Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Surprise! A new GRID game is heading our way this September 13th.

Having been heavily focussed on their rally and Formula One games since 2014’s GRID Autosport released, Codemasters have today made the surprise announcement that the popular franchise will be making a return to console and PC this year – confirming GRID 4 is set to release this September on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Featuring the usual mix of real world and fantasy tracks located across four continents, plus plenty of racing content from low power machines to Grand Prix cars, GRID should offer plenty of variety for players of all skill levels when it drops later this year.

GRID_SanFran_Muscle_4.jpg

GRID_Ferrari_Brands_Hatch_1.jpg

Although exact details regarding the depth of content set to ship within the game has yet to be revealed by Codemasters, the British development team have confirmed the inclusion of Formula One machinery, in the form of at the least the 2006 Renault RS06.

With the new title having been developed in conjunction with Fernando Alonso and his eSport racing team, players will have the opportunity to race against the former double World Champion and 2018 Le Mans winner in game, as part of the structured career mode the title is so famous for in previous iterations of the franchise.

“We are also delighted to work alongside Fernando Alonso who is arguably one of the world’s greatest ever drivers” said Chris Smith, GRID Game Director at Codemasters. “His experience and knowledge has enabled us to make improvements to both the performance and handling of our cars. We could not be more proud to have signed him both in-game and as a Race Consultant. We can’t wait for our players to experience the final version when it comes to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC this September.”

As well as the inclusion of Alonso, images revealed from the game also reveal Brands Hatch will be included in the base version of the title, as well as a selection of tin top machines such as a TCR spec VW Golf and various American muscle cars.

GRID_VW_Brands_Hatch_2.jpg

GRID is well known as a ‘simcade’ style game, and it looks like the latest release will continue that trend, but with leanings towards simulation in order to appease a wide variety of driving tastes.

“GRID as a racing franchise is revered by our community and we are delighted to bring it to the current generation of consoles,” continued Smith. “The game offers so much variety and depth, from the number of modern and classic cars through to the locations and race options. Renowned for its handling, the game will appeal to all types of player, from casual drivers who want a lean-in challenge, to sim drivers who want some serious fun”

The game is already available to pre-order, and it looks like Codemasters will be adopting the DiRT 2.0 approach to post release DLC, with space set aside for 3 ‘seasons’ of additional purchasable content confirmed during the initial announcement.

More news will follow, as and when it becomes available.

GRID_Shanghai_Muscle_Shot_4.jpg

GRID will release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC September 13th 2019.

Stay tuned to the upcoming GRID 4 sun forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussions about this exciting new game.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Hey, it is what it is. Looks like fun to chill out and blast around in cool-looking environments.

I especially like the addition of Havana (as I've been in those exact streets and can remember many of the landmarks portrayed) and the return of Barcelona (I've lived there for a few months, and always visit whenever I can - a pity it's not the Montjuïc historic circuit, tho.).

Sure as hell it's not a sim, but I'll probably give it a try at discounted price. Splitscreen gameplay would be cool for this kind of game, too.

There’s a very decent mod for rf2 that currently has the Mazda, Caddy, and the Acura is due soon.

It’s still a work in progress but it’s a decent piece of work and getting there. Pm me if you want a link matey.

Pretty sure those models are ripped though and the "creator" was essentially holding them over people's head begging for money or they wouldn't be released. Making money off of someone else's work is not really something that should be supported.

I love a good arcade racer and remember spending a lot of time with the previous installments of the series, but honestly...this looks very bland and uninteresting. Which I think is a problem with many arcade racers these days - they just play very same-y, which means there's little point in playing them.

Also, I just have to say I absolutely hate that "play the game 2 days earlier if you pay us more" thing they got going (and not just them, sadly, it's quickly becoming the norm).

But we'll see I guess.

On the topic of DPIs in sims, the only people that'd be able to do them well in existing software wouldn't do it for free and wouldn't be able to get a license. Therefore they'd have to change the brand name, which for a car that's entire racing existence revolves around its branding is a lot riskier than doing the same for one that's ten (or more) years old. Even then, if you have the data you need, you're probably already working for one of the teams.

And no, it being official content in any currently available sim would not guarantee accuracy to any degree (look at AC and RF2 - both have licensed LMP content, neither are accurate to the real cars).

First of all GRiD 4 looks like the first game that actually manages to capture the original GRiD’s look and feel. This game is not going to please simulation fans, but will be a fast and often aggressive simcade. It would be a shame however if they did not include a more refined driving model, because IMHO the original game was at its best on real racing tracks in touring cars and GT class cars, when it was closest to being a TOCA sequel. Unfortunately Codemasters lost sight of what was once TOCA and got further with each iteration of GRiD. Going back to the first GRiD is a good first step, but without that sprinkling of enough sim it is just not worth it, at least not at full price.

Bottomline want to see a lot more regular track racing in some Touring and GT classes, from the cockpit and driven like a sim.

Last edited:
Pretty sure those models are ripped though and the "creator" was essentially holding them over people's head begging for money or they wouldn't be released. Making money off of someone else's work is not really something that should be supported.

I don’t think so. The mod is free and he hasn’t asked for any money for it. I see he has a Patreon page but that’s optional. The delay with the Acura is he’s simply on holiday now.

Where would he rip them from? The first release was for AMS back in May I think. They were then converted to RF2 and they’ve posted updates on the physics being worked on.

I’m not doubting you but the usual signs are not there in this case.

Someone had done a mod for Assetto Corsa recently and I know those were ripped from another game or used poor 3D models. I haven’t tried it but I understand it’s pretty awful anyway. Lol

I don’t think so. The mod is free and he hasn’t asked for any money for it. I see he has a Patreon page but that’s optional. The delay with the Acura is he’s simply on holiday now.

Where would he rip them from? The first release was for AMS back in May I think. They were then converted to RF2 and they’ve posted updates on the physics being worked on.

I’m not doubting you but the usual signs are not there in this case.

Someone had done a mod for Assetto Corsa recently and I know those were ripped from another game or used poor 3D models. I haven’t tried it but I understand it’s pretty awful anyway. Lol
All of the decent DPi models (besides a version of the Mazda) are from RR3 (phone game). None have been scratch for a sim (the mazda I mentioned is a render model).

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 78 29.1%
  • More leagues

Votes: 55 20.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 59 22.0%
  • Trophies

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 17 6.3%