rFactor 2: Historic McLarens Updated

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
McLaren rF2 1998.jpg

Studio 397 have updated two of the recent, free McLaren Formula One cars in the simulation.

Bringing about some improvements to both the 1998 McLaren Mercedes MP4/13 and the older Ford powered MP4/8 of 1993, this is only something of a minor update for the recent content, but nevertheless a very welcomed release for what are proving to be two exceptionally popular historic Grand Prix cars recently added to this rapidly developing racing simulation.

Announced at the 2018 Sim Racing Expo in Germany, and released just days later, the ’93 and ’98 McLarens are the latest free content releases to rFactor 2, and mark a very welcome move towards increased appearances of high profile officially licenced content in recent months.

13/10/2018 McLaren Update Notes:

Mclaren MP4/13 - version 1.05
  • Updated wet tread.
  • Added new driver and animations.
  • Fixed tyre blur.
McLaren MP4/8 - version 1.07
  • Updated driver suit material.

McLaren rF2 1993.jpg

rFactor 2 is available exclusively for PC from Steam now.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now!

Like what you see at RaceDepartment? Follow us on social media!

Are you enjoying the new McLaren content in rF2? Happy to see further updates coming to these exceptional new cars? Let us know in the comments section below!

To be honest I prefer racing against AI that resembles real racing drivers than to race against actual human idiots.

AFAIK SRS was supposed to be like an iRacing rating system, but even at the highest rating races you can't avoid first corner crashes in Nurburgring (which I assume also happens in Monza) and some really stupid moves by people which I assume have the same IQ as their age.

Still the best option to replicate real racing is to race against verified clean/smart/aggressive drivers you know in a private session where everybody cares about each other.

Other than that, AI is the second best option IMO.

:whistling: Turn 1 incidents can happen. Period.

Turn 1 incidents can happen
Of course they do. I didn't say otherwise.

My beef with online racing is that people seem programmed to be too aggressive, to miss braking points, etc. In short: most people don't know how to race. They know how to do laps, but that's the extent of their skill and knowledge.

(And this is true for F1 as well, don't think for a second that just because someone is an F1 driver then it must be because they're good racers. Meritocracy is not a deciding factor for quite a lot of their drivers roster)

I've raced with Austin Ogonoski and William Marsh (Sim Racing Paddock) on SRS and not only I was taken out multiple times by people being over aggressive, it felt like 3 other drivers were being taken out every lap or two. The races being usually way too short (20 mins) certainly doesn't help the situation.

So yeah, I prefer racing against a consistent set of bot drivers then to race against people who have their ego too high and are as stupid as a bag of rocks.

I mean, I can do 100 races as shown bellow and the consistency of "this is really good racing and I don't expect to be taken out" is there. In how many online races have you been to that you can say the same?

Last edited:
LOL,I was rfactoring today and hated it,was wondering what was going on,my lap times were awful then I found out my steering help was set to medium duh.
I think the f1 key is used as default to enable/switch steering help; very easy to hit when pressing Esc to go back to the garage. I've cleared the entry in the settings: recurrent problem is gone! :)

Anyone can help me plug myself in some online racing communities?
The ones i know are simracingclub, gpvwc, atlantic motorsport, checkered flag endurance. The latter is organizing an interesting league atm, if i were you, i'd give it a go.

Can you not create a livery file as usual? It would require work to figure out where everything goes I know. Or is the option disabled for these cars?

I mean, the person which is me, is unable to do that.... I don't know how. But firing up the title again, I realized there are other colors available, like two-tone ones you see on kart racing parks. My bad, but those were very basic liveries.

The ones i know are simracingclub, gpvwc, atlantic motorsport, checkered flag endurance. The latter is organizing an interesting league atm, if i were you, i'd give it a go.

Someone sent me a PM and I signed up to GPVWC... Looking good aside from the GMT times where races happen during 4am from where I am... LOL but it's alright, I work night shifts and I can run them on weekends.. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back