The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Hi. Just outside Oxford, UK, so the Volvo Museum is quite far from here! Thank you for the offer. Ben Lee has provided over 200 photographs and a photoscan already and this is a good basis for me to work on for now. Later down the line if I need specific photos which aren't in the existing collection I will be sure to message you, Cheers.

AFAIK this car is available in Race07 or Volvo The Game. So you could have a look at that model as a reference too!?

Decided to switch it up for the day and go from slightly futuristic, to decidedly old fashioned.

Mostly boring stuff like closing all the holes underneath so you don't randomly see through the mesh anymore - but also got started on the fabric roof (non-openable, I'm afraid), and the subtle 'lip' round the edge of the wheelarches too. Small detail but adds to the authenticity :)

jwfpyKfh.jpg

Jo3f5sOh.jpg

___

Back to the Dallara for the remaining few days of holiday before I go back to work - Still lots to be done but I at least feel I have the skills to finish it to a level where I am satisfied (no more stopping halfway cos I don't have the knowledge to continue!).
I do have a release date in my head that I'm working towards, bit of a deadline if you will to spur me on. I won't rush it, but it will probably mean the first release will do without some LODs and things of that nature. Looking forward to having it out in public and seeing people have a laugh in it.

:)

What is it about such tiny, ridiculous, insignificant details that I'm just drawn to simulating..?

Anyway, if you do ever feel a little warm whilst motoring, then rest assured you can just pop open one or both of these flaps, allowing the fresh cold air in to cool your knees down. Too cold? Then tough luck, it doesn't come with a heater.

L50weYnh.jpg

6sqYtFch.jpg

From my testing, both open add approximately a whole kg of drag at top speed (60mph) :confused: So make sure to close them when racing, else risk being shown up at first straight!

Last edited:
Decided to switch it up for the day and go from slightly futuristic, to decidedly old fashioned.

Mostly boring stuff like closing all the holes underneath so you don't randomly see through the mesh anymore - but also got started on the fabric roof (non-openable, I'm afraid), and the subtle 'lip' round the edge of the wheelarches too. Small detail but adds to the authenticity :)

jwfpyKfh.jpg

Jo3f5sOh.jpg

___

Back to the Dallara for the remaining few days of holiday before I go back to work - Still lots to be done but I at least feel I have the skills to finish it to a level where I am satisfied (no more stopping halfway cos I don't have the knowledge to continue!).
I do have a release date in my head that I'm working towards, bit of a deadline if you will to spur me on. I won't rush it, but it will probably mean the first release will do without some LODs and things of that nature. Looking forward to having it out in public and seeing people have a laugh in it.

:)
Those little details are what sets mods like these apart from the rest :)

How do you guys do aero simulations? CAEDevice and me have a hard time getting my car workable in his Autodesk ANSYS program. I've already made standalone redraw of the outer shell, but the tool still is unable to differentiate between inside and outside. Only format I can create that it can import is stl

The blueprints shall be these:
you can also get screenshots from Forza, I suppose they have fine model
i always wondered if it's considered "cheating".
I did it once with a crown victoria from a low poly model from GTA, i took the screenshots from side/top/front etc. it was the cleanest blueprint i've had to work with... then i did a much more detailed version anyway, and since you do your own modeling, the mesh is nothing like it.
The pictures all have perspective in them, so i would go for the screenshot from a 3D model...

great pictures!. they will be a great use for me.. i also noted some feautring the forza 3d model too.. but these ones should be the best for me! Havent come across any decent pictures like these before.

thank you very much!

Yeah, perspective doesn't make it a candy, but still handful.

I think using screenshots should be fair, but using model as a blueprint, IMO, is wrong. Modeler still should really get into the lines, and try to understand shape as much as possible, not just draw on top using.

@VaporOne Heh, it was like 10minutes google search....

let me see what else i can find real quick...

Here:

Success. had these ?

https://hiveminer.com/flickr_hvmnd....restingness&page=1&tag_mode=all&search_type=4

Fancied a bit of colour today - couldn't actually find the proper catalogue of colours for the Anglia, so just chose some nice looking ones you might see in the 50's :D

bNk3CSoh.jpg

L4SKx56h.jpg

Playing around with a couple of skin layouts and planning what bits are going to be what colour. Main carbon tub will be 'painted', so choose your colour, has metallic flakes etc. I'm leaving the bottom section the large carbon weave I think.
Then I have a secondary colour, things like the radiator scoops, as well as of course the wheel covers. Right now the wheel covers aren't mapped yet, so that's why those are still yellow in the above pics - in the future they match the secondary colour in the skin.

jRxXFIch.jpg

RQC8XaBh.jpg

And of course the glass will be customisable, will be redoing the mapping on those soon. Oh and the interior will match the secondary colour - I forgot to do that...

Probably not at all noticable, but the all the suspension, rear gearbox (behind the window) and exhaust are all mapped and have AO :)

EDIT*

Question - Does anyone know what the "isAdditive" shader parameter is in the ksEditor? Seems to have slightly different effects at 0,1 and 2.

Bonus pic of the gearbox since the window doesn't make it all that visible

sMJdHBt.jpg

Last edited:
Question - Does anyone know what the "isAdditive" shader parameter is in the ksEditor? Seems to have slightly different effects at 0,1 and 2.
It's not consistent so for a given shader you have to test to be sure.

In theory it's the difference between transparencies purely adding light (1), or simultaneously reducing the diffuse/ambient colour underneath (0). Normally materials would behave as 0 (eg. clearcoated paint), but emissive light and possibly glass benefit from it.

2 switches the scaling of the map value for reflections if I remember right - you can use one of the map channels (blue? lol I don't know) to control reflective sharpness and on one setting it hits a mirror reflection with white, on the other it's softer.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back