• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Featured GRID: First Car Reveals.. Here's What to Expect

Discussion in 'GRID 4' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +22,617

Codemasters have revealed the first 12 cars to be included in the upcoming GRID racing game.

Freshly reinvigorating the GRID franchise with a follow-up to 2014's GRID Autosport, the recently announced new title from Codemasters is a distinct nod towards high speed arcade racing games from Codemasters past - with all the bells and whistles of modern graphics available in today's high tech world.

Set to feature performance road and race cars once it releases in September 2019, GRID has already caused plenty of raised eyebrows when news first dropped about the title on the run up to E3 this year.

Short on much in the way of known facts, Codemasters have today polished off what has been a busy week at the studio by giving us some insight into 12 of the cars set to appear in game - and as you would expect, the list contains plenty of enviable brands and models in which players can take out for a spin...

B Grid 4 2.jpg
    • Auto Gallery Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32) – Tuner
    • Audi RS 3 LMS – Touring
    • Chevrolet Camaro SSX Concept – Stock*
    • Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Modified – Stock
    • Chevrolet Corvette C7.R – GT
    • Dodge Challenger SRT Modified – Stock
    • Ferrari 488 GTE – GT
    • Ford Focus TC-2 – Touring
    • Ford Mustang Mach 1 Modified – Stock
    • Pontiac Firebird Modified – Stock*
    • Porsche 911 RSR – GT
    • Volkswagen Golf GTI TCR – Touring
    A GRID 4 1.jpg

The high profile and hard to acquire Ferrari licence headlines the content list so far, with the lovely 488 GTE making its mark already in preview footage and trailers previously revealed by the studio. As well as the Italian marque, GRID is also notable for the inclusion of GTE rival Porsche, plus a healthy representation from Ford, who seem to be remarkably shy in licencing their brand within other racing titles.

This is just the opening roll of the dice for Codemasters, expect more news in the coming weeks...

GRID will release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC September 13th 2019.

Stay tuned to the GRID 4 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussions about this exciting new game.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Instagram
    Youtube
    Twitch

• Like Like x 4
  2. aka2k

aka2k

Ratings:
    +179
    This new GRID so far feels a lot like a 2008's GRID reboot. Not a bad idea actually. Especially if some of Dirt Rally physics philosophy make it in.

• Agree Agree x 14
  3. BrunoB

BrunoB

Ratings:
    +114
    I have zero experience in Grid - but taken from the video the game looks pretty cartoonish:)
    But excited to hear about the physics;)

4. Lawndart

Lawndart

Ratings:
    +33
    The original Grid was one of the best campaign/career structure of any racing game. You earned sponsorship and applied them to your car and worked through classes against a rival team (Raven West?) and eventually a showdown with them fighting for the championship. It all worked quite well and wasn’t goofy and loaded with “yo bro” crap. It all felt very fluid and you really felt like you were working your way through the trials and tribulations of of a race team.

For the time, the physics where on par with Forza and GT and it had great peripheral support. I’d almost argue it had one of the best traction models not seen since. You could fight the car and it always tried to stay planted, like s real race car. Not what we have today in most sims of trial and error to find limitations.

I have some of my fondest racing game moments both online and off in Grid. Even made friends online that I still play other games with today.

• Agree Agree x 9
  5. Ryno917

Ryno917

Ratings:
    +565
    Very much a different experience to mine. It felt like a bloody hovercraft and completely soured me on the entire franchise. I thought it was absolutely abysmal on the handling front. Granted I only tried the demo, but that was enough for me to never go near it again.

Shame, because the career sounded cool.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur

Ratings:
    +630
    So GRID is your reference, interesting perspective, always found it barely drivable with a game pad and totally arcade with a wheel.
    To each his own.
    I guess VR is out of the question as not judged important for the targeted audience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Naliport Halulam

Naliport Halulam

Ratings:
    +45
    I don't understand why they are insisting on working on a cargame with a mobile racing game physics for PC/consols, with their budget and the physic model from F1 games, they can play in GT or forza field, in term of physics and content.

I can't really get their logic with the Grid series.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Beer Beer x 1
  8. aka2k

aka2k

Ratings:
    +179
    I never get that logic too. CM has the expertise to play in the Polyphony/Turn10 field and be able to beat them easily. Maybe they are lazy or too comfy or both with the F1 money rolling in.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Stig's Portuguese Cousin

Stig's Portuguese Cousin

Ratings:
    +4
    Remember only one game series from codemasters is aimed to be a simulator and that's DiRT Rally, F1 is know world wide so it needs the arcade part so everyone can play & GRiD was always arcade too so, everyone talking about physics, hope you're not expecting iRacing 2.0 from this, looks quite nice for me and the physics don't look like Burnout, not too much out of the real world, my opinion tho

10. thepharcyde

thepharcyde

Ratings:
    +273
    If they can be bothered with cockpit view, I will be imterested, else 'No Buy'

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Lawndart

Lawndart

Ratings:
    +33
    Interesting, perhaps it was that used hood view and wheel, but I don’t remember if I had the Fanatec 911 yet... but I never tried pad. Those days inconsistencies where a norm, even same game on a dif platform. I was on Xbox with a Playseat.

But somehow it resonated with me, and I’ve raced RL competitively for many years prior and since. It could be worth firing it up again to see how it feels on PC... if it was ever made for PC?

12. Raymond 18

Raymond 18

Ratings:
    +9
    They re-used the Chevrolet Camaro SSX Concept from previous games. But not a bad choice, I like it.

My concern are the DLCs : they will propose gorgeous cars in each category to complete the grid only with their DLCs (example : in the GT category you will have Ferrari, Porsche and Chevrolet in the standard game but if you wish to drive Aston Martin or Lamborghini cars, you would pay for them).
    I know very much the CM system since TOCA, always the same :p

13. Naliport Halulam

Naliport Halulam

Ratings:
    +45
    We need to face it, a car game without engaging physics has no depth into it, doing laps in circle without the slightest feedback from the car won't bring any enjoyment to the audience.

And don't tell me it's too hard for the mass, millions of people actually play dota (for exemple) which it's way harder and more complexe (gameplay wise) than any simulation out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lentoveloz

Lentoveloz
    Premium

Ratings:
    +55
    How much arcade is it going to be? The less the better. How close will it be to a simulation? The more the merrier. Will all cars and tracks be available early in the game? I no longer have the patience to run where I do not want to be unlocking cars and tracks. In september, I'll wait for your opinion to buy later.

15. BrettSinclair1

BrettSinclair1

Ratings:
    +34
    Shades of Race 07 intro:inlove:!?

16. gianlucaP

gianlucaP

Ratings:
    +193
    In the trailer there is also the 155 touring car. :thumbsup:
    I hope to see also the 156 in game.

17. jonination

jonination

Ratings:
    +21
    So many people in here spoiled by modern sims... Grid is not, was not, and never will be anything more than an arcade racer, and a damn good one at that. Its competition at the time was NFS Shift, not GTR2. If you try to compare it to AC or rfactor2, you'll be disappointed. If you want Wreckfest on tarmac, that's what Grid is. Personally I thought Grid 2 was a crime against humanity and Autosport didn't do enough to absolve the former, but I cautiously anticipate this "reboot" and won't let the pillars of proper race sims (cockpit, physics, no unlocks, ffb maybe) be what I judge it on.

Simply how faithful is it to the original.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT

Ratings:
    +439
    There was some beta release of Grid with VR support, I remember game looking darn good and very well optimized on flat screen, sounds like a good candidate for VR.
    Of course if Forza releases VR, that would be every arcade, simcade racer dream come true.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  19. Metla

Metla

Ratings:
    +178
    In this day and age we should be able to have detailed arcade physics, Its not so much comparing it to AC but rather saying, Its 2019, why has your base model not improved for 20 years?

20. Jonny Austin

Jonny Austin

Ratings:
    +32
    I am still waiting for Codemasters to make TOCA Touring Cars 3 or TOCA Race driver 2.
    The track list for Toca Race driver was awesome.Custom races & championships on single player if I remember correctly.This in 2005.

• Mount Panorama V8 circuit (Bathurst)
    • Barbagallo - Long, V8 and Short circuits
    • Eastern Creek - Grand Prix, V8, Short and Southern Loops circuits
    • Queensland Grand Prix circuit
    • Oran Park - Grand Prix, South and North circuits
    • Sandown Park V8 circuit
    • Gold Coast Indy 300 Grand Prix circuit
    • Symmons Plains Raceway V8 circuit
    • Philip Island Grand Prix circuit
    • Hidden Valley Raceway
    • Adelaide Street circuit
    • Bahrain - Grand Prix, Internal, and External circui
    • Spa-Francorchamps Grand Prix circu
    • Shanghai Grand Prix Circuit
    • Brunn - Brno Grand Prix Circuit
    • Hockenheim - Grand Prix, National and Short circuits
    • Lausitzring EuroSpeedway - Grand Prix circuit
    • Norisring - Grand Prix circuit
    • Nurburgring - Short circuit
    • Motopark Oschersleben - Grand Prix, 'B' and 'C' circuits
      Mondello Park - International, National and Short circuits
    • Zandvoort - Grand Prix, National, Club and Oostelijk circuits
    • Pukekohe Park Raceway
    • Istanbul Park Circuit
    • Donnington Park - Grand Prix and National circuits
    • Oulton Park - International, Island and Foster circuits
    • Silverstone - Grand Prix, International, National, and South circuits
    • Brands Hatch - Grand Prix and Short Indy circuits, plus Rally Cross track
    • Bedford Autodrome - GT, North, East, South and West circuits
    • Snetterton
    • Castle Coombe
      Indianapolis Motor Speedway Oval
    • Nashville Super Speedway
    • Dover International Raceway
    • Gateway International Raceway
    • Gateway International Raceway Road course
    • Laguna Seca Grand Prix circuit

• Agree Agree x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.