AMS 2 | New Previews Revealed: Lots Of Cars Heading To The Simulation

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have dropped a very nice couple of Twitter messages this evening, showing off some interesting content making its way to the simulation.
  • BMW M3 E30, Lotus 23, Mini Cooper 1965 confirmed.
  • Kart track updates in development.
  • Further content to be revealed.

Well, these are a nice surprise! Ahead of the usual end of month roadmap posting, Reiza Studios have revealed a bunch of new content is due to make its way into the simulation in the very near future - with the promise of yet more to come as part of the next build update.

Yes you've seen it right, the historic collection of cars is set to be expanded yet further with the inclusion of machinery from BMW, Lotus and Mini previewed within the tweet, potentially forming part of the upcoming touring car pack DLC that has previously been revealed by the studio.

As well as goodness from the world of old school racers, Reiza have also confirmed two of their kart venues will be heading into AMS 2 very soon, with work currently underway to bring the Buskerud and Speedland to the sim in the very near future, previews of which you can see below:

Sounds like a good month ahead for Automobilista 2 fans!

Automobilista 2 is available now, exclusively on PC.

Got questions? Have answers? Want to chat about AMS 2 and don't know where to go? Worry not my friend, we have just the place for you! The Automobilista 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment welcomes you with open arms - come say hello!

AMS 2 Footer.jpg

More cars... I can't get excited. Time for my monthly rant about there being no reason for offline racers to stick to this game. For someone like me, with little time (to race online regularly) but still wanting to feel like accomplishing something in a game, this is sadly ending up in a pile of unused sims.

Were the existing cars good or not? Could something have been built up around them? Instead we get MORE cars where the only real motivation is to race them online in lobbies. Well, everyone's going to have a different favorite car, so all those online racers are going to different lobbies, and instead of having 20 cars in an 80's F1 lobby, we'll have 5 in the Mini lobby, 5 in F1, 5 in karts, 5 in BMWs? This content dump does nothing for offline racers and dilutes the experience for online racers. Sure, there's a better chance that you find a car closer to your favorite, but what to do with it? Pound around for 3-5 laps on your favorite tracks, then shelve it until the next DLC batch comes around.

My opinion (which nobody ever asked for) is that the community might benefit from a game with a real career mode. My most played games have been PC1, PC2, and F12018, and I still play 2018 and Nascar Heat 4 (gasp) because of the engaging career modes and feeling of progression. I know AMS2 will probably get a championship editor before year end, like AMS1, but if that's all we get, I will likely not be a backer of AMS3.

Anybody else feel this way?

Could something have been built up around them? Instead we get MORE cars where the only real motivation is to race them online in lobbies.

I mean one of the commonest complaints I see is 'no-one is playing online', so I'm not sure that's the only motivation.

I'm pretty much offline-only these days, I've got a young kid so it's rare I can do anything that doesn't have a pause button, and to me depth of content is one of the things missing, so these updates are important to me. Although I'll add the key word there, 'depth' is a bit of a personal worry.

My opinion (which nobody ever asked for) is that the community might benefit from a game with a real career mode. My most played games have been PC1, PC2, and F12018, and I still play 2018 and Nascar Heat 4 (gasp) because of the engaging career modes and feeling of progression. I know AMS2 will probably get a championship editor before year end, like AMS1, but if that's all we get, I will likely not be a backer of AMS3.

I do sort of agree, but I've never found a compelling career mode in a racing game. For me, this would mean:

- AI drivers/teams that evolve abilities, change teams (I understand the recent F1 games do this)
- An experience that doesn't just reward winning, but makes fighting over 10th place fun

The closest thing I've found to an enjoyable career mode is Dirt Rally (2), where the calendar changes each season and the weather isn't pre-programmed. It's very limited, but in several other games I can take care of this myself.

- In Raceroom, I can build a grid for myself in the UI and there are many interesting circuits
- In Assetto Corsa with Content Manager, I can curate the skills, entry list and calendar
- In GTR2 and rFactor I was able to customise to my heart's extent

With AMS2, I accept that's not going to be the case that my dream career mode is going to happen. My hope is that the game continues to be developed and allows some customisation as time goes on. However, I also accept that Reiza has to keep appealing to people to make sales, and that means cars and tracks need to keep being made, many of them sold as DLC. This is the price of the years of ongoing support.

For now, I'm enjoying racing the historic F1s on historic circuits - the niche this game is filling to me is "historic racing" with one-off races, and adding Group C, 90s GTs and 60s/70s touring/sports cars will definitely persuade me to part with a few pennies to race some of the excellent historical circuits they've been making. And hey, if the game becomes more than that, lucky me, I'll happily buy more from them.

Last edited:
Well, everyone's going to have a different favorite car, so all those online racers are going to different lobbies, and instead of having 20 cars in an 80's F1 lobby, we'll have 5 in the Mini lobby, 5 in F1, 5 in karts, 5 in BMWs?

Perhaps that tells you that F1 (or GT3 or GTE) isn't as universally popular as you assume it to be?

As for the offline player, more content is always good. Content artists are not the same people as coders and physics developers, so more content is not slowing down game development or bug fixes.

More cars... I can't get excited. Time for my monthly rant about there being no reason for offline racers to stick to this game. For someone like me, with little time (to race online regularly) but still wanting to feel like accomplishing something in a game, this is sadly ending up in a pile of unused sims.

Were the existing cars good or not? Could something have been built up around them? Instead we get MORE cars where the only real motivation is to race them online in lobbies. Well, everyone's going to have a different favorite car, so all those online racers are going to different lobbies, and instead of having 20 cars in an 80's F1 lobby, we'll have 5 in the Mini lobby, 5 in F1, 5 in karts, 5 in BMWs? This content dump does nothing for offline racers and dilutes the experience for online racers. Sure, there's a better chance that you find a car closer to your favorite, but what to do with it? Pound around for 3-5 laps on your favorite tracks, then shelve it until the next DLC batch comes around.

I feel this is an underrepresented POV in the louder section of simracing. I struggle to simply run single races end on end. It seems like pointless races that have no impact. You run the race, say that was fun, but at the end of the day, it is just an isolated race with no bearing on anything else. No championship to chase, how many points you score don't matter, and if you DNF there is no downside for me other than the race being cut short.

At the minimum I'm anticipating the championship mode. A reason to fight tooth and nail for that 6th-10th place, knowing that some points is better than none. The pressure to not bin it when running well, trying not to put yourself in a hole. Knowing that the car in front is not just another car on track, but the person you are chasing in points, and every car you can put between him and you is of utmost importance.

That to me, is racing. The art of pushing the limits while trying not to throw it all away, and the struggle of clawing for everything you can get.

Single races against random drivers just don't do it for me. There has to be purpose, a reason to get invested in the cars and drivers.

I don't get the idea that the "world building" stuff is "child play." If anything, it makes things seem alive, like you are at the actual event,a part of the bigger world, not just running a random race that you picked that day, but an event of importance.

I'm not just looking to simulate the driving of a real life car, but the real life experience of being a driver at the circuit. That is the final 10% immersion that is missing for me.

Most people see offline racing as boring, because most sims give you little to do on that front other than take X car to Y track. To truly have an immersive experiance, it is up to you to build the grids, set the schedules, create spreadsheets, fine tune the tracks/cars/AI, create custom monetary or progression systems and build up an enticing offline experience from scratch.

Most people but the most dedicated simply don't have the time to go through this process, but it is a key part of making offline more than just "racing against AI"

Last edited:
Most people see offline racing as boring, because most sims give you little to do on that front other than take X car to Y track. To truly have an immersive experiance, it is up to you to build the grids, set the schedules, create spreadsheets, fine tune the tracks/cars/AI, create custom monetary or progression systems and build up an enticing offline experience from scratch.

Most people but the most dedicated simply don't have the time to go through this process, but it is a key part of making offline more than just "racing against AI"

I'm with you on that, I'm happy to put the work in to doing the modding and editing whatever files, keeping track of the results in a spreadsheet and building my own 'world', but when the game restricts you from doing so much as assigning a specific driver to a specific car, let alone naming them or giving them skill ratings, it's really frustrating to me.

Pretty sure it seems a lot of gamers are just using the no identity thing as an excuse...
I think that's to sweeping a generalisation. Yes a lot of motorsports have in the past been eurocentric. But games like Gran Turismo, Forza, Toca World Tour plus better TV coverage introduced many to a wider range of cars and tracks. Modders in F1C the rF1 added other series and I remember that the people who first got into GSC loved the new Brazilian circuits and cars. So much so that like myself they've followed Reiza from that to AMS2.
I would say that with very few exceptions the sim racing community is very inclusive when it comes to race. :)
Now physics or FFB are a different matter, that's where your "total war" analogy fits. :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea