LA Canyons

Tracks LA Canyons 1.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
i wish i was a little less lazy, and the track would probably have trees by now :whistling:
gad damn procrastination
220px-Abigail_Adams_by_Gilbert_Stuart.jpg
what a stupid invention
:D No worries mate, you got your own projects to work on... :thumbsup:
Also it would be too much of a shock for people....
If one of my tracks had loads and loads of details all of a sudden. :D

Guardrails, road signs, a tunnel, a bridge..... or two...
Screenshot_ks_nissan_skyline_r34_la_canyons_16-4-118-5-5-38.jpg

Junctions, much narrower roads, sideroads.... and lots of them.... should be enough for the next version, for those that really appreciate some awesome Californian roads :)

holy scrap that bridge looks amazing
Yeah that's one good looking bridge, probably because I didn't model it :D

Can't wait to drive this with a "traffic" AI and late evening. I suppose doing the traffic AI would be quite tough though :D
It's not difficult recording a traffic AI, much less difficult than recording a competitive racing line AI for a solid 42km's... But it is really time consuming... It takes around an hour to record the 42km's normal and reverse AI lines....
An 84km AI line will obviously take even longer (if it's even possible)

Due to the humungousness of the track... you'd need to run a large amount of AI to see anyone... for example... 42 AI..... you'd see a car every 2kms on average.

Therefore it's way way down on my priority list mate.

On the plus side though.... I have tons of options of where they can turn round and loop back.

This is going to sound wrong... But the screenshot should hopefully clear it up quickly enough :D

It's Friday... and I couldn't resist quickly doing a 100 inch hooker... 5,700ft up a mountain.
Screenshot_ks_lamborghini_miura_sv_la_canyons_15-6-118-11-9-33.jpg

The Hooker 100" Telescope at the Mount Wilson Observatory. Where Hubble discovered the Universe was expanding... The Big Bang.
Screenshot_a3dr_ferrari_512tr_la_canyons_15-6-118-11-19-37.jpg

Also the 60" Telescope and the 150ft Solar observatory.
Screenshot_ks_lamborghini_huracan_performante_la_canyons_15-6-118-11-43-7.jpg

Pretty unusual buildings for a Sim Racing track!

It's quite apt... as the craziness of George Ellery Hale & John.D.Hooker... Planning to move a delicate 4½ ton glass mirror costing $45,000 (1908 money) up a 5,700ft mountain... is about as crazy as me making this track :D
If anyone's interested there's more of their crazy plan on this link...
https://www.mtwilson.edu/building-the-100-inch-telescope/

Last edited:
Added a little grunge to my sign billboard... removed some that were not needed (where I can flip the UV) and added a few new ones that are now needed.
warning_signs_01.jpg

Drawing them up, pretty much to MUTCD FHWA spec... I may also add some graffiti to the back of them... as looking at the real roads it seems to be a common feature :D

I'm also considering putting the link to the extra roads... on the back of just one of them or on a guardrail post... in polys... so it's not a case of using 3DSimEd to look through the textures ;)

Last edited:
I love the worn look. With cars zipping up and down those roads everyday...exhaust gases from cars and diesel from the big rigs...and dust that occasionally flies around on those roads - Yup. You've got the right idea my man. :)

on the back of just one of them or on a guardrail post... in polys... so it's not a case of using 3DSimEd to look through the textures ;)
If you want to save a bit of effort, put the alphabet in a texture and then just piece it together so you get bit.ly/b5w30sp or whatever. Or if you have enough letters in direction signs just cut it together like a ransom letter.

I love the worn look. With cars zipping up and down those roads everyday...exhaust gases from cars and diesel from the big rigs...and dust that occasionally flies around on those roads - Yup. You've got the right idea my man. :)
Cheers :)
Yeah there are plenty of cars zipping along these roads (obviously at the legal speeds of course). Some of the side roads might have a little more dust on them... affecting their grip levels.

And it's funny you should mention big rigs... :D
signs_01.jpg

If you want to save a bit of effort, put the alphabet in a texture and then just piece it together so you get http://notworking.url/b5w30sp or whatever. Or if you have enough letters in direction signs just cut it together like a ransom letter.
Yeah thanks for the idea mate.... although careful mentioning 'ransom letter' ... It could start me off thinking about putting clues dotted around.

And if I start thinking.... I tend to get a little carried away sometimes :D
As it is I already have a few ideas for hidden layouts... ideally suited for certain vehicle types.
All of that is for a far later time though.

Cheers!

Billboard / Atlas group A
sign_bb_01.jpg

1 material - 1 texture :)
signs_02.jpg

Added a normal map... so now the rivets glisten in the sun :D
signs_04.jpg

Each sign is actually the same resolution as they are on PCH.... But because I have a better understanding of vert normals... and a few other things.... they're now massively clearer!
There is no comparison :)

Last edited:
Thanks mate... yeah the details are slowly emerging... and this stage is a lot more fun than things have been for a fair few months :)
The experience is already in a different league to 0.3... and thankfully, so far, is similar in performance to 0.3 even with a few other details flying by at speed ;)

Let's not forget about our lovely female drivers on Southern California highways.
Cannonball Run:
a0n4ohe.jpg

Cannonball Run II:
LHLTnI2.jpg
As if I would forget mate... Not that anyone probably noticed this sign on Pacific... Probably because they're doing the speed in the Cannonball Run II photo along here :D
Screenshot_ks_toyota_ts040_pacific_coast_18-6-118-10-30-36.jpg

signs_05.jpg

People who don't read this sign.... and who don't have the extra roads... will be in for a surprise :D
Plus for some reason the ICY sign makes me laugh... in California it just seems wrong :D

On an artistic note... I love how the yellow looks against the blue sky... throw in some green trees and this will become how I visualised my Californian tracks before I even started.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back