AC RSS FIA GT @ VIR - Sunday 22nd January 2023

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
@Interslice Hi Brain, re the data file, opening post says:
Real names update - Install extracted rss_gt_data_real_names_v6 to X:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\content\cars

......do you just drop the data into /cars (and it somehow knows which cars it's supposed to go to??) or into each of the individual cars separately?

Sorry for the numpty question, but I'm getting the checksum error too

Last edited:
Please look at my Screenshot at the bottom first! :roflmao:

@Interslice Hi Brain, re the data file, opening post says:
Real names update - Install extracted rss_gt_data_real_names_v6 to X:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\content\cars

......do you just drop the data into /cars (and it somehow knows which cars it's supposed to go to??) or into each of the individual cars separately?

Sorry for the numpty question, but I'm getting the checksum error too
I attached a screenshot for explanation.
In general you need to bring the zip content and the AC folder content to the "same layer", meaning having the same names.
Then drag the zip content by holding left click into a free area in the destination explorer window and choose "Overwrite all".

Windows compares the "surface folder names" and if they match, integrates the folders into each other.

Wow, these are complicated sentences for something so simple! :roflmao:
I dropped each data file into each corresponding car folder. You might be able to drag it all into your content folder and it might do it automatically, but I know dragging them in one by one works (and saying yes to overwriting data files already in the folders)
Lol that's the paranoid way of doing it :roflmao:

It's NOT as simple as dragging them into the "content" folder though, since it's not the same "layer" then.

Now away with the complicated words. Here's how it works:
Destination:
H:\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\content\cars\rss_gt_ferruccio_55
H:\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\content\cars\rss_gt_ferruccio_57
... etc.

The zip layers are:
H:\GamingDownloads\AC\rss_gt_real_names_fixes_v6.01.7z\rss_gt_data_real_names_v6.zip\rss_gt_data_real_names_v6.zip\rss_gt_ferruccio_55
..etc.

So you need to grab the rss_gt_ferruccio_55 folder from the zip and drag it into the cars folder.
So you see rss_gt_ferrucio_55 in both windows!

If the zip would be like this:
H:\GamingDownloads\AC\rss_gt_real_names_fixes_v6.01.7z\rss_gt_data_real_names_v6.zip\content\cars\rss_gt_ferruccio_55

you could drag the "content" folder from the zip into:
H:\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa

Or you could drag it into CM and CM would integrate everything. Afaik it can only do it when the folder structure begins with "content".
That's why more and more uploads on RD have the "content" folder as the first layer.

Anyway, it's more work for the uploaders since they have to create empty folders to get the folder structure.

Hope that explains everything once and for all?
I'm not sure I would understand my own explanation... :roflmao::cautious:

But in general:
Just make what's inside the zip have the same name(s) as the destination folder(s).

Install_RealNames.jpg

Last edited:
If I didn't see the file go in folder, can I really trust the computer put it there? ;):roflmao:
It's a Windows 7 feature, so after 12 years of using that feature, I'd say we can trust it ;) :roflmao:

If you're paranoid, you could use the search inside the explorer for the content/cars folder an sort the results by "created".
You'll see all the just copied files at the top with their locations next to them :D

Here's a screenshot of it :p
1674343967552.png

And I attached my low aero and high aero setup. The high aero one is definitely faster and better.. But if you plan on blocking everyone through the corners and then bugger off on the straights, the low aero one is great too, lol.

Attachments

• RasmusP_V1_LowAero_2.ini
    1.4 KB · Views: 36
  • RasmusP_V1_HighAero_3.ini
    1.4 KB · Views: 39
Hey Ernie, thought I'd put your quotes into this thread instead of the general championship thread, since you were talking about VIR.
Hope that's fine for you! Otherwise I'd split the quotes and reply in both threads but... No :p
These cars are quite sensitive to setup, but you can do very little if anything about power oversteer.
Yes, but you can just put the power diff to 0% and it drives like high TC values in ACC with a mild drift and quite a long time frame to catch the rear.
It's a bit slower, but way safer!
Only thing that's still deadly then is flooring the throttle in first gear or flooring it on second gear mid right at the apex.
It is unfortunately all about the driver's right foot.
With the diff at 0-5%, you can just put the throttle to 50-80% at the apex and do a little short shifting when the rear starts to snap.
It took me some time to figure that out but I didn't spin at all at road America and now during my 30 practice laps at VIR :)

However, it's sad that there's no throttle-gamma in AC.
You do have premium pedals with software though, right?
So you could create a little plateau between 60-80% to make that area less sensitive, keeping you from going close to 90-100% too quickly.
They are not particularly wing sensitive, taking wing away for me as Rasmus has pointed out.
You think so?
I've found front wing 1 or 2 makes a huuuuuge difference and wing to 6 vs wing to 16 is massive too.
At VIR, going from 16 down to 13 got me spinning at some bumps!
they are not going to be fussy about highish CD values unless you have very long straights
I attached my low aero and high aero setups.
It's 1/6 vs 2/16 iirc.
I had a little practice session with Rob Denton and while I clearly had better exits with the high aero, I could snack him for breakfast on all 3 straights (roller-coaster isn't a straight, but still).
He was in the lambo with highish aero settings.
the designers certainly set them up well, difficult to beat the stock setup.
Yep! David Dominguez is a top notch car physics dude!
Every car is bloody quick out of the box and nicely balanced.
However they are all set up for pros with a tendency to understeer to allow massive acceleration with high power diff values.
If you can control that, it's super fast!

However I always end up fighting the understeer until the apex and then instant spinning, lol

Here's my list. Not for you Ernie, you know all this :D

So every car for me:
- power diff to 0-10%
- rear wing +2
- front camber less, 3 clicks
- rear camber more, 3 clicks
- front arb -1
- front suspension -1
- brake bias to the front until I don't get snaps from the rear under braking due to locking them

- Balance the rotation from braking to back on throttle with the coast diff

In words:
- make exit acceleration way safer with power diff
- clamp the rear down with the wing for stability
- make the front understeer over kerbs
- make the rear have some safe buffer of grip over bumps/kerbs
- get some cornering ability back by softening the front
- make braking safer with front bias towards the front

- Balance out the rotation with the coast diff

Btw the lower power diff also helps getting rid of power-on understeer.
With high values, you have understeer until you're reaching the perfect slip ratio/angle but a tiny bit beyond that and you spin without hope to catch it :(
I always go for the max front wing, it certainly helps front understeer and then makes rear aero balance the front, not worrying too much about the rear wing.
Try my low aero Lister setup and put the front wing to 2.
I'm 99,9% sure that you won't like it :roflmao::roflmao:
Probably why I do not like them at all.:roflmao::roflmao:
They are beasts for sure!
I found that I like them way better when using stronger ffb.
Practice get be tiring, but everything makes more sense when you have the feel of sheer grip and power in your hands!
With weaker ffb, they feel like GT3s with way too low grip...

But when you feel the resistance against turning the steering wheel, you don't dare to turn it too far and spin out :D
The ffb does become lighter when being slow enough.
And you also feel how the ffb becomes lighter when going on the throttle due to the front tyres having less load on them.
Really helps me to feel it!

My Lister settings:
- 30cm rim
- 8-9 Nm wheelbase (csw 2.5 at 100%)
- 40% gain (60% menu, 70% car)

- csp steering range compression to 100%
The csp setting at 150-250% normally boosts lower forces so driving gets more exciting and feels more like power steering.
100% = off.
AC doesn't simulate power steering! You just get the mechanical geometry force at the steering shaft as ffb.

But with these cars you want the big range of the ffb to get the immersion of "don't turn in further mate!"
The most stable and easy to drive is the Saleen S7R and with me driving:O_o: the fastest.
Yeah, the Saleen is great!
But I've read that you changed your mind haha
Never realised that VIR is a very awkward circuit with long straights, so I now
have changed my mind about wing, go low, with less wing.
I will stick with the Lister Storm, for me, they are all as bad as each other.
VIR is probably the most difficult track I've ever learnt.
It's also the only track that I've learnt 3 times and always started almost at zero again...
You have no armco or a change of grass vs gravel so everything looks identical. Also the kerbs are "negative", their high point is at tarmac level, the low point 5cm below the tarmac level.
So you don't really see them when you're just learning the track.

Also the kerbs are very short.
The opposite of Road Atlanta, where everything has a kerb :p

Try my high aero lister setup. It might suprise you how easy that car can be to drive :)
Or maybe not and I'm just getting good at it :D

Rasmus, what do you mean by "- front suspension -1"? Ride height?
Ah sorry! With this I always mean the spring stiffness (often called wheel rate?).
So one click softer!

I actually increased the ride height by 5 clicks at the front and rear. The inside kerb at the very last corner made me bottom out and spin when taking it a bit too aggressively.
Still does, but higher ride height with softer front springs helped a lot!
@Interslice sign me up please with a Saleen, if there's one space left. ;)

Only one practice session so far but a bit free time tonight and again love the combo. Not the track so much but the Saleen is such a fun car...
You don't need to practice anymore!
I saw your times on the server and after doing another 20 laps and optimizing setup, I got 2s faster but just barely faster than your time, lol

Had some problems joining due to checksums and was worried this might be due to the facelift extension for VIR, but all good now - was caused by some missing data files for cars (probably used older version of realnames or something). So happy to confirm that VIR facelift extension works well, if you want to use it: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/virginia-international-raceway-facelift-extension.48294/

P.S. Now just need to get some pace as I'm still secods behind the pace - RSS GT1 can be quite tricky :unsure:

Last edited:
Had some problems joining due to checksums and was worried this might be due to the facelift extension for VIR, but all good now - was caused by some missing data files for cars (probably used older version of realnames or something). So happy to confirm that VIR facelift extension works well, if you want to use it: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/virginia-international-raceway-facelift-extension.48294/

Cool, will check it out! It is certainly a bit washed out looking.

P.S. Now just need to get some pace as I'm still secods behind the pace - RSS GT1 can be quite tricky :unsure:

Don't worry about pace - A crash here will loose you massive time playing lawnmower simulator! First few races is simply about finishing and getting your admin/pitstop etc. running smoothly. It really is, most people who join never make it through this stage!

Fuel is added using a teaspoon. 20 litres = a tyre change. The Standard strategy is 90 - 100 litres and a stop at half way for fresh mediums and 20 litres of juice.

Last edited:

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 63 88.7%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 22 31.0%