Samsung 2020 - G7 & G9 1000R Monitors

Mr Latte

Premium
It seems a long way since CES 2020 in Jan when these were first announced and shown.
G7 as of writing appears to be available to order and G9 is to ship from mid-July.

I am currently building a cockpit to incorporate the 49" model, but have had mixed thoughts on going with this incredible looking 1000R display or the new CX OLED 48" TV.

In fairness, I have been swaying towards this 49" Super Ultrawide format with it suiting sim racing and good with multi-tasking and no borders or hassle with multi-screens.

I personally intend to wait however to later in the year as a few months after release we can usually see from previous versions they drop a couple of hundred quid @ £1100 to about £1000.

Last year's model was well-received by owners so it should be a superb display with the new improvements it brings. 1000R with apparently faster response and official Nvidia Gsync seems to be the more interesting factors.

Will be interesting to see upcoming reviews on these rather exciting looking displays. I wonder too if some would consider triple G7 monitors?

If interested feel free to discuss or share your own thoughts and user opinions if you buy.

G9 49"

Info:

Intro:

C49G95T
Product Detail:

G7 32" & 27"
Info:

Intro:

C32G75T
Product Detail 32"

C27G75T
Product Detail 27"

Additional Info:

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Without DSC support it's only 8bit at 120hz and can't even do full resolution at 240hz. Well, not much to do until I get Ampere.
Also had some weird occasional screen shaking, thought got a lemon, until replaced my 15 ft DP cable with one that came with monitor, seems like it need DP 1.4 certified to work right. Ordered one, hope that one will work for 15 ft as OEM is pretty short, so is power cable, but that one was easy to replace. ACC looks stunning in HDR.
It's not VR, but definitely more immersive than 42" 16:9 flat screen it replaced, easier on GPU than G2 too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Round two. Loving this monitor arm so far, think I'll ditch the Simcore dash for now ;)
And now I can use the monitor for work and normal gaming.

Attachments

• EEE32835-9DF5-4B73-A19A-6044CEDDA2EF.jpeg
    EEE32835-9DF5-4B73-A19A-6044CEDDA2EF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Also had some weird occasional screen shaking, thought got a lemon, until replaced my 15 ft DP cable with one that came with monitor, seems like it need DP 1.4 certified to work right. Ordered one, hope that one will work for 15 ft as OEM is pretty short,
Yep, this 16ft puppy works, in case anyone shopping for the right cable.
I am sharing PC between desktop and rig setup so needed longer one.

Haven't observed any usually reported issues like extra heat or crackling noises. Could be because brightness is down to like 21 based on X-Rite calibration. So far so good.
Was in awe racing ACC in rain yesterday. Best looking rain implementation out there, so real.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Why on Earth did they hide USB and audio ports under clip-on cover, makes no sense whatsoever? :O_o:

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Did you guys see that, new VRR Control option under System in OSD Menu.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

So, how do you guys deal with stretched side mirrors?
Mostly looking for AC, ACC, R3E instructions.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

What do you guys use for Rotation spinner, 30 degrees?
And in ACC, is it just Projection correction? Seems like setting it to 1.0 fixes mirror stretching.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

@DrRob, discovered some nasty issue with Projection Correction, turned it off for the sake of image quality. Isn't that what Kunos had before they implemented "proper" triple screen support (in quotes as white bars and contrast switch between virtual screens is awful)?
Also noticed some occasional vertical bars flickering during ACC races in HDR.
Turned out it's horrible G9 local dimming, turning it off fixed issue completely.
Unfortunately, the Samsung Odyssey G9's local dimming is terrible, and it only works in HDR, not in SDR mode. There are only vertical lighting zones, so the entire column lights up if there's a small object anywhere on the screen. When lit, the black level rises significantly and is very distracting, as there's a big difference between the zones that are lit and those that aren't. Zone transition seems to be faster in the middle than at the edges of the screen, so while the center zones react quickly to objects going in and out, the zones at the edges of the screen are almost always on. Overall, it looks better without local dimming in regular HDR content.

Upvote 0
@DrRob, discovered some nasty issue with Projection Correction, turned it off for the sake of image quality. Isn't that what Kunos had before they implemented "proper" triple screen support (in quotes as white bars and contrast switch between virtual screens is awful)?
Also noticed some occasional vertical bars flickering during ACC races in HDR.
Turned out it's horrible G9 local dimming, turning it off fixed issue completely.
Not using HDR or local dimming. Hate the look.
BTW triples was better some patches ago not having that grading issue.
I optimized again and the distortion is far les pronounced now in 1.0 PC. Not exactly sure why tbh.
Overall the G9 IS quite the monster. Still love it.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

With local dimming disabled ACC is pretty stunning in HDR.
Spreadsheet for correct curved screens FOV calculations, download locally and changed params to match your monitor.

Upvote 0
Subscribed ! :)

I'm about to upgrade to the latest firmware (I'm using the one just before).

I'm only using AC.
I did setup as triple screen and configured with the in game app as 3x40cm screens with 13° if I recall correctly.

I'll take a look at the link you shared. Thanks !

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back