Cars WIP - 911 by Singer

Really nice work! I've always wanted a Singer Porsche in AC.
Keep it up!
no pressure :D

135.000 triangles interior
155.000 triangles exterior
so almost within official budget !

Rims & lights baked.
lights not 100% happy with it. Like Stereo said... that transparency color isn't dealt with properly!
singer_rim.JPG
singer lights.JPG
singer lights2.JPG

If I may add a little thought since wheels are the current focus, the deepness of their inner dish needs to be increased a bit at the front and a bit more at the back to reflect real life.

03-singer-911-point-loma-1100x732.jpg

10-singer-911-mexico2-1100x732.jpg

Oh and all "chrome" elements around the car (headlights, turn lights and taillights, mirrors, windshield, side windows) all have a frosted finish. Dickinson says in a clip somewhere, joking about it, that the company doing it said they could even frost an apple.

11-singer-911-singapore-1100x732.jpg

Last edited:
Another thing i noticed is that the hood of the 3d model seems to resemble more that of the '72 2.4. Lip is a bit thicker than the Singer, it curves down more abruptly, and the shape of the light elements to the sides follows it, giving it out (Singer front/rear fenders, hood and bumpers are all custom).

singer lights.JPG

979439.jpg

10-singer-911-singapore-1100x732.jpg

16-singer-911-mexico2-1100x732.jpg

I actually think the real life hood & front bumper stick out less in real life compared to the 3d model (which seems to resemble the '72 911 again), hood seems to be shorter. And this allowed Singer to curve down its lip earlier, more graciously. The whole front and back sections above and below the protruding part of the bumper seem to flow into each other better, flush. Pure, perfect obsession of making the greatest car ever even better.

__custom_showroom_1554491603a.jpg

09-singer-911-rowayton-1100x732a.jpg

Attachments

• 09-singer-911-rowayton-1100x732.jpg
    09-singer-911-rowayton-1100x732.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 547
  • __custom_showroom_1554491603.jpg
    __custom_showroom_1554491603.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 292
thanks for all this.

i'm not sure i see the difference on the bonnet, i spent some time staring at it, back and forth :p but, it's not obvious, at least from this pictures.
Sounds like i'll have to check with some photo-matching for comparison !!
good thing i didn't start unwrapping the body yet

Szymon did tell me, after watching his model finished, compared to some photos, he thoughts some shape could be improved. I jumped right ahead of cleaning the mesh without even looking at mistakes, impatient again.. :whistling:

If I may add a little thought since wheels are the current focus, the deepness of their inner dish needs to be increased a bit at the front and a bit more at the back to reflect real life.

Oh and all "chrome" elements around the car (headlights, turn lights and taillights, mirrors, windshield, side windows) all have a frosted finish. Dickinson says in a clip somewhere, joking about it, that the company doing it said they could even frost an apple.

Singer refers to that finish as "milky nickel". Its a great look although I wonder if that hue is replicable in AC

ah the joy of camera match.
It's hard to get something good in all aspects.
So either my matching isn't perfect
or the model is a little off.

I'll vote for both :)
two screens below, one i moved to have exact rear arch aligned, the other the front.
Both of them you can see the beginning of the bonnet looks a tad shorter in the photo
singer_match1.JPG

singer_match2.JPG

i failed to match the rear on 2 photos, it's a little capricious and i didn't spend more time yet

other than that, it's looking good to me
Either way, i can fix the front (and rear if it needs) but deeper change would just be a pain to do. Besides, i do too much revisions at work due to architects, so yeah. F*ck that :D

Ben, there's a few shots you can use in this article, I think:
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/classic/heres-how-singer-restores-and-beautifies-porsche-911

And I've noticed a few points at the back these last few days (probably looking at this car way too much):

1. Rear wheel arches seem flatter at the top irl when seen from the back (and dare I say wider?) whereas on the 3d model they have a more rounded shape overall (see reflections)
2. Trunk lid is probably flatter too (noticeable as a more visible hump on the 3d model when seen from the side)
3. Those bumper things probably dip down a bit more irl, when seen from the side, whereas on the 3d model they seem to continue the trunk lid line more

s08-singer-911-milwaukee-1100x732.jpg

Copy-of-LALiveblog_141-L.jpg

ss08-singer-911-milwaukee-1100x732.jpg

Thanks for everything.

Attachments

• 111-singer-911-atlanta-1100x732.jpg
    111-singer-911-atlanta-1100x732.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 523
  • 2018-Singer-Porsche-911-DLS-Williams-side.jpg
    2018-Singer-Porsche-911-DLS-Williams-side.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 691
  • 11.png
    11.png
    677.7 KB · Views: 406
spent more time on photomatch
quick work on HDRI reflect to get the line of reflection (most Singer pictures are taken on La Canyons :p so lot of mountains around, hence different height on reflect, my hdri being pretty flat, but still can understand the curvature)

The .2 on your drawing, really depends on pictures (and reflection), but yeah, following the line of the spoiler, the 3D is probably a little too roundish

i used ilja side by side tool on the links below
upload_2019-4-27_13-56-11.png

Front : https://acstuff.ru/u/comparison/8zB
Rear : https://acstuff.ru/u/comparison/Pe6
Side : https://acstuff.ru/u/comparison/4qL (side has a wrong field of view, but you get the idea)

made little notes to keep track of needed changes
singer_rear_pic_comments.jpg singer_front_3d_comments.jpg

and out of curiosity, the singer model going around the internet side by side
https://acstuff.ru/u/comparison/V3e

good old times when nobody cared about the inaccuracy of my little caterham :D
i was actually the one sending comments on the first Project Cars forum, so the modeler could fix his model :whistling:

Last edited:
spent more time on photomatch
quick work on HDRI reflect to get the line of reflection (most Singer pictures are taken on La Canyons :p so lot of mountains around, hence different height on reflect, my hdri being pretty flat, but still can understand the curvature)

The .2 on your drawing, really depends on pictures (and reflection), but yeah, following the line of the spoiler, the 3D is probably a little too roundish

i used ilja side by side tool on the links below
View attachment 303248

Front : https://acstuff.ru/u/comparison/8zB
Rear : https://acstuff.ru/u/comparison/Pe6
Side : https://acstuff.ru/u/comparison/4qL (side has a wrong field of view, but you get the idea)

made little notes to keep track of needed changes
View attachment 303257 View attachment 303258

and out of curiosity, the singer model going around the internet side by side
https://acstuff.ru/u/comparison/V3e

good old times when nobody cared about the inaccuracy of my little caterham :D
i was actually the one sending comments on the first Project Cars forum, so the modeler could fix his model :whistling:

Honestly, the model is pretty decent, even with it's small flaws that most people won't even notice. You're doing a very meticulous job by adjusting these small imperfections, but really, there's no need to waste too much time on those.
Better move on to more important tasks towards finishing the mod, it should be an enjoyable experience and not a pain in the rear fixing every single small detail only one or two people will care about.

It's not about how many people notice its flaws, but about how good you want to make it. Considering that it took Singer 2 years to do the front fender, the 3d model does look incredibly good at this stage. :thumbsup:

Accuracy is important and if this was part of a Kunos DLC pack or a paid mod, I might have expectations of millimeter perfection. Given that this is a free, scratch made mod, I temper my expectations accordingly with a strong appreciation of the efforts of all involved in this project.

Heck, many of Kunos cars aren't millimeter perfect yet they still get the job done and aren't any less enjoyable to drive with less than perfect 3D modeling.

We all want the same thing, lets just not get so bogged down in the minutiae that we can't see the forest for the trees. :thumbsup:

...expectations of millimeter perfection
I think it safe to say that mm accuracy is only possible, if you have the actual CAD data as reference or a 3D scanner and the real car :D

I think the model is accurate enough. Besides, adjusting the mesh after the smooth modifiers etc have been applied, is rather tricky.

I think if there's anything super obvious apparent in multiple photomatches, and it can be changed in a reasonable timeframe, we should do it. Otherwise, you need to learn to let go at some point IMO.

However now would be the time to do it IMO before the car is too far in the project to require a rework of maps etc.

Wish to share some photos, which
Lot of good ref on their instagram, i browse there sometimes :)
to each car its own details... the selection of pattern for the leather gives me a hard time deciding on the correct way to map it. I like the single stripe you can find in some versions... means a different texture for that stripe and the rest tilable. Will find a way :)

In the meantime, i made (started?) the blur rims
singer_blur.gif

and some 4k renders for the fun of it ^^

i spent couple hours last week fixing rims width, bumper front/rear (nobody will notice...) spoiler size, basic details on the engine bay and spoiler system
not much work besides that!

Like Stereo said, the lights ingame have weird reflect, is that Sol related ?
and i took my chrome material from the caterham, pretty simple mat
singer lights.JPG singer lights ingame.JPG

here's a better idea of what's left (and why it's far from finished :p)
not in particular order
  • cleaning body mesh (95% done)
  • texturing lights (75% done)
  • engine/spoiler anim & details (50% done)
  • unwrapping & baking said body !! (no pain no gain)
  • try social life a bit
  • few details to model on the interior
  • model/texture all the screws ext & int
  • unwrapping & baking interior (pas de pain pas de gain
    france.png
    )
  • making maps for interior text, logos etc.
  • polishing interior materials, normals & co
  • not giving up
  • working and details dashboard (50% done)
  • working lights
  • rigging wipers
  • doing skins!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back