Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Surprise! A new GRID game is heading our way this September 13th.

Having been heavily focussed on their rally and Formula One games since 2014’s GRID Autosport released, Codemasters have today made the surprise announcement that the popular franchise will be making a return to console and PC this year – confirming GRID 4 is set to release this September on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Featuring the usual mix of real world and fantasy tracks located across four continents, plus plenty of racing content from low power machines to Grand Prix cars, GRID should offer plenty of variety for players of all skill levels when it drops later this year.

GRID_SanFran_Muscle_4.jpg

GRID_Ferrari_Brands_Hatch_1.jpg

Although exact details regarding the depth of content set to ship within the game has yet to be revealed by Codemasters, the British development team have confirmed the inclusion of Formula One machinery, in the form of at the least the 2006 Renault RS06.

With the new title having been developed in conjunction with Fernando Alonso and his eSport racing team, players will have the opportunity to race against the former double World Champion and 2018 Le Mans winner in game, as part of the structured career mode the title is so famous for in previous iterations of the franchise.

“We are also delighted to work alongside Fernando Alonso who is arguably one of the world’s greatest ever drivers” said Chris Smith, GRID Game Director at Codemasters. “His experience and knowledge has enabled us to make improvements to both the performance and handling of our cars. We could not be more proud to have signed him both in-game and as a Race Consultant. We can’t wait for our players to experience the final version when it comes to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC this September.”

As well as the inclusion of Alonso, images revealed from the game also reveal Brands Hatch will be included in the base version of the title, as well as a selection of tin top machines such as a TCR spec VW Golf and various American muscle cars.

GRID_VW_Brands_Hatch_2.jpg

GRID is well known as a ‘simcade’ style game, and it looks like the latest release will continue that trend, but with leanings towards simulation in order to appease a wide variety of driving tastes.

“GRID as a racing franchise is revered by our community and we are delighted to bring it to the current generation of consoles,” continued Smith. “The game offers so much variety and depth, from the number of modern and classic cars through to the locations and race options. Renowned for its handling, the game will appeal to all types of player, from casual drivers who want a lean-in challenge, to sim drivers who want some serious fun”

The game is already available to pre-order, and it looks like Codemasters will be adopting the DiRT 2.0 approach to post release DLC, with space set aside for 3 ‘seasons’ of additional purchasable content confirmed during the initial announcement.

More news will follow, as and when it becomes available.

GRID_Shanghai_Muscle_Shot_4.jpg

GRID will release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC September 13th 2019.

Stay tuned to the upcoming GRID 4 sun forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussions about this exciting new game.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
I'm seeing high downforce prototypes drifting here? I know this isn't a proper simulation but surely they can do a little bit better?
For you, and everyone "shocked", "surprised" about how this gameplay looks like - check some onboard from first GRiD.

This game is going to be something like this. It's a game for people, who wants to have fun driving nice cars in nice places. And that's the greatest thing about it. It's not a sim, you can relax, margin for error is huge (flashbacks etc.).

Stop complaining. Don't want to buy? Fine. You don't have to tell whole world about this.

Wait! This ISN'T the mobile port...!?!

I don't know why they get so excited with the new cities. They ALL look the same when they put the same armco and catch fencing and signage at EVERY track. That's all your eyes see. From the screenshot above, that could be Rome, San Fran, Washington, anything, let alone Havana... Why not have some cheeky Communist propaganda as billboards. (Could work in Shanghai too...)

It’s all good. This is the type of racing game that a young fan who loves racing can get excited about and play for hours on console. Reminds me of how I felt about Gran Turismo 1 back in the day. It’s probably going to be a very visually tasty experience, fun with a game pad and not aimed at Sim Snobs that some of us have become! (I know who I am, ;))

• Deleted member 955978

Why, oh why do you need to publicate this PILE OF ****?
Why?
It’s not even worth playing for 15 minutes.
And you know it.
So why even bothering with this SIMCADES ****

Some ideas from this game could actually have some reasonable impact on the existing racing sim market!
Because combining existing sim car behaviour(tire model and physics) with the fantasy feature of using normal streets in existing cities (maybe converted to tracks) could be fun to race - hehe when the realistic race tracks in existing racing sims gets too booooring.
An ancient example of this was the Paris city track for NR2003/GTP mod.
It was great fun driving around wellknown Arc de Triomphe and Fontaine De La Concorde in a racing game with reasonable sim behaviour.:D

Arc de Triomphe.jpg

Some ideas from this game could actually have some reasonable impact on the existing racing sim market!
Because combining existing sim car behaviour(tire model and physics) with the fantasy feature of using normal streets in existing cities (maybe converted to tracks) could be fun to race - hehe when the realistic race tracks in existing racing sims gets too booooring.
An ancient example of this was the Paris city track for NR2003/GTP mod.
It was great fun driving around wellknown Arc de Triomphe and Fontaine De La Concorde in a racing game with reasonable sim behaviour.:D

View attachment 319199
Paris races were possible - a big load of fun - in Grid Autosport, around the Eiffel Tower and Champs Elysees ;)

Grid 1 was alot fun back then. But I'm not sure that it will satisfy my interest for Console Racing this time. I do enjoy racing GT Sport and Driveclub, and PC2. But i most admit that the fun factor in general are lacking more and more. I want VR Racing it's the only real good experience, but not that many support it and Not even this one. So is it a technical issue or is it just plain laziness from these money maker companies. I really don't get it. Maybe to many stock owners

look at AC and RF2 - both have licensed LMP content, neither are accurate to the real cars

I smiled when I saw this comment. I enjoy racing the Oreca 07 in RF2, and manage to do pretty well in the car and it's good fun for me and I like it.

However you are absolutely right. Unless you run the car in low drag configuration, it's very difficult to win against other online racers. The top speed advantage is too great and in reality the car should be too slow through the corners if the car is really that low on downforce.

I was reading a great online article in Race Car Engineering about the ELMS teams testing the Oreca 07, they don't use the low drag/downforce kit anywhere, it just makes the car too unstable. Even at Monza and Spa they used the high downforce kit and then trimmed the wings out.

At Le Mans they use a bodykit specific to that track so doesn't really count; but I found the article very interesting all the same and just shows that what works in a sim isn't always what happens in real life.

Anyway, don't wish to go off topic!

I have raced on the GRID games, will I get this one? Not sure. I enjoy my current batch of sims to much but we'll see. I suppose if you want to just jump into a car and have a race with friends or online it's a good option.

However you are absolutely right. Unless you run the car in low drag configuration, it's very difficult to win against other online racers. The top speed advantage is too great and in reality the car should be too slow through the corners if the car is really that low on downforce.
One of the main problems with the RF2 Oreca is that the HDF package is some 10% down on downforce to the real thing. The LM kit seems to be in the right ballpark; maybe a little high in efficiency. Additionally, and I'm not sure how RF2 manages this, but the loss of downforce in yaw/roll seems to be far too low (haven't been able to check ever since they locked the telemetry channels after I pointed out the problems with the car on their forum).

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back