LA Canyons

Tracks LA Canyons 1.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
Ok, so the map works fine, but It's displayed with a warning triangle at on the right, and all the thumbnails are missing. Any idea why?

Attachments

• Screenshot (656).png
    Screenshot (656).png
    243 KB · Views: 191
I installed LA Canyons VIP Full PLATINUM according to the included PDF.
After starting AC with DRIVE->single->QUICK->PRACTICE (using Content Manager) I tried:

a) LAC - Pursuit (this works)
b) LAC - Angeles Crest (Eastbound), Error message: "AC ran into a critial error: CANNOT HAVE 0 CARS IN RACE.INI".
c) LAC - Pursuit VIP, Error message: same as above

The LA CANYONS 1.2 Layout Guide shows a difference, but may be its not important in this case.
In case b) there is a Quick Race and a Race Weekend, in case a) and c) there is only Hotlap and Practice.

I'm using Content Manager and configured in every possible section seven AI opponents but the error message remains.
Afterwards I checked the three cases with AC directly, the error message remains.

What I'm doing wrong?

Regards
Michael

Last edited:
Ok, so the map works fine, but It's displayed with a warning triangle at on the right, and all the thumbnails are missing. Any idea why?
Must admit I have NO idea what you've done mate... If you just dragged and dropped into Content Manager... Don't it's not setup that way... You're probably better deleting the track folder and starting again, following the 'Install Guide' starting with installing the main track. When installing any VIP, allow any overwrites as requested.
I answer to myself. Most likely I didn’t start in practice mode.
It works now without changing anything.
Cheers, hopefully my email also helped :)
how to make a traffic? can i do this in Free version ?
Traffic only runs on the FREE, main loop roads anyway... If you also only want FREE traffic, there's a version someone else has done here on RD. But if they overtake blindly, causing accidents... Don't come here asking why :D

LAC_Happy_Holidays_2021.jpg

Merry Christmas! (ok slightly late) I hope you all have a great festive season and I hope 2022 brings better times for you & your family. Stay safe and thanks for all your awesome support!
❤

LA Canyons terrain texture rework (similar to PCH) in progress.
Please note: Flying reindeer won't be available until a future version of CSP!

Last edited:
I've just noticed quite the accomplishment.... (not sure when this happened)

LA Canyons is the most downloaded Assetto Corsa track on Race Department... (283,206)
With the most individual reviews of any Assetto Corsa track... (723)
The other 282,483 people who left no review probably got lost in the Canyons somewhere! :D

When I think back to the original planning phase, I thought... I doubt anyone on RACE Department will be interested in a ROAD track... Proves how much I knew! But I did it regardless :D

This accomplishment would not have been possible without @Ben O'Bro 's awesome work & dedication... Cheers dude!
My Sisters huge help with a very large volume of Admin... Thanks Sis x :)
Without those that have helped each other out in the Support Thread... Thanks, you know who you are, so do I :)
Without everyone that has taken the time to leave a review (the nice/normal reviews... not the ones that mean nothing)
And without the awesome site that is Race Department existing in the first place... Thanks dudes, I hope you still have some beers left for New Years! :D

Moving forward into 2022... I have a few plans, these will depend primarily upon how normal the world decides to get...
However, I have discovered the most epic road I have ever seen, unfortunately for Assetto Corsa, it's 30km's long!
This will also be dependent upon sourcing enough detailed LiDAR data for reference.
If things start happening, I'll announce more later! Until then :speechless:

All the best for the New Year, whatever way you're celebrating, I hope you stay safe while doing it! Cheers! :inlove:

I can't seem to get these tracks working? I try both methods but the tracks just don't show up. Or when they do they have a little *hazard* sign next to them and my game crashes when running them.

I've just noticed quite the accomplishment.... (not sure when this happened)

LA Canyons is the most downloaded Assetto Corsa track on Race Department... (283,206)
With the most individual reviews of any Assetto Corsa track... (723)
The other 282,483 people who left no review probably got lost in the Canyons somewhere! :D

When I think back to the original planning phase, I thought... I doubt anyone on RACE Department will be interested in a ROAD track... Proves how much I knew! But I did it regardless :D

This accomplishment would not have been possible without @Ben O'Bro 's awesome work & dedication... Cheers dude!
My Sisters huge help with a very large volume of Admin... Thanks Sis x :)
Without those that have helped each other out in the Support Thread... Thanks, you know who you are, so do I :)
Without everyone that has taken the time to leave a review (the nice/normal reviews... not the ones that mean nothing)
And without the awesome site that is Race Department existing in the first place... Thanks dudes, I hope you still have some beers left for New Years! :D

Moving forward into 2022... I have a few plans, these will depend primarily upon how normal the world decides to get...
However, I have discovered the most epic road I have ever seen, unfortunately for Assetto Corsa, it's 30km's long!
This will also be dependent upon sourcing enough detailed LiDAR data for reference.
If things start happening, I'll announce more later! Until then :speechless:

All the best for the New Year, whatever way you're celebrating, I hope you stay safe while doing it! Cheers! :inlove:
Wishing you all the best for the New Year and let's hope that '22 chills out a bit and returns us all to a somewhat normal life (although i'm not really sure what that is anymore) ;)
Congratulations for the most popular AC track on RD and fingers crossed you find the time to start on a new project - i know it's lips sealed but which part of the wonderous A13 are you going to be making :p

I can't seem to get these tracks working? I try both methods but the tracks just don't show up. Or when they do they have a little *hazard* sign next to them and my game crashes when running them.
Not sure mate, but it sounds like you have the same issue as born2drive did earlier....

If you didn't drag and drop it into CM... (That won't work as it's not setup for that, there are optional addons eg. hide pit crew)
Maybe you have a folder within a folder? If you only have the Lite version of CM, this can complicate the process as apparently this doesn't give you access to the Content / Mods section of CM.

Maybe if you're in CM when installing... Come back out and restart.

Before firing up AC... Make sure you have an la_canyons folder in your assettocorsa/content/tracks folder....
Other than that, maybe an update with CM/CSP etc has changed something somewhere again.

Wishing you all the best for the New Year and let's hope that '22 chills out a bit and returns us all to a somewhat normal life (although i'm not really sure what that is anymore) ;)
Congratulations for the most popular AC track on RD and fingers crossed you find the time to start on a new project - i know it's lips sealed but which part of the wonderous A13 are you going to be making :p
Thanks man, yeah '21 was a little better than '20... so hopefully '22 can continue that trend..... and then some.
There are some early signs that 2022 may improve things... So lets hope so :)
Massive respects to anyone working in healthcare, whatever country you're in! Stay strong, and thanks for your service! :inlove:

Thanks, well people seem to love traffic... so I thought M25... J29 - 1A - Weather set to grey rainy dismal Monday morning? (makes me laugh.. Traffic and Rain IRL are two things people hate.. WTF!)
Thanks are due to UK roads... They've made Californias roads look SO appealing to recreate... If I lived in California, I'd be driving them instead, not in 3DS Max... So LA Canyons wouldn't exist! I'm pretty pleased what has been achieved so far, considering I haven't even stepped foot in the U.S...... Yet :D

Last edited:
What an excellent work this is, thank you so much!

Just one question regarding two-way traffic, my AI cars tend to pile up a lot (one car comes to a complete stop almost and others pile up behind it), some cars are crashing into each other etc.
What is the best way to have the most realistic behaving AI in two-way traffic, like can they be a bit slower, follow the speed limit perhaps or a manually set speed limit?

Last edited:
thanks for the good work i have many hours in this track
Thanks man, glad you're having plenty of fun in the Canyons :)

My friend is having the same issue. I downloaded it just fine. Hope something is figured out for you two.
1) follow the Install Guide where possible... DO NOT Drag & Drop into CM... It's not setup for that!

2) Maybe you have a folder within a folder... So AC can't find the track properly.
After 'installing' double check you have an la_canyons folder in your assettocorsa/content/tracks folder.
If you haven't, you've installed incorrectly, and it won't work properly.

What an excellent work this is, thank you so much!

Just one question regarding two-way traffic, my AI cars tend to pile up a lot (one car comes to a complete stop almost and others pile up behind it), some cars are crashing into each other etc.
What is the best way to have the most realistic behaving AI in two-way traffic, like can they be a bit slower, follow the speed limit perhaps or a manually set speed limit?
Thanks Boris :)

(copied from my reply to your review)

I take it this happens while using CM's Trackday mode... (as I've heard this often)

1) Don't use too many cars in Trackday mode... around 5 - 10 should be fine... No more than 15 AI or AI Flood (Trackday) gets really buggy. (this likely also applies to many other tracks)

2) If cars stop in the road (while in Trackday) turn off 'Fuel Consumption'
While in Trackday mode... They don't seem to make fuel calcs properly, and don't take enough fuel.

3) Some mod cars (and a few Kunos cars) can behave weirdly (particularly in Trackday mode)
The way Assetto works... It drops cars on to the track at the start...

Turning off damage may help cars with 'dodgy' suspension... not break, and keep respawning again and again, broken!
If you notice a particular car is being dumb repeatedly... Remove it from your selected AI cars.

If problems persist while using Trackday... Use Race Mode instead (uses default Kunos AI routines)

Hope this helps!

Happy New Year... All the best to anyone reading this, hopefully 2022 can improve things... Fingers Crossed!

A few things that will hopefully pan out depending on 2022 playing nicely...

Firstly... Trying to get LA Canyons terrain textures / foliage / roads better balanced. This isn't as straight forward as I'd like, as the area is so huge... and trying not to use textures larger than 8,192.
lac_2022.jpg

(View West from above Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Road)
lac_2022_angeles_crest.jpg

(View West from above Angeles Crest)

Also quickly looking into sourcing enough detailed LiDAR data for another potential project... Good news is, there's a lot of data available... Bad news is... There's a LOT of data available! :D

Approx 15 million polys per 1x1km DEM 'tile', multiply that by around 900 tiles! (My old PC wouldn't have liked this at all)
There is basically elevation data, approx every 9 - 10cms. TLS (Terrestrial Scan) would up this, but this would require a road trip. Don't expect a laserscanned LAC anytime soon, tempting as it is... Just checking out data levels / processes for now.

lac_lidar_a.jpg

LA Canyons - Start Area (Cloudburst Canyon)

lac_la_canada_lidar_a.jpg

lac_la_canada_lidar_b.jpg

LA Canyons - La Cañada Flintridge

Possible new project data sourced (testing Lidar methods for clean up only on a few tiles for now)
project_x_lidar_1.jpg

project_x_lidar_2.jpg

Increased specularity on the last screen, just to see the level of road detail... Seems nicely detailed, even has height info for the centreline / crown. I'm most interested in camber / bank angles for lofts.Just working out how to filter by the scans 'return', to remove tree noise... The last return being ground height info. It would also improve workflow having RGB info for all the points in all the clouds, I'm reasonably sure I have a workaround in the pipeline.

Who knows how any of this will pan out, but great to know there's a vast amount of data available.
This will be no magic pill to make a track, but will be great to get a highly accurate reference of all roads / road foundations.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Prizes

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Trophies

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 1 4.0%