Triple Screen Support Coming to ACC!

Chris

Premium
FB_IMG_1571199787306.jpg
Earlier this morning, Aristotelis of Kunos Simulazioni teased an image of Assetto Corsa Competizione being displayed on three monitors.

For many racers, triple screen support is absolutely essential for racing. Without it, games will go completely untouched, unpurchased and left to collect dust on the virtual shelves of the Steam store. And it's completely understandable. Racing on triple screens is a totally different ball game to a single screen. Outside of Virtual Reality, it is the single most immersive way to play racing games currently.

However, with a single social media post from Kunos, they could see the inclusion of thousands of simracers who have been waiting eagerly for Assetto Corsa Competizione to become compatible with Triple Screen setups.

In what capacity it will be available at release remains to be seen as the cryptic post gave little away, other than support for triple screens and the interior of the newly (but not yet announced) McLaren 720S GT3. No release date, no word on how it will work with Unreal Engine. But... The most important thing is that it's coming.

Unreal Engine has been something of a limiting factor for the Italian studio as the engine does not natively support triple screen rendering. Meaning that to get it to work would require convoluted workarounds, often resulting in warped and skewed images on the side monitors.

However, with the hard work of Kunos, that looks set to be a thing of the past.

Will this development be the catalyst to get you to fire up ACC for the first time in months? Or to buy it in the first place if you haven't already? Let us know in the comments below.

If you like what we do here at RaceDepartment, follow us on Social Media for more great content and all the latest in the world of SimRacing!

I do have a PJ too that drops down infront the TV, but it's just for movies now and not connected to my PC, although Xbox and PS4 are still playable on it.
So I do get the whole size thing vs realistic scale, and both can be awesome. While I personally go for immersion based on realism, I understand the appeal of going the other route with an all encompassing display. I was just saying you could try that is all, would cost you nothing.
Anyway, at the very least, can you make any physical and/or in game adjustments to lower the horizon some? That's one thing that bugged me when I have gamed on the PJ, the constant looking up.

Personally, I use VR and wouldn't consider triples (don't have the space) but I'm glad to see Kunos has been working on it. Either triples, VR, or sitting extremely close to an ultrawide monitor is a requirement to drive these sims properly, and only the third has really worked well with ACC up to now. I hope they can improve VR as well but I'm not expecting too much in the near future. And I'm pleased to see that they continue to improve the gameplay aspects, ACC has a lot of issues right now but it's still the closest to what I want in racing sim.

Anyway, at the very least, can you make any physical and/or in game adjustments to lower the horizon some? That's one thing that bugged me when I have gamed on the PJ, the constant looking up.

The way it sits my line of site is aligned as it would be were I sitting in car so I don't have the issue where I would constantly having to look up. I generally adjust the fov to align with whats in my peripheral vision in a real car as well (fully accepting the fact that this may affect my lap times, But hey, I'm breaking no records either way)

I find it works well, I can easily look into the short or long distance.Look through and find the apex of corners, and run close to other traffic.

Pic to trigger a few people.
IMG_6600.jpg

This thread reminds me of the old fable about Picasso. Picasso was supposedly once asked why he didn't draw things as they really were. Picasso shrugged and said he didn't understand. The man asking him took a passport-style portrait photo of his wife out of his wallet and showed it to Picasso saying 'like this, that's how she really looks'. Picasso supposedly replied 'she's kind of small and flat then isn't she'.

It's all in the eye of the beholder and all that.

The only thing that truly bothers me on a huge screen like that is shall we say, gentleman's entertainment, no one needs to see the undercarriage that big.

The way it sits my line of site is aligned as it would be were I sitting in car so I don't have the issue where I would constantly having to look up.
Ah ok, I did wonder if it was perhaps the angle of the photo and all that made it look that way.
Wreckfest is awesome and I don't know if it may be of interest to you but there's a mod in the Workshop to remove the steering wheel. I like it as I don't wish to see both my wheel and a virtual wheel, but also I hate the absurd deformation that can occur to the wheel on severe car damage.

You telling me I have it wrong because of your calculation or because my screen is too big is just bizarre.
Well, you quite obviously *do* have it wrong, there's nothing bizarre about it. One look at your picture makes it very clear.

However, having it wrong is also apparently what you find best for your own experience, and that's perfectly OK. That's a very subjective thing nobody except you can judge.

I think it's important to separate these two, as it's absolutely possible for both of them to apply at the same time. It's not just one or the other.

Well, you quite obviously *do* have it wrong, there's nothing bizarre about it. One look at your picture makes it very clear.

However, having it wrong is also apparently what you find best for your own experience, and that's perfectly OK. That's a very subjective thing nobody except you can judge.

I think it's important to separate these two, as it's absolutely possible for both of them to apply at the same time. It's not just one or the other.

Thanks for letting me know that whats works as the best experience for me is allowable in its failure.

So, assuming that only the fovvers follow the golden path and that the formula over rules all in its rigidity rendering all other considerations as incorrect, why do you suppose the devs don't build a pov calculator into their games?

Serious question. You generally have interesting insights.

If the FOV is so important that everyone not using the mathematical result is incorrect and their experience is lacking because of it (to the point that the pov fanatical are driven to publicly call people out on it no less, which isn't in anyway bizarre), surely the game at first launch should ask for size of screen, approx distance from screen and then set it self up accordingly?

Last edited:
So, assuming that only the fovvers follow the golden path and that the formula over rules all in its rigidity rendering all other considerations as incorrect
For me it had little to do with your FOV as i stated in my first post about your massive virtual car ! I said my overall view is similar , my questions where about the questionable size of the virtual car :whistling: you jumped up and down , even resorted to childish name calling and yet you still don't even understand the point i and it seems lots have .

Keep defending something that doesn't need defending , i assume those who bothered to post comments about your setup where not once saying that what you like is wrong to like ,rather just replying to your defensive "well its correct to me" attitude :giggle: .

Its nowhere near correct to what most here are trying to do , simulate the act of driving a race car as closely as we possibly can while using the tools at out disposal.
I commented that maybe there where ways to get your setup more closely to what it is to replicate the real thing . All you had to do is agree your setup is quite different to the normal sim drivers preference and state that that's how you like it , not keep telling us that it is correct ! :speechless:

Facts don't care about opinions! :cool:

Whatever. Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. It's very simple: there is a correct FOV to simulate what you see from your rig. It's math, and math is correct or incorrect. That helps you drive like you would in real life. You don't like it? It's good.

Reactions: Ote
You have a valid point, its just a shame people don't state which headset they are using instead of a blanket response 'VR is broken', when in fact its THEIR particular headset that's not working as they would like it to. They are possibly putting off potential new purchasers from getting the game. It would be like triple monitor users saying that 'monitor view is broken', when in fact its only triples.

I would like to read that report though if you have a link as I am in the market of wanting to update me headset.
He must be very privileged to have ALL VR headsets, i'm a little envious, but grateful he made that sacrifice to help out fellow sim racers.
You could look at also from a different angle, all the people on Kunos forum that were saying VR is fine were the CV1 and Vive owners and dismissing a problem as they hadn't tried Rift S, Reverb, Valve Index etc, initially the Steam store said Rift and Vive and if you dug deeper (there is a link somewhere) it transpired that it was only CV1 and Vive not Rift S and Vive Pro, they have now added Valve Index.

If Kunos had been specific from the start and stated it on Steam store then it wouldn't have been a surprise to the owners of the newer HMD's but they didn't and silently without any word removed all traces of any VR support on the Steam store, in contrast Kartkraft (unreal) listed Rift/Vive/Index/Windows MR and the guy that did the test on ACC bought Kartkraft to run the same test and found it was working perfectly.

It's the same old thing, 'well mine is fine, it must be a problem your end' scenario when in actual fact it was Kunos's problem and they silently covered it up, the thread was posted and then a couple of days later marked as fixed and when questioned said it was marked as fixed in error and unmarked it and then ignored it.

FxUK is his name one of our guys and he is very privileged and has had CV1,Vive,Vive Pro, Reverb, Rift S and now has a Pimax 5k+, all of the later headsets looked no better than CV1 etc.

Here is his thread, you will see the ones saying it is fine for them are on CV1 mainly, check post #40 for passing the buck! https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...vr-not-rendering-at-correct-resolution.58341/

It may have changed a bit since then but the fact remains they initially passed the buck, silently removed VR support and never responded, I think he is going to install it again with the new 1.1 and try it on Rift S and Pimax 5k+, will let you know his findings, he returned the Reverb as it was faulty and never replaced it, he sold his CV1, I think he may have bought the Valve Index recently I'll find out.

For me it had little to do with your FOV as i stated in my first post about your massive virtual car ! :speechless:

Facts don't care about opinions! :cool:

Yes, Its a big screen, hence it is a big image. Glad you pointed it out and made a big deal out of it like it means anything. I probably wouldn't have noticed myself it was a big screen so thanks.

My apologies for not realizing that in order to appease you all I had to do is agree my setup is quite different to the normal sim drivers preference. (seriously, what the hell is this dribble?)

Anyway, Thanks for bringing up the fact again that I have a big screen and you have a problem with it.

Pretty sure the conversation has moved on though.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%