The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

The Sauber C9 thing is of course understandable action from Kunos but it worries me in terms of fall and winter-version of the nordschleife (or trento's winter-version). Did they comment on that?

BTW I love this thread, very inspirational, sorry for OT :D

VyvCvgW.jpg

Been a bit since I worked on this (maybe not since the official forums closed), this week I added an oil filter + intake manifold. I was also using it to test driver animations so he's somewhat seated correctly now (subject to further shrinkage since he's way too big for this car)

The funny thing is there's an engine cover that follows the upper frame tube so none of the intake is visible normally except the air filter but still I want to at least have it there. Maybe I can do one of those showroom animations taking the cover off.

Hello, I have this little problem. PS. these are my first evah trees modeled, hooray !

So there is a little problem with these white 3edges. I thought, that I'll be able to avoid them by using widest color range in photoshop selection by color range. But looks like it didn't pick up the very edges. Why is this, how could I fix it ? Or if I can't fix it, then how could I avoid this tragic thing ?

Eu9slwJ.jpg

PS. Is there any limit how many trees there should be in KS_GROUP, or how many trees in certain area, like square kilometer ? Or square 500meters ?

Also I wonder how should I cope with the trunks. Should I leave them as a carboard ? Or do 3D trunks for trees near to the track ?

@LilSki @Fat-Alfie @Sergio Loro

If you remove the alpha channel in the tree image you'll probably see something like on the left.
dOZ5TKl.jpg

You need to make it look more like the right (I just did this quickly, super-brightened a copy of the image and then used that as a layer mask over a dark green)

There are a few ways to avoid the white edges of your tree textures. Either edit the alpha channel and move the black point with Curves or Levels (Photoshop). This will mask more of the texture, bringing the edges inward slightly.

Another thing to try is to use the alpha channel to select your tree area of your texture and then apply a very slight inner glow, 1-2 pixels, set to Multiply, to a colour that matches the outer edge of the tree.

Also, if you are starting with a transparent .png, make sure you place it on a sympathetic coloured background (dark green, low saturation) before saving your .dds file.

I have my 7000 trees split into 5 areas. My trees use 4 textures, so I probably have at most about 400 trees in each ks_group.

My trees are very close to the edge of the track but even so, they are all Y shaped. If you are careful with the rotation and make sure you never approach a tree from an edge, I think Y trees can work just fine.

Your track is looking great, btw :thumbsup:

EDIT - beaten to it :rolleyes:

Thanks so much ! :)

Now have to try it all before going to sleep. I often think that 2d work is more difficult than 3D, with a few exceptions. But there are always way more work to be done for 3D.

My general feeling is that 2d software is much less well designed for 3d art than 3d programs are. For example GIMP is awful for managing alpha channels that mean anything other than transparency (and if you leave it on default, it'll actually erase stuff where the alpha channel's black in some of the export filters)

VyvCvgW.jpg

Been a bit since I worked on this (maybe not since the official forums closed), this week I added an oil filter + intake manifold. I was also using it to test driver animations so he's somewhat seated correctly now (subject to further shrinkage since he's way too big for this car)

The funny thing is there's an engine cover that follows the upper frame tube so none of the intake is visible normally except the air filter but still I want to at least have it there. Maybe I can do one of those showroom animations taking the cover off.
What car is that?

I just want to warn you people, if you are going to change default ppfilter and weather in ksEditor, do a backup of your persistance file at first. I have just lost it. It will take some time to assign everything again, thankfully I haven't tried to do that while working on XJ13....

From now on I'll frequently do persistance file backups...

And changing background color from white to sympathetic green to match edges was quite successful, but yeah still have to find how to do that tiny glow in effect to eliminate whiteness from edges completely, because there still is a tiny bit.

I just want to warn you people, if you are going to change default ppfilter and weather in ksEditor, do a backup of your persistance file at first. I have just lost it. It will take some time to assign everything again, thankfully I haven't tried to do that while working on XJ13....

And changing background color from white to sympathetic green to match edges was quite successful, but yeah still have to find how to do that tiny glow in effect to eliminate whiteness from edges completely, because there still is a tiny bit.
Shouldn't mess with the persistence. I've changed the defaults many times and it never messed with the persistence. In either case it is smart to setup a backup folder in that menu. This will copy a backup before you save the persistence so you can always go back if something happens.

Nobody's guessed yet so I'm not saying other than that it's an early Formula Ford.
I only asked as I was thinking of making a Lola T-440 (I have access to one) and the rear suspension looked very similar.

EDIT: Doing a quick google search and simply using the rear wheel as a hint maybe a Lola T200?

Last edited:
It's possible they use a lot of the same parts, most of the early FFs have the same cast iron uprights from what I could tell, which probably decides how the rest of the suspension looks. And of course the 1600 Kent engine is identical on the inside.

I remember someone guessed that it is Formula Ford, back in the day of official forums :)

Lola T-440 ? Interesting, but what is even more interesting, that you are thinking to do a car. Good luck :)

By the way something has crashed on my ksEditor since i changed default ppfilt and weather. Now persistance simply doesn't save... :/

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.