Reiza Hints at the Future - rFactor 2 Engine to be used in 'Reiza 2018'?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios Teaser Image .jpg

Reiza Studios have released an interesting teaser on social media recently, hinting at "some exciting new things coming up on the horizon"..

Now to my eye this teaser image looks very much like a Reiza game using the rapidly improving rFactor 2 gMotor2 game engine, potentially hinting for the very first time that the upcoming and under development "Reiza 2018" project could be taking further advantage of the already close relationship between Reiza Studios original rFactor developers Image Space Incorporated.

Although purely speculation at this point, it is still rather refreshing to hear (or see) some news from Reiza Studios following wrapping of development of their Automobilista title, and this could well be the very first early signs of what's been going on behind the scenes of the well regarded Brazilian development team.

Now I'm only speculating that this is the rFactor 2 engine here, and frankly I could be well wide of the mark with this one... so I'll leave it to you to throw around your opinions in the comments section below!

Reiza Studios Teaser Image Twitter.jpg

Automobilista is a PC exclusive racing game from Reiza Studios, and can be purchased from the Steam network.

If you enjoy Automobilista then take your experience to the next level with RaceDepartment! Join in our brilliant online Racing Club to take part in organised online race events, or head over to the Automobilista Modding Forum to have a look through our community made content, or if this isn't enough to keep you occupied, check out the general AMS sub forum and involve yourself in our wonderful sim racing community.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

What do you make of the cryptic clue from Reiza? Looking forward to the new project? Let us know in the comments section below!

The indiegogo was done to cover AMS, the plans for the future sim were writen there but very clearly stated the money would be used in AMS, thus the kickstarter was a success and the mission is accomplished (except for the VR part).
I dont understand why this kind of comment appear from time to time... people need to pay more attention to what they read.
It's you... Do you know how to read? From indiegogo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/reiza-simracing-bonanza/

To ensure this is not a complete leap in the dark, below are some of the main points already stablished for our next project:

• PC Racing Simulator on Steam, to be developed, expanded & supported for years after initial release;
  • Integrates all our licenses & assets (present & future) into the same platform with free core updates + paid DLC packages;
  • Release price estimated at US$ 39,99 (base package, not including DLCs);
  • Initial release planned for Q4 2016;
  • Includes majority of the content base in current sims + expands substantially on official licensed content & international tracks;
  • DX12 graphics engine;
  • Extensive audio & physics developments;
  • Dynamic weather & track conditions.

It also said:
  • Initial release planned for Q4 2016;
Just like many others I pre-ordered my copy when reiza had their sim bonanza at indiegogo (it is a pre-order if you pay for something in advance) but reiza are surely taking their time. Not telling why it is 1.5 years late already. I hope this is not one of those kickstarter disasters. But maybe that money does last forever...

As for using rf2 I surely hope not. I think studio 397 would have been much better off killing rf2 and taking couple of years off to develop it into a working product called rf3 or studio397sim. The massive delays in rf2 development (dx11 took very long time and still not that good, ui is taking forever) plus the massively flawed product rf2 is in so many ways really just highlights what kind of bunch of rotting of noodles that sim is. S397 needs to do well just to survive with that mess of garbled code they have bought. During their time isi made sure to make every decision wrong. I just don't see how you can save something that like. Maybe s397 can.

That being said it is not like reiza has many options. In reality they have just three. Keep using and improving on what they have (rf1). License rf2 engine. Or develop their own engine. I don't think rf1 has any future left. Regardless of how good it gets it is still rfactor 1 engine which is old old old old. You can patch it up, dress t up but it is still old rf1.

Developing their own engine would be a massive undertaking. Lots and lots of programming and content creation. Sure you can get unreal 4 for free (you pay royalties if you make profit above x amount) and you can get the source code. But even if you take your rf1 physics code (assuming they have the license to do it, probably they don't) you still need to create massive amounts of code to make unreal 4 racing sim out of it. Kunos can do it because they have $$$ and coders. Reiza doesn't.

That leaves rf2 option. I think the interesting thing is that reiza can possibly go many ways about this. They could just license the rf2 engine as it is now, do some own development and drop their own content into it and release it. They are familiar with rf1 and rf2 works very much the same. Except tires. Problem here is not just that reiza would compete against rf2 but they'd be stuck with rf2 issues as well. How well can you build on top of it is a challenging question.

Other rf2 option is to buy the code and simply do what s397 should have done. Go away for couple years, fix all the horrible things rf2 is filled with and then release it as automobilista 2: senna edition. Pro here is that you are in full control of the project and can do whatever you want. Bad thing is that you need to do everything you want yourself. You are not just competing against rf2 in sales and content but also in how fast you can develop that codebase.

Reiza could also just buy rf2 engine and make their own game for it without any additional code added. Easiest solution for a small team but at the same time they are at full mercy of s397 and need to compete against them as well. Maybe it could work. Maybe not.

Last rf2 option is the kartsim route. Release your game on rf2 as dlc. While there sure is lots of meme-potential in buying a racing sim to be able to buy a racing sim (simception, too soon?) I can't imagine it being a working business model. Not only would reiza's game be tied to the userbase figures of rf2 (read: small numbers) but you'd essentially need to expect people to buy two games to be able to play your one game. I don't see anything sane about this option.

And all that is assuming s397 owns the full rights to rf2 code. I don't know what exactly did s397 buy from isi? Was it the full code and full rights to do whatever they want with it including license and sell it for/to others? Or was it just the code for rf2 but you'd still need to go to isi if you want to buy rf2 source code. But it gets massively complicated if isi is still in some way involved. Rf2 codebase is worthless without s397's additional work and reiza can't code such a complicated product on their own.

Well written my friend and you make some very valid arguments.

As mentioned when we paid out for the Indiegogo campaign we were supporting the studio I suppose but the in the main we were producing the budget to help develop AMS not it's sequel. The Senna game is still on hold and I have this feeling we will never see it. Depends on how long AMS2.0 takes to produce I guess.

On the bright side I still stick with my original comments some time ago. S397 have done a remarkable job with the RF2 game. They have taken something that was in a pretty bad way and developed it into something that although still not perfect is miles better than it was before.

It's you... Do you know how to read? From indiegogo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/reiza-simracing-bonanza/
Where it says in that page the crowdfund is for the "next" title? It clearly says it was to develop Stock Car Extreme further (which turned into AMS so they could have an actual name that fits the whole game, not something that represent only one series).
From that same page:
The main goal of this campaign is to boost the development budget for the existing games in order to develop them further: adding new features, producing even more cars & tracks, and stablishing a structure for online racing for these titles.

From the part you quoted out of context:
A new sim! Can you tell us all about it?
Unfortunately not yet - in fact development & raising funds for the new game is not supposed to be the focus of this campaign.

Wouldn't mind them using the rFactor2 engine since rFactor2 has some of the best AI in the sim racing industry. Looking forward to seeing what's to come.
rF2 AI has decayed through inattention(*). AMS has better behavior with the exception of blocking lines and the rF1 oval weakness. If AMS adds blocking lines, they will definitely be top dog.

(*) Just before S397 took the helm, pace car behavior took a significant turn for the worse. Then S397 released much content without talent files. And during S397 code updates, rolling starts quit working properly... the lead 2 cars keep up with the pace car, but the rest of the field falls back, by as much as 1/4 of the lap! The potential to remain best is there, but S397 will need to prioritize the AI work and so far it has not been on the roadmap.

Ahem ok guys there is a bit of confusion here...
There are 2 kind of motors, gmotor and pmotor involved one for phisic and one for graphic, Reiza can license both or stick with their phisic and license only the graphic one from S397.
We didn't see any mention to Reiza and S397 working togheter but will be awesome seeing Reiza quality on S397 SIM too...maybe they will share their knowledge while working together on graphic engine...
Even if now, reading all we said, I suspect they updated the old one graphic engine by their own...could be an option...

Yes Melanie we get it, you prefer PCARS2 and AC...
What I don't understand is why people take time out from their lives to be so vitriolic in their criticisms regarding sims they don't even play!

Who gives a flying fig about leather and rubber shaders anyway? Sure a game can look pretty, but if the FFB and physics aren't great (PCars)
and the AI is lacking (AC, PCars) then for me the immersion is gone.
Reiza has all these nailed, with amazingly immersive content, so whatever decision they have taken it's to give us an even greater sim in future, not some scattergun cash cow to milk as much money from as wide a range of people as possible.
You can keep your shiny cockpits...

Why can’t we have both? Why can’t we demand great physics and shiny cockpits together?

Let’s just stop attacking each other on physics vs graphics. That energy would be better spent demanding developers to deliver both.

Back on topic, I can’t wait for the new title.

Any idiot, with half a braincell to rub together can see that rFactor 2 graphics are not dx 11, the only thing dx 11 about it's visuals, are the over done Yebis post processing FX, nothing more nothing less.
Guess what,Yebis runs only in DX11 api,you are a fail kid,get your facts right please.Pll like you are a disgrace for such great forums like this.

I've just read some absurd comments here, that rFactor 2, looks better than Project cars 2, those that think that are totally deluded, even project cars 1, running in directx 9 mode, looks One thousand times better than any isi motor engine game will ever look.
It is better then PC2,1 etc,visual and most important PHYSICS.....

Attachments

• GRAB_159.JPG
    GRAB_159.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 384
Idk why ya all keep feeding melanie. Dude clearly needs to visit a doctor, still believes racing games are being made from scratch in 2018 and has no idea about software development (seriously judging if a game is DX11 or not by how it looks? really? Fortinte runs on UE4!)
To be honest I have no idea why after posts like the ones above he is still allowed to post in this forum. Adding him to the ignore list is good enough, but if everyone else keeps feeding this psycho it gets hard to understand what is going on in the thread lol

Where it says in that page the crowdfund is for the "next" title?

Are you for real?! It is not about what for the crowdfunding is. It is about what they are selling! Look at what you are paying for with those perks. In other words: READ!

$50
Level 4
Earns: -Dev forum access; -Voting rights in forum; -Digital copy for Formula Truck 2013 + Stock Car Extreme (Steam or NonSteam), OR Steam copy for our next game NOT including eventual DLCs.

$75
Level 5
Earns: -Dev forum access; -Voting rights in forum; -Beta access to new builds; -Digital copy for Formula Truck 2013 + Stock Car Extreme (Steam or NonSteam) + Steam copy for our next game NOT including eventual DLCs, OR Steam copy for next game including eventual DLCs.

and so forth

@Emery, what are you disagreeing with?

I've just read some absurd comments here, that rFactor 2, looks better than Project cars 2, those that think that are totally deluded, even project cars 1, running in directx 9 mode, looks One thousand times better than any isi motor engine game will ever look.

And PC1,2,3,etc will always have sh*tty physics and AI.
People who thinks graphics are more important than physics in a racing simulator are totally deluded

Who said you wont have access to what is coming next? They just released a tease, no need to panic.
I did not pay for one blurry pic. I paid for a product that is 1.5 years late or maybe not even coming. I don't mind it being late. I just find it odd that a product can be so late while the developer doesn't care one iota of their paid customers to tell any reasons for it.

The whole idea of the reiza bonanza was that sim racers could support a small dev team by buying and pre-ordering their games at discounted prices. It was fully based on trust because no one really knew what kind of game we were buying. What have those people got who pre-ordered the game? Nothing but one blurry picture 1.5 years later than the optimistic release date. What's up? Was this trust just a one way street after all? What happened to all that money?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back