How to MOD ! (Links & ref)

Ben O'Bro

Premium
Hey there.

In my Caterham (& modding) journey to Assetto, i keep going back to useful posts, sometimes savings links as shortcut to be sure to keep that valuable info on how to something in particular.
Today i decided it would be nice to do a sticky note where we would edit this post in useful stuff.
A lot was said in the "dumb question thread", but there's so many pages to look into!
I invite anyone to post useful links below and i'll update them here, trying to sort them by categories.

Rim & Rim blur material with rim_detail texture for color
Mirror & Mapping
Make the dev map (MIRROR_PLACEMENT.png) 4:1 ratio instead of 2:1 in order to map correctly your mirror.
Also make sure to flip the mapping as screen below :
assetto_mirror_ratio.jpg
Shaking Parts while driving (thx @garyjpaterson)
You can make things like the exhaust (or mirror) 'jiggle' through the damage.ini.
Try something like this - the important bits are min and full speed, as setting them both to -1 means the 'damage' is on all the time.
[VISUAL_OBJECT_0]
NAME=Exhaust1
STATIC_ROTATION_AXIS=-1,0,0
STATIC_ROTATION_ANGLE=0
MULT_G=0.1
DAMAGE_ZONE=REAR
MIN_SPEED=-1 ; three the most important values
FULL_SPEED=-1
ALLOWED_G=0,0,0
OSCILLATION_MIN_ANGLE=0
OSCILLATION_AXIS=0,-1,1 ; change this to choose axis
OSCILLATION_MAX_ANGLE=1 ; and this to change amplitude
Tyre texture (ksTyre) faulty shadows

Z-fighting : depth mode in ksEditor (thx @CC)
if you use this setting inside the SDK on logos and mesh what you find issues with clipping/Z Fighting ect ingame use this stops the issues : eNoZWrite
z writing.png

using Camera match for 3dsmax : [url]
_____
SKINS
_____
Car skinning (projection in 3dsmax & photoshop)

_________
ANIMATION
_________
Anim / Skin flexible (using 3Dsmax) :

Details :
Basically i applied the skin modifier to the brake cable, and i applied both screws as bones. No need of more null/dummy this way
Prior to this, you need to make sure you put gizmo of the cable properly, and centered in 0,0,0
i edited the enveloppe very wide as you can see in the screenshots.
To try quicker what's best for enveloppe parameters, i animated some key frames of the steering, then as i was playing with the enveloppe shape, i was playing the timeline to see the result, faster than selecting the bones etc.

aaand last but not least, but this you know the pain ;p is the ksEditor, messing around with skin
i personally had to go texture the object in the .ini of the fbx and reloading kseditor with it, otherwise i couldn't do anything to it... fun!
Custom Steering Animation (using 3Dsmax)
And scale driver for animation above (using 3Dsmax)
How to Animate Suspension Using That Script And DIR_ Feature (using 3Dsmax)
Rotating object in extra_animations.ini
[ROTATING_OBJECT_0]
NAME=FAN - name of the dummy
RPM=100 - as there is no blurred texture, after a certain speed it actually starts looking slower so keep around 100
AXIS=1,0,0
_____
Sound
_____
Fonsecker tutorial (windows / Adobe Audition )
Rory Walker tutorial (mac)

deleted

Last edited:

Proper technique in track making plus tips by @LilSki

And video series (that's the first of a few)
cheers @NightEye87 for the few explanations !
make Helicopter & Drone Cameras by @Phoenix77
Use LIDAR data, from cloud point to Mesh by @DanTDBV
Tree & normals
1580312828352.png

AI LINE
tips for blender to be able to click on kseditor: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...ack-making-plus-tips.27180/page-5#post-634765
otherwise, you can also re export your kn5 into fbx with 3Dsimed, so the axis are correct and ksEditor recognize where to click (thanks @Fat-Alfie for the trick!)

CSP aka CUSTOM SHADER PATCH

Thanks to leBluem, AssettoDrive, Still tang, Johnr777
url: Basics on github
You'll also need FMOD version 1.08.12 as recommended in kunos audio pipeline. (I haven't tried with a more recent one thb)
Explanation by Still tang :
Use the fmod version recommended in the pipeline, I work off the ac_fmod project given instead of making a new project. When you open that project I made another folder for tracks and just work out of there. I duplicate engine_ext from the tatuusfa1 folder to use as the base for my sounds. I get rid of rpm and throttle parameters. I make a new parameter and call it toggle. This will be fine for sounds that don't need to change pitch etc, so this wont work for things like trains etc that change pitch based off speed. You will have to make a different parameter for that. On my toggle parameter I add the sound and move it as far to the right as I can, making it so its only on 1.0. This will let me control the sound with conditions that return either 1 or 0. If the sound is supposed to loop, make sure you check loop sound on the file. Depending on the distance you need to hear the sound from play around with the distance attenuation on the bottom. After you are happy with the sound, build the bank and export GUIDs. Put the bank and GUIDs in ...\extension\sfx Add these lines to the config​
Code:
[SOUNDBANK_...]
BANK = sfx/your_bank.bank
GUIDS = sfx/GUIDs.txt
Then create sound events, the input key will be whatever parameter you made, if you used toggle like I said above, it will be toggle, 1 will play the sound, anything else wont. Here is an example:​
Code:
[EVENT_...]
DESCRIPTION=Church bell
ID=/tracks/ptang_hometown/church_bell  ;The GUID of the sound in the bank
REVERB_RESPONSE=1
VOLUME=3
CAMERA_INTERIOR_MULT=1  ;Volume inside the car
CAMERA_EXTERIOR_MULT=1.5  ;Volume outside the car
CAMERA_TRACK_MULT=0.5  ;Volume for TV cameras
POSITION=-80.61, 13.53, 585.06  ;Where in the map to emit sound from
; could also be a RELATIVE_TO = in the case of an animated object
DIRECTION=0, 0, 1  ;What direction should the sound be emitting in
INPUT_KEY_0=toggle
INPUT_VALUE_0=1  ;Could be a condition, yet 1 for always on

and in fmod looks like this :​
unknown.png

MISC

List provided by @NightEye87 (i just copy pasted :p) :
Build your first track - basic guide | Proper techniques for track making | Multiple track layouts | Point cloud data to 3D mesh | Track materials and shaders | ksPerPixel_multilayer shader | 3D Grass tutorial | Grooves tutorial | Camera-facing crowd tutorial | Creating semaphores (start lights) | Create AI lines | Time Attack mode | A to B tracks | Reverb | Track side cameras tutorial | Track side cameras information

Last edited:

Template for Python App by @Hunter Vaners

Last edited:
Hi everyone.. i'm new to creating track.. i know how to make a track in Autodesk Maya and output a FBX file. However, can somebody be able to teach me how to create a complete "Track Folder" and how to convert the FBX file to KN5? I bought the 3dSimEd already, but I don't know about the procedures. Would really appreciate if someone who could give me some guidance. Thank you.

Hi everyone.. i'm new to creating track.. i know how to make a track in Autodesk Maya and output a FBX file. However, can somebody be able to teach me how to create a complete "Track Folder" and how to convert the FBX file to KN5? I bought the 3dSimEd already, but I don't know about the procedures. Would really appreciate if someone who could give me some guidance. Thank you.
hi :)
you don't need 3dsimEd, which is made to reverse engineer content, rather than creating some. (you can create some i think, but i've never done it)

you need ksEditor, which is included with Assetto
Here's a pretty nicely done tutorial and general tips about making tracks :

i guess you can ask there you questions once you read it all :)
hope this helps

hi :)
you don't need 3dsimEd, which is made to reverse engineer content, rather than creating some. (you can create some i think, but i've never done it)

you need ksEditor, which is included with Assetto
Here's a pretty nicely done tutorial and general tips about making tracks :

i guess you can ask there you questions once you read it all :)
hope this helps

Thank you really much for your reply and information. I will go in there and study it and hopefully i can work it out.. thank you again... :)

Hello, I'm trying to adjust/modify Data values, specifically for Aero and Drivetrain for a modded car.

I've managed to make some changes and think Im heading in the right direction, however I'm having inconsistencies which are becoming bothersome. Help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Hey there.

In my Caterham (& modding) journey to Assetto, i keep going back to useful posts, sometimes savings links as shortcut to be sure to keep that valuable info on how to something in particular.
Today i decided it would be nice to do a sticky note where we would edit this post in useful stuff.
A lot was said in the "dumb question thread", but there's so many pages to look into!
I invite anyone to post useful links below and i'll update them here, trying to sort them by categories.

Dan the magnificent explained his way of doing things with photo reference modelling (or however it's called!)

using Camera match for 3dsmax : [url]
Car skinning (projection in 3dsmax & photoshop)
Anim / Skin flexible (using 3Dsmax) :

Details :
Basically i applied the skin modifier to the brake cable, and i applied both screws as bones. No need of more null/dummy this way
Prior to this, you need to make sure you put gizmo of the cable properly, and centered in 0,0,0
i edited the enveloppe very wide as you can see in the screenshots.
To try quicker what's best for enveloppe parameters, i animated some key frames of the steering, then as i was playing with the enveloppe shape, i was playing the timeline to see the result, faster than selecting the bones etc.

aaand last but not least, but this you know the pain ;p is the ksEditor, messing around with skin
i personally had to go texture the object in the .ini of the fbx and reloading kseditor with it, otherwise i couldn't do anything to it... fun!
Custom Steering Animation (using 3Dsmax)
And scale driver for animation above (using 3Dsmax)
How to Animate Suspension Using That Script And DIR_ Feature (using 3Dsmax)
Shaking Parts while driving (thx @garyjpaterson)
You can make things like the exhaust (or mirror) 'jiggle' through the damage.ini.
Try something like this - the important bits are min and full speed, as setting them both to -1 means the 'damage' is on all the time.
[VISUAL_OBJECT_0]
NAME=Exhaust1
STATIC_ROTATION_AXIS=-1,0,0
STATIC_ROTATION_ANGLE=0
MULT_G=0.1
DAMAGE_ZONE=REAR
MIN_SPEED=-1 ; three the most important values
FULL_SPEED=-1
ALLOWED_G=0,0,0
OSCILLATION_MIN_ANGLE=0
OSCILLATION_AXIS=0,-1,1 ; change this to choose axis
OSCILLATION_MAX_ANGLE=1 ; and this to change amplitude

Rotating object in extra_animations.ini
[ROTATING_OBJECT_0]
NAME=FAN - name of the dummy
RPM=100 - as there is no blurred texture, after a certain speed it actually starts looking slower so keep around 100
AXIS=1,0,0
Rim & Rim blur material with rim_detail texture for color
Fonsecker tutorial (windows / Adobe Audition )

Rory Walker tutorial (mac)
Mirror & Mapping
Make the dev map (MIRROR_PLACEMENT.png) 4:1 ratio instead of 2:1 in order to map correctly your mirror.
Also make sure to flip the mapping as screen below :
View attachment 381453
Tyre texture (ksTyre) faulty shadows

Z-fighting : depth mode in ksEditor (thx @CC)
if you use this setting inside the SDK on logos and mesh what you find issues with clipping/Z Fighting ect ingame use this stops the issues : eNoZWrite
View attachment 381452
Hi Ben,
Do you know of a good tutorial for making the AC skin template, i.e. the layered AO map, mask, shadows, car part textures, etc.?

I’m new to this, and for me this is the hardest part to unravel. For example, some textures appear in the “template” while others appear as stand-alone texture files. Often there are so many textures jammed onto this template and I can’t sort the underlying process and decisions by the creator.
Thanks!

Hi Ben,
Do you know of a good tutorial for making the AC skin template, i.e. the layered AO map, mask, shadows, car part textures, etc.?

I’m new to this, and for me this is the hardest part to unravel. For example, some textures appear in the “template” while others appear as stand-alone texture files. Often there are so many textures jammed onto this template and I can’t sort the underlying process and decisions by the creator.
Thanks!
that's difficult, as there are different way to achieve car materials. From one car to the other it may vary.
Content Manager and CM Showroom is useful in that sense. You can right click on the material you aim to change, and see what's used, values etc.

Also, you might not be able to change some things using a skin, due to the fact the model didn't set some parameters in the direction you want.
For example the opaque stripe on windshield on some racecars, if the creator didn't plan on making it transparent, you would need to alter the model in order to make it transparent, etc.

so it's a case by case scenario i'm afraid !

Last edited:
Coil springs in Blender (as of 2.81, should be fine in 2.90):
Part 0. Making the mesh
Add a circle representing the cross section of the spring. Apply screw modifier & move axes/offset until it's the right shape. Collapse modifier.

Part 1. Assigning weights
wZN3Tge.jpg

Create armature, make it parent of the spring mesh (automatic bone weights) with a bone "base" at each end of the coil, named SPRING_LF1 and SPRING_LF2 or whatever.
In Edit mode, pick the end loops of the section of coil you want to "spring". There'll typically be about 3/4 of a loop that's always sitting flat on each end and doesn't need to animate, if that's in this mesh, skip it.
Go to object data, Vertex Groups, assign a weight of 1.0 to one end for LF1 and 0.0 for LF2, and vice versa for 0.0 at the other end for LF1, 1.0 for LF2. With 1.0 matching the end that bone starts at. Automatic weights tend not to hit it exactly; in my case they were 0.02 and 0.98 ish. You need it exact so the end moves correctly.
Select the entire spring, except those two loops. (opposite of screenshot; all vertices white except end loops black)
Switch to Weight Paint mode, enable Vertex Selection (next to the 'weight paint' setting in the viewport)
Weights menu, Smooth. Set to 'Active Group', Factor 1.0, Iterations 100 or more, Expand/Contract 0.0. Click the Smooth button repeatedly until the weights stop changing, in the end you should have a nice smooth gradient like in my screenshot. (higher iterations = less repeats but may take longer, more detailed mesh will of course also take longer)
Switch to the other vertex group and repeat, it should be the opposite gradient, blue to red instead of red to blue.
If it goes wrong you can go back to edit mode and assign 0.0 and 1.0 again, nothing from the automatic bone weight parents is needed.

Part 2. Getting It To Work
Make sure the Armature and Spring have the same object origin (0,0,0 is easiest since you can just apply modifiers to get it there). Then just parent them to your main scene empty (mine's called BODY_H for organization but really any parent will do)
In Edit Mode on the armature, make sure the bones have 0 degrees Roll. Any movement of the bones tends to screw this up so do this after the bone lines up with where on the model you want the spring.
For baked animations: Just rig it up how you want, should be able to test in Blender's animation player.
To use DIR_ style animated suspension: Add empties in the same place as those bones, with the same names. These can go into the normal object hierarchy, wherever they need to be (children of coilover components, usually)
Those empties should have +Y be in the direction their corresponding bone points, and then rolled around that axis until it works in both Blender and ingame. (in my case +Z points forward, it'd depend on how the bones are rolled)
Unfortunately kseditor doesn't like ksSkinnedMesh so it may not be visible there; I had to do a lot of back and forth exporting and trying it in the showroom before it was pointing the right way.

The transform matrix of Armature and Spring are both critical to this working correctly, so another tool you might need, in Object Mode, is Object>Parent>Clear Parent Inverse. this sets a special matrix to the identity matrix, it's so special blender hides it and this is the only way you're allowed to edit it, but it can ruin your day. Do this and make sure both objects have their Transforms all 0s for the least weird problems.

Last edited:
hey, hopefully someone can help with this.

im trying to edit the games tires files, but im too dumb to know what half of it is. ive taken a look into the tyres.ini file and changing the width value there, but it doesnt save into AC itself.
do you know why this is happening? im also clueless about the semislicks_rear.lut file, what does that do?

edit: when i say it wont save, i mean the values are saved in the files, but wont be read in AC.

Last edited:
hey, hopefully someone can help with this.

im trying to edit the games tires files, but im too dumb to know what half of it is. ive taken a look into the tyres.ini file and changing the width value there, but it doesnt save into AC itself.
do you know why this is happening? im also clueless about the semislicks_rear.lut file, what does that do?

edit: when i say it wont save, i mean the values are saved in the files, but wont be read in AC.
maybe this : if you still have the data.acd in the folder of the car, then the game will read the data from the acd file.
rename it, and it will take the data from the "data" folder

maybe this : if you still have the data.acd in the folder of the car, then the game will read the data from the acd file.
rename it, and it will take the data from the "data" folder
the data.acd file is not the issue, it is reading the data folder. i know that the data folder works, as things like the engine.lut file work just fine. its simply an issue with the tyres.ini file, do you know of any other ways i can successfully mod the tire width?

Last edited:
the data.acd file is not the issue, it is reading the data folder. i know that the data folder works, as things like the engine.lut file work just fine. its simply an issue with the tyres.ini file, do you know of any other ways i can successfully mod the tire width?
Are you trying to make the tyres visually wider? Then you need to edit the kn5's, not the ini's.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.