HOW TO INSTALL GTR2 and PnG3 in 2019 ?

----------------------------------------------
| HOW TO INSTALL GTR2 HQ Anniversary PATCH |
----------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT :
-----------
- NEW CLEAN GTR2 INSTALL FROM DVD or STEAM + GTR2 HQ ANNIVERSARY PATCH (PART1+PART2) ARE FULLY WORKING ON WINDOWS XP/VISTA/7/8/10/11 !!!

- DO NOT INSTALL SIMBIN PATCH 1.1 / NOCD GTR2.EXE / 4GB PATCH BECAUSE THEY ARE ALREADY INCLUDED AND YOU WILL BREAK GTR2 SETUP !!!

First you will need to install :
--------------------------------
- 7zip archiver to create/open archives : https://www.7-zip.org

Included in GTR2 HQ Anniversary Patch : GTR2_SETUP.CMD will install them automatically if required*
- Microsoft DirectX 9c June 2010
- Microsoft Visual C++ VC redist 2010 sp1 with MFC security update
- Microsoft Visual C++ VC redist 2015-2019

(*) a POP PUP will be prompted if install is required : you just need to click YES to allow install program in this case.

-------------------------------------------
| 1a) PRELIMINARY FOR DISC VERSION ONLY |
-------------------------------------------
- insert GTR2 DISC

- choose any language

- install GTR2 directly at the root of one of your drives like D:\GTR2HQ

- DO NOT SET 3D CONFIG : UNTICK 3D CONFIG BOX at the end of install !!!

- DO NOT RUN GTR2 YET !!!

- REMOVE GTR2 DISC and go to 2)

--------------------------------------------
| 1b) PRELIMINARY FOR STEAM VERSION ONLY |
--------------------------------------------
- Buy and install GTR2 from STEAM

- NEVER MODIFY ORIGINAL GTR2 STEAM INSTALL, KEEP IT ALWAYS CLEAN!!!

- Copy or make an archive (7z/zip/rar) of your clean GTR2 folder from STEAM\steamapps\common\GTR 2 - FIA GT Racing Game

- Copy or extract your clean GTR2 archive directly at the root of one of your drives like D:\GTR2HQ

- go to 2)

----------------------
| 2) GTR2 INSTALL |
----------------------
- download and install GTR2 HQ Anniversary PATCH : 1 SINGLE ARCHIVE SPLIT in 3 parts (001 is the header file and this is THE ONLY ONE YOU MUST OPEN, IGNORE 002/003 FILES BECAUSE THEY ARE ONLY READABLE BY 7zip DURING EXTRACTION), YOU MUST DOWNLOAD THE 3 PARTS FIRST THEN YOU CAN EXTRACT 7z.001 FILE (I REPEAT, IGNORE 002/003 FILES BUT THEY ARE REQUIRED AT SAME PLACE AS 001 FOR 7zip EXTRACTION) : RIGHT CLICK ON 7Z.001 FILE, WHILE YOU HOLD RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON YOU MOVE MOUSE POINTER IN YOUR GTR2 FOLDER (where GTR2.EXE is), THEN RELEASE RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON, LEFT CLICK ON "7-zip" >> "EXTRACT HERE" AND click "YES" to overwrite ALL files/folders (check "APPLY TO ALL")
part-1 : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gtr2-hq-anniversary-patch-part-1.21415/
part-2 : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gtr2-hq-anniversary-patch-part-2.32658/
part-3 : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gtr2-hq-anniversary-patch-part-3.54224/

- you can also add HQ 2005 FiaGT season : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gtr2-hq-2005-fiagt-mod.32765/

- and finally there is a hotfix to apply :

- right click on GTR2CONFIG.EXE >> left click PROPERTY >> COMPATIBILITY >> tick ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS box (you can skip this step only if you use CrewChief plugin because without CrewChief plugin GTR2 will not launch if administrator rights are not set to both GTR2config.EXE and GTR2.EXE)

- right click on GTR2.EXE >> left click PROPERTY >> COMPATIBILITY >> tick ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS box (you can skip this step only if you use CrewChief plugin because without CrewChief plugin GTR2 will not launch if administrator rights are not set to both GTR2config.EXE and GTR2.EXE)

- use RadeonMod or Nvidia Profile Inspector (available in [OPTIONS]\f-[Windows TOOLS]) to set AA/AF (NVIDIA ONLY: set Antialiasing compatibility to Diablo III and select "replace/override application setting" for AA mode, you can also enable DSRX4).

Moreover on a LAPTOP you need to set both GTR2Config.EXE + GTR2.EXE to your GPU instead of poor integrated graphics.

- now run GTR2config.EXE (choose 32bits resolution, dx9) but Do NOT choose AA/AF here because the antialiasing/anisotropic settings in gtr2config are basic/outdated and doesn't manage advanced AA/AF that you have got with recent nvidia/AMD panel.
Turn off Vsync as FFB in GTR2 is tied to refresh rate (HIGHER FPS = BETTER FFB), moreover Vsync is never a good idea as you get lag.
Nevertheless, if you have +400 fps then you can get missed gear changes so try to limit the fps to 120 with nvidia/AMD panel.

- install Bill's process manager or Bitsum Process Lasso, and set GTR2.EXE "CPU AFFINITY" to use at least 2 cores of your CPU (you can skip this step if you use CrewChief Plugin)
You can also do it manually each time after launching GTR2 by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC then click on PROCESSUS tab, right click on GTR2.EXE and set AFFINITY to ALL CORES.

- RUN GTR2_SETUP.CMD
>> page I choose language
>> page II choose HUD
>> page VI choose binary (NOCD IS SET BY DEFAULT)
>> page VII choose plugin (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
>> page VIII choose defviews FOV (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
>> page IX choose PLR* FFB (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
(*) you can rename later "PLAYER.PLR" file in "GTR2\UserData\PLAYER" then "PLAYER" folder in "GTR2\UserData" with same NAME of your choice
>> set other options as you like or skip them with S key

- from now you can run GTR2.EXE

---------------------------------------
| 3) Power & Glory 3 (PnG3) INSTALL |
---------------------------------------
note: since I have made the GTR2_SETUP.CMD the install order GTR2>>HQ PATCH>>PnG3 or GTR2>>PnG3>>HQ PATCH is no more important. Indeed SETUP allows you to install GTR2 or PnG3 UI and other options afterward so you will have the same content in the end. The only small issue if you do GTR2>>HQ PATCH>>PnG3 is that PnG3 installer will detect modified files from HQ Patch as "corrupted" but just ignore these error messages because my HQ files are patched but not corrupted.

- follow STEP 1a) or 1b), then 2) to create a clean GTR2 install in D:\PnG3 by example

- you must run GTR2 at least once before installing PnG3 MOD

- download and install PnG3 mod : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/power-glory-for-gtr-2.21450/

- RUN GTR2_SETUP.CMD
>> page I choose language
>> page II choose #9 HUD PnG3 Anniversary
>> page VI choose binary (NOCD IS SET BY DEFAULT) #1 without CrewChief or #2 with CrewChief
>> page VII choose plugin (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
>> page VIII choose defviews FOV (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
>> page IX choose PLR* FFB (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
(*) you can rename later "PLAYER.PLR" file in "GTR2\UserData\PLAYER" and "PLAYER" folder in "GTR2\UserData" with same NAME of your choice
>> page XI choose Settings.DDB file : HQ AI is recommended for offline but PnG3 version is required for festbierbude.de online
>> page XII choose UI PnG3 #A or #B (I added 24h/driving school lines in main menu plus many other tweaks)
>> page XV you can type #1 to remove safely all modern GTR2 cars (base+hq) which are not required for PnG3 mod
>> page XVI choose #1 OR #2 PnG3 HQ Anniversary if you want moving wipers and important fixes
>> page XVII choose #1 for wipers without CrewChief or #2 if you have CrewChief plugin installed (nvidia RTX recommended)
>> page XVIII choose #B for patched Mustang Safety Car
>> page XXXI choose #4 PnG3 Driving School cars

- from now you can run GTR2.EXE

--------------------------------------
| 4) CrewChief plugin (CC) INSTALL |
--------------------------------------
- visit thecrewchief.org to download CC app called "CrewChiefV4.msi"
- install CrewChiefV4.msi in DEFAULT PATH (DO NOT CHANGE IT!)
- run GTR2_SETUP.CMD :
>> page VI you MUST set #2
>> page VII select either #4 to copy CC files in your GTR2 without openvr_api.dll (NO VR), or #5 if you want to use openvr_api.dll for VR headset
>> page VIII you MUST update defviews FOV
>> page IX you MUST update PLR
>> page XVII choose #2
Now you can exit setup with "X" key

- now your GTR2/PnG3 install is READY FOR CREWCHIEF

---------------
| UNINSTALL |
---------------
Just delete folder D:\GTR2HQ or D:\PnG3

That's all folks!

Last edited:
https://wj32.org/processhacker/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2925

it's a false positive and it's open source. don't trust blindly antivirus software. i'm using this tool for years. never had any problems with it.

I know antivirus will often report false positives but I get sketched out when more than a few programs, and some that are bigger names, are also reporting malware and viruses.

It's unfortunate but better safe than sorry.

That said, if enough other people I trust were to say it's safe I'd probably install it.

Installing Bill2's Process Manager? I thougth the PnG3 launcher offers an option to enable all cores? Although I must say it doesn't work always...
As you said that doesn't work 100% for all people

Does the +fullproc command not work with this then?
no, it doesn't work sadly

I know antivirus will often report false positives but I get sketched out when more than a few programs, and some that are bigger names, are also reporting malware and viruses.

It's unfortunate but better safe than sorry.

That said, if enough other people I trust were to say it's safe I'd probably install it.
Moreover, same problem as Bill2's Process Manager for me : it is no more updated for many years so I stick to Bitsum Process Lasso :)

Last edited:
As most people do not read my readmes and install process I bump this thread and repeat that installing directX9 2010 is mandatory with windows 10 :

more Essential ................

Copying the exes to another location loses any admin/ compat. settings or am I missing something ?
and fresh OS resets all admin /compat ..agreed ?
Which means you have to set all admin again for all exes all over or again am I missing some windows settings ?

AppCompatibilityView (ACV) will retain settings even in empty folders
Most useful when using OVGME even more so if you do gMotor2.0 installs as a GME mod
ie: disabled the folder will be empty apart from folder template but still retain rights ;)

When you have many gMotor2.0 folders ( or anything else for that matter ) keep a up to date copy of the ACV registry then next Fresh OS, one click to import reg and you good to go ;)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags

edit:
Understand I am talking about people run many gMotor2.0 sims and folders not a few

Last edited:
Just upgraded to Windows 10 Home 64bit and these instructions worked like a charm :)

I find I only needed to set Run As Administrator, I haven't needed compatibility modes yet, but I have already done 1.1 Patch + NoCD + 4GB so one of those may be the reason.

Looks like it's going to run smoothly, no issues so far after a few laps.

Oh, also, I have found that Bill's Process Manager and Boderless Gaming are running without issues.

Last edited:
I run mods for 4 different resolutions and I must run compat. mode for GTR2config.exe

I use 1360x768 when I work on GME mods so i can boot GTR2 and do edits or check skins against mods in real-time
then 1920 for TV 2560 for Gsync monitor and 4K for both monitors with AMD or Nvidia dynamic features ( I run both)

Okay default files .... if I set windowed mode GTR2 boots and changes desktop res ( like it is bad for monitor ) then ends in 1366 full screen, looking at config.ini will show windowed mode has reset itself to = 0

If I set the config.exe to W7 compat mode the windowed mode mod works as it should and no weird sync flashing
W7 compat. shows 2GB of system ram where XP mode shows 1GB system ram
Also if you run both ways you will also see differences in video ram and object and texture detail levels
These USED TO affect texture detail in game with old graphics card ...does not seem to anymore

So every time video driver changes I make new res mods, edit config.ini then set read only

I think I actually did start using compatibility modes. I think I used Windows XP SP3(?) because it defaulted to that when I initially set it on the EXE and it makes sense since I think WinXP was the main OS at that point.

I agree compatibility modes do seem like a good idea now. I don't quite understand it but I think they're providing old SDK APIs for things like old DirectX, etc.

GTL is same, set 1360 windowed and desktop bugs out then boots full screen
Set compat. mode to config.exe it works
All my gmotor/gmotor2 is on my 3200G / Vega 8
Nvidia did the same thing on 3900X/RTX2080

Other reason I set ini manually and set read only is 1/2 OCD
But in GTL and rFactor if OBJ and TEX are not set to maximum in video settings menu you will get different colour
when you select higher levels telling you these settings are not recommended with the GPU it thinks you got
Like config.exe was conceived for video cards with 512/1024mb ram or less as some people would be running 128 and 256mb cards

OBJDETAIL=3
TEXDETAIL=3

You won't get different colour as below ..... which is what it will reset to every time you do config.exe
Telling me I can only run medium anything higher goes white , red in rfactor I think

GTL MENU 2.jpg
GTL MENU.jpg

Doh
So setting both OBJ TEX to =3 you get all black like below like I said OCD lol

With old old cards it would actually lower the in game texture to match what config.ini said and looked horrible
Whether GPU gens or drivers changed or W10 I have no idea but ingame now is always =3 no matter what config.ini says

GTL MENU 3.jpg

P.S.

Oh yeah ....only gmotor I have that displays correct hardware info in config.ini are Automobilista and rFactor2

Last edited:
I’m trying to install PnG as per instructions. Thanks for all the work on this mod, GTR2, and GTL. Much appreciate. I got the latter 2 working great per your instructions. Unfortunately my luck has run out. First of all the PNG download here at RD wouldn't work for me. I had to get it from another site. Seems to be the same file(s). Then when I ran the PNG installer, it got almost to the end and then said:

”#ERR: unable to open file ‘C:\Users\MyUserName\Documents\GTR2\CONFIG.INI’ for reading”

after creating a log folder and 2 dummy log files. I chose option #2 to slim down files. I musta missed something. I thought I’ve read, understood, and followed your instructions. Any suggestion, besides drink myself to oblivion? TIA.
Jim

Edit: 50 minutes later: I made a dummy CONFIG.INI file and put it in the right place and the installer completed and PnG runs successfully! You can delete or move this post depending on if it seems it might be of value to some other poor schmuck with a similar issue.

Thanks! Love having this installed and running again esp. with all the extra goodies.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 286 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years