Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Surprise! A new GRID game is heading our way this September 13th.

Having been heavily focussed on their rally and Formula One games since 2014’s GRID Autosport released, Codemasters have today made the surprise announcement that the popular franchise will be making a return to console and PC this year – confirming GRID 4 is set to release this September on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Featuring the usual mix of real world and fantasy tracks located across four continents, plus plenty of racing content from low power machines to Grand Prix cars, GRID should offer plenty of variety for players of all skill levels when it drops later this year.

GRID_SanFran_Muscle_4.jpg

GRID_Ferrari_Brands_Hatch_1.jpg

Although exact details regarding the depth of content set to ship within the game has yet to be revealed by Codemasters, the British development team have confirmed the inclusion of Formula One machinery, in the form of at the least the 2006 Renault RS06.

With the new title having been developed in conjunction with Fernando Alonso and his eSport racing team, players will have the opportunity to race against the former double World Champion and 2018 Le Mans winner in game, as part of the structured career mode the title is so famous for in previous iterations of the franchise.

“We are also delighted to work alongside Fernando Alonso who is arguably one of the world’s greatest ever drivers” said Chris Smith, GRID Game Director at Codemasters. “His experience and knowledge has enabled us to make improvements to both the performance and handling of our cars. We could not be more proud to have signed him both in-game and as a Race Consultant. We can’t wait for our players to experience the final version when it comes to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC this September.”

As well as the inclusion of Alonso, images revealed from the game also reveal Brands Hatch will be included in the base version of the title, as well as a selection of tin top machines such as a TCR spec VW Golf and various American muscle cars.

GRID_VW_Brands_Hatch_2.jpg

GRID is well known as a ‘simcade’ style game, and it looks like the latest release will continue that trend, but with leanings towards simulation in order to appease a wide variety of driving tastes.

“GRID as a racing franchise is revered by our community and we are delighted to bring it to the current generation of consoles,” continued Smith. “The game offers so much variety and depth, from the number of modern and classic cars through to the locations and race options. Renowned for its handling, the game will appeal to all types of player, from casual drivers who want a lean-in challenge, to sim drivers who want some serious fun”

The game is already available to pre-order, and it looks like Codemasters will be adopting the DiRT 2.0 approach to post release DLC, with space set aside for 3 ‘seasons’ of additional purchasable content confirmed during the initial announcement.

More news will follow, as and when it becomes available.

GRID_Shanghai_Muscle_Shot_4.jpg

GRID will release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC September 13th 2019.

Stay tuned to the upcoming GRID 4 sun forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussions about this exciting new game.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

It used to be Forza for PC, but as now we have both Motorsport 7 and beautiful Horizon 3 and 4 on PC platform, who would go for this one except for nostalgic reason or if they offer VR?

I cannot even.... Controller chase cam gameplay, constantly ramming opponents and bouncing off walls, 2 lap race with endurance cars on a fantasy city circuit, UI stuff spammed in the middle of the screen, giving points for drifting, nemesis system...

Part of me was almost interested in the game earlier. Guess I had no idea what kind of game this really is.
Well you clearly never heard of the previous Grid games ? These weren't never advertised as simulations...

Grid New Cars Announced.jpg

Codemasters have revealed the next big bunch of cars that will make an appearance in the upcoming new GRID videogame.

Loads of different types of four wheel performance seems to be the order of the day for the upcoming GRID racing game by Codemasters, as can be seen in the latest content reveal for the upcoming arcade racer.

Once again, our next look inside the content list of GRID is an impressive one. From the high performance tuning scene right through to race cars of many different eras, check out the full list below..

Latest GRID car announcement details:
  1. Alfa Romeo 155 TS – Touring
  2. Aston Martin Vantage GTE – GT
  3. Audi R8 1:1 – Tuner
  4. BMW M3 Touring Car – Touring
  5. BMW M1 Turbo Group 5 – Touring
  6. Chevrolet Camaro GT4.R – GT
  7. Chevrolet Camaro Super Tourer – Touring
  8. Datsun 240Z (S30) Modified – Tuner
  9. Dumont Type 37 (fictional) – Stock
  10. Ferrari 330 P4 – GT
  11. Ferrari 365 GTB4 Competizione – GT
  12. Ferrari 512 BB LM – Touring
  13. Ferrari F430 Challenge – GT
  14. Ford Capri Turbo Group 5 – Touring
  15. Ford GT GTE – GT
  16. Ford GT40 – GT
  17. Ford Mustang GT4 – GT
  18. Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth – Touring
  19. Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth Group A – Touring
  20. Holden ZB Commodore Supercar – Touring
  21. JEDI F1000 – SPEC – Open-Wheel
  22. Jupiter Eagleray Mk5 (fictional) – Stock
  23. Jupiter San Marino Oval Stock (fictional) – Stock
  24. Lancia Stratos – GT
  25. McLaren M8D – Prototype
  26. Mini Miglia Challenge – Tuner
  27. Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Time Attack – Tuner
  28. Nissan 300ZX (Z32) Modified – Tuner
  29. Nissan 350Z (Z33) Gr.2 – GT
  30. MCA Hammerhead Nissan Silvia (S13) – Tuner
  31. Nissan Silvia Time Attack Spec (S15) – Tuner
  32. Nissan Skyline 2000GT-R (KPGC10) Modified – Tuner
  33. Nissan Skyline GT-R Group A (R32) – Touring
  34. Pontiac Firebird Modified – Stock
  35. Porsche 911 Carrera RSR 3.0 – GT
  36. Porsche 917/30 – Prototype
  37. Porsche 935/78 Group 5 “Moby Dick” – Touring
  38. Porsche 911 GT4 (997) – GT
  39. Alpine A110 1800 Group 4 – GT
  40. SUBARU BRZ Modified – Tuner
  41. Volvo 850 Estate Touring Car – Touring

Of course these aren't the only cars expected to form the base content for the new GRID title. We've already had word from the first reveal batch, details of which can be found in our recent article HERE.

Well, no one can complain about the quantity or variety of machines in GRID - and only a few short weeks until release day to try it out for ourselves...

GRID will release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC October 11th 2019.

Stay tuned to the GRID 4 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussions about this exciting new game.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Volvo 850 Touring Estate? do I smell the cheaty TWR Volvo 850 Touring Car from TOCA?
Seems like they're just using old licenses they already own right?
I mean, why not, you paid for it so if you can still use it then it just fleshes out your new title.
But yeah, not sure this is really my cuppa. I have a bunch of videogames on my PC that I really want to play yet cannot due to being hopelessly addicted to rF2 and ACC...

Classics are nice but I looked up the entire car list and there's not a single 2019/2020 car there and only few 2018 cars. Between this and selling Dirt 1 content as Dirt 2 DLCs, Recyclemasters are really living up to their name.

MCA Hammerhead is the odd one out I think. Going the EA way of licencing custom cars from small race teams/tuners.
There are quite a few time attack cars like the audi 1:1 and the mitsubishi evo on that list. I did not check each of them but I'd imagine some of those are drift cars and some are time attack.

Seems like they're just using old licenses they already own right?
I mean, why not, you paid for it so if you can still use it then it just fleshes out your new title.
But yeah, not sure this is really my cuppa. I have a bunch of videogames on my PC that I really want to play yet cannot due to being hopelessly addicted to rF2 and ACC...
unless you pay a lot extra for the license, you are only licensing said car PER game, so for next game you have to pay license again

on "cheaper" cars that still saves a lot of money though, as the making of the actual car ( model + textures + + sound recording and processing + physics) is more expensive then the license and for your next game you only do updates / tweaks

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back