Assetto Corsa Competizone - Release 5 Review & New Hotfix Details

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Updated.jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione hit version five recently, and to celebrate we've recorded a quick review video, as well detailing the contents of the latest hotfix release...

Ok, so before we get onto the hotfix released earlier today, you might want to check out our version 5 release review video, set to air live on our Twitch RDTV channel at 20:00 UTC Saturday 19th January. You can catch the action on Twitch HERE.

In the video, we will be taking out the new Emil Frey Jaguar G3 on the wonderful Zolder racetrack in a variety of different weather and time of day conditions. Looking at the update in detail, and sharing our thoughts on the way Assetto Corsa Competizone feels post V5 update, the video is a quick and dirty look at one of the most interesting and packed full of potential racing simulations of 2019, check it out..!

RDTV Twitch Channel

In other news, Kunos have released another small hotfix update to the title earlier today, the second such update since deploying the new version 5 build back on Wednesday. The new hotfix, available now, contains various small improvements to both the car, track and simulation itself, details of which can be seen below:

Hotfix V 0.5.2 Notes:
  • Jaguar collider fixed with soft collisions
  • Minor updates to Zolder
  • Fixed incorrect sound played in UI when Zolder is selected
  • Fixed look left/right with chase camera when Lock to Horizon is enabled
  • Fixed camera pitch change when Lock to Horizon is enabled
  • Enabled look left/right with dash and bonnet cameras
  • Fixed look back input using a controller binding

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on Steam Early Access now. Currently at build release 5 status.

To keep abreast of all the latest news and discussions from the world of Assetto Corsa Competizione then don't forget to check out our very own ACC sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Like what we do here at RD? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Wow, the comments... I guess a real soldier will not recommend CSGO because he didn't die when a terrosrist shot at him in the game. It's not realistic! Yeah, I know that, derp!

So just to clarify, you think some 17 year old kid, or some 60 year old Joe nobody that never drove a real vehicle in anger, can provide more usefull feedback about the realism of a physics engine than a guy that has the first person experience, plus setups and other relevant real data?...

To play devil's advocate, some real drivers are indeed quite terrible at giving feedback about a sim. They don't have PC's at home, they think gaming is some silly time waster for kids, sit inside a sim for the first time, and go "WOW! IT HAS MY EXACT CAR! COOL GAME GUYS 10/10."

But this dude has 250 hours in original AC so that argument goes out the window.

His "review" should be more precise to be taken with more weight.
After "Slides like on ice" and "unable to complete 1-2 laps" he sounds like those console arcade players trying a pc racing sim with aids off for the first time.
Professional driver with unprofessional review.

His "review" should be more precise to be taken with more weight.
After "Slides like on ice" and "unable to complete 1-2 laps" he sounds like those console arcade players trying a pc racing sim with aids off for the first time.
Professional driver with unprofessional review.
Why do I think a pro driver has better things to do than enlighten a bunch of sim players? I’m happy he bothered to say anything at all.

You have to remember that professional drivers are likely accustomed to being compensated for feedback of this sort. It’s highly unlikely that he has either the time or inclination to prove anything to us.

He clearly bought ACC for his own use - not to review it for our benefit. He knows the car doesn’t drive right. Why does he then need to prove it to himself?

If he did spend a great deal of time posting videos and the like, I’d frankly suspect he was someone impersonating the real Josh Webster.

I don't care if he is a real racing driver or not, real racing and sitting in front of a computer screen, playing a computer game, which all racing sims are, are two different things.
The fact is he has only played ACC for One hour, then he as the nerve to question users that have put in more hours playing it than him, he is questioning why they gave ACC a positive reviews, maybe his helmet is to tight for his head, and he cant comprehend that some people actually do test a piece of software for hours on end, then provide valuable feedback.
Yeah, it’s totally outrageous that a real life pro driver who actually drove the Huracan GTD at the Sebring 12h would DARE to question the opinions of a bunch of guys who spend countless hours playing with a plastic wheel attached to an R/C car motor.

WE are the experts! Not this wannabe!

/sarcasm off

And everyone was playing so nice in this thread for a while with respectful replies even in disagreement...back to normal then!

Regarding the sim racer vs racing driver I noticed this hit the Eurogamer headlines today:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...just-beat-an-ex-f1-driver-in-a-real-life-race

Personally I see this as a positive, these games are getting closer to reality and a way to practice, build real life driving skills and by the results of several competitions one way to identify talent.

these games are getting closer to reality and a way to practice, build real life driving skills and by the results of several competitions one way to identify talent
Or it might just be that the person who happens to have exceptionally fast responses in a video game can also have exceptionally fast responses in real life.

Reviews can be very subjective.. If any of you enjoy this title, or any other title, then good for yah. Realism will never be captured to some degree. As long as the essentials are present to enable racing, or whatever they are trying to simulate, then that may be all you need.

Try to ask Jimmy Broadbent when he drove that McLaren in the TOP GEAR race track, while he was swearing how grippy the real car was. Ask Lando Norris about his posts when iRacing FR2.0 was in it's first months. How he said in real life those cars lap the fastest on it's second lap during races, and the laps only goes slower after that, but iRacing physics is obviously the opposite. I mentioned these two because they are good examples of people who went from one to the other.

No simulation is perfect. If one wants realism, it's probably a good idea to just go and do the real thing and shut up. Opinions can easily be manipulated, especially in the internet. One can have a bad opinion but changed to good when he's paid, and another good impression can go salty easily if one is banned from his favorite SIM's forum. Just saying... :whistling: I've been there... :roflmao:

Anyways, how bout some fair words from another real driver? BELOW
https://davidperel.net/assetto-corsa-competizione-alpha-a-racing-drivers-take/

@MarkR I subscribe to the school of thought that says both matter :) You can hone your skills in anything a lot with practice, obviously, but each one of us has his own limits as well that no amount of practice will change.

I think they are getting it too much complicated (who needs 8 engine fuel maps, and different in all cars..., just because it exist in real life?:O_o:) and it is going to cost the most basic things, like driveability and feeling of trueness.:unsure:

No simulation is perfect. If one wants realism, it's probably a good idea to just go and do the real thing and shut up.

Opinions can easily be manipulated, especially in the internet. One can have a bad opinion but changed to good when he's paid,

Fully agree, I’d just add be prepared for the real thing to be eye wateringly expensive! I’ve been there to a moderate level and wow do the costs escalate quickly, good fun though of course.

Critical thinking about who is stating the opinion and for what reason on the internet is essential. I’d never heard of Walker before this review and as you pointed out there are other racing drivers who have the opposite opinion. He might be genuinely stating his thoughts but he could also have a connection to another game dev or sponsor and have been paid to promote a point of view. The responses from other posters here with known agendas is fascinating too. Sim racing remains the most divisive niche within a niche of gaming I’ve experienced yet.

I’d never heard of Walker before this review and as you pointed out there are other racing drivers who have the opposite opinion. He might be genuinely stating his thoughts but he could also have a connection to another game dev or sponsor and have been paid to promote a point of view. The responses from other posters here with known agendas is fascinating too. Sim racing remains the most divisive niche within a niche of gaming I’ve experienced yet.

But from the moment the critics is make toward YOUR preferred sim, it´s more convenient to think he got paid from "someone" (for sure you think the guy is Ian Bell, rtight?). But the positive feedbacks, on the other hand were legit.

I see your agenda here.

(don´t refrain yourself to say that the opposite was the case with Pcars: Good feedback: from paid drivers/Bad feedback: from drivers that know the stuff).

No wonder the community is so dissociated....

If one wants realism, it's probably a good idea to just go and do the real thing and shut up.

By this "logic", why are we even bothering with AC or ACC in the first place? If you have no desire for realism, I can assure you that Forza 7 and Forza Horizon 4 are both vastly better games than any of our simulators.

Your "just go and do the real thing and shut up" statement is actually an attempt to silence debate on the subject. It's also a strange thing to say: Obviously, if we could afford to go to the track on a daily or weekly basis, we would. Maybe that's an option for you (though somehow I doubt it), but the rest of us would like a reasonably accurate sim and not just a driving game.

Constructive criticism and open debate are part of the process of refining any simulation, and that's what this discussion is all about (I hope). Telling people to "just go and do the real thing and shut up" isn't just impolite - It spits in the face of everyone who's trying to make these sims better.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 379375

[Da capo] My biggest problem (among many) is that ACC's tires still don't feel like pneumatic rubber devices. They lack the 'springiness' of rubber (technically, 'hysteresis;' what makes a rubber ball bounce); they feel like wooden tires on a sandpaper road.

Yeah spot on, I"m surprised this isn't mentiined a lot more. Good analogy, I've been trying to charactorise the feeling when cornering, I think the sound adds to the impression too.
There is so much wrong with acc at the moment, build 5 is a step backwards for me,the game now crashes almost every time I play.

To play devil's advocate, some real drivers are indeed quite terrible at giving feedback about a sim. They don't have PC's at home, they think gaming is some silly time waster for kids, sit inside a sim for the first time, and go "WOW! IT HAS MY EXACT CAR! COOL GAME GUYS 10/10."

But this dude has 250 hours in original AC so that argument goes out the window.
Well for example some of the emails we have received back and still do receive,
from F4 to F2, drivers and even the teams,
saying that the content has helped them so much even to the point of actually winning races from using AC and our content, so these drivers and such do know what there talking about,
I would not say 100% this is the case for "all" drivers in general, but these games/software do help so much, specially with scanned tracks and if the cars are correct the physics then obviously how could anything get better, but from reading all the comments and playing ingame myself,
there is something wrong with the physics in this ACC, maybe its the tyres, not quite sure,
but the behavior is something you would expect from a full blown arcade game not a "simulator"
yes its still pre alpha so to speak, lets see what the final results are, but so far, I am far from impressed.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • More leagues

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • Prizes

Votes: 22 18.3%
  • Trophies

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 6 5.0%