Cars WIP - 911 by Singer

Lot of good ref on their instagram, i browse there sometimes :)
to each car its own details... the selection of pattern for the leather gives me a hard time deciding on the correct way to map it. I like the single stripe you can find in some versions... means a different texture for that stripe and the rest tilable. Will find a way :)

i spent couple hours last week fixing rims width, bumper front/rear (nobody will notice...) spoiler size, basic details on the engine bay and spoiler system
not much work besides that!

Absolutely stunning. The Fuchs wheels look absolutely perfect and angle of the side mirrors look spot on. :thumbsup:

It's never "too much" of quality shots for inspiration .. :coffee:
This one is (think) good reference for bluring rims texture. It's more or less, like you did for now .. (at photo - speed of bluring is little bit higher)
:ninja:
singer2-1538663045.jpg

Wow, I just googled a 964 mod for AC and landed here. And what is there to say...The 964 was my dad's car when I was young and ever snce I've known about singer it became one of the most legendary cars for me. Please, keep up the good work and take every time you need to bring the most beautiful car ever to Assetto. Your work is already amazing, if I can ask you just a little thing (and I hope some will agree too), is to not make the interior as bareback as we can see on some pics, with recaro seats or so. If you could, and want of course, keep the rustic and nostalgic aspect that we see in the singers I would be so grateful. What I mean by that is, not make this car's interior a racecar's one, but a true piece of art that is fierceful enough to go on track while keeping its beauty.
Thanks again to everyone contributing to this mod for the time you take to put this beauty of a car in AC !

is to not make the interior as bareback as we can see on some pics, with recaro seats or so
if you go back in the few pages, you'll see the interior is already done in 3D ;)

Remember to backup your data dude!!! :D
it's stored in 3 different locations, guarded 24/24 by 3 teams that don't speak the language

in the meantime...
oil cap done... messy to keep the reflect clean
singer_petrol.JPG

and the unwrap has started...
singer_unwrap.PNG

(you can discreetly see the 283.000 tris for int+ext, which seems fair!)
that's an hour work :| and it's not the cleanest, but hey on the bright side... i didn't swear that much.

It's funny the other modders don't show that phase much, it's rather a before/after with AO.
where for me that's the hardest bit of the whole process, and that bumper alone... and i want to punch someone in the face.
Am i bad, am i doing something wrong, is there magic tools i don't know about aaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited:
It's funny the other modders don't show that phase much, it's rather a before/after with AO.
where for me that's the hardest bit of the whole process, and that bumper alone... and i want to punch someone in the face.
Am i bad, am i doing something wrong, is there magic tools i don't know about aaaaaaaaaaa
You're doing great!
Posting detailed progress is a nice idea, but often it gets in the way of making quick progress, I think. At least, for me. Sometimes I get into the zone so deep, that I forget to take screenshots of the progress, hehe. :)

Keep it up!

for me UV-mapping is something I dive into, only to reemerge some hours later with a headache and a slight slur in my speech :cautious: No time to make screenshots

I just don't unwrap parts separately. I do each material all at once when the model's done so the scale's all the same. The pre-processing I do is marking texture seams anywhere I know will be an issue.

Swear jar only half full later

the body texture won't be square to kunos standart, not that it matters much
and i hope the stitch on the rear arch will be good enough!
there are a few wobbly areas, the "relax" tool is always making a mess in area you are not watching! But i figured since it's not a race car... skins should be rather simple
singer-vehicle-design-mulholland-drive-car.jpg
:rolleyes:

Overall pretty happy with it
Much more tricky than the Caterham !!
singer_unwrap2.PNG

singer_unwrap3.PNG

singer_unwrap4.PNG

That looks pretty good! who cares if it's not straight, honestly, whoever still paints skins in 2D nowadays is crazy! Using the 3D mode in Photoshop is the way to go, and it doesn't care how UV's are layed out as long as they keep the proper ratio.

That looks pretty good! who cares if it's not straight, honestly, whoever still paints skins in 2D nowadays is crazy! Using the 3D mode in Photoshop is the way to go, and it doesn't care how UV's are layed out as long as they keep the proper ratio.

I still disagree with this. Maybe I'm just thick, but I find the PS 3D painting to be crap at best, as far as the final output is concerned. I have to go over everything with the pen tool on the flat 2D to get anything half decent. The only thing on a final skin I leave as the straight 3D painted stuff is logos, and that's only because redrawing them with the pen tool is too tedious a job for me.

Also, how to do accurately do the other side of the car?

Like I said, I'm probably just thick but I honestly can't wrap my head around the finer points and I can't find anything online about how to go about this stuff. I guess my Google-fu is also weak.

I still disagree with this. Maybe I'm just thick, but I find the PS 3D painting to be crap at best, as far as the final output is concerned. I have to go over everything with the pen tool on the flat 2D to get anything half decent. The only thing on a final skin I leave as the straight 3D painted stuff is logos, and that's only because redrawing them with the pen tool is too tedious a job for me.

Also, how to do accurately do the other side of the car?

Like I said, I'm probably just thick but I honestly can't wrap my head around the finer points and I can't find anything online about how to go about this stuff. I guess my Google-fu is also weak.
a combo of both is good i guess
("both is good" gif meme thing goes here)
i find myself doing the complicated skins inside 3dsmax so you know... :D

To bake the AO of the opening parts, do you do with the elements a little offset to let the light through, or did you animate an extra part with the shadow in closed position ?

To bake the AO of the opening parts, do you do with the elements a little offset to let the light through, or did you animate an extra part with the shadow in closed position ?

I bake one with all the components (closed doors), and a separate one for the door sills (with the doors moved away from the body), then mix both in photoshop.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back