Assetto Corsa Competizione: Release Five Out Now

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Release 5 3.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni have deployed the fifth major build update to Assetto Corsa Competizione today - adding the Emil Frey Jaguar G3 and Circuit Zolder to the simulation.

I suppose anyone who has a passing interest in sim racing has already downloaded, installed and played the new update already, so this article is pretty much preaching to the converted, but just in case you are not still immersed in the new update on your gaming PC, here's the details for what comes included with build release number five:

Release Five Notes:
  • New Emil Frey Jaguar G3 car.
  • New laser-scanned Circuit Zolder racetrack.
  • New special events with online leaderboards.
  • Fixed disappearing main menu UI in VR.
  • Texture memory optimizations.
  • Fixed a chase cam rotation bug.
  • Fixed a TV camera bug.
  • Car light improvements in TV camera views.
  • New inertia calculation method and new more accurate inertia value (advice for setups, use a softer fast damper to let the body move and settle, instead of having the car and wheels jumping)
  • New motion ratio calculation for dampers resulting in more accurate values dedicated to each car.
  • New ABS feature. ABS now never let’s higher than 70% difference between left and right brake pressure. Improves behavior on extreme torque vectoring, like braking and going through a water puddle with one side of the car, but can result in inner wheel locking if driver insists braking hard while turning into a turn. Might need more rear brake bias on certain cars.
  • Improved ABS logic, resulting in better turn-in under braking, on certain cars (most notably modern cars such as the Huracán, F488, BMW M6).
  • Improved TC off on gear-change functionality. TC is instantly switched off and on again when a gear change occurs, in order to protect the engine and drivetrain from heavy vibrations,
  • especially on situations where kerbs and the engine limiter are involved (part of real cars’ TC logic too, occasionally they will even not allow the gearchange). Now the TC off timing is car-dedicated and optimized. Some cars might handle a gear change better than others.
  • Improved tyre thermal model, especially wet tyres.
  • Improved tyre grip when tyres are overheated, such as after a spin.
  • More tyre wear when tyres are overheated, no free meal.
  • Corrected bumpstop position and functionality of the Ferrari 488 GT3.
  • New ECU maps for all cars. ECU maps now influence power, fuel consumption and throttle maps. Usually, the lower number is the more powerful and has the most power consumption. After the initial 3-4 values, it switches to wet ECU maps with similar power and fuel consumption but different throttle maps. Please check the official forum for all the released cars’ ECU map characteristics.
  • New launch control for all cars. Now with manual clutch, just engage 1st gear, put the clutch and accelerator to the floor and the engine will stabilize around 5000rpm. Release the clutch gradually while keeping the accelerator fully open to avoid stalling.
    Audio engine optimizations
  • Fixed potential wrong volumes switching cameras
  • Fixed time multiplier for the end race replay
  • Fixed wrong track map cars position during replay
  • Intro sequence updated

Now that isn't too bad of an update change log is it?

ACC Release 5 1.jpg
ACC Release 5 2.jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on Steam Early Access now. Currently at build release 5 status.

To keep abreast of all the latest news and discussions from the world of Assetto Corsa Competizione then don't forget to check out our very own ACC sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Like what we do here at RD? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:

Jordan Dion

Bluestar Racing
Really nicely done Zolder track!

The Jaguar feeling is a little bit strange for me compared to other car (I need to turn the wheel more for taking turns). The TC is a little bit weak compared to the 488..

I was hoping for a VR clarity update.
Seems they add console variable in the engine.ini

I hope the next update they add mouse support in VR also!

Anyway.. thanks Kunos!:thumbsup:

Really enjoying your work!

FWIW - Unfortunately, VR (or at least WMR) is still broken - at least for me.

As before, I'm still "hovering" high above the UI screen. However, I did manage to click on single player using the keyboard arrow keys - which placed me in the pits but still hovering high over the car and track (no matter which view I tried).

CTRL-Space did nothing to center the view.

Is anyone with WMR having the same problem? If so, have you been able to work it out? FWIW, I have an Nvidea GTX1060 - 3 Gig vidcard running on Windows 10 - just updated to the latest driver.

Thanks!

Major update, lots of new functions:thumbsup: How is VR though? Is it still unplayable?

I see we still run the RD championship for pointless exaggerations.

I run VR smooth and with growing visual quality since first release. Either one likes it, or not. But "unplayable", and telling that as if it is generally so for everybody - that is completely pointless a statement.

The Zolder track is great. The car turns like a brick on locked wheels. The Jag most likely will not become my thing.

Now that isn't too bad of an update change log is it?
Considering the several fundamental (and a whole load less serious) issues which remain unaddressed, and the decreasing time towards a supposed release, it's concerning.

Today's admission is that a big rewrite is underway, which makes fixing all the other stuff seem even less likely. Maybe Kunos will pull it off, but at the moment it's hard to imagine v1.0 arriving in Q1 in a decent state.

Considering the several fundamental (and a whole load less serious) issues which remain unaddressed, and the decreasing time towards a supposed release, it's concerning.

Today's admission is that a big rewrite is underway, which makes fixing all the other stuff seem even less likely. Maybe Kunos will pull it off, but at the moment it's hard to imagine v1.0 arriving in Q1 in a decent state.
AFAIK they have not issued any final release date. That it will be four weeks after EA release 6 is just people'S assumption, like many also beleive after 0.9 must follow 1.0 - not 0.10 and 0.11. They only once said that they are embedded in a kind of mandatory timetable that stems from the timetable of the real world series. They do not have unlimited time, that means.

FWIW - Unfortunately, VR (or at least WMR) is still broken - at least for me.

As before, I'm still "hovering" high above the UI screen. However, I did manage to click on single player using the keyboard arrow keys - which placed me in the pits but still hovering high over the car and track (no matter which view I tried).

CTRL-Space did nothing to center the view.

Is anyone with WMR having the same problem? If so, have you been able to work it out? FWIW, I have an Nvidea GTX1060 - 3 Gig vidcard running on Windows 10 - just updated to the latest driver.

Thanks!

When in game, you could try using a remote and clicking down on the joystick for the SteamVR menu, going to power, then "reset seated position" if it's there.

VR is good for me, locked 45fps, asw on Oculus it’s superbly playable and the Jaaaggg cockpit looks great. Quite surprised by the Zolder elevation changes that are not visible on the monitor.

4K 60fps clarity remains superb and looks like those screen shots from a few days ago. Strangely 1440 looks a lot more blurred - no setting changes. I only know this because I oddly have to lower the main screen quality from 4K to 1440 or lower to stop the OSD items from duplicating (one set floating one set fixed) in the VR headset. 1080 is still quite washed out to my eye too.

All that said, the Jaaaggg is a violent delight, really visceral car bouncing across those chicane kerbs at Zolder and the hotstint challenges are enjoyable, those engine maps and as ever fuel loads make a big difference.

AFAIK they have not issued any final release date. That it will be four weeks after EA release 6 is just people'S assumption, like many also beleive after 0.9 must follow 1.0 - not 0.10 and 0.11. They only once said that they are embedded in a kind of mandatory timetable that stems from the timetable of the real world series. They do not have unlimited time, that means.
https://www.assettocorsa.net/competizione/roadmap/

When in game, you could try using a remote and clicking down on the joystick for the SteamVR menu, going to power, then "reset seated position" if it's there.
Thanks for the suggestion, but what do you mean by a "remote" and "going to power"? I have only a steering wheel, pedals and a computer keyboard and mouse (no joystick).

Could you be more specific on what you mean? Do you mean that I should look in a SteamVR menu rather than an in-game menu in ACC?

Thanks.

Looks good. Will do my best to try this release at least. Skipped release 3 and 4 as I was playing other Sims with my Sim time.

Nothing in the release notes about ''Multiplayer Enhanced' features?

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 83 19.4%
  • €151-500

Votes: 119 27.8%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 70 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 36 8.4%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 42 9.8%
  • €3001-5000