Samsung 2020 - G7 & G9 1000R Monitors

Mr Latte

Premium
It seems a long way since CES 2020 in Jan when these were first announced and shown.
G7 as of writing appears to be available to order and G9 is to ship from mid-July.

I am currently building a cockpit to incorporate the 49" model, but have had mixed thoughts on going with this incredible looking 1000R display or the new CX OLED 48" TV.

In fairness, I have been swaying towards this 49" Super Ultrawide format with it suiting sim racing and good with multi-tasking and no borders or hassle with multi-screens.

I personally intend to wait however to later in the year as a few months after release we can usually see from previous versions they drop a couple of hundred quid @ £1100 to about £1000.

Last year's model was well-received by owners so it should be a superb display with the new improvements it brings. 1000R with apparently faster response and official Nvidia Gsync seems to be the more interesting factors.

Will be interesting to see upcoming reviews on these rather exciting looking displays. I wonder too if some would consider triple G7 monitors?

If interested feel free to discuss or share your own thoughts and user opinions if you buy.

G9 49"

Info:

Intro:

C49G95T
Product Detail:

G7 32" & 27"
Info:

Intro:

C32G75T
Product Detail 32"

C27G75T
Product Detail 27"

Additional Info:

Last edited:
The important note is that is still have to use 120Hz setting. Switching to 240Hz gives me frequent black screens ingame.

This is pure speculation by me but I wonder if the quality of display cable might be the cause of this?

I purchased a 5 metre cable and even though it was fairly expensive, the specs stated "4K 120Hz" so I'm guessing that it wouldn't have the bandwidth required to display a 240Hz signal.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I had my share of issues with cable too. This post contains link to one that worked. You need DP 1.4, but of course as I am still on Pascal that does not support DSC, 240hz is not supported in full res.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link, Andrew. That seems like a better spec than the one I ordered and I should have paid a bit more attention when buying. I haven't yet had a chance to use it but I'll go for the one you are using if I come across any issues.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

It could be just fluffier eye catching title. By looking at the details it still listed as

• 8K - 7680x4320 @ 60Hz, 10-bit color, RGB 4:4:4, HDR, DSC
  • 4K - 3840x2160 @ 120Hz, 10-bit color, RGB 4:4:4, HDR
  • 2K - 2560x1440 @ 60Hz, 120Hz, 144Hz, 165Hz
  • HD - 1920x1080 @ 60Hz, 120Hz, 144Hz, 165Hz
So not sure what 4k/240hz means, perhaps with DSC, doesn't meant that the one you are getting doesn't support it as DSC is part of DP 1.4 spec.

Upvote 0
With local dimming disabled ACC is pretty stunning in HDR.
Spreadsheet for correct curved screens FOV calculations, download locally and changed params to match your monitor.
Saw this just now. DOH!
Do you actually use this calculator for 1000R correction and convert hFov in vFov?
If I use that I have to use 41° instead of 32° for ACC!
Completely different setup. Wonder now if this is actually "correct" or not.
But ACC uses vFOV, so wouldn't matter if the screen would be curve or not?!
What do you use? *confused*
Cheers!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I don't use triple screen setup in ACC as it's performance hog and adds these blurry vertical lines.
Projection correction is also a no go for me as it requires > 100% resolution scale otherwise there is image degradation.
So I initially tried to use the number from spreadsheet, matching adjusted horizontal to vertical. But after a while realized that it's way too wide without projection correction.
I have tried to match perspective of triple screen setup with single screen and ended up with original "classical" FOV numbers. So it's 32 vFOV and 92hFOV for me at 58cm distance. https://andyf.me/fovcalc.html

Upvote 0
I don't use triple screen setup in ACC as it's performance hog and adds these blurry vertical lines.
Projection correction is also a no go for me as it requires > 100% resolution scale otherwise there is image degradation.
So I initially tried to use the number from spreadsheet, matching adjusted horizontal to vertical. But after a while realized that it's way too wide without projection correction.
I have tried to match perspective of triple screen setup with single screen and ended up with original "classical" FOV numbers. So it's 32 vFOV and 92hFOV for me at 58cm distance. https://andyf.me/fovcalc.html
Cheers mate. Im on 60cm viewing distance. Actually the wider vFOV with projection correction didn't seem too wrong. I tried triples to see where I would end up and read somewhere to use 400mm for one screen in conjunction with the G9 (not sure this is valid). ....with 30° monitor angle this looked very similar to the 41° vFOV.
Hence my overall confusion.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Cheers mate. Im on 60cm viewing distance. Actually the wider vFOV with projection correction didn't seem too wrong. I tried triples to see where I would end up and read somewhere to use 400mm for one screen in conjunction with the G9 (not sure this is valid). ....with 30° monitor angle this looked very similar to the 41° vFOV.
Hence my overall confusion.
Yes, with projection correction at max "adjusted" FOV was spot on with Triple setup, should have mentioned that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Yes, with projection correction at max "adjusted" FOV was spot on with Triple setup, should have mentioned that.
Heyho, just checked performace figures again.
At least from a first check I cannot second Gergös numbers.
I've seen 5% more GFX load with triple setup. But with 120% res scale I see 25% more GFX load.... :O_o:
What did you encounter as performance penalty from single to triple?

And did you find a way to make the vertical lines disappear in triple screen mode?
Cheers!

[EDIT] NVM, in night settings or rain the performance loss i triple and 120% res scale is pretty comparable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

You can increase resolution to like 2%. This makes lines less noticeable, some suggest that decreasing also works, but it didn't for me.

Upvote 0
@Andrew_WOT did you move to a single ultrawide finally?
I'm honestly debating changing myself.
I really really love racing in VR, but honestly the immersion is starting to lose out with the performance loss. And I am starting to think developers won't consider VR to be a primary front for optimizations because of how low a percentage of users we are.

The only reason I still race iRacing is because the only other sim that runs and looks good in VR is AMS2 and it's just so under developed. I would prefer to shift to ACC but even with a 3080, I'm not too happy with the framerates.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Hi Ted. I just got sick of waiting for 3080 to fix performance problems to get visuals to acceptable quality, caught myself spending more time tuning image quality and performance than racing.
I honestly got G9 just to try out with very low expectation, but it surprised me.
Never thought that I'll be enjoying flat (curved) screen so much after VR, but the immersion of fully surrounding you view in eye watering HDR quality makes up for a loss of 3D depth.
Head tracking makes it feel almost VR like experience.
And no scuba mask on the face.

Upvote 0
Hi Ted. I just got sick of waiting for 3080 to fix performance problems to get visuals to acceptable quality, caught myself spending more time tuning image quality and performance than racing.
I honestly got G9 just to try out with very low expectation, but it surprised me.
Never thought that I'll be enjoying flat (curved) screen so much after VR, but the immersion of fully surrounding you view in eye watering HDR quality makes up for a loss of 3D depth.
Head tracking makes it feel almost VR like experience.
And no scuba mask on the face.
That's exactly my position.
With ACC, I think I'm at a happy point, and then some specific track/weather combination has horrible stuttering that makes my head hurt or some straight where I'm looking further into the distance and the FSAA stops helping to make it less jagged so I end up squinting more, and then I spend another hour or two tweaking settings trying to make it look/run well again.

I was pretty disappointed to see that even an RTX 3080 and 5600X with fast memory didn't make ACC smooth. I use settings people online say look good, and I think I don't know how they can call it smooth when for me it's still stuttering. And then I look at my frametimes and it's 20-30ms frame times, some times spiking to 70-100 ms which is honestly just really bad.
On a single display, it's just always 150+ FPS even on Epic at 1440P, so I feel like adding one more 1440P shouldn't hurt that bad, but I just don't like the idea of triples.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I don't know how they do certification, but HDR600 of LG 38GN950 kills Samsung G9 HDR1000. In fact can be too bright and fatiguing on eyes.

Upvote 0
After 5 months of it sitting in it's box, I've finally got it fitted up :)

I've installed the driver and updated the firmware to 1010.2. I was a little bit disappointed to see a single dead pixel but it's up in the very far right, top hand corner so I'm going to let that pass.

IMG_20210417_162321.jpg

One thing I have noticed is that the GPU is now constantly running it's fans at low speed even when I'm on the desktop. I'm not sure if that's to be expected now that there are extra pixels to push? The fans would always be off when in the same situation with my previous monitor (Dell U2515H) :thumbsdown:

Screenshot 2021-04-18 114215.jpg

I'm not too fussed as I should have my new PC built within the next few weeks but it would be good to know if you guys think this could be a hardware issue.

Upvote 0
@EsxPaul My GFX card is absolutely silent in desktop mode. Temperatures in the 30s at the moment in desktop.
Maybe theres something to be optimized in the EVGA menu?
I tweaked the GFX card with Afterburner to be silent in desktop mode and not go beyond 70°C when fully loaded.

P.S.: Rig looks the business with the monitor, the wheel and the button box. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did you install additional drivers from Samsung.

I installed the .exe file that I downloaded from the Samsung support page. Not sure if there is anything additional I needed to do on the driver side?
@EsxPaul My GFX card is absolutely silent in desktop mode. Temperatures in the 30s at the moment in desktop.
Maybe theres something to be optimized in the EVGA menu?
I tweaked the GFX card with Afterburner to be silent in desktop mode and not go beyond 70°C when fully loaded.

P.S.: Rig looks the business with the monitor, the wheel and the button box. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Rob :)

It seems as if the gpu isn't clocking down and going into 2D mode which is strange because I've changed nothing at all but the monitor. I see there's a new Nvidia driver so I'll give that a try and see if anything changes.

Questions for anyone...

Perhaps I've missed something in the actual onboard monitor menu.
I've set it to 120Hz but wondered if I also need to enable VRR as it is currently set to 'off'. I'm wondering if that is asking the gpu to drive the desktop at 120Hz at all times?

Also, do I need to check or set anything in the Nvidia Control Panel?

Apologies for the noob questions.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back