Union Island

Tracks Union Island 0.9

Login or Register an account to download this content
Ok, I've finally had the time to properly play this track and I have to say I am loving the hell out of it. First of all I take back what I wrote before about the water, it actually looks phenomenal in VR, very natural, I love it. The views at night are incredible too. I use a convertible car so I can turn the sunroof (or whatever it is called) on/off for sun/rain and it's just fantastic.
Awesome work, thanks a lot for this. :)

As for the sea material...
i'm getting sad that people are prefering a bad game-looking animated sea, than something i created precisely to prevent that silly look
What can you do
Not gonna be joking with it. Instead I tried harder and for the people who are affected by the CSP bug I kinda found a temporary solution.
Code:
[SHADER_REPLACEMENT_...]
MATERIALS = ocean_b
SHADER = ksPerPixelNM_UVMult
RESOURCE_0 = txNormal
RESOURCE_TEXTURE_0 = the_sea_nrm80.dds
RESOURCE_1 = txDiffuse
RESOURCE_TEXTURE_1 = the_sea_mask.dds
KEY_0 = useDetail
VALUE_0 = 1
KEY_1 = normalMult
VALUE_1 = 500
KEY_2 = fresnelEXP
VALUE_2 = 16

This is not the animated [Material_Water] crap with the bad reflections. It has the transparency and bump of the original. But works with CSP and especially good with Sol's SkyFX.
Screenshot_f_porsche_gt2rs_mr_union_island_26-8-121-9-14-29.jpg

Screenshot_f_porsche_gt2rs_mr_union_island_26-8-121-9-15-45.jpg

@Ben O'Bro - if you give it a try maybe you can find the best values by tweaking the code and seeing the immediate effect. At the moment I am on
Code:
[SHADER_REPLACEMENT_...]
MATERIALS = ocean_b
RESOURCE_0 = txNormal
RESOURCE_1 = txDiffuse
KEY_0 = useDetail
VALUE_0 = 1
KEY_1 = normalMult
VALUE_1 = 80
KEY_2 = fresnelEXP
VALUE_2 = 18
KEY_3 = fresnelC
VALUE_3 = 0.3
KEY_4 = ksSpecular
VALUE_4 = 0.6
KEY_5 = ksSpecularEXP
VALUE_5 = 4
and almost the same trick for the ponds
Code:
[SHADER_REPLACEMENT_...]
MESHES = 1WATER_pond
IS_TRANSPARENT = 0
BLEND_MODE = OPAQUE

[SHADER_REPLACEMENT_...]
MATERIALS = water_pond
RESOURCE_0 = txNormal
RESOURCE_1 = txDiffuse
KEY_0 = useDetail
VALUE_0 = 1
KEY_1 = normalMult
VALUE_1 = 20
KEY_2 = fresnelEXP
VALUE_2 = 2
KEY_3 = fresnelC
VALUE_3 = 0.03
KEY_4 = ksSpecular
VALUE_4 = 0.8
KEY_5 = ksSpecularEXP
VALUE_5 = 4
KEY_6 = ksDiffuse
VALUE_6 = -1.5
KEY_7 = fresnelMaxLevel
VALUE_7 = 0.5
They change colors throughout the day so there's some for everybody.
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard04.jpg
Clipboard03.jpg

For the "West" race I found these hints to work with most well made cars
Code:
[HINT_0]
START=0.083
END=0.091
VALUE=0.59

[HINT_1]
START=0.434
END=0.45
VALUE=0.89

[HINT_2]
START=0.675
END=0.685
VALUE=0.69

[HINT_3]
START=0.785
END=0.795
VALUE=0.79

And to not come across all nerdy - a couple lights for the bar
Code:
[LIGHT_...]
COLOR=1, 1, 0.5, 10
DIFFUSE_CONCENTRATION=0.880
DIRECTION=-0.871757, -0.40401, 0.277157
FADE_AT=500.0
FADE_SMOOTH=200.0
POSITION=2228.15, 3.70127, 218.702
RANGE=15.00
RANGE_GRADIENT_OFFSET=0.100
SINGLE_FREQUENCY=0.000
SPECULAR_MULT=1.00
SPOT=30.00
SPOT_SHARPNESS=0.500
VOLUMETRIC_LIGHT=0
ACTIVE = 1
CONDITION = ALWAYS_ON

[LIGHT_...]
COLOR=1, 1, 0.5, 10
FADE_AT=500.0
FADE_SMOOTH=200.0
POSITION=2227.15, 3.93484, 218.045
RANGE=15.00
SINGLE_FREQUENCY=0.000
SPECULAR_MULT=1.00
SPOT=30.00
SPOT_SHARPNESS=0.500
VOLUMETRIC_LIGHT=0
ACTIVE = 1
CONDITION = ALWAYS_ON

I noticed your remark on the "phare_light_turn" light. To see the volumetric you need a moisture or particles in the air - "Mist", "Fog", "Slate" or "Smoke" weathers. And the "Extra FX" setting in CSP, of course. The cone volumetric fades fast with distance so you have to be near the base of the lighthouse.

PS. Have a look at this for a way to animate the sea shader as it is
Code:
[DYNAMIC_OBJECT_3]
PROBABILITY=100
MULT=1,1
FILE=bo_sea.kn5
POS_MODE=RANDOM
RND_POS_CENTER=0, 0, 0
RND_POS_RANGE=0,0,0
VEL_MODE=RANDOM
RND_VEL_BASE=1,0,2
RND_VEL_RANGE=0,0,0
If you separate the ponds from the model you have the 2 options: dynamic large square or rectangle with several repeated entries in models.ini or windmill animated large square centered at 0.0.0. Ponds don't need to be raised above the animated sea.Transparency takes care of the overlap but the larger pond flickers and needs to drop down a little. One small part of the road next to the small pond becomes flooded with clear water up to the door sills. This may be used as additional feature if you add a makeshift wooden bridge made from few crates. Or if Ilja is so kind to think of a way to have the soft water particles always active at spot predefined coordinates (or related to a code-specified mesh or RainFX always active on a mesh with parameters for wetness going to 100%) we can have the first for AC water splash.

Last edited:
Not gonna be joking with it. Instead I tried harder and for the people who are affected by the CSP bug I kinda found a temporary solution.
Code:
[SHADER_REPLACEMENT_...]
MATERIALS = ocean_b
RESOURCE_0 = txNormal
RESOURCE_1 = txDiffuse
KEY_0 = useDetail
VALUE_0 = 1
KEY_1 = normalMult
VALUE_1 = 500
KEY_2 = fresnelEXP
VALUE_2 = 16

This is not the animated [Material_Water] crap with the bad reflections. It has the transparency and bump of the original. But works with CSP and especially good with Sol's SkyFX.
View attachment 505498
View attachment 505499

@Ben O'Bro - if you give it a try maybe you can find the best values by tweaking the code and seeing the immediate effect. At the moment I am on
Code:
[SHADER_REPLACEMENT_...]
MATERIALS = ocean_b
RESOURCE_0 = txNormal
RESOURCE_1 = txDiffuse
KEY_0 = useDetail
VALUE_0 = 1
KEY_1 = normalMult
VALUE_1 = 80
KEY_2 = fresnelEXP
VALUE_2 = 18
KEY_3 = fresnelC
VALUE_3 = 0.3
KEY_4 = ksSpecular
VALUE_4 = 0.6
KEY_5 = ksSpecularEXP
VALUE_5 = 4
and almost the same trick for the ponds
Code:
[SHADER_REPLACEMENT_...]
MATERIALS = water_pond
RESOURCE_0 = txNormal
RESOURCE_1 = txDiffuse
KEY_0 = useDetail
VALUE_0 = 1
KEY_1 = normalMult
VALUE_1 = 20
KEY_2 = fresnelEXP
VALUE_2 = 2
KEY_3 = fresnelC
VALUE_3 = 0.03
KEY_4 = ksSpecular
VALUE_4 = 0.8
KEY_5 = ksSpecularEXP
VALUE_5 = 4
KEY_6 = ksDiffuse
VALUE_6 = -1.5
KEY_7 = fresnelMaxLevel
VALUE_7 = 0.5
It changes colors throughout the day so there's some for everybody.

For the "West" race I found these hints to work with most well made cars
Code:
[HINT_0]
START=0.083
END=0.091
VALUE=0.59

[HINT_1]
START=0.434
END=0.45
VALUE=0.89

[HINT_2]
START=0.675
END=0.685
VALUE=0.69

[HINT_3]
START=0.785
END=0.795
VALUE=0.79

And to not come across all nerdy - a couple lights for the bar
Code:
[LIGHT_...]
COLOR=1, 1, 0.5, 10
FADE_AT=500.0
FADE_SMOOTH=200.0
POSITION=2228.15, 3.70127, 218.702
RANGE=15.00
SINGLE_FREQUENCY=0.000
SPECULAR_MULT=1.00
SPOT=30.00
SPOT_SHARPNESS=0.500
VOLUMETRIC_LIGHT=0
ACTIVE = 1
CONDITION = ALWAYS_ON

[LIGHT_...]
COLOR=1, 1, 0.5, 10
FADE_AT=500.0
FADE_SMOOTH=200.0
POSITION=2227.15, 3.93484, 218.045
RANGE=15.00
SINGLE_FREQUENCY=0.000
SPECULAR_MULT=1.00
SPOT=30.00
SPOT_SHARPNESS=0.500
VOLUMETRIC_LIGHT=0
ACTIVE = 1
CONDITION = ALWAYS_ON

I noticed your remark on the "phare_light_turn" light. To see the volumetric you need a moisture or particles in the air - "Mist", "Fog", "Slate" or "Smoke" weathers. And the "Extra FX" setting in CSP, of course. The cone volumetric fades fast with distance so you have to be near the base of the lighthouse.

PS. Have a look at this for a way to animate the sea shader as it is
Code:
[DYNAMIC_OBJECT_3]
PROBABILITY=100
MULT=1,1
FILE=bo_sea.kn5
POS_MODE=RANDOM
RND_POS_CENTER=0, 0, 0
RND_POS_RANGE=0,0,0
VEL_MODE=RANDOM
RND_VEL_BASE=1,0,2
RND_VEL_RANGE=0,0,0
If you separate the ponds from the model you have the 2 options: dynamic large square or rectangle with several repeated entries in models.ini or windmill animated large square centered at 0.0.0. Ponds don't need to be raised above the animated sea.Transparency takes care of the overlap but the larger pond flickers and needs to drop down a little. One small part of the road next to the small pond becomes flooded with clear water up to the door sills. This may be used as additional feature if you add a makeshift wooden bridge made from few crates. Or if Ilja is so kind to think of a way to have the soft water particles always active at spot predefined coordinates (or related to a code-specified mesh or RainFX always active on a mesh with parameters for wetness going to 100%) we can have the first for AC water splash.
i've checked the sea only
i adjusted settings and it becomes acceptable, it's just loosing some details i made for the distance, trying to recreate current and
fresnel exp shoudln't be more than 4 or 5, else it gets realy dark in places

There really isn't a proper solution.. i've tried contacting ilja, at least to list this as a bug that needs adressing. But his inbox must be drowning and i can't reach him, so that's that.
I also don't want to spend time trying to find solution for for something CSP has messed up. That is not how it should work.

beta update
i've spent some time improving a lot of invisible things, to improve performance
all bushes are ksLayered (means invisible in reflection, mirrors, and customisable in world details setting), distant trees, boats, boulders too
Simpler collision mesh for a lot of assets. And no collision at all when further from the road

if people want to give it a try and compare (and let me know)
http://benobro.org/sub/union_island_wip210926.7z - 314mo

the structure kn5 alone went from 4500 objects to 2800
i've resized few dds, and saved 100mo on the track folder as a result
There's few things i need to fix first and then release a new version.
Nothing new in it, just better ground for future updates hopefully

Last edited:
Definitely will have a look at the WIP. Meanwhile I am serious about hiking on the Island and some windows caught my eye
Clipboard02.jpg

Those meshes are not illuminated at night so their transparency only causes defects. Fixable with CSP code at the moment but you may consider setting objects transparency as you go if not imteded to have some other mesh behind glass. What I'm doing now is
Code:
[SHADER_REPLACEMENT_...]
MATERIALS = BAKED_archi?,roof tiles?,z_win_transpa
CULL_MODE = OFF

[SHADER_REPLACEMENT_...]
MESHES = 1WALL_House01_AO_beach004_SUB3, 1WALL_airport_tower_SUB3, 1WALL_House01_AO_def_SUB3, House01_AO_def001_SUB3, House01_AO_def006_SUB3, House01_AO_def003_SUB3, House01_AO_beach005_SUB3, House01_AO_def005_SUB3
IS_TRANSPARENT = 0
Clipboard03.jpg

Definitely will have a look at the WIP. Meanwhile I am serious about hiking on the Island and some windows caught my eye
View attachment 506086
Those meshes are not illuminated at night so their transparency only causes defects. Fixable with CSP code at the moment but you may consider setting objects transparency as you go if not imteded to have some other mesh behind glass. What I'm doing now is
Code:
[SHADER_REPLACEMENT_...]
MATERIALS = BAKED_archi?,roof tiles?,z_win_transpa
CULL_MODE = OFF

[SHADER_REPLACEMENT_...]
MESHES = 1WALL_House01_AO_beach004_SUB3, 1WALL_airport_tower_SUB3, 1WALL_House01_AO_def_SUB3, House01_AO_def001_SUB3, House01_AO_def006_SUB3, House01_AO_def003_SUB3, House01_AO_beach005_SUB3, House01_AO_def005_SUB3
IS_TRANSPARENT = 0
View attachment 506087
if you see a black interior conveniently placed inside, preventing any see through walls, maybe i made that on purpose ^^

for some reasons, few days before releasing the track, my persistence file lost all parameter of my scene, ending up in few objects not set transparent as they should... and some that shouldn't !
text of the firestation, yellow pickup etc.

Last edited:
for some reasons, few days before releasing the track, my persistence file lost all parameter of my scene, ending up in few objects not set transparent as they should
I get that many times with ksEditor (the official one with AC 1.16.3). Even on a car model it's tedious to check all the time if transparency and blend mode is correct and on a track it's next to impossible. So we'll get what the luck of the draw brings. Maybe changing the name of material on the windows with different properties can help and then in "Node Grid" sorted by material the "0" transparency pops up before the eyes more readily.

When walking it is possible to enter any building by pushing against the wall and jump. That opens up the chance for finding some Easter eggs inside if you are so kind to put them in. They may emit slight glow visible in the dark through the glass to give a hint. Curious to see your choice of hidden items :cool:

Last edited:
beta update
i've spent some time improving a lot of invisible things, to improve performance
all bushes are ksLayered (means invisible in reflection, mirrors, and customisable in world details setting), distant trees, boats, boulders too
Simpler collision mesh for a lot of assets. And no collision at all when further from the road

if people want to give it a try and compare (and let me know)
http://benobro.org/sub/union_island_wip210926.7z - 314mo

the structure kn5 alone went from 4500 objects to 2800
i've resized few dds, and saved 100mo on the track folder as a result
There's few things i need to fix first and then release a new version.
Nothing new in it, just better ground for future updates hopefully
Hi Ben,

Just a bit of feed back for you :)

The new update in terms of fps is much smoother. 63 at the back of a full grid and around 85-95 during a race. (I'm running trip screen and pretty much everything on max detail on a 3060) also no more max cpu usage which reared its head previously on a full grid

With regard to the ocean (which I think looks great) I didn't see any change, was there supposed to be ?

Curious if you touched the AI ? as using a selection of Porsches they all made the first corner on the west circuit in several races.

Thanks

Hi Ben,

Just a bit of feed back for you :)

The new update in terms of fps is much smoother. 63 at the back of a full grid and around 85-95 during a race. (I'm running trip screen and pretty much everything on max detail on a 3060) also no more max cpu usage which reared its head previously on a full grid

With regard to the ocean (which I think looks great) I didn't see any change, was there supposed to be ?

Curious if you touched the AI ? as using a selection of Porsches they all made the first corner on the west circuit in several races.

Thanks
hey cheers
great to hear about the performance!

i haven't changed the water no, i don't think i will for next update
like i mentionned, csp should fixe his issue, not me

i'll try and release something soonish just for better performances
no easter egg or other addition yet !

I can confirm - the WIP version helps lower the PHY load and that means much more slots for AI on the start grid. Full 24 grid on WIP instead of 18 on old and the PHY never got over 65%. On the old track it spiked to and above 100% in towns.

Side note: the PHY load gets little lighter also with using "Alt+Tab" to let Windows 7 Desktop Manager take over control of the screen refresh. I'm using v-sync and that maybe is relevant.

How I tested: 9-th slot in same car race (AI drives my car too) on "Scenic" with as much AI as PHY load allows without hitting 100% (Render Stats app) and cause lagging. Ideally we want "PHY_LATE" to be as close to 0 as possible to let the FFB reach the wheel without lag. With 18 cars the old release produced ~3500 late at the end of the lap. With 24 grid the WIP was ~100 late.

In short: well done Ben!

Found some errors in the cams for Scenic route. In cameras.ini cam 11 and 22 is missing and in cameras_1.ini, camera 38 is missing. It creates some errors in the errors.txt log. Didn't check the other layouts.

EDIT: Just saw you made a beta update, so to clarify, this is about the release here on RD, not the beta, which I haven't tried..

Last edited:
Removing the bushes from mirrors really hurts the looks of the scene so much it's not even a matter of taste. Please bring those back for the next release. Meanwhile I'm using the old "bo_verdure.kn5" and the performance hit is next to none. I don't change world details in settings even though my GTX is a mere 1660. I like my scene full of details and always keep "maximum" in settings.

Found some errors in the cams for Scenic route. In cameras.ini cam 11 and 22 is missing and in cameras_1.ini, camera 38 is missing. It creates some errors in the errors.txt log. Didn't check the other layouts.

EDIT: Just saw you made a beta update, so to clarify, this is about the release here on RD, not the beta, which I haven't tried..
thanks, i'll contact the camera guy ^^ @GTAce (no rush)

Removing the bushes from mirrors really hurts the looks of the scene so much it's not even a matter of taste. Please bring those back for the next release. Meanwhile I'm using the old "bo_verdure.kn5" and the performance hit is next to none. I don't change world details in settings even though my GTX is a mere 1660. I like my scene full of details and always keep "maximum" in settings.
Right, because optimizing the scene is about your very taste and your GTX alone.

i might, i might not, it's work in progress. But do let me work in peace
Continue to do your own traffic mods without consulting the modders first
and let me do my thing

thanks, i'll contact the camera guy ^^ @GTAce (no rush)

Right, because optimizing the scene is about your very taste and your GTX alone.

i might, i might not, it's work in progress. But do let me work in peace
Continue to do your own traffic mods without consulting the modders first
and let me do my thing
Sorry, you have no say or rights to make decisions for your own mod.

CSP is life

That's because of the way I did the helicams. I could rename all the cams, but theoretically you could simply ignore the errors.

@Ben O'Bro : Did you ever get my message regarding the third camset?

Last edited:
@Ben O'Bro I just tested the latest CSP build on Union Island and I can happily report that water now looks amazing! Should be out to patreons shortly and the rest of us in the next public CSP version :) Lots of other fixes too!

That's because of the way I did the helicams. I could rename all the cams, but theoretically you could simply ignore the errors.

@Ben O'Bro : Did you ever get my message regarding the third camset?
if you can prevent errors, then always nice to fix it. And since you signed all your files, it would look best for your posterity :D
@Ben O'Bro I just tested the latest CSP build on Union Island and I can happily report that water now looks amazing! Should be out to patreons shortly and the rest of us in the next public CSP version :) Lots of other fixes too!
yeah pretty awesome, i managed to get in touch with him and he fixed it.
Magic ilja

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea