LA Canyons

Tracks LA Canyons 1.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
Just working out how to filter by the scans 'return', to remove tree noise... The last return being ground height info. It would also improve workflow having RGB info for all the points in all the clouds, I'm reasonably sure I have a workaround in the pipeline.
Our government sadly doesn't provide the return number, so I had to do things manually. I've recently used CSF Filter within CloudCompare (included from version 2.8 beta, its standard location is on the right "CSF Filter"). It basically flips the pointcloud upside-down, then drapes a cloth over it, so anywhere where trees would be, the cloth will only fall onto the ground.
This is a very quick and rough example, but it works pretty great.
base.png
quick results.png

Our government sadly doesn't provide the return number, so I had to do things manually. I've recently used CSF Filter within CloudCompare (included from version 2.8 beta, its standard location is on the right "CSF Filter"). It basically flips the pointcloud upside-down, then drapes a cloth over it, so anywhere where trees would be, the cloth will only fall onto the ground.
This is a very quick and rough example, but it works pretty great.
View attachment 532309
View attachment 532310
Thanks mate, much appreciated.. Yeah CSF was the option I spotted, but my data has 5 returns... Some tiles appear to have 8. But even without returns or CSF, filtering by intensity removes a lot of the offending vegetation :)
LI_removed.jpg

To start with I'll use the full data along the roads (especially for FFB meshes), using a poly line along the roads centreline, and cutting out the road, and a few metres either side (capturing any rock edges / ditches etc)... , probably using around a million polys per mile. (I think I will need a new drive for all this data, I've guestimated it will be around 14 billion polys for the 900 or so tiles... Obviously not 14B polys by the time it gets in game)
5_returns.jpg
(5 Returns)

nice_centrelines2.jpg
(As you can see, it has some great corners... and conveniently has a 'visitor centre' slap bang in the middle of the 'track')

Anyway, I'll leave this future project there for now, up until it warrants its own thread.... Soon™ :D

Meanwhile.... A few texture / shader tweaks... General balancing, applying a few things learnt while updating Pacific Coast.
Much better road spec (shine), and at the moment pretty much the same texture usage as v1.2

Varying times of day, varying PP filters... double yellows are part of the road texture for now, will split those off later.
_terrain_adjust_a.jpg

_terrain_adjust_f.jpg

_terrain_adjust_g.jpg

_terrain_adjust_b.jpg

_terrain_adjust_c.jpg

_terrain_adjust_d.jpg

_terrain_adjust_h.jpg

In addition to the 'normal' update version above... I'm also doing a 'Full bore' version... cutting the terrain into 9 areas, applying an 11,289 x 8798 diffuse texture to each area... This is the centre and West 'UV tile' (approx 10km each), just in Max, so not with detail textures, masks, shader effects... CSP or Sol etc. (too much contrast on the West tile as different Satellite pass)
lac_full_bore_2_tiles.jpg

I've always wanted to try this, but unfortunately probably not widely releasable, 1.2gb's of textures just for all 9 tiles.
Also as I've sliced through the terrain in North/South, East/West cuts... For now, Poly count has gone up a few million. Not really practical, I'm guessing not VR friendly! :D

EDIT: Quick test seems to work well...
lac_2022_fb.jpg

(looking North up Angeles Crest)

lac_2022_fb_b.jpg

(looking West along Angeles Crest - towards Red Box Gap)

Last edited:
I reckon you can easily create a few LOD models that look somewhat decent with a decimate modifier (or even leave the edges untouched so they always match the adjacent tile).

It looks great, by the way!
Thanks mate, decimate? is that the Blender equivalent of pro-optimize?... I'd have to go easy on that to not upset all those planted bushes :D I was thinking of dropping a cloth over each tile, get some north/south/east/west quadness back on the meshes... But then I'd again have to avoid unplanting bushes, and also have to re-cut all the roads again... not a job I'd like to repeat if possible. lol :D
oho
we. need. more. trees.
we don't have the technology
:D Don't panic mate, full bore does come with a few bushes included (Just ksPerPixel... no detail texture blend and I'll have to adjust my 'green filter') Nice to have fractionly more than 1 pixel per metre resolution though :)
comes_with_bushes_included.jpg

Mt Lawlor... (Fictional parking lot... Accurate water tanks lol)

comes_with_bushes_included2.jpg

Mt Disappointment (LA Side looking northwest), not looking too disappointing, San Gabriel Peak on the Right... Slightly higher... hence Mt Disappointments name.

comes_with_bushes_included3.jpg

(Looking West) Angeles Crest on the right, Red Box in the distance.

Only quick tests on the Centre Tile (10x10km) due to the fun of chopping because of the editors 65k limit.
I also doubt all 9 tiles will make it into 1 kn5 due to the editors 32bit goodness... so there's that fun if I pursue this version :D

Kunos, Assetto 64bit available when? :D
Procedural vegetation available when?

Thanks mate, decimate? is that the Blender equivalent of pro-optimize?... I'd have to go easy on that to not upset all those planted bushes :D I was thinking of dropping a cloth over each tile, get some north/south/east/west quadness back on the meshes... But then I'd again have to avoid unplanting bushes, and also have to re-cut all the roads again... not a job I'd like to repeat if possible. lol :D
Yep, exactly the same :)
I was more thinking in the lines of 10×10 km or 5×5 km tiles and set the LOD distance in a way that it will switch in maybe half that distance. You can then easily reduce full-detail tiles to 10% without ever noticing it, keeping those pristine ridge lines. Not sure if the amount of polygons/vertices really is the worst for performance. I did a test once and AC handles millions just fine. So it might be the combination of textures/shaders/whatnot.
Foliage shouldn't really be an issue at 2,5 km away, I guess :p

Maybe I'm over-simplifying it in my head; could be more hassle IRL.

Yep, exactly the same :)
I was more thinking in the lines of 10×10 km or 5×5 km tiles and set the LOD distance in a way that it will switch in maybe half that distance. You can then easily reduce full-detail tiles to 10% without ever noticing it, keeping those pristine ridge lines. Not sure if the amount of polygons/vertices really is the worst for performance. I did a test once and AC handles millions just fine. So it might be the combination of textures/shaders/whatnot.
Foliage shouldn't really be an issue at 2,5 km away, I guess :p
Thanks mate, yeah some method will work, I'm pretty sure of that... and only if it's for my own personal use... I'm going to do it, and it will work. Atm though priority is the next 'normal version'... currently when time permits, I'm making separate road line objects. Good news is, for around 35 miles so far... equals around 80,000 polys. As you say the AC engine, although lacking in certain ways, is pretty strong and can handle a ton of polys, it's more texture limitations.
Maybe I'm over-simplifying it in my head; could be more hassle IRL
To be honest, you might possibly be over simplifying it a little...
I may have been known to do that myself... Hmmmm a 75 mile canyon track?... I mean, how difficult can it really be? :D

Miles of road lines as separate objects... not much to see zoomed out (around 150k extra polys)
75miles_of_roadlines.jpg

Zoomed in on the start area...
lac_start_lines_a.jpg

Still need some tweaking, but they'll basically look like this over the new road base surface. 16k texture high mips.
lac_start_lines_b.jpg

Checking the road base UV's are pretty square with chequerboards... again can't see much zoomed out...
Two colours for now during setup, meaning two road base materials... when done will mix together around 10... Using different combinations of textures.
75miles_of_chequerboard.jpg

lac_chequer_a.jpg
lac_chequer_b.jpg

Put the new roads & terrain together... and it's getting dialled in....
_lac_2022_sw_angeles_crest.jpg

Just the terrain mesh... (normal version looking down ACH)
Satellite image blended with an in progress... scrub texture for medium/far distance. Pretty much same texture sizes as 1.2.

Will probably be a while yet... manually painting rock over a large area could take some time...
As a thank you, to those of you that have shown way more support than you needed to...
You'll get to drive 1.4? early (not sure on the version number yet, will have to see how good it gets ;) )

EDIT: Next version already has a soundbank... Will need to find out how to trigger some of the sounds at night only.

Last edited:
Miles of road lines as separate objects... not much to see zoomed out (around 150k extra polys)View attachment 535867
Zoomed in on the start area...
View attachment 535870
Still need some tweaking, but they'll basically look like this over the new road base surface. 16k texture high mips.
View attachment 535871
Checking the road base UV's are pretty square with chequerboards... again can't see much zoomed out...
Two colours for now during setup, meaning two road base materials... when done will mix together around 10... Using different combinations of textures.
View attachment 535866
View attachment 535868View attachment 535869
Put the new roads & terrain together... and it's getting dialled in....
View attachment 535882
Just the terrain mesh... (normal version looking down ACH)
Satellite image blended with an in progress... scrub texture for medium/far distance. Pretty much same texture sizes as 1.2.

Will probably be a while yet... manually painting rock over a large area could take some time...
As a thank you, to those of you that have shown way more support than you needed to...
You'll get to drive 1.4? early (not sure on the version number yet, will have to see how good it gets ;) )

EDIT: Next version already has a soundbank... Will need to find out how to trigger some of the sounds at night only.
could try conditions on an Event_ ?
CONDITION = NIGHT_SMOOTH

I've watched the videos, lovely map. But I followed the install guide, tried downloading the main LA canyon however still Content Manager does not find the map. It's a shame i cannot play this map as I was really looking forward too. I may try and Manual install it though.
please try to read everything here :

could try conditions on an Event_ ?
CONDITION = NIGHT_SMOOTH
Thanks mate, will give that a go :)
I'm not at home right now, but check Assen's config file; I've got bird sounds that start at sunrise and end at sunset. Probably through condition=night_smooth. Works fine :)

Looking good, by the way!
Thanks for that...
I thought that was just for Material Adjust / Light series... ok cool :)

I also wouldn't mind having the insects be more prominent on hot days... But maybe that's pushing it :D

I've watched the videos, lovely map. But I followed the install guide, tried downloading the main LA canyon however still Content Manager does not find the map. It's a shame i cannot play this map as I was really looking forward too. I may try and Manual install it though.
What Ben said... But also check you haven't got a folder in a folder... and you'll need Full Content Manager to have access to the Content / Mods section. So without full version you can't enable the mod.

Either send a few quid to Ilja for the full version of CM or... free JSGME mod enabler (available here on RD) does the same thing. (Follow their respective guides... How these things work is beyond my control)

Thanks mate, will give that a go :)

Thanks for that...
I thought that was just for Material Adjust / Light series... ok cool :)

I also wouldn't mind having the insects be more prominent on hot days... But maybe that's pushing it :D
well well, it's all very possible :D

in common/conditions.ini you have all the ready-to-go conditions, like NIGHT_SMOOTH, you also have SEASON_SUMMER_NORTH and so on :cool:

(edit: sorry it changed page :x)

Last edited:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 14 12.4%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • Thursday

Votes: 14 12.4%
  • Friday

Votes: 42 37.2%
  • Saturday

Votes: 64 56.6%