Triple Screen Support Coming to ACC!

Chris

Premium
FB_IMG_1571199787306.jpg
Earlier this morning, Aristotelis of Kunos Simulazioni teased an image of Assetto Corsa Competizione being displayed on three monitors.

For many racers, triple screen support is absolutely essential for racing. Without it, games will go completely untouched, unpurchased and left to collect dust on the virtual shelves of the Steam store. And it's completely understandable. Racing on triple screens is a totally different ball game to a single screen. Outside of Virtual Reality, it is the single most immersive way to play racing games currently.

However, with a single social media post from Kunos, they could see the inclusion of thousands of simracers who have been waiting eagerly for Assetto Corsa Competizione to become compatible with Triple Screen setups.

In what capacity it will be available at release remains to be seen as the cryptic post gave little away, other than support for triple screens and the interior of the newly (but not yet announced) McLaren 720S GT3. No release date, no word on how it will work with Unreal Engine. But... The most important thing is that it's coming.

Unreal Engine has been something of a limiting factor for the Italian studio as the engine does not natively support triple screen rendering. Meaning that to get it to work would require convoluted workarounds, often resulting in warped and skewed images on the side monitors.

However, with the hard work of Kunos, that looks set to be a thing of the past.

Will this development be the catalyst to get you to fire up ACC for the first time in months? Or to buy it in the first place if you haven't already? Let us know in the comments below.

If you like what we do here at RaceDepartment, follow us on Social Media for more great content and all the latest in the world of SimRacing!

Well if you read the comprehensive thread that one of our guys created on VR as he has all VR headsets you will see that the CV1 is indeed fine as is the Vive but once you start going up in VR res like Reverb, Rift S etc etc it doesn't get any better and is actually blurry, Kunos did remove the VR support tag from the Steam store at one point as the only official support was the CV1 and Vive, they have now re added it silently again like they removed it and have included Valve index, very shady tactics.

You have a valid point, its just a shame people don't state which headset they are using instead of a blanket response 'VR is broken', when in fact its THEIR particular headset that's not working as they would like it to. They are possibly putting off potential new purchasers from getting the game. It would be like triple monitor users saying that 'monitor view is broken', when in fact its only triples.

I would like to read that report though if you have a link as I am in the market of wanting to update me headset.
He must be very privileged to have ALL VR headsets, i'm a little envious, but grateful he made that sacrifice to help out fellow sim racers.

That's always the argument of the intolerant/ignat.... Insults ;)

Its an attempt to put a blunt stop to stupidity.

The killer game, The large screen, The amp and speakers, The sub right beside my chair, The wheel, They all combine to make an awesome and immersive experience. You telling me I have it wrong because of your calculation or because my screen is too big is just bizarre.

If you were up this way you would be more then welcome to try it for yourself, and I assure you, You would love it and see the folly in your words.

You could even adjust the POV to suit yourself, After all, whatever suits the user.

But, No doubt my FFB settings would be wrong, or my speaker placement wouldn't be recreating the realistic soundscape. Or maybe my chair is just too damn comfortable.

Gents, Why the @Metla bashing? Do you feel better now?
He obviously found his sweet spot for simracing, which might be a different one to yours. I also raced on a 100" front projection as I simply had to cope with the means I had. And there are calculators, where you can at least get a good idea on real FOV even with such a large screen.

Good news for ACC fans, hope performance won't be as bad as the VR implementation though...

Performance is probably among top reasons it hasn't been implemented earlier. Having a stretched view over three displays as it is done now is a lot less complicated and doesn't come with much performance loss except for the obvious loss you get from the increased resolution.

With VR, the game has to render the image twice for each frame. With proper triple screen support it's even worse since you have three viewports, so each pass will require three renderings and the side views will have much more content to render than in the stretched triple screen mode. So by definition, there will be a performance loss, I'd expect something slightly worse than VR. On the other hand, in VR people often use crazy supersampling resolutions, so you gain some back by running e.g. "only" 1080p triples.

Yep, it’s all poor... I’ve been having such a poor time lately... haha

As I said elsewhere, good for you if you enjoy it, after all it is just "gaming". I don't enjoy ACC because it lacks too many crucial features in my eyes, or more exactly those features have really bad implementation when compared to rFactor 2 or iRacing.

Now I understand some ppl actually like it because it's easier to drive and they enjoy this but I prefer it to be really hard and rewarding.

You may disagreee and even think it is the best simulation out there, I really don't mind, I just think (with argues) that it is not a real simulation since it lacks critical aspects.

That's all.

PS : I don't get the point with your videos, what do they show exactly ? Of course you can race in ACC and even have fun, never said anything against that. Just said it is barely a simulation imho.

Buy another screen and moan about quadruple screen support.

:sneaky:
This is really strange some ppl don't understand why triple screen is important for some. You don't use triple screen so it shouldn't be a priority ? How about some kid coming here and state wheel + pedals shouldn't be a priority because they prefer pad ?

Triple screen should have been a priority since day 1, A LOT of simracers use triple screen, iRacing community is about more than 50% triple screen drivers, others have either VR or UltraWide screens, very few are actually using 16:9 screens and most of them aren't that performant.

That being said they aren't casual drivers, so they dedicate a full hardware to simracing, which may not be your case, espacially if you play ACC since it doesn't fit well online racing.

@Metla I do think everyone should just play with whatever setup makes them comfortable, happy, immersed, whatever.

That said, if your hardware allows, maybe just have a go at something like this image. A wider resolution to fill that area. I'm not saying exactly what I have layed out lol, but you get the idea.

I am not saying it is better for you or anything, just a suggestion to try something else is all, as it would be on a more realistic scale.

But at the end of the day, if your setup is awesome to you, then it's awesome, regardless of FOV etc.
projector.jpg

You must be kidding, why would anyone buy a projector and do that?

I've got a 75" 4K tv in the main lounge and another gaming PC in the second lounge running a wide screen 32" Monitor if I wanted to use a smaller screen.

This place is insane, I cant believe that's a real suggestion.

Not to be rude, But the only reason I can think of for using a projector is for the size, and I have already stated that I very much enjoy that aspect of it. If I were going to take that away from it I'd be wasting my time using it at all.

To me, it would be taking something I actively enjoy and just flat out ruining the experience.

I am honestly surprised people think using a large screen is an issue they need to get involved in.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 112 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 153 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 289 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 419 39.8%