LA Canyons

Tracks LA Canyons 1.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
Here's some random other screens / details of developments....

Needed to get some much better water shaders for down by Big T's dam area...
Screenshot_ks_lamborghini_huracan_performante_la_canyons_31-5-118-15-11-38.jpg

Screenshot_ks_lamborghini_huracan_performante_la_canyons_31-5-118-15-9-47.jpg

Screenshot_ks_porsche_991_turbo_s_la_canyons_29-5-118-0-33-18.jpg

Have got landscape / sky reflections on the water.. so with the pines and bushes... will be reflecting nicely ;)

Also here's one type of guardrail end treatment...
fishtail_02.jpg

There will be another type of end treatment in addition to the above Fishtail...

Got the overall shaders doing roughly what I want them to do... Getting a nice Californian look...
Screenshot_ks_porsche_991_turbo_s_la_canyons_29-5-118-3-38-38.jpg

Also have managed to fit 32 pit boxes at the starting paved area..
Screenshot_ks_porsche_991_turbo_s_la_canyons_30-5-118-3-53-53.jpg
Screenshot_ks_porsche_991_turbo_s_la_canyons_30-5-118-3-57-27.jpg

Pit box 1 (actually PB 0) is in the usual Smoking Tire position.... So on a single player practice that's where you start...

Here's some random landscape shots...
Screenshot_ks_porsche_991_turbo_s_la_canyons_25-5-118-15-54-18.jpg
Screenshot_ks_porsche_991_turbo_s_la_canyons_25-5-118-15-54-45.jpg
Screenshot_ks_porsche_991_turbo_s_la_canyons_25-5-118-15-55-10.jpg

Have managed to get the overall polys down from 3.9 million... to 2.6 million... Mainly by having a simplified visual road mesh... the current FFB mesh is only temporary, the final meshes (unrendered) will be much more detailed ... these will take a while (not in the next release).

Have named the various road sections differently to get 19 surface types in the surfaces.ini
I decided this had to be done to control which roads are valid... depending on layout.
And useful to turn off the shoulders / parking areas when recording AI.
Even though I have edge splines all lined up and ready to go :)

There are probably more developments that I have forgotten... But these are most of them.

A 39km... Angeles Crest downhill run, from Newcombs - Flintridge... In a LaFerrari... in 13 minutes.. at night... is pretty fun against AI :)

EDIT:
Oh and a Race Weekend is a possibility... but so far only works up until Qualifying... then it locks up. Maybe something to do with tyres or fuel calculations... But I'll worry about trying to sort that out later, if possible.

Last edited:
Awesome work - thanks for detailing your progress :thumbsup:

(and I thought I did long, non-racetrack maps :confused: You take not only the biscuit, but quite possibly the entire confectionery aisle :D)

Thanks Dave, It's felt like slow slow progress... But then I thought.... The amount of road edge I've had to sort out, would stretch from London to Manchester (quite a long confectionery aisle)... Luckily much better roads though :D

we need a 0.5 update to drive!
Cheers for your anticipation SS454... But to prevent everyone flying off on the next update (easier to do now with the narrower roads)... I've got to go round putting in around 200 barrier sections. got to loft a few 4 lane / passing lane dotted line sections... and get a first round of road signs in... at a bare minimum.

Oh and it's probably going to be a 0.45... As the amount of work for the bushes / trees etc will be a Huge part of the project. High Res FFB road meshes will also be a huge undertaking over 150km's.
I'll be focusing on the getting the main loop done to start with... There are tons of areas that will need detailing.

Cheers for your anticipation SS454... But to prevent everyone flying off on the next update (easier to do now with the narrower roads)... I've got to go round putting in around 200 barrier sections. got to loft a few 4 lane / passing lane dotted line sections... and get a first round of road signs in... at a bare minimum.

Oh and it's probably going to be a 0.45... As the amount of work for the bushes / trees etc will be a Huge part of the project. High Res FFB road meshes will also be a huge undertaking over 150km's.
I'll be focusing on the getting the main loop done to start with... There are tons of areas that will need detailing.
I don't understand. Maybe i'm stupid. is there an 0.4 version to drive? Why is he asking for a 0.5 when we're still at 0.3?

is there an 0.4 version to drive? Why is he asking for a 0.5 when we're still at 0.3?
You're correct mate... the currently released version is 0.3.
SS454 was asking for a newer driveable version is all...

The next update... which has been a huge amount of work already... will be 0.45
even though it's massively different to 0.3 :)

Took out the Mazda MX-5 yesterday for a relaxing drive. Your maps are simply my favorites. Can't wait for the next update.:)
Thanks... glad to hear that they're your favourites :)
And the MX5 is a cool car to use around the canyons... especially when learning the layout... It hasn't got too much power, so that if you get carried away you won't go flying off... But enough to keep the accelerator floored and learn the lines.

Testing out a few guardrail sections.... Before applying them to all the main loop.
Screenshot_ks_mclaren_f1_gtr_la_canyons_6-6-118-1-8-37.jpg

Screenshot_ks_mclaren_f1_gtr_la_canyons_7-6-118-4-30-53.jpg

Screenshot_ks_mclaren_f1_gtr_la_canyons_7-6-118-4-36-31.jpg

Clear Creek Junction markings... will tweak and add to these later on.
Screenshot_ks_mclaren_f1_gtr_la_canyons_7-6-118-4-46-56.jpg

4 lane section of Angeles Forest Highway will be sorted soon...
ang_forest_4_lane_01.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_ks_mclaren_f1_gtr_la_canyons_6-6-118-1-7-2.jpg
    Screenshot_ks_mclaren_f1_gtr_la_canyons_6-6-118-1-7-2.jpg
    854.5 KB · Views: 175
  • Screenshot_ks_mclaren_f1_gtr_la_canyons_6-6-118-1-10-47.jpg
    Screenshot_ks_mclaren_f1_gtr_la_canyons_6-6-118-1-10-47.jpg
    573.5 KB · Views: 185
  • clear_point_junction_01.jpg
    clear_point_junction_01.jpg
    788.9 KB · Views: 172
Long tracks like this are my favourite. I'm glad every time I see someone is working on something like this (and sad when someone is stopping to work on it). Just quickly tried the currently available version yesterday after checking the thread and I cannot wait to get my hands on newer versions. Keep up the good work!

Long tracks like this are my favourite. I'm glad every time I see someone is working on something like this (and sad when someone is stopping to work on it). Just quickly tried the currently available version yesterday after checking the thread and I cannot wait to get my hands on newer versions. Keep up the good work!
Cool mate, glad you're looking forward to the pretty much totally reworked version... 0.3 was just to see if the layout was worth doing... The road width is now much narrower (as the real roads are)
If you keep it between the white lines on v0.3... that's roughly the new width.
Screenshot_a3dr_ferrari_512tr_s1_la_canyons_9-6-118-7-39-1.jpg
Apart from the 5 real places where there are 4 lane / passing lane sections, which are now in place.
I've set these up using the main highways texture... so it only uses around 200kb extra... no extra textures / materials :)

Screenshot_a3dr_ferrari_512tr_s1_la_canyons_9-6-118-8-8-48.jpg

And the tunnel looks pretty cool at night... I was surprised the shader 'hack' works so well through the tunnel.

I haven't driven this road in forever (same with PCH). I know I'm going to love 'em both based on the early versions I have. This way, it keeps everything a complete surprise for me when I'm burning down the road at triple digits. :D

I haven't driven this road in forever (same with PCH). I know I'm going to love 'em both based on the early versions I have. This way, it keeps everything a complete surprise for me when I'm burning down the road at triple digits. :D
Trust me mate, you're going to have more than a few surprises ;)
One being the sense of speed when (or if you dare lol) hitting triple digits ;)
150mph+ gets nice and scary!

Another example of surprises... Out of 3 people testing the new roads... 2 of them completely missed the junction to go round the main loop... and ended up in Pasadena :D
Then again... there were no road signs at that time, or proper junction markings.

Trust me mate, you're going to have more than a few surprises ;)
One being the sense of speed when (or if you dare lol) hitting triple digits ;)
150mph+ gets nice and scary!

Another example of surprises... Out of 3 people testing the new roads... 2 of them completely missed the junction to go round the main loop... and ended up in Pasadena :D
Then again... there were no road signs at that time, or proper junction markings.
Aww yeah..Keep it up man! Everything sounds wonderful. :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back