Samsung 2020 - G7 & G9 1000R Monitors

Mr Latte

Premium
It seems a long way since CES 2020 in Jan when these were first announced and shown.
G7 as of writing appears to be available to order and G9 is to ship from mid-July.

I am currently building a cockpit to incorporate the 49" model, but have had mixed thoughts on going with this incredible looking 1000R display or the new CX OLED 48" TV.

In fairness, I have been swaying towards this 49" Super Ultrawide format with it suiting sim racing and good with multi-tasking and no borders or hassle with multi-screens.

I personally intend to wait however to later in the year as a few months after release we can usually see from previous versions they drop a couple of hundred quid @ £1100 to about £1000.

Last year's model was well-received by owners so it should be a superb display with the new improvements it brings. 1000R with apparently faster response and official Nvidia Gsync seems to be the more interesting factors.

Will be interesting to see upcoming reviews on these rather exciting looking displays. I wonder too if some would consider triple G7 monitors?

If interested feel free to discuss or share your own thoughts and user opinions if you buy.

G9 49"

Info:

Intro:

C49G95T
Product Detail:

G7 32" & 27"
Info:

Intro:

C32G75T
Product Detail 32"

C27G75T
Product Detail 27"

Additional Info:

Last edited:
@EsxPaul I enabled VRR in conjunction with G-Sync. I also use the 120Hz mode as I had nasty black screens in games with the 240Hz setting.
I didn't really change much in the Nvidia drivers settings other than G-Sync IIRC.
If you install new drivers, tick the "clean install" box during the setup menus. Might help to have a fresh install.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I installed the .exe file that I downloaded from the Samsung support page. Not sure if there is anything additional I needed to do on the driver side?
You need to launch that after and choose which port monitor is connected to.
1618779670166.png

There is Adaptive Sync under Game and VRR Control under System. Both should be ON. And G-Sync enabled in NVidia CPL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
You need to launch that after and choose which port monitor is connected to.
View attachment 466640

There is Adaptive Sync under Game and VRR Control under System. Both should be ON. And G-Sync enabled in NVidia CPL.

Thanks, Andrew. The Samsung monitor installer is the one I executed and I did choose the DP option so I should be good there.

I'll go and enable VRR, check the Nvidia CPL settings and see if that changes anything. Thanks for the help and tips :)

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

One more thing. Two latest drivers from NVidia have buggy HDR mapping. Try to stick with 461.92, it looks much better.
Also ACC seems to run smoother with Low Latency Mode Off. Not sure why, all other titles run better with it On.

Upvote 0
One more thing. Two latest drivers from NVidia have buggy HDR mapping. Try to stick with 461.92, it looks much better.
Also ACC seems to run smoother with Low Latency Mode Off. Not sure why, all other titles run better with it On.
Cheers Andrew! I didn't know that. Will try this out later this evening. Is this common knowledge to be found on the net or your personal observations? In any case I always appreciate such insights.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Well, HDR was ruined in Horizon Zero Dawn and RDR2, it looked like if you run HDR mapping on non HDR screen.
ACC wasn't that bad, but felt off, crushed black, pale colors. So I switch to SDR to get former beauty back. Reinstalled 461.92 and all went back to normal, I went through this exercise more than once, with 465.89 and then with 466.11. Saw some similar reports on the net as well.
For Low Latency (flip queue), I guess deferred rendering ACC is using works better with queued frames, Outriders, another UE4 title, on the other hand runs better with Low Latency On, but it looks like it's using forward rendering as you can enable MSAA via config file.

Upvote 0
Thanks you for the explanation @Andrew_WOT !
Observation: I think I noticed a slight performance drop in ACC when going from 465.89 to 461.92.
The change in HDR visuals was not that apparent to me to be honest, but will keep the older driver for now.
Thanks again for the pointers.

Upvote 0
Not gaming related but I've had a ton of work related PC issues since the KB5001330 update last week. It only had one job and that was to remove and replace the old Edge. Instead, it totally messed up the drivers for the RS232 emulator I use. Spent hours trying to nail down the culprit :mad:

Upvote 0
At long last, I've managed to get it connected up to my New PC. It's definitely a great monitor for desktop related stuff (especially using the PowerToys Fancy Zones software) but it doesn't quite manage to replace that immersive feeling of gaming in VR for me personally.

PowerToys.jpg

IMG_2021.jpg

Next thing on the list is to own a cell phone that takes a non blurry picture :roflmao:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Some observation after getting RTX 3080 with DSC support that let me finally use 240hz mode.
For some weird reason ACC runs much smoother in 240hz mode even that it very rarely exceeds 120fps, in 120hz mode there is some unevenness in framerate, almost like micro stuttering strobing effect in turns when scenery changes quickly. In 240hz it's buttery smooth. :O_o:

Upvote 0
Some observation after getting RTX 3080 with DSC support that let me finally use 240hz mode.
For some weird reason ACC runs much smoother in 240hz mode even that it very rarely exceeds 120fps, in 120hz mode there is some unevenness in framerate, almost like micro stuttering strobing effect in turns when scenery changes quickly. In 240hz it's buttery smooth. :O_o:

I'm glad you've brought this up, Andrew. I thought I might be the only one as nobody has mentioned it before. I've noticed this constantly using the same gpu, monitor and 120Hz setting.

I was going to post about this over at GD as I was starting to have the suspicion that there might be some link between a vehicle being in a slide and framerate. Felt to me like the physics/framerate were stuttering simultaneously although I wasn't noting the fps when this was happening.

I've got my ACC settings low enough to hold 119/120 constant but still noticed that the scenery micro stuttered when going through a turn.

As soon as you exit a corner/finish sliding everything becomes smooth again. Very jarring and I found it is most repeatable at the first chicane and first Lesmo at Monza.

Thanks for the 240Hz tip. I'll give that a go :)

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

240hz mode/DSC brings another issue though that I was trying to troubleshoot. After long standby PC just reboots on wake up. Happens to me as I have two monitors connected, one DSC and another regular, think something happens on wake up handshake causing illegal memory access forcing reboot.
This post describes my situation exactly.

Upvote 0
240hz mode/DSC brings another issue though that I was trying to troubleshoot. After long standby PC just reboots on wake up. Happens to me as I have two monitors connected, one DSC and another regular, think something happens on wake up handshake causing illegal memory access forcing reboot.
This post describes my situation exactly.
Hhhmm not sure if it’s related to my issues also then
Loads of times I restart my pc and screens just black but pc won’t start I literally have to take the memory modules out and put them back the ram sticks to flush it

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

@EsxPaul , found the issue.
Monitor settings/System/VRR Control. Set it to Off for non 240hz mode.
Butter smooth now at 120hz.

Upvote 0
@EsxPaul , found the issue.
Monitor settings/System/VRR Control. Set it to Off for non 240hz mode.
Butter smooth now at 120hz.

Thanks for investigating this :thumbsup:

Do you think there would be any advantages/disadvantages between running 240Hz VRR on and 120Hz VRR off which have brought you to having a preference?

I've not spent too much time with the 240Hz option as I figured I'd never really be able to push much further than 120fps in most scenarios.

Upvote 0
To add: I tried 120Hz with VRR off and I can still notice the micro stutter :unsure:

It's very obvious if you look at the large electronic advertising board on the first chicane at Monza. One other (small) downside for me was back-light strobing. Doesn't happen in game so no big deal, but it's very noticeable whenever there is a grey backdrop. For example, when using the profile manager inside of SimHub.

I only notice these micro stutters with ACC and nowhere else so I've gone back to 120Hz VRR on for now.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Turned out that VRR induced microstutter is common among G7 and G9 owners. VRR control was put in to help with flickering in 240hz some users experiencing, it's not needed for 120hz mode.
With it off framerate at 120hz is just as smooth as at 240, running both with HDR.
I'd prefer to run in DSC mode that requires activation of 240hz in OSD, after that you can use either 240 or 120 in NVidia settings BUT you can use 10bit color. Without DSC 120hz is limited to 8bit, but you wouldn't get reboots on wake ups in multi monitors configuration or occasional blackout freezes when switching between them.
I also use these setting in Windows graphics, GPU scheduling can cause stuttering especially in VR, and for VRR option, for me it helped with some titles like Destiny 2 and I haven't noticed any ill effects otherwise, so keep it on.
1623078034685.png

In game frame cap is off, VSync off, Full Screen
In NVidia, Low latency on, VSync on, GSync active.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

One more, relevant to stuttering or not but I set Scaling mode to "No Scaling" in NVidia based on some suggestions on reddit.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back