Max just does what he wants... and yes, he is talented. But if other drivers would drive as he does, there would be a crash with every encounter... I think sportsmanship and respect should be part of every sport.
Vettel dived in the hairpin Japan 2017 just like Max would do, and Max just closed the door (just watch the onboard footage.. he left no room, he lied post race).. He is unfair by nature.

Max drive his best race ever yesterday, maybe the rain race in brasil was beter.. but this is top sport. Have you seeing Arnoux vs Villeneuve in Dijon 1979. They hit eachother 7 times!! In very dangerous cars.... and tracks in that time. No penalty.

Every race in F1 is today a cry for penalty,s, :thumbsdown: even if they have a little contact. In this case it was Leclerc to push his tire in to Max. He do know better (Leclerc)to wait for the drs in the next corner. But I repeat myself. Pointless!

It was a great race, a masterclass from Max and well deserved win. Good for Honda and the team.

Max drive his best race ever yesterday, maybe the rain race in brasil was beter.. but this is top sport. Have you seeing Arnoux vs Villeneuve in Dijon 1979. They hit eachother 7 times!! In very dangerous cars.... and tracks in that time. No penalty.

Every race in F1 is today a cry for penalty,s, :thumbsdown: even if they have a little contact. In this case it was Leclerc to push his tire in to Max. He do know better (Leclerc)to wait for the drs in the next corner. But I repeat myself. Pointless!

It was a great race, a masterclass from Max and well deserved win. Good for Honda and the team.
I also find that Max drove a super race, and deserved to win. But.. just image Leclerc was the one attacking on the inside. Max would just drive into him, and there would be a crash. And that's a fact.

Have you seeing Arnoux vs Villeneuve in Dijon 1979.

The sportsmanship displayed by VER in this last race has no comparison to these gentlemen racers from a time long lost.

If VER was so much faster, and such a great talent, he had no need to drive LEC off track to secure the pass.

Within the current rules, it should have been a penalty and to keep following the rule book to the word, like in Canada, Max should have had the win taken away. However from a racer and fan perspective it shouldn't be penalised, I feel the F1 rule book is too strict and has a negative effect on the racing. Previous incidents of a similar nature did not get penalised however consistency has never been the FIA's strongest trait. If you want the racing to be entertaining and to have battles on the circuit then you have to accept these things are going to happen. Are they ideal? No, but with the way the series is currently I would happily accept moves like that every race if it meant we would get entertaining races. At the end of the day, that's racing, not everyone will like it but it can't always be avoided.

The sportsmanship displayed by VER in this last race has no comparison to these gentlemen racers from a time long lost.

If VER was so much faster, and such a great talent, he had no need to drive LEC off track to secure the pass.
I think it's important to remember this was a different time, the cars and tracks were different, the risk of death was still there at every race, they had to drive more carefully. Now days, safety standards are at a point where drivers are allowed to be more aggressive and still be safer than those 2 were back then. In a perfect world the racing would be like that but I would rather have people race like Max did yesterday than be scared to make the move in case there's a little bit of contact.

I think it's important to remember this was a different time, the cars and tracks were different, the risk of death was still there at every race, they had to drive more carefully.

I think you miss the point. Watch the video if you haven't seen it before.

Both drivers gave space to let the battle continue. While they raced over several laps, it was intense, but fair, neither driver wanted to win at any cost. They wanted to win on merit.

I would rather have people race like Max did yesterday than be scared to make the move in case there's a little bit of contact.

Again I think you miss the point. There is contact, and there is forcing another off the track.

I think you miss the point. Watch the video if you haven't seen it before.

Both drivers gave space to let the battle continue. While they raced over several laps, it was intense, but fair, neither driver wanted to win at any cost. They wanted to win on merit.

Again I think you miss the point. There is contact, and there is forcing another off the track.

Soon or later... Max has pased Leclerc because he was faster. There was a gap because charles go toooo wide. Its own fault, and now people crying.

Soon or later... Max has pased Leclerc because he was faster. There was a gap because charles go toooo wide. Its own fault, and now people crying.

And again, if VER had such and advantage, and LEC made a mistake and ran wide... why did VER need to push him off the track.

In many respect VER had a great drive, only to spoil the memory with a dirty pass to take the win.

Did he win... that's what the official results read.

And again, if VER had such and advantage, and LEC made a mistake and ran wide... why did VER need to push him off the track.

In many respect VER had a great drive, only to spoil the memory with a dirty pass to take the win.

Thats your opinion not mine this is endless... good evening :);)

A bit unfair IMO. However, Leclerc did try and turn into him despite Max not leaving a full car width. I watched the replay several times and it did appear, to me at least, Lec tried to turn into him. But I am sure side vis is not that great in those cars so maybe he anticipated Ver to give way. Even if he had I think Max would have taken victory anyway. Bottas on the other hand always looks like he's taking a sh** with his facial expression on the podium.

From a popular F1 fan site, mud in the water I know. But it is interesting.

"Before the race began rumours buzzed that Verstappen could leave Red Bull if he reached the summer break without winning a race, and Honda’s future in the sport beyond 2020 is unclear."

Politics rules the day... perhaps?

From a popular F1 fan site, mud in the water I know. But it is interesting.

"Before the race began rumours buzzed that Verstappen could leave Red Bull if he reached the summer break without winning a race, and Honda’s future in the sport beyond 2020 is unclear."

Politics rules the day... perhaps?

F1 is always politics.. like the whole world. @ I see on your profiel picture you are a fan of Villeneuve?

Firstly I admit I'm a fan of Verstappen. Secondly I'll admit I'm a fan of hard racing. Thirdly I'll admit I'm no fan of penalties for track action.

However, and this rubs me the wrong way to say it, but for me that move looked to be 100% foul, and worth a penalty based on recent decisions over the last 12 months or so.

Verstappen went up the inside, late but fair. Then made for a trajectory directly into the space of the Ferrari, with far longer than needed with the wheel held straight, directly planning to shut down any option for Leclerc to avoid contact and remain on the track, plus contact with Leclerc, leaving the Ferrari no option but to leave the circuit.

Ok so the investigation came back with no future action needed, so the discussion is purely academic now, but for me it was clear as the day is long that something should have been done about that, and the move wasn't fair.
Paul better ask some world titels back from schumacher aswell then, most off his titels where achieved this way IMO. just leave it to the drivers like the old days.
to get better exit traction make the turn aswide as posible

Paul better ask some world titels back from schumacher aswell then, most off his titels where achieved this way IMO. just leave it to the drivers like the old days.
to get better exit traction make the turn aswide as posible
Exactly one - 1994...

I think the main problem from yesterday is - even if you can't really compare both situations - that the stewards were so strict in Montreal and not this time.

But I loved the racing (because it was so exciting) and I'm happy that there was no penalty (I was cheering for Charles by the way, but he should celebrate his first win on the podium and not three hours later). The drivers should handle those situations by themself. And Charles will remember the next time, Max tries to pass him. "What goes around comes around"... ;)

Have you seeing Arnoux vs Villeneuve in Dijon 1979. They hit eachother 7 times!! In very dangerous cars.... and tracks in that time. No penalty..

Correct, put in todays rules and they wouldn't had a single penalty either.

They had contact, but managed to run side by side through numerous corners, giving enough space for bother drivers to stay on the track at all times. The one time Arnoux left the track it was due to having to high speed, but as he rejoined, he hit the kerb, and didn't "gain a lasting advantage" as the rules of today say.

Actually, that clip is an amazingly good example of what can happen when two drivers go at it, all out, while having enough respect to let each other stay on the track. That's what we saw on lap 68 yesterday, how it can be done. And we saw on lap 69 how to prove that the fight at Dijon is something we won't get until the FIA starts enforcing the rules again.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 403 69.2%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 255 43.8%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 273 46.9%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 121 20.8%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 161 27.7%
Back