LA Canyons

Tracks LA Canyons 1.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
just tried it, no change, hickups in pretty much precisely 4 second intervals (I timed it). I did change my audio settings (set ENABLE_PERFORMANCE_SPEW= to 0 and MAX_CHANNELS= to 256 from 512, log is now without those entries I had before), but it did not change the behaviour on the server. I'm on Win 7 still, desktop PC, connected via wifi (dedicated card with external antenna)

Most likely an issue with my old CPU, 4 core Phenom II BE, maybe AC is checking some setting related to the 50 cars in cache in that 4 second interval which overloads it
Really sorry to hear that mate :(
You have a similar cpu to a friend of mine... and he can go to about 25 cars so at least you can still run on a server with still a reasonable amount of cars...
And 25 lamborghinis, Ferrari's and Porsches is a pretty nice size grid ;)

Just tried to do a fast lap as I missed the start of our convoy on the server. Had to drive like a mad man to catch up. Once I got there I did not want to stop going fast. And what do you know. Ended in a frontal crash into the edge of one of the railings half way which resulted in a dead engine. :roflmao:
These corners get really really fun when your really pushing...
If you're getting a Gallardo round in around 15 - 15½ minutes.. you know what I mean :)

This picture has been on my lock screen ever since the 911R was released. I always wondered what road this was shot on. After driving LA Canyons for a few days, I suspect that this is The Snake. Porsche should install this circuit on all their AC Pro machines!

2017-Porsche-911-R-Wallpaper.jpg

Really sorry to hear that mate :(
You have a similar cpu to a friend of mine... and he can go to about 25 cars so at least you can still run on a server with still a reasonable amount of cars...
And 25 lamborghinis, Ferrari's and Porsches is a pretty nice size grid ;)
no hard feelings :roflmao: I'm mostly just curious about what exactly happens in that 4 second interval. I'm totally fine with the few online sessions I do, like you i'm mostly a tinkerer

By the way, I have checked my logs as well and I sometimes get those LOOP messages as well: Not that many but if it happens the count of the loops are much higher (e.g. 164). However, I don't experience any stuttering or freezes. Just thought I'd let you know.

Maybe you should ask in the official forums for support on this If you're really interested in what is happening in this 4 second interval.

By the way, I have checked my logs as well and I sometimes get those LOOP messages as well: Not that many but if it happens the count of the loops are much higher (e.g. 164). However, I don't experience any stuttering or freezes. Just thought I'd let you know.

Maybe you should ask in the official forums for support on this If you're really interested in what is happening in this 4 second interval.
may try that, but I doubt I'll get an answer, now that AC development is over

I had a conversation with cc about fmod and he said the stored clips are 4 seconds, so maybe that's when they loop and for some reason even if they're 'off' because the car's not active, it's loading and playing them silently when you're near the spawn points.

I had a conversation with cc about fmod and he said the stored clips are 4 seconds, so maybe that's when they loop and for some reason even if they're 'off' because the car's not active, it's loading and playing them silently when you're near the spawn points.
so AC may check every 4 seconds if the cached 57 soundbanks are still there, which on my slow system (also no SSD) strains even more... I did try driving a few kilometres from the start area but it did not change anything.

I went on the Flat Out server last night and had the same problem. Freeze every 4 seconds and the sound cuts out on a few of the freezes. However, about halfway to the first intersection, it smoothed out and all was well for the rest of the session. Hmm...

This picture has been on my lock screen ever since the 911R was released. I always wondered what road this was shot on. After driving LA Canyons for a few days, I suspect that this is The Snake. Porsche should install this circuit on all their AC Pro machines!

View attachment 260559
Great shot... It looks like it's a very nice render... or some kind of composite if you look at the hills in the BG. That road probably isn't the snake... as that's a really short 2 mile twisty section in Malibu.
Btw Great driving with you Cobra / Nakadai? That was really fun!

I went on the Flat Out server last night and had the same problem. Freeze every 4 seconds and the sound cuts out on a few of the freezes. However, about halfway to the first intersection, it smoothed out and all was well for the rest of the session. Hmm...
Strange set of circumstances... Great driving with you too Axe...

I have one other idea what the issue could be... after seeing all the Audio issues come up... The track has 28 reverb nodes... probably a normal size track might have 2 or 3.... If anyone has these lags... possibly could try renaming the audio_sources.ini temporarily so the game can't find it? I didn't think there was a limit with the reverb nodes... But maybe there is?

Ladies and Gentleman,
especially @AccAkut and @Phoenix77.

I have made further troubleshooting as I myself had some sound issues as well. In the beginning, they did not annoy me. But the longer I try to enjoy the track, the more it annoyed me. I also had those spikes every 4 seconds. However, I did not have the issues constantly every spike. When I had issues, they where either clicking noises or sound was gone for 1 up to 4 seconds while the game continued normally and also reacted to input just fine.

While testing I found, that I had the same issues offline as well. I did cross check this with official tracks. What I found is, that the issues are caused by a high load on the main track. On Kunos tracks, those are around 12 to 25 percent (for me that is). Online on LA Canyons Freeroam the load was constantly over 80%. Offline was no different.

I put some thought into it and may have found the issue. How? I use another ingame App which displays the whole map.png file at once so you can locate every player easily. What I noticed is, that the track is almost invisible on this map app as the lines were very thin. What is causing this? Of course, downscaled high resolution images. When I checked the map.png I was quite shocked as it has a resolution of 16382x16382. The horror! Such huge textures are really bad for graphics cards, especially if you do not own the latest model!

I have downscaled it to 8% and what would you think, my Issues were gone offline and online. Offline, the main thread is now down to 20%-30% load. Online on the server it's between 50% to 70%. My frame rate also kind of doubled while I had the chance to increase my gfx settings.

So please everything with some kind of issues on this track, please try the attached map.png file. Replace it in /la_canyons/freeroam. Please tell me if the issues are gone or are appearing less often. If so, Phoenix should include a downscaled version of this png file in the next update.

Attachments

• map.png
    map.png
    109.7 KB · Views: 266
Ladies and Gentleman,
especially @AccAkut and @Phoenix77.

I have made further troubleshooting as I myself had some sound issues as well. In the beginning, they did not annoy me. But the longer I try to enjoy the track, the more it annoyed me. I also had those spikes every 4 seconds. However, I did not have the issues constantly every spike. When I had issues, they where either clicking noises or sound was gone for 1 up to 4 seconds while the game continued normally and also reacted to input just fine.

While testing I found, that I had the same issues offline as well. I did cross check this with official tracks. What I found is, that the issues are caused by a high load on the main track. On Kunos tracks, those are around 12 to 25 percent (for me that is). Online on LA Canyons Freeroam the load was constantly over 80%. Offline was no different.

I put some thought into it and may have found the issue. How? I use another ingame App which displays the whole map.png file at once so you can locate every player easily. What I noticed is, that the track is almost invisible on this map app as the lines were very thin. What is causing this? Of course, downscaled high resolution images. When I checked the map.png I was quite shocked as it has a resolution of 16382x16382. The horror! Such huge textures are really bad for graphics cards, especially if you do not own the latest model!

I have downscaled it to 8% and what would you think, my Issues were gone offline and online. Offline, the main thread is now down to 20%-30% load. Online on the server it's between 50% to 70%. My frame rate also kind of doubled while I had the chance to increase my gfx settings.

So please everything with some kind of issues on this track, please try the attached map.png file. Replace it in /la_canyons/freeroam. Please tell me if the issues are gone or are appearing less often. If so, Phoenix should include a downscaled version of this png file in the next update.
seems like that was indeed it, just downscaled the map.png myself (all of them, normal and reverse were "just" 8192x8192), joined your server (which is empty right now) and had hickup-free 80+fps driving right from standstill. I had noticed how in the taskmanager while loading your server the RAM usage of the ac.exe grew above 2,6 GB but then, once on track, over a GB "disappeared which i guess meant that portion was handed over to VRAM, but not all of it.

Also, how does AC handle png files for the UI, is it the same as it does with car/track assets? Because converting that 13000x13000 png into lossless dds results in a single 625 MB dds file :confused: If AC reloads that file every few seconds for whatever reason, no wonder I have lags :D

and I do have a 4GB Asus RX580 here, which is no sloth either

Also, how does AC handle png files for the UI, is it the same as it does with car/track assets? Because converting that 13000x13000 png into lossless dds results in a single 625 MB dds file :confused: If AC reloads that file every few seconds for whatever reason, no wonder I have lags :D

That sir, I don't know. But what is most important is, that this mistery is solved and that you can hopefully now enjoy driving with us on the server(s). :D

/edit: As this is now confirmed, maybe Phoenix can push out a hotfix. Should not matter that there is another version around as it's still compatible with the version including the huge map.png.

Well done everyone for trying what you've tried, excellent stuff!
And very well done to @shmafoozius for finding that out...

My bad for not downscaling that png.... I recorded it high res... as I drove all the way from Newcombs all the way to the LA end of Big Tujunga (to cover the widest part of the track)
Following the centreline all the way... was a long drive, focusing on keeping it the centreline! lol

View attachment 260653
this is what just opening the file results in.. also converted to lossless dds it actually needs over 1 GB on its own :confused:
Trust me... you wouldn't want to even see the memory usage of the stupidly high res diffuse I lined the roads up to :D
IIRC was 8.4 Gb... But to get the reports from people local to the area, that it's very accurate... It was worth it.

@AccAkut awesome that the cause was found... again... my bad :D
And awesome that you can now drive online at 80fps :) superb!

I would issue a hot fix now... But @correca is very kindly working hard to get a full freeroam map.. with ALL of the sideroads on it... and even the laybys, parking areas!! Freaking superb job mate!

If anyone knows how to adjust the map.ini to get it lined up nicely when the 16k is downscaled......
I'm pretty sure Correca would be happy to share the map in this thread.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.