Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we are all excited for this release. What I don't know is how many people intend to a) play it on the xbox one and b) would like to join some sort of a formal league here at Race Department.

There are so many possibilities, I've had to calm myself down from getting lost in them. However, my main passion, IndyCar, will probably not be able to be run until the DLC with the ovals comes to the Xbox One.

That said, what sort of series would you like to see? Personally, ones that come to mind are Tudor United Sports Car Series, WEC, British Touring Car, and DTM. One of these could fill the gap for me until IndyCar is possible, but others may have better ideas.

Please indicate below if you are interested and what sort of times you are available and which series' you prefer. We could follow the actual schedule of many a series, due to the timing of the release. Personally, if they get the ovals out before IndyCar starts, I'll probably turn my focus there, but nothing would prevent running another alongside.

The anticipation is killing me! :sick:

Most time the pit strategy defaults fuel to what ever you start the race with. But if you don't want to take any fuel you can move the slider down to what you have in the tank. As far as the pressures it doesn't do it all the time. I'm sure there is a work around because Robert didn't have the issue. I just have to figure it out before the next Long Race. Usually I delete my other strategies but I left the GT4 car's strategy on the board. I just have to figure out how to save it correctly. But it cost me 28 seconds.

What debacle was that Robert?

The first one is hopefully the most important but we'll have to see gow it pans out in about a months time.

I like the fact that it will enable ytou to have your controller connected to navigate the menus etc. Shame it won't be available for extra buttons if required.

Debacle = the complete worldwide (for whatever reason) shutdown of the game due to online connectivity. This was affecting even "offline" play." Some speculate it was a licensing issue, and some said it was a M/S/ problem or server related. I don't think we ever got a clear answer from SMS themselves, so I suspect it's closer to the licensing. Point being, there are WAY too many factors re: online play to expect they can be cured in a patch. Read the thread I linked too. Devs explain this pretty clearly. However, I have had no issue, and always had the DLC.

Most time the pit strategy defaults fuel to what ever you start the race with. But if you don't want to take any fuel you can move the slider down to what you have in the tank. As far as the pressures it doesn't do it all the time. I'm sure there is a work around because Robert didn't have the issue. I just have to figure it out before the next Long Race. Usually I delete my other strategies but I left the GT4 car's strategy on the board. I just have to figure out how to save it correctly. But it cost me 28 seconds.

I had two strategies on the board when I pitted too. You have to do a lot of testing to see how whacky the pressures are. They are off by .20 bar or so, maybe more. And of course, we disagree (me and Michael) about whether tire heat increases or decreases when you move one way or another, so we would be doing the opposite to cure the "bug." One of us is making it worse. Mine is fine after testing and applying what I found in other testing (lower pressure = higher temps).

My theory is like this... I run 1.93 on LF 2.10 RF 1.98 LR and 2.01 RR the LF will overheat if I run it default which is 2.10. The RF will almost go cold if I don't push the car hard enough. So you can make your own conclusions from that, and know this is a Clockwise track that abuses the LF. Robert you explained this to me at Silverstone test several weeks ago and it works like a charm.

Had a nice session tonight, my longest in the game trying out several cars and just generally having a blast. Got myself down into the 34's so happy enough with that. Those chicanes are tough to get consistently right, especially that first one which I'm sure will catch a car or two out on Saturday. Still not totally sure of the best way to take it :/

Finished off by having my first run out in Time Trial mode and came out to find myself sitting right on top of Robert by around 4/hundredths and just behind Michael.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob
My theory is like this... I run 1.93 on LF 2.10 RF 1.98 LR and 2.01 RR the LF will overheat if I run it default which is 2.10. The RF will almost go cold if I don't push the car hard enough. So you can make your own conclusions from that, and know this is a Clockwise track that abuses the LF. Robert you explained this to me at Silverstone test several weeks ago and it works like a charm.

Tire pressure and the related subject of tire temperature (and wear) are much more complicated than most gamers understand. Hell, I barley get it, but I've been around enough pit engineers to have a general sense of what to do. First off, every track and tire compound and car is different. So, that doesn't help much I realize. But I'll give you a for instance -- a.) first general rule -- tires will heat up significantly no matter what pressure you have in them. The goal is to have the optimum grip and temperature across the tire without going red (if the telemetry is accurate in pCARS, which is suspect). Soft tires can run hotter than warm tires, and so a set of softs can be just fine at 175-230, while a set of hards can run about 160-210F. That's intentional. What is critical is the way the tire interact with the road...so b.) second general rule -- if tires are too deflated (reading lower in the middle no matter how hot or cold, then you are stretching, scrubbing, and ripping apart those tires. Conversely, if you are overinflated, you will loose traction like beotch and tires will do the slippery dance in every corner by losing surface area. Either one, done to the extreme, overheats your tires. And the track is relevant too. Silverstone could handle lower pressures (which was probably the reason behind my advice) because it's not similar to a road course, which demands that the tire walls be rigid or else your will flop them over and/or scrub them off. Too much pressure and of course you will go up in heat *after a certain point* but not before. So, what I was really trying to explain was that it's not black and white...tire pressures are not easy to understand (I don't pretend to understand but a little) , and there is no black and white rule (up=hot; down=cool). There is however, a sweet spot for any car and track combination, and it takes a lot of research and testing to find it.

My theory runs like this:
Forums
pCARS
pCARS#2:
Where you're getting confused is you're thinking of it the wrong way round. Rather than thinking 'pressure changes temperature', it's more a case of 'temperature changes pressure'. The pressure of a tyre will increase as the tyre warms up, but reducing tyre pressures in your car setup will result in higher temperatures. The tyre pressure you choose in your car setup is what the tyres are cold, so the temperature created by this default setting is pretty much null and void. The extra few PSI you add in your car setup won't make enough difference to the temperature to offset the difference in tyre deformation.
This is because with less pressure, the tyre becomes more 'squashy' so it moves about more against the track surface, as it squashes and rubs about. A higher pressure tyre is more rigid, so only moves when the suspension does.
For example:
Tyre pressures set at 30psi: Cold temperature 40C, running temperature 80C.
Tyre pressures set at 20psi: Cold temperature 38C, running temperature 100C.
TL;DR: Lower pressures make a tyre squash and rub more on the track, not to mention the extra contact patch. This makes far more difference to temperature than pressure does.
pri_tire_010.jpg

tyreload2.png

Last edited:
Anyone know why I cant view rd website on phone anymore.it starts loading normal and before it finishes loading all I can see is the picture from top of page ..turn phonr sideways but can only read half of text..just started last week...and I finally got 135 lap times in a quick race I did yesterday.my rim should be here today so il def be on tonite after work if anyone wants to get sum more practice in...and my buddy at prl started a thread about the pit bug and cars crashing onto each other on rolling starts at the p.cars website

Ok now I can read webpage .lol. holy crap robert I thought I was doing something finally getting into the 134 135 range..lol guess its not to bad considering I was running 138s repeatedly

If you are at 1:34, then you can get to 1:33. I was stuck at 1:34 forever. Don't be afraid to try out new cars. I knew the RUF was good from prior testing, but the new patch really helps to get a handle on it(with the 66% settings, which are rear based.

***** ANNOUNCEMENT *****
HRH 5 Racing
in conjunction with Dusk Racing
has combined to form a team in the
British GT Championship

Skydive Racing Group, Ltd.
Team owners announced that Railer Cantrell and Robert Waddell will be running the "Skydive Dubai" numbered cars, with Cantrell likely taking the lower signifying his #1 driver status on the team. Waddell, coming off a win at LeMans and as a former IndyCar driver has great potential and should fit will with the established veteran, Cantrell. Although an official team championship is not crowned, the team is looking forward to improved performance through collaboration. Ruf remains committed to a fair amount of collaboration between Ruf drivers, and this will only bookmark their commitment.

Last edited:
Guys, not sure if this has been mentioned here but I wanted to share some tips for pit stop strats. If you're having issues with fuel fill not being correct, or perhaps getting stuck on the wrong tires, you need to make sure you're not editing your saved strat in the pits. This is a bug that is making your changes on your next pit stop, not the current one.

For example, we did a race the other night in the M1 Procar at Sakitto. The race started dry, but 2 laps in the rain came and everyone started diving in for wet tires. Some guys were fortunate enough to have saved pit strats with wet tires selected. Others decided they'd edit their strats in the pits on the fly since this had apparently been fixed in the latest patch. The guys that decided to equip wets manually and set fuel fill manually left the pits with slicks and the wrong amount of fuel. The guys that viewed their pit strats, pressed Y to make their desired strat default, and then closed the menu, left the pits with wet tires and the correct amount of fuel.

Long story short, make sure you're creating a few different pit strats for different race scenarios. Make sure you're not trying to edit that strat while in the pits. Simply view saved, press Y to select the one you want, and then close the menu.

So if you have to pit out of synch of your normal scheduled stop(s), for damage, change of strategy, etc. You're basically screwed then it seems, unless you have a correct strategy already saved.

The problem here, one of the many, is that the amount of fuel is "hard stopped" at what you started out with. So, for instance, if you had 1000l of fuel to start, you cannot go below that in the pits. Also, I didn't change my pit strategy at the first race, and I still got stuck in the pits.

Chips,
That's what's a little confusing about your advice (much appreciated, as any experiences are). What confuses me is that in one paragraph you say:

"If you're having issues with fuel fill not being correct, or perhaps getting stuck on the wrong tires, you need to make sure you're not editing your saved strat in the pits."
AND
"Make sure you're not trying to edit that strat while in the pits."
"The guys that viewed their pit strats, pressed Y to make their desired strat default, and then closed the menu, left the pits with wet tires and the correct amount of fuel."

The examples would seem to contradict the advice. Or am I just going crazy? Seems also that the issue is hard to replicate in both single player race and multiplayer race.

The problem here, one of the many, is that the amount of fuel is "hard stopped" at what you started out with. So, for instance, if you had 1000l of fuel to start, you cannot go below that in the pits. Also, I didn't change my pit strategy at the first race, and I still got stuck in the pits.

Chips,
That's what's a little confusing about your advice (much appreciated, as any experiences are). What confuses me is that in one paragraph you say:

"If you're having issues with fuel fill not being correct, or perhaps getting stuck on the wrong tires, you need to make sure you're not editing your saved strat in the pits."
AND
"Make sure you're not trying to edit that strat while in the pits."
"The guys that viewed their pit strats, pressed Y to make their desired strat default, and then closed the menu, left the pits with wet tires and the correct amount of fuel."

The examples would seem to contradict the advice. Or am I just going crazy? Seems also that the issue is hard to replicate in both single player race and multiplayer race.

No I get what he's saying, if you don't try to change the pre-set strategy everything works fine but if you change it on the fly it gets screwed up.

I think we're on the same page with Tire pressures. Obviously there is an optimum window for tire pressures as far as performance goes. But I know from racing my own car in scca that you have pressure build-up in your tires due to heat. With the Bar system instead of PSi its a lot harder to visualize this are Bar measurements are very small adjustments in the PSi scale. I would run my fronts on my Focus at 34 psi- knowing that the heat from the track and friction would raise them to 36-37.5 psi. Before I started running Nitrogen, I used to have to bleed off the extra PSi as it continued to build, along with the heat. I would keep a sprayer bottle to cool off my Falken Azenis'. Its the same concept in NASCAR as well. If you want to qualify you start with more pressure in the tire as the heat builds up quicker. On a long run that heat causes the pressure in the tire to increase 4-6 psi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back