LA Canyons

Tracks LA Canyons 1.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
the freeroam is same as before, with spawn near the regular start
the freeroam VIP, if i remember correctly has 'random' spawn location all across the map. In solo if you hit "go back to pit" you will be next to the dam.

As for random police, they are in all the layouts

I didn't know that! Have to try that, been wanting to see that dam, the water might flow with the new shaders in the latest Shaders Patch.

I didn't know that! Have to try that, been wanting to see that dam, the water might flow with the new shaders in the latest Shaders Patch.

it will only flow if we update to that new shader! I don't think it's automatic... Haven't look into it yet

Yeah I was noticing lately that the cars seem dynamic but didn't know it's possible.

Anyone knows where the SOL mod settings are stored so I can back them up? I gotta disable shader patch and SOL again to check what's wrong with all single layout tracks wanting to launch with nonexistent "freeroam" layout...
Don't want to lose my settings from disabling SOL. I don't mean the PPfilter presets, LUA etc. but the nightbrightness, headlights, those kind of settings from the SOL ingame apps.

AC lately is breaking itself with all the updates to CM and now possibly to shader patch and SOL. Need to minimize it back down to stock again which usually works fine for years until CM messes something up XD

That's Sol support you need :D
maybe sol__config.lua in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\extension\weather\sol

That's exactly what I did 2 weeks ago! And I'm still running vanilla AC weather (and I don't remember AC looking this good :confused::redface: )

i think it's what we should do when modding, keep the game clean so you know all works well by default
then add things on top only after

Well I'm digging in it half a day now and the exposure (brightness) setting for the automated exposure of Shader+SOL is hidden under the normally ignored [TONEMAPPING] EXPOSURE in PPfilter when in fact as I said before it should read [AUTO_EXPOSURE] TARGET instead. What is even better is all these values get ignored if a PPfilter has shader/SOL LUA file defined for it and no matter what realtime editing suggestions I read none worked when editing the LUA so each edit of LUA = restart the game to see effect. (The file reloads when placed in one location but doesn't take visual effect nor in the debug values in apps.) Add: Well it does apply changes "realtime" when you enable dynamic weather and change the weather after each edit.

Why was it overblown? Because it was reading wrong value a value it should ignore but as is written in one of the many manuals it wants the TONEMAPPING EXPOSURE the static value to be set to your desired level. It's a shame that it doesn't use AE that checks for white clipping % and adjust accordingly as well.

Copy your old AE TARGET to TONEMAPPING EXPOSURE, because.. well.. SOL. If you use LUA, the default __Sol PP filter has LUA, you will have to edit that to see any effect. Look for "ac.setPpTonemapExposure". It's set way too high even default __Sol filter blows out highlights with it.

If you want to debug more of the values:
Code:
if sol__debug__custom_config == true then
        ac.debug("PpTonemapExposure", string.format('%.2f', ac.getPpTonemapExposure()))
        ac.debug("PpTonemapGamma", string.format('%.2f', ac.getPpTonemapGamma()))
        ac.debug("PpTonemapMappingFactor", string.format('%.2f', ac.getPpTonemapMappingFactor()))
        ac.debug("PpColorTemperatureK", string.format('%d', ac.getPpColorTemperatureK()))
        ac.debug("PpWhiteBalanceK", string.format('%d', ac.getPpWhiteBalanceK()))
    end

On top of that the AE and SOL may also dynamically adjust brightness, contrast, saturation. But it's hard to debug and see a difference.

Fog config can't find. There is some fog with SOL but it's much lower compared to normal AC. All I can find is the LUA itself that calculates fog and many other things. The extreme distance clarity/lack of fog looks odd in games.

Fixed the headlights config at least too. More to test on that with people on server. Hopefully no more blown out headlights, no more wonky weak headlights, no more white interior, no more such a big performance impact.

Now I have to figure out what settings get saved to what files to back it all up.

My weathers are fine, plus I back those up too so I can check what vanilla AC weather is.

There is great potential in SOL to look and work well but the default config doesn't.

Interesting! have you reported these findings directly to @Peter Boese ?

Well I'm digging in it half a day now and the exposure (brightness) setting for the automated exposure of Shader+SOL is hidden under the normally ignored [TONEMAPPING] EXPOSURE in PPfilter when in fact as I said before it should read [AUTO_EXPOSURE] TARGET instead. What is even better is all these values get ignored if a PPfilter has shader/SOL LUA file defined for it and no matter what realtime editing suggestions I read none worked when editing the LUA so each edit of LUA = restart the game to see effect. (The file reloads when placed in one location but doesn't take visual effect nor in the debug values in apps.) Add: Well it does apply changes "realtime" when you enable dynamic weather and change the weather after each edit.

Why was it overblown? Because it was reading wrong value a value it should ignore but as is written in one of the many manuals it wants the TONEMAPPING EXPOSURE the static value to be set to your desired level. It's a shame that it doesn't use AE that checks for white clipping % and adjust accordingly as well.

Copy your old AE TARGET to TONEMAPPING EXPOSURE, because.. well.. SOL. If you use LUA, the default __Sol PP filter has LUA, you will have to edit that to see any effect. Look for "ac.setPpTonemapExposure". It's set way too high even default __Sol filter blows out highlights with it.

If you want to debug more of the values:
Code:
if sol__debug__custom_config == true then
        ac.debug("PpTonemapExposure", string.format('%.2f', ac.getPpTonemapExposure()))
        ac.debug("PpTonemapGamma", string.format('%.2f', ac.getPpTonemapGamma()))
        ac.debug("PpTonemapMappingFactor", string.format('%.2f', ac.getPpTonemapMappingFactor()))
        ac.debug("PpColorTemperatureK", string.format('%d', ac.getPpColorTemperatureK()))
        ac.debug("PpWhiteBalanceK", string.format('%d', ac.getPpWhiteBalanceK()))
    end

On top of that the AE and SOL may also dynamically adjust brightness, contrast, saturation. But it's hard to debug and see a difference.

Fog config can't find. There is some fog with SOL but it's much lower compared to normal AC. All I can find is the LUA itself that calculates fog and many other things. The extreme distance clarity/lack of fog looks odd in games.

Fixed the headlights config at least too. More to test on that with people on server. Hopefully no more blown out headlights, no more wonky weak headlights, no more white interior, no more such a big performance impact.

Now I have to figure out what settings get saved to what files to back it all up.

My weathers are fine, plus I back those up too so I can check what vanilla AC weather is.

There is great potential in SOL to look and work well but the default config doesn't.
Everything is now done in the Sol's custom config. So Ppfilter modders have the control over many things. AE values like target and min/max exposure are automated to work with daylight and sunset/twilight times. So there are blocked from the values in the Ppfilter. I can look and unset the values with standard AE. So custom controls can be done in the custom config (Lua).

If you do your own filter and custom config you must reload it by click "reset" in the Sol_weather app.

Everything is now done in the Sol's custom config. So Ppfilter modders have the control over many things. AE values like target and min/max exposure are automated to work with daylight and sunset/twilight times. So there are blocked from the values in the Ppfilter. I can look and unset the values with standard AE. So custom controls can be done in the custom config (Lua).

If you do your own filter and custom config you must reload it by click "reset" in the Sol_weather app.
Thanks I will dig through the config for 1.2 SOL soon. See how it goes now, what's changed etc. Redo the LUA for how ever 1.2 now works. I had it pretty well set with 1.1.1 for all weather and times but if AE is now better adapting itself that's great.

---

For those trying to connect to L337_Racing #2 LAC server, since Phoenix mentioned people are connecting with 0.81 version of track to many 1.0 servers I've talked with admin of it and more files (I think those models INI files) were now added to the server and people with 0.81 won't be able to connect. If you're having trouble to connect update to 1.0.

Mumarasa, and some other were getting checksummed out.

[...] For those trying to connect to L337_Racing #2 LAC server, since Phoenix mentioned people are connecting with 0.81 version of track to many 1.0 servers I've talked with admin of it and more files (I think those models INI files) were now added to the server and people with 0.81 won't be able to connect. If you're having trouble to connect update to 1.0.

Mumarasa, and some other were getting checksummed out.

No problem to connect to this server. When i see "virtual mirror on", i cancel the connexion...

i think it's what we should do when modding, keep the game clean so you know all works well by default
then add things on top only after
That's exactly why I left everything stock, up until a week or so before releasing 1.0.
Then ran it with Sol / Shaders patch to give things another load of testing.

@Phoenix77 hey man! what do you think about making this track? lol maybe for 2025?
either head o tail of dragon, it would be amazing with your quality.
cheers!
Thanks.
1) I won't be starting any new projects... If I do.. I have PLENTY of roads on my radar, and won't be doing requests!

2) Just like Glendora Mountain Road (Which IMO is far far better than the dragon) it would be around 30km's of roads across x 25kms down, meaning any "main loop" would be suffering from the AC physics shake issue... I really don't fancy explaining why the car's shaking any more, as it gets old real fast.

3) I'll avoid silly comments.... But I will say... you'll have to make it, as I won't be!
Good luck getting it done before 2025! :D :p

I think you should contact Phoenix, he may have some semi automated system but he's still a human and maybe you slipped by on the radar.

Have to admit though, dragging people into VIP area almost never gets old. They are great and Phoenix + Ben +... well deserve the support.

@Phoenix77 Are you ever going to send the VIP to everyone who has donated? I've been waiting for a long time and would donate more if that's needed.
I am completely up to date with getting anyone, who has donated a coffee (in the UK), the VIP roads.
There is a very common issue of the VIP access email going to supporters email Spam folders. Have a check in your Spam folder... If not send me a PM noting, when you donated, and your email address (linked to the PayPal you donated from), and I'll have a check.

I think you should contact Phoenix, he may have some semi automated system but he's still a human and maybe you slipped by on the radar.

Have to admit though, dragging people into VIP area almost never gets old. They are great and Phoenix + Ben +... well deserve the support.
Thanks mate, glad you're having fun dragging people into the VIP areas! :D
And yes I have a semi-autonomous system in place which requires quite a lot of effort to maintain.
This means the VIP roads are usually sent out within 1-3 days in response to any coffees sent :)
But yes I'm only human and obviously have real world commitments that will always have to come first!
I have had people chasing where the VIP roads are, "Why you no send VIP" within 15 minutes of a donation!!!

Just to reiterate, the whole concept of the VIP roads is as a way for me to thank people for their support shown for the regular downloadable (Free) version. They were supposed to be a surprise thank you to anyone sending a coffee (UK coffee). Thanks to the hundreds of videos of LA Canyons, some of which haven't quite explained the situation correctly, this concept has sadly been skewed from the original concept. As stated on the Overview Page...

"The VIP extras are separate to the regular version and consist of an additional 73km of highways and sideroads. They are provided at my discretion to thank those who value and support the regular version."

I also don't state an amount for the VIP, as firstly... this isn't about the VIP roads being Payware...
Even though it could appear that way... If the VIP roads were Payware... I'd have put signs next to the 'Road Closed' gates to let Everyone know that they haven't even driven half of LA Canyons available roads.
Secondly I wanted a little flexibility of what 'A Coffee' actually means... A small minority of people have since tested that flexibility to the Max.

Last edited:
..worth a few coffees..
0EEDF7BFAFA8FFA36877497AF4A4215660D946E5

7353FEAF59C3F0C6EF329BFB585B0027BF1A0D24

8DC30EF5C635B39E771B708D1CFB0F01AEE3BB86

Hi, I love the map and have been enjoying it online and offline. I am wondering how I am supposed to use the 'traffic' correctly. I am using CM and the best I can get is using the track day feature, but the cars don't seem to respawn, once I overtake them all, that's it, I have to wait for them to all pass me and then I can go on an overtaking run again. How do I enable the randomly spawning traffic I have seen in various YouTube videos?

Thanks.

Eta

I have solved this by reading the FAQ in the OP.

Last edited:
My favorite map... That's all I have to say!
Glad you're loving the track, thanks for taking the time to say that :)

Hi, I love the map and have been enjoying it online and offline. I am wondering how I am supposed to use the 'traffic' correctly. I am using CM and the best I can get is using the track day feature, but the cars don't seem to respawn, once I overtake them all, that's it, I have to wait for them to all pass me and then I can go on an overtaking run again. How do I enable the randomly spawning traffic I have seen in various YouTube videos?

Thanks.

Eta

I have solved this by reading the FAQ in the OP.
Thanks, glad you're also loving the track :)
Glad you solved this... Sounds like you needed the full version of CM to unlock the AI Flood feature?
Bear in mind you don't need to run many AI with AI Flood... Which is awesome as it gives the CPU a break. Also bear in mind AI Flood can sometimes do some funky things as it's not a fully finished feature of CM yet. So if you get any strange AI activity, it doesn't necessarily mean it's an issue with LA Canyons AI.
If you run a lowish amount of AI's (5-10) it should work fine :)

Unfortunately, atm... AI Flood crashes AC while trying the Two Way traffic layout I'm currently testing.

LA Canyons 1.1 is nearly all put together now, I won't mention a time just yet though.

I've managed to optimise a number of meshes to lower the poly usage by around 250,000. More may be possible for future updates.
Material usage is lower by around 60mb's,
Re-stitched a number of road edges that needed attention,
Further smoothed road edges where needed,
Added objects, including containers... and one other object that I had been meaning to add... Good luck finding it somewhere on 150km's of road ;)

Working Two-Way traffic layouts for a certain level of support (I'll decide nearer the time) also Helicams for the normal layout. (Timed to track a Gallardo doing a 17 min lap)

And also... as an extra thank you to my top supporters,
A number of signs (in the style of the green distance signs) with names on. (5 names on each sign, spread all over the area). The distance number will reflect the level of support.
So those that have gone above and beyond what was asked for (a coffee), may see their name at Newcombs Ranch, Mt Wilson, Big Tujunga Dam etc.

I'll also be adding some protocols to prevent people connecting to servers with an older version of LA Canyons as I've got a suspicion (after lots of testing) that people connecting with say 0.81 are causing performance issues. Possibly because the mesh/model names etc are absolutely completely different in 1.0. I've witnessed a number of people online, driving/glitching through guardrails and walls that were non-existent in 0.81.... and since added to 1.0.
If anyone knows anyone using an older version of LA Canyons... Let them know 1.0 has been out for over 3 months! :D

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 29 15.9%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 23 12.6%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 26 14.3%
  • Thursday

Votes: 24 13.2%
  • Friday

Votes: 65 35.7%
  • Saturday

Votes: 100 54.9%