Samsung 2020 - G7 & G9 1000R Monitors

Mr Latte

Premium
It seems a long way since CES 2020 in Jan when these were first announced and shown.
G7 as of writing appears to be available to order and G9 is to ship from mid-July.

I am currently building a cockpit to incorporate the 49" model, but have had mixed thoughts on going with this incredible looking 1000R display or the new CX OLED 48" TV.

In fairness, I have been swaying towards this 49" Super Ultrawide format with it suiting sim racing and good with multi-tasking and no borders or hassle with multi-screens.

I personally intend to wait however to later in the year as a few months after release we can usually see from previous versions they drop a couple of hundred quid @ £1100 to about £1000.

Last year's model was well-received by owners so it should be a superb display with the new improvements it brings. 1000R with apparently faster response and official Nvidia Gsync seems to be the more interesting factors.

Will be interesting to see upcoming reviews on these rather exciting looking displays. I wonder too if some would consider triple G7 monitors?

If interested feel free to discuss or share your own thoughts and user opinions if you buy.

G9 49"

Info:

Intro:

C49G95T
Product Detail:

G7 32" & 27"
Info:

Intro:

C32G75T
Product Detail 32"

C27G75T
Product Detail 27"

Additional Info:

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Subscribed ! :)

I'm about to upgrade to the latest firmware (I'm using the one just before).

I'm only using AC.
I did setup as triple screen and configured with the in game app as 3x40cm screens with 13° if I recall correctly.

I'll take a look at the link you shared. Thanks !
For triples setup you don't need FOV, it's ignored. Perhaps just use 23 degrees for spinners as per diagram above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
With the curve getting much greater using 1000R. What are owners' opinions for those that moved from the previous models to the G9. Did it help bring more immersion?

Or is it a bit of a gimmick as a user's FOV should easily let them see the whole monitor, with minimal head turning?

Picture quality wise the 2021 revision will not just benefit from HDR with the much better per-pixel lighting and it's good to see a "monitor" starting to reach the picture quality aspects of some TVs. Yet monitors are not becoming more TV-like, rather than TVs are becoming better at being gaming displays.

I have to say I really am pulled in what direction to go for my own build, having been keeping abreast of things but still too early to commit yet. I still like the idea of a bigger 4K display with much better image quality that can be pushed back or pulled in closer and models like below with nice new tech features, or just run some titles in window mode with 21:9 or 32:9

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Or is it a bit of a gimmick as a user's FOV should easily let them see the whole monitor, with minimal head turning?
You actually need to turn your head more to see the edge of the monitor on curve like that.
The main benefit is to fill peripheral vision, to create "surrounded by image" effect.

Upvote 0
With the curve getting much greater using 1000R. What are owners' opinions for those that moved from the previous models to the G9. Did it help bring more immersion?

There is no big difference in terms of wrapping effect. The curvature is bending the outer screen edges more towards your eye, but overall the effect is minimal in my book. The 1800R is a bit wider in dimension than the 1000R as a consequence. I can still see the whole screen with peripheral view.
There is no real need in head turning other than focusing on corner apexes, where peripheral view is not enough.
At short distance viewing (as we are doing) the distance from the eye to the screen is closer to being the same on every point of the screen however.

So for sim racing the G9 should be better suited than the RG90 (if your projection correction can keep up ingame...).
For content creation, desktop work where the viewing distance is higher I like the 1800R curvature more.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Based on the diagram from last page eyes to screen distance is the same to center and edges at 1140mm.
Not sure why it's not 1000mm for R1000.
I am at 600mm and definitely some active head turning is required to look at mirrors and apexes. But that movement works almost natural with TrackIR that adds a little view panning.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Based on the diagram from last page eyes to screen distance is the same to center and edges at 1140mm.
Not sure why it's not 1000mm for R1000.
I am at 600mm and definitely some active head turning is required to look at mirrors and apexes. But that movement works almost natural with TrackIR that adds a little view panning.
By looking closer, 1140 is horizontal screen span. So the equal distance is 1000mm.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Gergő just posted some very useful info on Projection correction and triple screen impact.
pankykapus said:
It distorts the image, as it applies a sphere distortion, which is why the performance impact cannot be compared 1:1.

50% projection correction requires around 10% more res scale, and 100% requires 15-20% more to offset the clarity loss in the centre.
The curve of the G9 would justify the correction being maxed out, but it depends on what resolution upscaling you can afford. On the older gen Samsung ultrawide on my home rig I run 50% and 110 res scale.

I would still recommend projection correction to be used on curved ultrawide monitors, as that's what it's there for. Triple projection has an approximately 20-25% performance impact, I don't think the extra res scale is as taxing, depending on GPU.

Upvote 0
Gergő just posted some very useful info on Projection correction and triple screen impact.
Thank you for the heads-up.
For me it has a big performance impact though. The difference in image quality of 100% compared to 120% res scale is not that big that I'd sacrifice ~20FPS.

[EDIT] To be fair the res scale factor was more noticeable on the HG90.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

@DrRob, discovered some nasty issue with Projection Correction, turned it off for the sake of image quality. Isn't that what Kunos had before they implemented "proper" triple screen support (in quotes as white bars and contrast switch between virtual screens is awful)?
Also noticed some occasional vertical bars flickering during ACC races in HDR.
Turned out it's horrible G9 local dimming, turning it off fixed issue completely.
Turned out that this occasional flickering on the left side of monitor is a widespread issue, you can find lots of posts on reddit, this is more official from Samsung support.
Bottom line, this is manufacturing defect and if you experience anything like that, demand replacement.
My replacement G9 (manufactured Jan 2021) has zero of this flicker even with local dimming enabled. Doesn't seem to crackle, even a little bit, either.
One more thing, @DrRob as you mentioned how bad ACC looks like in HDR, I think I narrowed it down to wrong default HDR settings. In View/HDR Exposure is set by default to 0.75, it should be 1.0 with G9 or daylight driving looks dim and night just impossible. It is different from Exposure in Graphics settings, which I believe is only for SDR.
Also REC2020 HDR profile in Graphics settings (must be default) works better.

Upvote 0
@Andrew_WOT Thank you for the info. I wonder why the new G7/9 see so many issues.
I am still on non-HDR / 120 Hz and couldn't see any artefacts resulting from the monitor itself (or....ignorance is bliss?) :roflmao:

Cheers, will try your suggestion on HDR. Just did short test again yesterday and it looks so awful out of the box. I feel the colours are wrong, the exposure is wrong, etc.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

The problem is not new and was around since the very beginning plus some others like scan lines at 240hz, flickering with special animation gif, etc. Samsung dropped a ball with this one. Some folks went through as many as 3 units before getting good one or giving up. So it's more like a lottery than anyrhing else.
Have you tried HDR video from youtube, how that one looks? (example) I think my first unit had lesser HDR than new one, at least now it's comparable with LG 38". And ACC does look better in HDR vs SDR after fixing HDR Exposure. Not sure if this is hardware or settings differences.

Upvote 0
The problem is not new and was around since the very beginning plus some others like scan lines at 240hz, flickering with special animation gif, etc. Samsung dropped a ball with this one. Some folks went through as many as 3 units before getting good one or giving up. So it's more like a lottery than anyrhing else.
Have you tried HDR video from youtube, how that one looks? (example) I think my first unit had lesser HDR than new one, at least now it's comparable with LG 38". And ACC does look better in HDR vs SDR after fixing HDR Exposure. Not sure if this is hardware or settings differences.
Hmm...cheers man...I can't get my head around how HDR looks for me.
Maybe you can share your exact settings ingame (options and view settings)?
Did you change anything on the monito itself?
HDR exposure 1.0 turns all white nuances into one mushy overly bright blob. I had to go the other way to 0.5 to fix overexposure.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Hmm...cheers man...I can't get my head around how HDR looks for me.
Maybe you can share your exact settings ingame (options and view settings)?
Did you change anything on the monito itself?
HDR exposure 1.0 turns all white nuances into one mushy overly bright blob. I had to go the other way to 0.5 to fix overexposure.
That doesn't sound right.
Do you have dynamic contrast enabled in monitor settings perhaps, turn it off.
What is the brightness setting in there (monitor setup) when playing HDR material, default is 20, it's pretty close to ideal accordingly to i1Profiler when I was calibrating mine.
Try enable HDR in Windows settings and try that video I linked.
For the rest, outside of HDR Exposure I have pretty much all stuff at defaults. Attached are my settings, not everything maxed out as it's for 1080Ti but you can look at other settings, like color profile, saturation, etc.
The engine.ini is stock.

EDIT: And Picture mode in Monitor settings is Custom. With Color Tone Normal.

Attachments

• SCREEN.json
    990 bytes · Views: 70
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

One more thing, I am on the latest NVidia 461.92 driver, guess worth to mention as I've seen people having HDR issues on G9 with different iteration of drivers.

Upvote 0
One more thing, I am on the latest NVidia 461.92 driver, guess worth to mention as I've seen people having HDR issues on G9 with different iteration of drivers.
I was on a known fast older driver (457.51). Normally not really keen on keeping up with the current ones as there have been also some bad iterations performance-wise in between.
I just changed to the latest one, as you advised.

I now deactivated local dimming. This is horible in HDR! Now much better.
But still, the exposure is way too much on 1.0, no details in white areas ingame. It seems to be better with 0.1 and then cranking the brightness, but that is obviously the wrong approach.

The video was playing fine and seemed correct in terms of colour, brightness, contrast!
So most likely related to 3D application or ACC specifically.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Super odd, you can test with some other HDR titles, FH4 (now on Steam), Horizon Zero Dawn, Destiny 2, Shadows of Tomb Raider, RDR2. Wondering if Samsung tuned backlight midway, I remember earlier complaints about heat and super bright settings out of the box.
And I can't find backlight settings like on TV and brightness settings has no effect in HDR. Odd.

One more thing when video was playing did it show HDR icon, or just 4K. You did activate HDR in Win 10 before playing it, right?
1616434499048.png

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Anybody using the monitor for movies watching?
Netflix?
Looking to get rid of my TV and get a G9 as an all-rounder.
16:9 or even 21:9 (standard wide) material will only take small portion of its screen, so it will be like watching something on a very small monitor.
If you need all rounder, 21:9 38" LG is a better choice, much better HDR implementation and gorgeous saturated colors (IPS panel), and VRR starts at 48fps, not 60 as on G9.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Some recommendations from NVidia on how to properly use HDR settings.
While ACC switches to HDR automatically unlike some other titles, it seems it's still the safest way to match Windows HDR settings and game.

Upvote 0
I can report back that I managed to get HDR working for me! Finally.
Previously I installed firmware 1008.1 and now updated to the recent Nvidia drivers.
I fiddled with the ingame settings to make it lool less comic that on the original settings.

The main point was that I completely forgot that I still had a filter activated with ReShade, which ruined the HDR picture completely. Once I unticked the filter, I had a good base to start from. I could kick myself for not noticing earlier.
Thank you again everybody that helped me!

The monitor is by the way set to Brightness 30, Contrast 50, Sharpness 60, Colour "normal". Local dimming off.
In the ACC menu I selected the neutral white balance, default tone mapping and REC2020 gamut.
In view settings I use HDR exposure 1.0 and HDR contrast 0.5.
[EDIT] I decreased saturation to 90.

The important note is that is still have to use 120Hz setting. Switching to 240Hz gives me frequent black screens ingame.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back