AMS 2 | New Previews Revealed: Lots Of Cars Heading To The Simulation

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have dropped a very nice couple of Twitter messages this evening, showing off some interesting content making its way to the simulation.
  • BMW M3 E30, Lotus 23, Mini Cooper 1965 confirmed.
  • Kart track updates in development.
  • Further content to be revealed.

Well, these are a nice surprise! Ahead of the usual end of month roadmap posting, Reiza Studios have revealed a bunch of new content is due to make its way into the simulation in the very near future - with the promise of yet more to come as part of the next build update.

Yes you've seen it right, the historic collection of cars is set to be expanded yet further with the inclusion of machinery from BMW, Lotus and Mini previewed within the tweet, potentially forming part of the upcoming touring car pack DLC that has previously been revealed by the studio.

As well as goodness from the world of old school racers, Reiza have also confirmed two of their kart venues will be heading into AMS 2 very soon, with work currently underway to bring the Buskerud and Speedland to the sim in the very near future, previews of which you can see below:

Sounds like a good month ahead for Automobilista 2 fans!

Automobilista 2 is available now, exclusively on PC.

Got questions? Have answers? Want to chat about AMS 2 and don't know where to go? Worry not my friend, we have just the place for you! The Automobilista 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment welcomes you with open arms - come say hello!

AMS 2 Footer.jpg

Hodge podge formula that was fine 10 years ago does not scale as demand for simulation quality increases, you can't go wide and deep at the same time esp. with typical small size sim studios.
Focused quality content is a new reality, not something that "died" years ago.
Starting brand new sim to just make another kitchen sink of content is not going to make people switch over from their favorite ones, as they already have it there, doesn't matter how good and hard working you are, the quality of such variety inevitably will be all over the place, and simulation relatively shallow.
I totally disagree. AMS1 has already shown that Reiza can do high-quality and deep simulation. "Hodge podge" is in
in Project CARS 1/2/3, AC. In AMS2 we have mostly real series. Some of them are specific to Brazil and South America. But at the same time, these series are quite interesting for all. If Reiza continues to expand its content without losing quality, then why not? Why not to try your hand at different disciplines? And I am love racing 70's-90's :)

Last edited:
Reiza, if you're listening, I still think it'd be unique and cool to see somebody build out geographically focused series like Brazilian Stockcars, Scandinavian Touring Cars, Japanese Super GT, Australian Super Cars, etc. All rules, flags, grids, local tracks, local weather, all that. Make one series per DLC. I think I would actually buy into that.

And you guys already seem to have the experience, given your Brazilian Stockcars.
I think that's a very cool idea. Let's hope Kunos doesn't (or does?) beat Reiza to it.

Last edited:
Getting lost, what is the primarily focus of AMS2 content. In other words, game identity.
Is it Brazilian, vintage, GT3/GT4, karting, or just jack of all trades, master of none, like PCars2.

The game isn´t cheap, so must have many content as possible. AMS2 is the best sim racing because delieves both, quality and content\variety. Since AMS1, Reiza follow this way, so theres no reason to you get lost. I think nowadays a racing game with a poor variety not worth it.

Reiza, if you're listening, I still think it'd be unique and cool to see somebody build out geographically focused series like Brazilian Stockcars, Scandinavian Touring Cars, Japanese Super GT, Australian Super Cars, etc. All rules, flags, grids, local tracks, local weather, all that. Make one series per DLC. I think I would actually buy into that.

And you guys already seem to have the experience, given your Brazilian Stockcars.

TCR South America would be a great addition! Starts next year!

26 cars, many different manufacturers 4 countries and 8 tracks!! (Brasil 3, Argentina 3, Chile 1 ,Uruguay 1)

Hodge podge formula that was fine 10 years ago does not scale as demand for simulation quality increases, you can't go wide and deep at the same time esp. with typical small size sim studios.
Starting brand new sim to just make another kitchen sink of content is not going to make people switch over from their favorite ones, as they already have it there, doesn't matter how good and hard working you are, the quality of such variety inevitably will be all over the place, and simulation relatively shallow.
Wide and deep at the same time is exactly why AMS (1) is recognized as such a robust and essential sim for any serious sim racer. And yes, this is achieved despite Reiza being a small and independent studio. AMS 2 is on its way to being the same, but it will take time to assemble and massage all the pieces missing or poorly implemented from the vastly more popular SMS titles.

Besides ACC, can you list all the serious sim titles belonging to this new reality? Thanks in advance!

I NEED historic touring cars in modern sim. TBH I just want any touring cars in modern sim (I can't get used to raceroom, something about it just feels wrong to me). I would love to see modern take on GT Legends, one that would focus EVEN MORE on touring cars, bringing us oddities from Africa like BMW 7 series racecar with M1 derived engine or Opel Kadett Super Boss.

As a developer I guess you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Focus on one series, and there's not enough content, try and cater for many series, and it's not a deep enough sim supposedly.
Reiza already covers Brazilian motorsport at a deep level. Codies have the F1 licence, Kunos have GT3/4s, Sector 3 DTM, S397 Formula E, so what are Reiza supposed to nail their flag to? BTCC has been impossible to licence, any other individual series probably wouldn't have enough appeal to be commercially viable. Motorsport isn't exactly in a golden age of mass appeal.

Judging by adoption rate of both, "serious simmers" is a dying breed.
As a developer I guess you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Focus on one series, and there's not enough content, try and cater for many series, and it's not a deep enough sim supposedly
It’s like when the unstoppable force of wishes meets the immovable object of reality.
I remember being struck by how niche our hobby is when I saw that cooking simulater had more than triple the average players than all our sims combined on Steam.
Fortunately nowadays there are enough different racing games to cater for all tastes and absolutely no need to dictate how others enjoy and have fun.

It’s like when the unstoppable force of wishes meets the immovable object of reality.
I remember being struck by how niche our hobby is when I saw that cooking simulater had more than triple the average players than all our sims combined on Steam.
Fortunately nowadays there are enough different racing games to cater for all tastes and absolutely no need to dictate how others enjoy and have fun.

This is probably the most accurate description of sim racing and its fans. Ever.

As a developer I guess you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Focus on one series, and there's not enough content, try and cater for many series, and it's not a deep enough sim supposedly.
Reiza already covers Brazilian motorsport at a deep level. Codies have the F1 licence, Kunos have GT3/4s, Sector 3 DTM, S397 Formula E, so what are Reiza supposed to nail their flag to? BTCC has been impossible to licence, any other individual series probably wouldn't have enough appeal to be commercially viable. Motorsport isn't exactly in a golden age of mass appeal.

To me, it doesn't need to be actual licenced series, but added depth to categories. Minis and Lotus 23s never raced alone, so having grids of those cars with no contemporaries just feels very immersion breaking.

I really enjoyed the Project CARS LMP grid because they had a couple of Toyotas, a couple of Audis and the rest were all the 'privateer' cars - much like Reiza's excellent Formula Retro field with Lotus and Brabhams. But their Group 6 grid was a lot less immersive to me, when it was made up of 8 Porsche 936s and 12 Renault A442s. I understand it won't bother everyone, but that's just me.

That said, I'm certainly not 'kicking off' because we know they have plenty more in the pipeline and are working as hard as they can do; let's at least see what their dev blog brings this week and what's planned for the rest of the classic touring set.

I do hope they expand some of these 'free' classes with paid DLC further down the line though. Compared to adding street cars, off road content and possibly trying to squeeze in oval content in the US pack, adding depth and variety to existing classes would be my personal preference.

In regards to your point that developers are "damned if you do and damned if you don't." you're spot on though - PCARS, much like the DIRT games by Codemasters, felt like they needed to have a super wide audience, because screenshots = sales. Showing 3 rally cars in 3 countries maybe isn't as effective in sales as showing 1 stadium truck, 1 rally car and 1 RX car. Fortunately, the advent of DLC makes 'tall rather than wide' a more valid strategy for some games than it used to be.

(Side note, but as ever, Codemasters appear to be paying catch up in this regard but have finally split Dirt/Dirt Rally into different games for different audiences!)

Last edited:
Automobilista grew out of Copa Petrobras des Marcas and Game Stock Car, which were basically rFactor 1 full conversion mods to model the Brazilian touring car and stock car series, respectively. Those were pretty deep simulations of specific series. Since then, they've added a lot of F1 content, historic Brazilian racing content, Brazilian prototypes, plus quirky racing series that don't show up much in other sims. It's actually an incredibly deep dive into Brazilian motorsports, it's just that most Euro-US-centric people don't care because it's not "GT3s at Spa".

Personally, I'm happy for sims to focus on different things. If I want to drive a Ferrari 488 GT3 at Monza, I'll just fire up AC. I don't need AMS2 to do that. I'll fire up AMS2 because I want to drive MCR 2000s at Cadwell Park, or Chevy Opalas at Ibarra, or Fuscas at Taruma, or Stock Cars at Velo Citta. Those are all compelling experiences that no other sim offers. It's cool to have the M3 because it exists in both AC and R3E and it will be interesting to compare the different approaches to simulation of the same car. The Mini should provide for great racing (as it does in AC) so really looking forward to that as well. As long as we get a full grid of liveries, a car that's fun and engaging to drive and race with, and AI/multiplayer that works well, the rest is not essential.

Personally, I'm happy for sims to focus on different things. If I want to drive a Ferrari 488 GT3 at Monza, I'll just fire up AC. I don't need AMS2 to do that. I'll fire up AMS2 because I want to drive MCR 2000s at Cadwell Park, or Chevy Opalas at Ibarra, or Fuscas at Taruma, or Stock Cars at Velo Citta.
Exactly sir, If I want to race Clio Cup cars at Knockhill I use pCars2, and so on. That's why GTR2, GTL and Race 07 remain on my HD along with the more modern games because I still enjoy them and as far as I'm concerned that's my main reason for being in this hobby.

I think you are 100% (if not more) wrong. In my opinion and what i read in other boards or websites, MANY simracers would love to have a COMPLETE sim of a racing series. Just have a look what is streamed on Twitch or what games do they drive in e-sports? Correct, ACC and F2019(20). Sims with complete content, all teams, all tracks, real data. The only thing thats missing is a developer with BALLS to get the chance and jump in a gap and bring some historic motorsport. Many off us simracers are of older age, the "old white man" with money in their pockets. We've seen the early 90's F1 or LeMans LIVE on TV or on track. We loved the IMSA or the CAN-AM or tried to get our private Ford Capri to 400HP with an illegal Gr5 exhaust. We love motorsport with all it's power and glory, without e-bullsh*t or hybrid systems, ABS, TC, launch control and all the other bogus. Why does'nt a developer at least try to check out the market, try to start a crowdfunding campain or try to get a license? And if they really can purchase a license for only a lot of money, why not just make the sim a bit more expensive? We spend hundreds of € every year for new hardware, dlc's other stuff, I would love to spend my money on a decent historic sim.
Or why not just bring something old in a new dress? So many games get a HD remake in this moment, we have TONS of old stuff that just needs "to be polished". Talking about Nascar Racing 2003, Toca2 or Infogrames LeMans 24h game. Why not try something like that.
You know, I've spend almost 100€ for AMS2 and I am so disappointed. I was really hoping to get some decent historic stuff, something complete, 1975 F1 or GroupC or something like that. But basically AMS2 is PCARS2 with AMS content, thats it. No atmosphere on track, more bugs as PCARS2 ever had, unlicensed content and nothing complete. And thats not enough in 2020.

Automobilista grew out of Copa Petrobras des Marcas and Game Stock Car, which were basically rFactor 1 full conversion mods to model the Brazilian touring car and stock car series, respectively. Those were pretty deep simulations of specific series. Since then, they've added a lot of F1 content, historic Brazilian racing content, Brazilian prototypes, plus quirky racing series that don't show up much in other sims. It's actually an incredibly deep dive into Brazilian motorsports, it's just that most Euro-US-centric people don't care because it's not "GT3s at Spa".

Personally, I'm happy for sims to focus on different things. If I want to drive a Ferrari 488 GT3 at Monza, I'll just fire up AC. I don't need AMS2 to do that. I'll fire up AMS2 because I want to drive MCR 2000s at Cadwell Park, or Chevy Opalas at Ibarra, or Fuscas at Taruma, or Stock Cars at Velo Citta. Those are all compelling experiences that no other sim offers. It's cool to have the M3 because it exists in both AC and R3E and it will be interesting to compare the different approaches to simulation of the same car. The Mini should provide for great racing (as it does in AC) so really looking forward to that as well. As long as we get a full grid of liveries, a car that's fun and engaging to drive and race with, and AI/multiplayer that works well, the rest is not essential.
Yes....but we do need some GT3/GT4 to complete the Imperio Endurance Brasil line up. After all, who doesn't want to drive the 911GT3 or 935 from Team Stuttgart Motorsport ;-)

Cooking simulator?
Humanity is lost...

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes