LA Canyons

Tracks LA Canyons 1.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
That just earned you a beer, donation sent ;)
Thanks a lot mate that is very kind of you... but you shouldn't have... I didn't even include the bullet hole :D lol

And I couldn't resist doing it... It's going to look far better with the correct font (highway gothic) and the texture being accurate down to the black borders corner radii :) and with an added normal map :)

Thanks a lot mate that is very kind of you... but you shouldn't have... I didn't even include the bullet hole :D lol

And I couldn't resist doing it... It's going to look far better with the correct font (highway gothic) and the texture being accurate down to the black borders corner radii :) and with an added normal map :)

Well even without the bullet hole, it's well deserved, really excited to explore these canyons I've seen so much of on youtube!

Thanks again mate :) It may not be made from Lidar data, but I'm pretty sure you'll recognise where you are on track from the videos.

Pretty hilarious comparison here... between what was 0.3... to what is 0.45...
Before...
LA_canyons_eroded_01.jpg

After...
lac_overview_02.jpg

with 12k diffuse... 141mb's so really not practical, but I can make it available.

Can I just ask, what method do you use to join your road / verge to the surrounding terrain? That's one hell of a long road, and it's always interesting to see how other people work :)

Can I just ask, what method do you use to join your road / verge to the surrounding terrain? That's one hell of a long road, and it's always interesting to see how other people work :)
I've used the trial and error method mostly :D
It's hard to actually say one method as such... I've used (amongst other things) conform, cookie cutter (in various areas) to various degrees of success... also used some stitching scripts which (probably due to my inexperience), and partly because of the finite resolution of the displacement mod image... left the terrain a little 'spikey' down close. This has left more than a few areas needing relaxing and some verts tidied up. There has been a lot of work involved manually moving verts.

And yeah it is one hell of a long set of roads... long twisty, fun mountain roads! :)

One thing that I find interesting around this area, is that most of the laybys / tarmac areas (particulary along Angeles Crest)... seem very conveniently placed as run off areas. It's almost like whoever planned out these roads wanted it to be a racing track!

Everyone who needs guardrails around here should be pleased to know...
I'm not copying the real rails everywhere... This one wouldn't stop an Abarth 595 at full chat :D
guardrail01.jpg

And it's quite surprising the lack of rails around here in some places...
Where you think there should be loads.... So falling off will still be a thing.
A pretty dangerous set of roads... especially at night or in fog!

Yeah mate, but these ones are made of metal... and have hazard warning signs on them :) Also they will hopefully help everyone make it round in one piece.

135 splines, organised into L / R in case I need to flip any splines vert numbering
Will further sort them into which type of rail will go where. Going to be fun!

I really like how you're showing the progress. Also, it's strange how exiting guard rails can be. Looking forward to the next release.
Cheers... Occasionally showing progress on here has actually helped me track down a file by date, so it's a win win :)

Yeah this is a track (road) that certainly needs rails, and it is pretty nice seeing them in now. They mix very well with other elements as well.
They also help massively keeping it on road... although they're not everywhere.
Like the real roads... they're basically to stop you flying off cliffs....
They're not covering steep terrain...so there's still plenty of risk of rolling it.
And there's still the chance of pinballing off a guardrail and up the side of a cliff... or over one :D

Free time's been a little short lately...
But have managed to sort out the 2nd batch of signs.
Now I've just got to work my way around Google street view :D
Screenshot_ks_mazda_mx5_nd_la_canyons_2-7-118-14-28-20.jpg

And that MX5 is such a superb canyon car.

Lovely to see a fellow track maker who's happy to add a bit of 'old' to their new track :thumbsup:

And I'm going to spend some time in the MX5 tonight, now you've mentioned it - I hardly ever drive that car :whistling:

Lovely to see a fellow track maker who's happy to add a bit of 'old' to their new track :thumbsup:

And I'm going to spend some time in the MX5 tonight, now you've mentioned it - I hardly ever drive that car :whistling:
Thanks mate... glad you're liking the little bit of aging. had to be done :)
I won't make them quite as old as the below tunnel though :D
Good that you had a test drive in the MX5...
It's a great car when you have a track (or roads) with loads of fast corners
It's not the fastest car ever, but fast enough to learn the flow of a track. Apart from the 3 main junctions the MX5 is pretty much flat out around here.
Screenshot_ks_mazda_mx5_nd_la_canyons_2-7-118-14-59-40.jpg

Those of you looking forward to the road signs... will be glad to know I'm more than likely going to be putting in more signs than are actually along the real roads...
vague_signs_01.jpg

This sign for example is very nice and vague :D
It seems as if Caltrans had a surplus on asphalt....
But had a shortage on rails and signs around this area.

EDIT: After having another check along the real roads... It's freaking hilarious... Tons of 'No Parking'... and 'No Littering' signs... Hardly any actual curve / bend warning signs!

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea