you don't have to be an expert to try and better yourself. It wouldn't take much to make this SEAT a very well optimised machine with no loss to visual quality. Again, maybe its just me, but I'm not sure where the satisfaction would be without pushing to improve.

Will a "128px carbon fibre" be still able to contain different logo's and writing on it like you can see at the different liveries and parts of the car?

Yes. Use the alpha channel properly on the diffuse, you can combine logos etc on the diffuse with the sharpness and quality of a tiled detail texture. You also have the benefit of using the alpha channel on the detail texture to control specularity which will improve the appearance of the CF in the sunshine.

*example of having logos no problem alongside a nice CF tiled texture:
wbmaB4B.jpg

Anyway, don't take any offence to my posts. Its just one 'non-expert' to another. I've made some suggestions, take it or leave it.
I enjoy hearing the opinions and pointers from other creators of my own work, as I know how easy it is to get tunnel vision on your own projects, and can often miss things that are so obvious to someone else looking in.

Last edited:
I think I might have a similar problem to VitaminZeth. Go to load any session with the car and it goes through the loading screen but just kicks me back to the launcher. Car shows up in showroom so all the pieces are there at least, just doesn't want to go on track. :p Previous version of the car (1.3) worked fine for me. Any help would be appreciated.

I think I might have a similar problem to VitaminZeth. Go to load any session with the car and it goes through the loading screen but just kicks me back to the launcher. Car shows up in showroom so all the pieces are there at least, just doesn't want to go on track. :p Previous version of the car (1.3) worked fine for me. Any help would be appreciated.
Have you done a complete "fresh" reinstalling of the car? There are any issues in the error logs maybe?

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.