Assetto Corsa Competizone - Release 5 Review & New Hotfix Details

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Updated.jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione hit version five recently, and to celebrate we've recorded a quick review video, as well detailing the contents of the latest hotfix release...

Ok, so before we get onto the hotfix released earlier today, you might want to check out our version 5 release review video, set to air live on our Twitch RDTV channel at 20:00 UTC Saturday 19th January. You can catch the action on Twitch HERE.

In the video, we will be taking out the new Emil Frey Jaguar G3 on the wonderful Zolder racetrack in a variety of different weather and time of day conditions. Looking at the update in detail, and sharing our thoughts on the way Assetto Corsa Competizone feels post V5 update, the video is a quick and dirty look at one of the most interesting and packed full of potential racing simulations of 2019, check it out..!

RDTV Twitch Channel

In other news, Kunos have released another small hotfix update to the title earlier today, the second such update since deploying the new version 5 build back on Wednesday. The new hotfix, available now, contains various small improvements to both the car, track and simulation itself, details of which can be seen below:

Hotfix V 0.5.2 Notes:
  • Jaguar collider fixed with soft collisions
  • Minor updates to Zolder
  • Fixed incorrect sound played in UI when Zolder is selected
  • Fixed look left/right with chase camera when Lock to Horizon is enabled
  • Fixed camera pitch change when Lock to Horizon is enabled
  • Enabled look left/right with dash and bonnet cameras
  • Fixed look back input using a controller binding

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on Steam Early Access now. Currently at build release 5 status.

To keep abreast of all the latest news and discussions from the world of Assetto Corsa Competizione then don't forget to check out our very own ACC sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Like what we do here at RD? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 205301

Am I the only one not happy with physics ? there is no lateral grip ! and no front grip too...strange behaviour, a bit like PC2 (hopefully, way better^^) ... I found it strange, and am very surprised that nobody cares... (maybe people are just hypnotised by graphics...)
@++
PS : don't get me wrong, I'm not here to bash this title, I find it ok, very promising, but this strange "grip system" (and this is not only the tyre model) make me suspicious...
@++

[Da capo] My biggest problem (among many) is that ACC's tires still don't feel like pneumatic rubber devices. They lack the 'springiness' of rubber (technically, 'hysteresis;' what makes a rubber ball bounce); they feel like wooden tires on a sandpaper road.
I find that I can achieve a nice "rubbery" feeling in ACC-FFB but, it can also have a detrimental affect on other effects such as surface details, details under hard cornering, and under-steer feel. If I reduce filter-settings to a low level, the detail is present but, a bit harsh and that "rubbery" quality is gone so, it's a bit of a trade-off as it is now.

The drive-train dynamics are a bit better in release-5 but, still far from those in iRacing. I hope Kunos has more in store for some basic auto-mechanical aspects that are too often ignored in racing-sim's. Watching some videos of RL GT3 cars shows just how far away virtual and reality are but, even my old '69 Chevelle had far more gear-wobble and surge effect than the vast majority of Race-cars in Sim's where such physics are completely ignored.

Am I the only one not happy with physics ? there is no lateral grip ! and no front grip too...strange behaviour, a bit like PC2 (hopefully, way better^^) ... I found it strange, and am very surprised that nobody cares... (maybe people are just hypnotised by graphics...)
@++
PS : don't get me wrong, I'm not here to bash this title, I find it ok, very promising, but this strange "grip system" (and this is not only the tyre model) make me suspicious...
@++

Strange how we all perceive things differently, especially FFB and wheel feedback. To me this build seems to have way more grip than previously and other similar games. Running the 488 GT3 back to back with the same scenario in PCARS2 (on the soft slicks etc) ACC has way more grip and if anything I think it flatters the player quite a bit (I’m still overdriving the cars quite a bit pushing past the grip so the feedback system tells me). I’m using a lowly TX458 wheel, which is still good enough for me so it could be hardware related of course. I’m waiting for the cross platform direct drive wheels before I make that expensive leap. Also I’d accept that maybe I’ve just got used to ACC now, moving between the games always takes me a bit of adjustment but within a few laps my times are broadly comparable. An aside here but some lovely front lift FFB effects over the hill and front end gripping through the following left hander.

The new Jag in particular does seem highly setup sensitive, it was running way too much rear camber for me and seemed to want to oversteer on exit throttle almost everywhere. The other cars much less so with setup.

@++
@++
I think ACC gives a much improved sense of grip than does AC but, perhaps not as effective as rF2 (more progressive steering resistance leading up to grip-loss). Still, it's taken me quite some time to acclimate to ACC's FFB and to find better settings that suit my hardware. I'm still not totally satisfied with the results but, it has good potential imo, if Kunos can provide a bit more adjustability in regard to striking the right balance of FFB-quality and detail (something I can do in AC).

Strange how we all perceive things differently, especially FFB and wheel feedback.

Yes, I keep seeing time and time again people want this game to operate like AC and yet it's never been designed to be like that. Blancpain use control tyres. As mentioned above they are probably like Bakelite and designed to last a long time (I'm exaggerating but this is a customer series; the teams can't afford 50 sets of tyres each race weekend), and with limited slip angle. Kunos have probably had more technical information than any other developer for this racing title. Pirelli and the teams have fed them the data and they've done their best to recreate it in the title. It will of course still change before final release but it will never be Assetto Corsa in either FFB or physics. It's a completely different animal.

I think we can all fall into the trap of trying to make a sim-racing title like our favourite. I get on really well with the FFB in Project Cars 2 and RF2 for example. By contrast I don't get on well with the FFB in Assetto Corsa. ACC is somewhere in between for me at the moment.

I am enjoying ACC at the moment, great work by Kunos so far. :)

@++
@++

No, you're not the only one. There are others, me included but check out this review from RL racing driver https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197991230945/recommended/805550/
He mentions how unrealistically ACC feels to him at this stage of developement

I think we can all fall into the trap of trying to make a sim-racing title like our favourite. I get on really well with the FFB in Project Cars 2 and RF2 for example. By contrast I don't get on well with the FFB in Assetto Corsa. ACC is somewhere in between for me at the moment.

Fully agree with all you said. Why I quoted this part is because I also think the exact same is true of real cars on track. The steering feedback, brake modulation and feel through the car varies widely. In my experience the Ariel Atom is an amazing little track device but the wheel feel is almost non-existent, especially when the tyres are cold or just warm. I've let a few trusted people enjoy some laps and they are often surprised that you need to drive more with your eyes than steering feel. By contrast many Caterham's and Westfield's have great steering feel despite being essentially the same sort of track car and power to weight ratio and running the same tyres. I rented an Exige race car for a day and the steering feel was amazing but the brake pedal was made of wood and utterly on-off scary until the brakes were red hot.

There is a great quote in the latest Evo magazine in a first drive of the new 992 911 Carrera S:

'Porsche's engineers have nailed the steering, which wasn't the case with the early 991'

Now the 911 CS is a £90k car and the engineers didn't get the steering feel right for half a generation...not a £20ish video game trying to simulate multiple cars. I image the Porsche owners forum must be a place of real vitriol and spite if anything like sim racing! It's all OK it isn't ;)

Like you I prefer the FFB in certain games, PCARS2, latest Forza 7, AC & ACC all work just fine for me. RF2 takes me a bit more work but it's still good enough. I haven't tried i-racing for years, when I did try it, Ice Racing was a regular description but I believe it has improved.

What I am surprised by is how much of an issue FFB is in sim racing (your point about us wanting games to feel like our preference is spot on), I started out with in racing games with keyboard, then a gamepad, then a non-FFB wheel and it was all good. There isn't a racing game, or real car, I've experienced yet that I can't be reasonably competitive with, within my ability level after a few practice laps to learn how the car or game handles. I am absolutely a track enthusiast not a pro racer or pro sim racer.

To me a lot of the complaining we see looks like 'I'm not the fastest in the world so the game must be wrong'. In that case, for me, all the games are wrong ;) but they are also flippin brilliant.

Last edited:
When somebody gives feedback without any indication of his hardware, how much time he spent and which cars/tracks he used, you never know if it is a valuable opinion or not.

No front grip, no lateral grip, no grip whatsoever: this is a good description of that Jaguar with default setups. With other cars I feel plenty of grip and driving does not feel very different from AC.

@++
@++
Theres definetly front end grip , i had this issue in last build and i had to fiddle with my wheel settings to get the feel and also setup helped a lot too . Must say it feels great now .

@++
@++

I already said that the physics don't feel good... and alll I got was disagree :)

[Da capo] My biggest problem (among many) is that ACC's tires still don't feel like pneumatic rubber devices. They lack the 'springiness' of rubber (technically, 'hysteresis;' what makes a rubber ball bounce); they feel like wooden tires on a sandpaper road.

On the other hand, if you get 1 tire a little hot in one off-track trip, it's like the tire melted on the tarmac and all you got left is the wheel. Very strange, seems way over done. The temps graph seems to match up, but this doesn't seem real at all.:unsure:

Other than that, I am starting to spend a lot of time in this game and loving it, assuming the UI, etc., will keep coming around.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back