The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Errr, what? Please post in the mod thread. This thread is not for this kind of discussion. How many times I have to repeat it?
what if... he's working on it ... ?

Capture.PNG

I've always wondered, fonts like that, which are specific to a certain car or brand, how do you go about creating them?

Do you find a good picture of the font and process it in an editor, or do you just create the font yourself using an image as a reference? I'd imagine they're separate letters/numbers on an UV-ready sheet.

Wowzers! You're quick (and good!) It looks like a mechanical work of art. This could be the car of 2019 for me :thumbsup::inlove: Thank you!
Early days yet, a lot of opportunity to go wrong still :roflmao:

what sort of caterham is that ?
The sort for those with little to no concept of fear :laugh:

I've always wondered, fonts like that, which are specific to a certain car or brand, how do you go about creating them?

Do you find a good picture of the font and process it in an editor, or do you just create the font yourself using an image as a reference? I'd imagine they're separate letters/numbers on an UV-ready sheet.

Depends if its simply for a logo or brand name or something that requires a whole font set. If its just a single name etc I sometimes just recreate it by hand as a vector, though for things like dashboard fonts I try and use things like https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ to help identify the nearest fonts. I've never made a whole font set from scratch, sounds like quite the task.

That looks amazing, I'm loving those dials :).
Great stuff Gary!
Thanks, should look better once I assign proper materials and make textures for them and add labels etc. Just basic functionality for now.

It's not the only way to do it (and if you can find a decent font, that's easier and much faster) but I just model them, do a texture bake, and use that.
hsVyVpp.png

Handy for the ticks too, Blender has better array modifiers (nondestructive) than GIMP.
nKdlp8G.png

Then an AO bake with a plane close behind it and you get black on white, easy enough to convert to the colours you need.
Blurry part of the image is from it being farther away from the plane (so occlusion got fuzzy) you want a little bit of that to smooth the edges, if it's too close it doesn't anti-alias at all.

Couldn't resist

Animation was simple enough to make as expected, but for some reason KsEditor was crashing on import if I had a skinned mesh (brake line) in the scene - only thing that 'solved' it was importing a skinned mesh from a previous project (Transit shifter gate), attaching the new cable mesh, reassigning the new bones, and voila, KsE was happy :O_o:

Skinned meshes are all aligned as it should this time unlike with the formula student, so in theory I could go back an fix that now.

Last edited:
I discovered 1 year at FOS that these old Auto Unions run on tear gas or something. That car needs a new driver model with liquid pouring from his eyes and nose. Maybe it was a design feature to keep your handlebar moustache protected during the races, hair gel mk.1.

Couldn't resist

Animation was simple enough to make as expected, but for some reason KsEditor was crashing on import if I had a skinned mesh (brake line) in the scene - only thing that 'solved' it was importing a skinned mesh from a previous project (Transit shifter gate), attaching the new cable mesh, reassigning the new bones, and voila, KsE was happy :O_o:

Skinned meshes are all aligned as it should this time unlike with the formula student, so in theory I could go back an fix that now.

Fantastic watching this car come to life, I really enjoy driving the Maserati 250f 12C and this looks like it could be just as challenging to tame. I do think the video needs an appropriate soundtrack, so here we go...

Fantastic watching this car come to life, I really enjoy driving the Maserati 250f 12C and this looks like it could be just as challenging to tame. I do think the video needs an appropriate soundtrack, so here we go...
The 250 is an absolute dream to drive compared to this thing now, and tbh I'm not sure how much better it will get... :roflmao:
The more I research I do about this car, the more I realise how terrible this thing really was. Front RC on the ground, rear RC above the CoG... no wonder this thing oversteered for days.

... this “thing” was way ahead of it’s time.
The idea of fully independent suspension was, but the implementation sadly wasn't.

The front isn't too bad, it had drawbacks (camber always static relative to body roll), but nothing major. The rear is frankly awful, the pendulum motion means camber and toe vary wildly, but the main issue is the crazy high Roll Centre, well above the CoG - this basically gives anti-roll effects on the rear making it incredibly stiff despite much softer torsion bars, so you have zero rear grip in a roll situation.

They partially fixed these issues with ARBs and a de dion style link at the rear on the Typ D, but in the end there is a reason that style of suspension never made it much further. The live axle of the Mercedes at the time was a better option still.

Things like friction dampers also weren't helping matters, though the fundamental issue is really those crazy RC's. I think the most 'ahead of its time' thing about the P-Wagen was its use of hydraulic assisted brakes rather than mechanical like the Merc at the time, and of course the mid-engine with fuel tank in the centre layout, that's lasted the test of time though there were other cars that did it first.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • More leagues

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Prizes

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • Trophies

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Forum trophies