Assetto Corsa Competizone - Release 5 Review & New Hotfix Details

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Updated.jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione hit version five recently, and to celebrate we've recorded a quick review video, as well detailing the contents of the latest hotfix release...

Ok, so before we get onto the hotfix released earlier today, you might want to check out our version 5 release review video, set to air live on our Twitch RDTV channel at 20:00 UTC Saturday 19th January. You can catch the action on Twitch HERE.

In the video, we will be taking out the new Emil Frey Jaguar G3 on the wonderful Zolder racetrack in a variety of different weather and time of day conditions. Looking at the update in detail, and sharing our thoughts on the way Assetto Corsa Competizone feels post V5 update, the video is a quick and dirty look at one of the most interesting and packed full of potential racing simulations of 2019, check it out..!

RDTV Twitch Channel

In other news, Kunos have released another small hotfix update to the title earlier today, the second such update since deploying the new version 5 build back on Wednesday. The new hotfix, available now, contains various small improvements to both the car, track and simulation itself, details of which can be seen below:

Hotfix V 0.5.2 Notes:
  • Jaguar collider fixed with soft collisions
  • Minor updates to Zolder
  • Fixed incorrect sound played in UI when Zolder is selected
  • Fixed look left/right with chase camera when Lock to Horizon is enabled
  • Fixed camera pitch change when Lock to Horizon is enabled
  • Enabled look left/right with dash and bonnet cameras
  • Fixed look back input using a controller binding

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on Steam Early Access now. Currently at build release 5 status.

To keep abreast of all the latest news and discussions from the world of Assetto Corsa Competizione then don't forget to check out our very own ACC sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Like what we do here at RD? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Played a couple hours again yesterday. Still not digging the FFB and physics. The only car that sort of feels right to me is the Ferrari.
Not impressed by the AI either so I jumped into a multiplayer session with the Ferrari. Zolder at night. Pretty amazed at the graphics considering I have a decent PC and a single monitor so not having issues with performance.
But back to my session....Qualified 4th and during the rolling start procedure the guy ahead of me spun and crashed into me even before the green flag and there goes my race :poop: which reminded me why I prefer racing bots than humans.
Tried for a second time and qualified 2nd and got a fatal error right before the start of the race lol :cautious:

Considering AI is a very important piece for me, I don't think I'll be playing this game as much as I initially anticipated.

Ha ha. Unfortunately for me it's easier for me to keep my left eye open and right eye shut...
On the mend though so hopefully I'll be able to see out of it again soon.
Ouch - been there! I've had 20+ years of cornea issues - actually had both corneas replaced 4 years ago (thanks donors). Have you tried wearing shades? You might look like a plonker wearing them indoors but it really does help.:cool:

Played a couple hours again yesterday. Still not digging the FFB and physics. The only car that sort of feels right to me is the Ferrari.
Not impressed by the AI either so I jumped into a multiplayer session with the Ferrari. Zolder at night. Pretty amazed at the graphics considering I have a decent PC and a single monitor so not having issues with performance.
But back to my session....Qualified 4th and during the rolling start procedure the guy ahead of me spun and crashed into me even before the green flag and there goes my race :poop: which reminded me why I prefer racing bots than humans.
Tried for a second time and qualified 2nd and got a fatal error right before the start of the race lol :cautious:

Considering AI is a very important piece for me, I don't think I'll be playing this game as much as I initially anticipated.
I think you bought the game with the wrong expectations. If AC is any indication, this game was never about AI. AC (for me anyway) has the worst AI of all sim racing games. I do pretty much everything in AC that doesn't involve AI (Rallying, hillclimb, playing Top Gear, or online racing)
ACC, at least how the vision looks, is all about a nice online rating system, comparable to IRacing (less content but a lot cheaper). At least that's the (one and only) reason I bought it.
If you want good AI racing with GT3 cars, there are R3E and rfactor2, which excel in that department.

Ouch - been there! I've had 20+ years of cornea issues - actually had both corneas replaced 4 years ago (thanks donors). Have you tried wearing shades? You might look like a plonker wearing them indoors but it really does help.:cool:
Thanks for the tip. I've actually tried shades now at the shops. Looks odd but at least I can see. May have to return to work this week so will see how they accept the new look then... ;):cool:

I think you bought the game with the wrong expectations. If AC is any indication, this game was never about AI. AC (for me anyway) has the worst AI of all sim racing games. I do pretty much everything in AC that doesn't involve AI (Rallying, hillclimb, playing Top Gear, or online racing)
ACC, at least how the vision looks, is all about a nice online rating system, comparable to IRacing (less content but a lot cheaper). At least that's the (one and only) reason I bought it.
If you want good AI racing with GT3 cars, there are R3E and rfactor2, which excel in that department.

Yeah, rF2 is the only game I play actually. I also own R3E but I prefer the physics and FFB of rF2.
Probably I shouldn't have expected much from ACC's AI but I wanted it to be good and expected them to do better than AC since the focus is now only in a small amount of tracks and cars in a single series.

Idk. In R3E ai wanna kill me :)

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197991230945/recommended/805550/
He mentions how unrealistically ACC feels to him at this stage of developement

And why should anyone take this idiots review serious, how would he know with 1.1 Hours play time on record.

He even as the nerve to question the positive reviews given to ACC, yet those positive reviews filtered in steam by time played, have put in more time than him.

I have friends that have put in over 500 Hours & some more "Testing ACC", I would rather their input than this no body, race driver or not.

And why should anyone take this idiots review serious, how would he know with 1.1 Hours play time on record.

He even as the nerve to question the positive reviews given to ACC, yet those positive reviews filtered in steam by time played, have put in more time than him.

I have friends that have put in over 500 Hours & some more "Testing ACC", I would rather their input than this no body, race driver or not.

Since he drove one, IRL, maybe. Just giving his opinion, just like you do about him.

Yes, how dares he? How could he voice his negative opinion about a computer game?
You know what, I don't think calling him and idiot is enough. Let's all take the pitchforks and gather in front of his house - that should teach him :p

On a more serious note. Does anyone seriously think that a person with an expertise in RL racing needs to spend 500 hours testing a sim to determine that something is off?

And why should anyone take this idiots review serious, how would he know with 1.1 Hours play time on record. He even as the nerve to question the positive reviews given to ACC, yet those positive reviews filtered in steam by time played, have put in more time than him. I have friends that have put in over 500 Hours & some more "Testing ACC", I would rather their input than this no body, race driver or not.

1.1 hours is more than enough when you're a hardcore sim racer with IRL racing experience.

The guys on this level take no time at all dialing in their gear settings. A lot have just a base logitech or thrustmaster wheel so it's a matter of loading profiler settings and adjusting overall FFB level. 2-3 minutes at best.

Most ignore default setup and throw in their universal/real world values right off the bat. This is the discovery phase where they start learning in what ways the tire/suspension model is borked because they're using this phase as mock installation laps where they're purposely overdriving & finding the edge of grip. Two or three of these laps, then slight adjustments they know off by heart. We're at 12 minutes since booting up the game for the first time.

Then a lengthy hotlap session, more setup tweaks that try to exploit or dial out the shortcomings in the physics model, then either a race against AI, or another hotlap session with a half-assed custom setup that most people would pay for.

At this point we're at 48 minutes. They take a break, go to the forum, converse with a few people, look for others talking about strange physics or potential setup tricks, then head back in with one final shot. By the end of that session, they know pretty much everything about the game. Also, they're lapping in the top 1-2% of all leaderboard times. It has now been 1.1 hours.

One hour is the length of a free practice session for these guys in IMSA and it's more than enough time to get the cars dialed in for Qualifying. Implying they need several times that for a computer car is just silly.

Yes, how dares he? How could he voice his negative opinion about a computer game?
You know what, I don't think calling him and idiot is enough. Let's all take the pitchforks and gather in front of his house - that should teach him :p

On a more serious note. Does anyone seriously think that a person with an expertise in RL racing needs to spend 500 hours testing a sim to determine that something is off?

I don't care if he is a real racing driver or not, real racing and sitting in front of a computer screen, playing a computer game, which all racing sims are, are two different things.
The fact is he has only played ACC for One hour, then he as the nerve to question users that have put in more hours playing it than him, he is questioning why they gave ACC a positive reviews, maybe his helmet is to tight for his head, and he cant comprehend that some people actually do test a piece of software for hours on end, then provide valuable feedback.

1.1 hours is more than enough when you're a hardcore sim racer with IRL racing experience.

The guys on this level take no time at all dialing in their gear settings. A lot have just a base logitech or thrustmaster wheel so it's a matter of loading profiler settings and adjusting overall FFB level. 2-3 minutes at best.

Most ignore default setup and throw in their universal/real world values right off the bat. This is the discovery phase where they start learning in what ways the tire/suspension model is borked because they're using this phase as mock installation laps where they're purposely overdriving & finding the edge of grip. Two or three of these laps, then slight adjustments they know off by heart. We're at 12 minutes since booting up the game for the first time.

Then a lengthy hotlap session, more setup tweaks that try to exploit or dial out the shortcomings in the physics model, then either a race against AI, or another hotlap session with a half-assed custom setup that most people would pay for.

At this point we're at 48 minutes. They take a break, go to the forum, converse with a few people, look for others talking about strange physics or potential setup tricks, then head back in with one final shot. By the end of that session, they know pretty much everything about the game. Also, they're lapping in the top 1-2% of all leaderboard times. It has now been 1.1 hours.

One hour is the length of a free practice session for these guys in IMSA and it's more than enough time to get the cars dialed in for Qualifying. Implying they need several times that for a computer car is just silly.
+1 on this. News Flash fellow simracers: Pro drivers do NOT need as much time as you do to come to grips with car control and setups - even on a simulated car. It makes total sense to me that, once it became readily apparent that the simulated Huracan drove nothing like the one he drove in competition, he decided to stop wasting time and go back to AC - Likely hoping that ACC would improve by the time it’s at 1.0.

I did the same thing with GT Sport. Played for about an hour, realized that the physics were bad, never played it again. If I hear that it’s improved one day, I’ll take another look at that time.

Guys, if we just sit here and blow sunshine up the developers behinds, telling them everything is perfect and not being honest - How is that assisting them with delivering a quality product?

I don't care if he is a real racing driver or not, real racing and sitting in front of a computer screen, playing a computer game, which all racing sims are, are two different things.
The fact is he has only played ACC for One hour, then he as the nerve to question users that have put in more hours playing it than him, he is questioning why they gave ACC a positive reviews, maybe his helmet is to tight for his head, and he cant comprehend that some people actually do test a piece of software for hours on end, then provide valuable feedback.

So just to clarify, you think some 17 year old kid, or some 60 year old Joe nobody that never drove a real vehicle in anger, can provide more usefull feedback about the realism of a physics engine than a guy that has the first person experience, plus setups and other relevant real data?...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back