LA Canyons

Tracks LA Canyons 1.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
Needs foilage and rock/hills textures soon! :D
It particularly does when viewing from a higher view point.
Unless you're offering to help Ben out mate... that's kind of just stating the obvious, that's already been stated more than a few times :p

You can use treewalls relatively close to the track on a lot of the hills, just stack em in rows. Have a look at nordslejfe, the hill at Ex-Mühle for example (at 2:46 here).

That is about the best way to do the hills at distance:
View attachment 260747
That's not really relevant to the canyons though... look at all that flat space you have round Nords to have space to do the tree walls... The tree wall textures would get skewed... as you don't really have any flat areas, around the canyons... parallel to the track.
Even when they're parallel for a short distance... they have their own elevation changes along the X!

The only place tree walls may be ok to uses is along some of the tops of the ridges.

The Nordschleife is as flat as a pancake compared the canyons... the elevation change (over distance) is around 4,400 ft... 1,800ft in La Canada... around 6,200ft at Strawberry Peak.

Maybe if I make my 16k top down render for the roads available... someone who knows more about it... would be kind enough to make a freeroam map from it?
PM me it anyone fancies it :)

It particularly does when viewing from a higher view point.
Unless you're offering to help Ben out mate... that's kind of just stating the obvious, that's already been stated more than a few times :p

That's not really relevant to the canyons though... look at all that flat space you have round Nords to have space to do the tree walls... The tree wall textures would get skewed... as you don't really have any flat areas, around the canyons... parallel to the track.
Even when they're parallel for a short distance... they have their own elevation changes along the X!

The only place tree walls may be ok to uses is along some of the tops of the ridges.

The Nordschleife is as flat as a pancake compared the canyons... the elevation change (over distance) is around 4,400 ft... 1,800ft in La Canada... around 6,200ft at Strawberry Peak.

Well, I don't agree, it depends on how the walls are applied and where. Obviously not on the hills right uo against the track.

I'm not even sure of your explanation about skewed and along the X. Have you checked out how Nords is made around the hills?
Unless you really want independant trees to be seen from a far of cause.

I haven't checked out how Nords is made around the 'hills' as had so many more other things to do (also apart from modding)... haven't had the chance. And that was an issue for later on... If I thought about all the processes at one time... I probably wouldn't have bothered making this.

Basically with the canyons 'mountainous' terrain... it's hard to find flat enough sections... parallel to the road... that don't change in elevation like crazy... meaning any tree walls would bend up and down (in elevation, parallel to the track) all over the place... fair enough shorter length tree walls could be used.

But working around a 42km track with tree walls, going back say 1km would possibly take a long long time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying tree walls wouldn't be a good way of cutting down on resources.

How have you done the tree walls on any your tracks? using track edges and offsetting? and is the scenery flat or mountainous?

I have found super-low poly trees (4 tris each) to be more effective than tree-walls on hilly or mountainous terrain. That's how I did the woods and forests on FBR.

I have found super-low poly trees (4 tris each) to be more effective than tree-walls on hilly or mountainous terrain. That's how I did the woods and forests on FBR.

Yeah, your imposters, works pretty well I guess. Maybe you should take a look John :)
Still, I think a mix with walls would be the best way.

Cheers for finding that... I did use edges from Max... I sent them to Correca... who created csv's from them using Blender... Maybe something went wonky on export / import.... But I could have sworn I double checked them... Maybe I needed to do a reset X-form on them or something... weird!

You'd have to feel extremely motivated to drive carefully for 84km's (per layout):D
Nothing with this track is a simple job as most people probably think lol.... I appreciate you even making the offer :)

I created a side_r.csv file, how do I import it ? I tried holding shift down while AC launched, that didn't seem to work.

I'll create the left side next.

Something wonky must have happened for sure, hahaa. There are places where the track boundaries go off cliffs. Not usually a problem until you get side by side with the AI which sometimes forces them to drive offroad or ride the barriers in corners, hahaha.

Last edited:
Thanks, nice to know that's effective... Is it more effective from an easier to scatter standpoint mate?

Yeah, your imposters, works pretty well I guess. Maybe you should take a look John :)
Still, I think a mix with walls would be the best way.
Yeah I think I have a way to take a spline from the ridges... and do a wall, stepping it automatically if necessary. That could be a nice way to break up the mountain poly lines and make them look organic. But that will be lower priority than getting an FFB mesh for the main loop thb.

I created a side_r.csv file, how do I import it ? I tried holding shift down while AC launched, that didn't seem to work.

I'll create the left side next.

Something wonky must have happened for sure, hahaa. There are places where the track boundaries go off cliffs. Not usually a problem until you get side by side with the AI which sometimes forces them to drive offroad or ride the barriers in corners, hahaha.
I think Correca did his work fine... probably something I did... Maybe my computer had a moment :D or there's a chance I included my test line, from a while ago. Is the reverse line's edges fine?
Cheers Cobra for attempting that huge job... I'm probably wrong lol.... I vaguely remembering hearing you need side_l.csv and side_r.csv both in the data folder to load them...

Riding barriers in corners... I thought they were just scared of this road... :D

I think Correca did his work fine... probably something I did... Maybe my computer had a moment :D or there's a chance I included my test line, from a while ago. Is the reverse line's edges fine?
Cheers Cobra for attempting that huge job... I'm probably wrong lol.... I vaguely remembering hearing you need side_l.csv and side_r.csv both in the data folder to load them...

Riding barriers in corners... I thought they were just scared of this road... :D

Needing both .csv files makes sense. Holding Shift while AC launches is the preferred method for loading the boundary file or is there another method ?

Needing both .csv files makes sense. Holding Shift while AC launches is the preferred method for loading the boundary file or is there another method ?
Holding shift is the only method I've heard of mate... I've also heard that they are baked into the fast_lane.ai when you press shift.... If so that's a good job... as it takes around an hour just to save a 42km fast_lane :confused:

Here's a 4k map png, from 3DS...
lac_roads_map_4k_180721.png

If anyone knows how to make a map.ini line up....
Or if you just want to look at the crazy amount of twisty roads :)

Yesterday i did a 4k map for Canyons free roam. I only tested a little section of the track and i can't test anymore becouse now im away from home. Anyone is welcomed to test it and comment any problem or suggestion.

This is the data to write to map.ini:

[PARAMETERS]
WIDTH=4096.000000
HEIGHT=4096.000000
MARGIN=20
SCALE_FACTOR=6.303066
MAX_SIZE=1600
X_OFFSET=11419.625096
Z_OFFSET=12206.936864
DRAWING_SIZE=10

Attachments

• map.png
    map.png
    713.5 KB · Views: 196
I recorded the right side boundary with no issues. For some reason the AI tool refuses to record the left side. It stays stuck in "Start tracking left" , never switching to "tracking left" after crossing the start/finish line.

I've created track boundaries and AI files in the past for some mods, although its been a while, clearly I'm doing something wrong.

Somehow the left side boundaries are completely messsed up. Although , all is not lost, makes for some stuntastic AI races, haha.

Yesterday i did a 4k map for Canyons free roam. I only tested a little section of the track and i can't test anymore becouse now im away from home. Anyone is welcomed to test it and comment any problem or suggestion.

This is the data to write to map.ini:

[PARAMETERS]
WIDTH=4096.000000
HEIGHT=4096.000000
MARGIN=20
SCALE_FACTOR=6.303066
MAX_SIZE=1600
X_OFFSET=11419.625096
Z_OFFSET=12206.936864
DRAWING_SIZE=10
Thanks for all your help mate :thumbsup:, have a good one :)

I recorded the right side boundary with no issues. For some reason the AI tool refuses to record the left side. It stays stuck in "Start tracking left" , never switching to "tracking left" after crossing the start/finish line.

I've created track boundaries and AI files in the past for some mods, although its been a while, clearly I'm doing something wrong.

Somehow the left side boundaries are completely messsed up. Although , all is not lost, makes for some stuntastic AI races, haha.

Strange why it's not tracking left... awesome video :roflmao: and nice car choice.
@correca.. ok for me to share those edges you made?

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.