rFactor 2: Historic McLarens Updated

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
McLaren rF2 1998.jpg

Studio 397 have updated two of the recent, free McLaren Formula One cars in the simulation.

Bringing about some improvements to both the 1998 McLaren Mercedes MP4/13 and the older Ford powered MP4/8 of 1993, this is only something of a minor update for the recent content, but nevertheless a very welcomed release for what are proving to be two exceptionally popular historic Grand Prix cars recently added to this rapidly developing racing simulation.

Announced at the 2018 Sim Racing Expo in Germany, and released just days later, the ’93 and ’98 McLarens are the latest free content releases to rFactor 2, and mark a very welcome move towards increased appearances of high profile officially licenced content in recent months.

13/10/2018 McLaren Update Notes:

Mclaren MP4/13 - version 1.05
  • Updated wet tread.
  • Added new driver and animations.
  • Fixed tyre blur.
McLaren MP4/8 - version 1.07
  • Updated driver suit material.

McLaren rF2 1993.jpg

rFactor 2 is available exclusively for PC from Steam now.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now!

Like what you see at RaceDepartment? Follow us on social media!

Are you enjoying the new McLaren content in rF2? Happy to see further updates coming to these exceptional new cars? Let us know in the comments section below!

Can you not create a livery file as usual? It would require work to figure out where everything goes I know. Or is the option disabled for these cars?

I downloaded the OWC 1992 F1 mod and select this mod for the AI. This way you have an complete F1 AI field with correct liveries used by the AI. Unfortunately is it is not a 1993 mod but is it better than the fantasy liveries in the mod.
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/asr-formula-owc-91-92.115868/

I downloaded the OWC 1992 F1 mod and select this mod for the AI. This way you have an complete F1 AI field with correct liveries used by the AI. Unfortunately is it is not a 1993 mod but is it better than the fantasy liveries in the mod.
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/asr-formula-owc-91-92.115868/

It is possible to find this mod. Although a little tricky. Great fun though.

Just for those that don’t know. ASR removed it pretty much everywhere as they felt it didn’t meet their new levels of detail at the time. Also make sure you switch off the effects and maybe avoid midday races. This is not a DX11 mod and certain parts flare badly now.

@ theodore Kascinsky, becareful what you say, you might get banned or a warning for having an opinion.
And I don't want the fanboys, claiming you are me with multiple accounts. :sneaky:

I don't care. I own and play rF2 often, I bought the life-time license at day one back the ISI times. I consider rF2 one of the best physics (if not the one) and certainly the best AI among all simulators (I'm not online player currently). I'm even a creator of one track for rF2 which probably a number of my haters have in their HDDs/SSDs.

Having said that, I must say I'm not blind as well.

The GFX is garbage for 2018 standards, simple as that. If you create an hypothetical (GFX quality / Average FPS performance) ratio you'll get the worse cost-benefit ever. If people prefer do not see that or, even worse, are unable to see that, I might only feel for their poor evaluation.

Of course the GP4 x rF2 comparison is just a provocation but based on the reactions above you can see how emotional people become when you say something negative about their precious video-games, it's something like to say their fiancee are ugly. Just pathetic.

I don't care. I own and play rF2 often, I bought the life-time license at day one back the ISI times. I consider rF2 one of the best physics (if not the one) and certainly the best AI among all simulators (I'm not online player currently). I'm even a creator of one track for rF2 which probably a number of my haters have in their HDDs/SSDs.

The GFX is garbage for 2018 standards, simple as that. If you create an hypothetical (GFX quality / Average FPS performance) ratio you'll get the worse cost-benefit ever. If people prefer do not see that or, even worse, are unable to see that, I might only feel for their poor evaluation.

Of course the GP4 x rF2 comparison is just a provocation but based on the reactions above you can see how emotional people become when you say something negative about their precious video-games, it's something like to say their fiancee are ugly. Just pathetic.

It has nothing to do with people being upset or anything, but comments like "Is zis a PS2-games 111?????!!!!" being actually being pretty tiresome to read and getting old. I think we all got it by now, that rF2 isn't the most beautiful game out there, but your comment, wich was nothing more than a provocation according to yourself, makes you rather look like an idiot than someone looking for a constructive discussion. And it doesn't matter if you are a pro modder or average user XYZ. I know alot of things that I regard as total garbage in any game by 2018 standards, but I don't puke into every threat repeating the same old nonesense over and over again just to cause friction. And this is applies to any type of game.

With ISI based titles there has always been a graphical trade off to get those complex physics working on our humble machines. This is a really OLD argument! If rF2 were to be suddenly gifted with ACC's graphics we would all have to wait for an upgrade as a 9900K + 2080Ti just wouldn't cut it.

Enjoying the McLaren's, many thanks to all at S397!

With ISI based titles there has always been a graphical trade off to get those complex physics working on our humble machines. This is a really OLD argument! If rF2 were to be suddenly gifted with ACC's graphics we would all have to wait for an upgrade as a 9900K + 2080Ti just wouldn't cut it.

And honestly if a dev is going to aim for something now I'd rather see them targeting GT Sport replay mode graphics instead, getting that thing running on a dynamic environment and with more visible details (since GTS hide some stuff) will be such a challenge.
I guess I'm just used to UE4 graphics from other games, ACC looks nice but it was nothing "oh my gosh" to me.

This trade simply doesn't exist. You don't have to sacrifice anything to have good graphics, you just need proper development

It has nothing to do with people being upset or anything, but comments like "Is zis a PS2-games 111?????!!!!" being actually being pretty tiresome to read and getting old. I think we all got it by now, that rF2 isn't the most beautiful game out there, but your comment, wich was nothing more than a provocation according to yourself, makes you rather look like an idiot than someone looking for a constructive discussion. And it doesn't matter if you are a pro modder or average user XYZ. I know alot of things that I regard as total garbage in any game by 2018 standards, but I don't puke into every threat repeating the same old nonesense over and over again just to cause friction. And this is applies to any type of game.
Where am I repeating over and over rf2 has bad GFX? I have few posts here and can't respond for other people

Your unbalanced reaction to my criticism is just one more prove you guys have a sick relationship with your silly videogames.

Go outdoors have some real racing even in rental karts to feel what real physics are and you gonna take videogames less seriously.

Yet S397 has spent two years now improving and rewriting the graphics. Whereas physics wise, rF2 hasn't changed as much over the last few years. The problem with modern sims is that all progress seem to be judged on graphics. Nobody is talking about tire models anymore, so we end up in a situation where rF2 physics engine, which was mostly built five years ago, is still the best in the industry. In future I predict we will have sims that recycle 10 year old tire models and nobody cares, because people decide to buy based on screenshots.

Your unbalanced reaction to my criticism is just one more prove you guys have a sick relationship with your silly videogames.
See post #42 and #43.

I for one thinks Rf2 looks good!
What people can say is that in the past the graphics quality of rF2i and S-397 have been somewhat up and down. But the DLC and even the free content that has come out from S-397 this year has been top notch.
And looks great even on my very average system.

Where am I repeating over and over rf2 has bad GFX? I have few posts here and can't respond for other people

Go outdoors have some real racing even in rental karts to feel what real physics are and you gonna take videogames less seriously.
Sim Racing Is Now an Officially Recognized Motorsports Discipline in Germany.....

See post #42 and #43.

I for one thinks Rf2 looks good!
What people can say is that in the past the graphics quality of rF2i and S-397 have been somewhat up and down. But the DLC and even the free content that has come out from S-397 this year has been top notch.
And looks great even on my very average system.

Looks great over here as well, the graphical fight above must be having cathode ray tube snap crackle pop issues, anyone smell electrical burn?

NVM, only us old guys would understand .

I am depressingly hopeless at rfactor2,tried the indycars and felt like I was driving a monstrously powered piece of wet soap,the physics are great but the cars feel twitchy as hell and I can’t get any semblance of enjoyment with rfactor2,sorry.
I should look myself in the mirror and know I am dumb and useless at simracing even after years and years of trying and practising.

God looks after the strong I’m afraid.
... must admit i'm with you, but only recently (i quietly thought it was just me...)... something changed months back?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back