Triple Screen Support Coming to ACC!

Chris

Premium
FB_IMG_1571199787306.jpg
Earlier this morning, Aristotelis of Kunos Simulazioni teased an image of Assetto Corsa Competizione being displayed on three monitors.

For many racers, triple screen support is absolutely essential for racing. Without it, games will go completely untouched, unpurchased and left to collect dust on the virtual shelves of the Steam store. And it's completely understandable. Racing on triple screens is a totally different ball game to a single screen. Outside of Virtual Reality, it is the single most immersive way to play racing games currently.

However, with a single social media post from Kunos, they could see the inclusion of thousands of simracers who have been waiting eagerly for Assetto Corsa Competizione to become compatible with Triple Screen setups.

In what capacity it will be available at release remains to be seen as the cryptic post gave little away, other than support for triple screens and the interior of the newly (but not yet announced) McLaren 720S GT3. No release date, no word on how it will work with Unreal Engine. But... The most important thing is that it's coming.

Unreal Engine has been something of a limiting factor for the Italian studio as the engine does not natively support triple screen rendering. Meaning that to get it to work would require convoluted workarounds, often resulting in warped and skewed images on the side monitors.

However, with the hard work of Kunos, that looks set to be a thing of the past.

Will this development be the catalyst to get you to fire up ACC for the first time in months? Or to buy it in the first place if you haven't already? Let us know in the comments below.

If you like what we do here at RaceDepartment, follow us on Social Media for more great content and all the latest in the world of SimRacing!

Public service announcement - since it's very closely intertwined with triples talk, if you are new to the hobby and don't understand there are legitimate laptime performance considerations with a properly (or improperly) set FOV, do yourself a favor and head to YouTube and search up "sim racing fov". There are multiple very good explanations of why & how (spoiler alert: "immersion" isn't one of the why's...this is all about your ability to perceive speed and depth on a 2D projection of a 3D world).

Do you feel giant with a 27cm wide car on your tiny screen?

Odd.
I race purely in VR, so no. I find it very important to make sure that the real wheel and the virtual wheel match properly so my virtual hands are in the same spot and move the same way as my actual hands. Same goes for the sitting position.

Guess you get use to anything though

Its not a case of getting used to anything, Its a case of setting it up to meet the expectations of the user.

And funny enough, we all have different expectations even if we have a common interest.

I do find it odd that some people think their preferred setup makes other peoples preferred setups incorrect.

Thanks but no, I don't need it to be corrected by you, so please remove my name from that post...
I am not talking about ACC overall quality, I am talking about simracing in general and I think ACC like others sim has it its own problems but promoting something should be there from day one as an exciting news (as other sim did in the past) is a joke....
It's not exciting news but it's big for ACC and it's one of those "finally!" things. I don't own triples but I understand quite a few people are more than happy to read this. ACC has other exciting stuff that nobody mentions (amazing rain simulation, great graphics and lighting, car physics etc) because on these forums we like to complain about stuff and say that today's simracing news are a joke.

I have just started a poll to find out what people mainly sim race on.
Please give your vote(s).

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/what-do-you-mainly-play-your-pc-sims-on.174369/#post-3057259
Well if you read the comprehensive thread that one of our guys created on VR as he has all VR headsets you will see that the CV1 is indeed fine as is the Vive but once you start going up in VR res like Reverb, Rift S etc etc it doesn't get any better and is actually blurry, Kunos did remove the VR support tag from the Steam store at one point as the only official support was the CV1 and Vive, they have now re added it silently again like they removed it and have included Valve index, very shady tactics.

I stopped playing it myself as their triple screen fudge just made the centre screen look like someone had smeared vaseline on my monitor so the fact that native triple screen support is coming is very welcome but it should have been there when the game was released in my opinion, any serious sim should have triples and VR support before it is released.

Edit, I quoted the wrong thread but was quoting your reply thug on the fact the CV1 was is fine but I also voted on your poll ;-)

Last edited:
FOV calculators don't work on screens this size, Not that I bother with them. Your field of view starts at your eyes, not at the screen.

Aside from that, Yes, Big screen, big image. For me, Much better then tiny screen with tiny image.
View attachment 329642
That looks crazy and not in a good way, lol, i have a similar amount of cockpit dash(half the dash) in my rig but at a realistic size on my 40" monitor. My real steering wheel matches the size of the ingame wheel. If I had another 40" screen it would be a realistic size of the whole dashboard, (not wrapping around me like triples would though) 3x27" screens would also give a more realistic representation of the size of the inside of the car.
After a while you must feel massive after playing in that setup because of immersion but tiny when you first start. A screen that size should be representing the whole car and world around you, lol not just half a dashboard.

Well it is "incorrect" if you are trying to "simulate" real life driving in human cars ;)
Making it like you have is your "opinion" and your "preference" but certainly not correct.

The technology is the limitation on the simulation, apart from VR we are all still looking at a digital image on a flat screen located at a distance from our eyes. Muck around with your FOV calculation all you want, It doesn't make that situation any more real.

You can though set up up to meet your exceptions so that you are immersed in the process and somewhat ignore the limitations of the process. As already noted, we all have different factors to meet this requirement. Yours aren't superior even with your arrogance.

That, and you don't drive a calculation, If the feeling isn't there then adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
The technology is the limitation on the simulation, apart from VR we are all still looking at a digital image on a flat screen located at a distance from our eyes. Muck around with your FOV calculation all you want, It doesn't make that situation any more real...
Sorry but what you say is not true. A correct FOV makes the situation more real. We are talking about sim racing, and in sim racing the objective of the setup is to sim-ulate a real car as much as possible. True, it's a digital image on a flat screen. Then why do you want to make it even less realistic? The FOV calculation serves the purpose of giving you the most realistic 3D representation of the world in front of you, as if your screen was a window open on it. And that does not mean only the scale. Most importantly, it means the distance between you and the "virtual" objects on the screen in front of you (corners, curbs, cars..) and their relative size. In short words, there is one correct FOV, full stop. All non-correct FOVs distort the space in front of you. Of course we can adapt to anything and absolutely no problem with that.

Its not a case of getting used to anything
You can though set up up to meet your exceptions so that you are immersed in the process and somewhat ignore the limitations
Hence the "you can get used to anything" comment earlier that you dismissed.
Yours aren't superior even with your arrogance
Not once have I eluded to my setup being "superior" but more so "more correct to real life". Nothing about being correct makes it superior!
Facts don't care about opinions ;)

• Deleted member 197115

@Metla, try this one, it can go up to 80"

AC and ACC should be the same (vertical FOV)

You might need to move seat position back and forth to adjust cockpit view after changing FOV.

And a good read on subj.,

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, That was more of a swipe at the fov crowd in general, So many panties in a twist.

At the risk of repeating myself, I value immersion over getting carried away about a calculation. yes I understand the science behind it, I can even see why a certain demographic of the community cling to it like its the holy grail that makes their game "real".

The mathematically correct formula I personally find detracts from my experience rather then making it more real. It takes a certain level of arrogance to tell me what I'm looking for in a sim and how I'm doing it wrong, But that's why the sim community has the rep it has.

And a 1080p flat image doesn't become less correct because its on a large or small screen.

Last edited:
And a 1080p flat image doesn't become less correct because its on a large or small screen
Well if your not trying to actually simulate a real world thing then no but having a 3 foot or 10cm steering wheel on a virtual world does not even come close to being "correct" and if your chasing immersion that should remove any immersion instantly, either way, too big or small.

Well if your not trying to actually simulate a real world thing then no but having a 3 foot or 10cm steering wheel on a virtual world does not even come close to being "correct" and if your chasing immersion that should remove any immersion instantly, either way, too big or small.

No child, I have immersion, all without your waffle. Your point of view on my setup is 100% meaningless.

Now let the adults go back to talking about triple screens on ACC.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back