The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Just making a start on the Rolland-Pilain A22, not got very far yet...:p

rpa22_07042021.jpg

ok here's hope.
KSTREE_GROUP, ATTEMPT III

i've used our license at work to test 3dsmax 2022 (and far better computer...)
2022 seems to handle large number of objects a bit better (although it crashed my viewport couple times even with 64 of memory and a 2080ti..)

using all the trees on my islands i made with Forest pro plugin (that meant buying the up to date version compatible with 2022... sorry boss, that's for research :rolleyes:)

i used the tool (thx @The-IC) to separate each tree (!!) into a unique object (rather than the scattered group)
there's some missing ones below but the count gives an idea, knowing above a thousand objects will give 3dsmax some slow time

The simple fact of selecting them all takes few minutes...
kstree_group01.JPG

(close up) displayed as boxes so my computer doesn't die yet. But they are x-shape trees
1617802772457.png

(also making sure i renamed my objects so each future kstree_group won't reach the 65k limit)
unknown.png

The export selected into FBX took 15-20 minutes (coffee time)
the fbx is also a little bigger than regular...
unknown.png

Then the import into ksEditor is still happening as i write this, almost an hour later XD
1617802847527.png

So alternatively, i used the modded version V6 below :
(there are limitations with it, such as transparency for some shaders etc.)

BUT it allows command line to execute an export from FBX to KN5 directly.
(That means having a persistence file already done, so better be using an existing fbx name and its ini, or else you'll loose transparency on your kstree material.)

example command line :
Code:
D:\PROG\ks_editor_v6\ksEditorAt.exe kn5track D:\bo\UnionIsland\_export\green2.kn5 D:\bo\UnionIsland\_EXPORT\green2.fbx

Which took less than 5min (better than an hour and counting ?)

And voila... that's just for the main trees around the terrain.
bushes are stlil regular normals up. And considering the bushes are probably 3 or 4 times more than my trees, i'd say they will most likely remain with normals up !!
But already, most of my hills will have trees receiving lights better and giving a better immersion

hills:
20210407152716_1.jpg 20210407152724_1.jpg

with bushes to compare :
20210407152837_1.jpg 20210407152844_1.jpg

Conclusion¹ : ben made trees, yay.
Conclusion² : i damn well better make sure it's all final once i decide to export those..

thank you for your attention

i may resume my actual work :whistling:

Last edited:
Dave "esotic" and I run a simple league together (US time zones) and a while back we were all brainstorming after a race to try and come up with a way to "fix" the screwed up AC drafting on high speed ovals. The "fix" ended up being a dynamic restrictor system. The end result is fairly believable pack racing inside AC. The plugin works on a server so it is only for online use. BUT no extra apps are required to be installed. You just join and it works.

Here is a replay of our race last night. Still some tweaking and bug fixes to work out but overall it works pretty well. Dave does plan to make the plugin public once he gets some more of the bugs ironed out.

Race1 starts around the 47 min mark. Track is a conversion that can be found around the web. I just fixed it up a smidge for our use.

ok here's hope.
KSTREE_GROUP, ATTEMPT III

i've used our license at work to test 3dsmax 2022 (and far better computer...)
2022 seems to handle large number of objects a bit better (although it crashed my viewport couple times even with 64 of memory and a 2080ti..)

using all the trees on my islands i made with Forest pro plugin (that meant buying the up to date version compatible with 2022... sorry boss, that's for research :rolleyes:)

i used the tool (thx @The-IC) to separate each tree (!!) into a unique object (rather than the scattered group)
there's some missing ones below but the count gives an idea, knowing above a thousand objects will give 3dsmax some slow time

The simple fact of selecting them all takes few minutes...
View attachment 462342

(close up) displayed as boxes so my computer doesn't die yet. But they are x-shape trees
View attachment 462343

(also making sure i renamed my objects so each future kstree_group won't reach the 65k limit)
unknown.png

The export selected into FBX took 15-20 minutes (coffee time)
the fbx is also a little bigger than regular...
unknown.png

Then the import into ksEditor is still happening as i write this, almost an hour later XD
View attachment 462345

So alternatively, i used the modded version V6 below :
(there are limitations with it, such as transparency for some shaders etc.)

BUT it allows command line to execute an export from FBX to KN5 directly.
(That means having a persistence file already done, so better be using an existing fbx name and its ini, or else you'll loose transparency on your kstree material.)

example command line :
Code:
D:\PROG\ks_editor_v6\ksEditorAt.exe kn5track D:\bo\UnionIsland\_export\green2.kn5 D:\bo\UnionIsland\_EXPORT\green2.fbx

Which took less than 5min (better than an hour and counting ?)

And voila... that's just for the main trees around the terrain.
bushes are stlil regular normals up. And considering the bushes are probably 3 or 4 times more than my trees, i'd say they will most likely remain with normals up !!
But already, most of my hills will have trees receiving lights better and giving a better immersion

hills:
View attachment 462351 View attachment 462352

with bushes to compare :
View attachment 462353 View attachment 462354

Conclusion¹ : ben made trees, yay.
Conclusion² : i damn well better make sure it's all final once i decide to export those..

thank you for your attention

i may resume my actual work :whistling:
I don't mean to step on your toes and destruct your hard work, as I really do think it's a massive transformation! But, I think it's quite obvious that they are X-shaped rather than Y-shaped, especially with lighting from the front.
I know Y-trees will add 50% more faces but it might be worth replacing them. (I can hear you cry already..:unsure:)

But hey, as i said, it looks freaking awesome already! :)

I don't mean to step on your toes and destruct your hard work, as I really do think it's a massive transformation! But, I think it's quite obvious that they are X-shaped rather than Y-shaped, especially with lighting from the front.
I know Y-trees will add 50% more faces but it might be worth replacing them. (I can hear you cry already..:unsure:)
minor detail :roflmao:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea