The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

This is my pet project that I work on from time to time as a break from 'serious' projects:

[warning - 10 minute video]

This is one lap of my semi-fictional track, based on real french roads. Eventually, I hope to make this a 26km Nordschleife-style track, but I'm in no hurry :D

If anyone likes long, undulating tracks with lots of blind crest and has a bit of time to spare send me a PM ;)

Some more development of the code by @Stereo and some more texture/set up work by me...specular color now independent of diffuse color.

that is a nice subtle improvement.

I must say the rest of the "hacks" are outrageous. I don't like where this is all going though in general. sorry to be a party pooper but I like **** done properly and none of that night stuff is done properly.

Last edited:
What's your definition of "properly"?
my definition would be exactly the same as Kunos explanation why they don't this themselves. take your pick as its the same thing. it was intended or designed or built for such a thing. now I wasn't criticising any of your work with stereo btw, quite the opposite actually. this fake night stuff.... is fake night stuff. you have a genuine nice adaptation of the shader without entering the world of illusionary extra "special" effects. its a good post. because the fan boys disagree versus those with knowledge of how to design and produce (I suspect) come with different feelings.

Last edited:
my definition would be exactly the same as Kunos explanation why they don't this themselves. take your pick as its the same thing. it was intended or designed or built for such a thing. now I wasn't criticising any of your work with stereo btw, quite the opposite actually. this fake night stuff.... is fake night stuff. you have a genuine nice adaptation of the shader without entering the world of illusionary extra "special" effects. its a good post. because the fan boys disagree versus those with knowledge of how to design and produce come with different feelings.
i won't just put a free "disagree" note on your post. I respect your opinion.
Even more with recent ACC showing off the Unreal capabilities...
But to be honest, i was really surprised and amazed with the achievement of the night effect they managed to came up with.
It's all magic to me almost, how they could make such mod for a game that isn't designed for it to start with.
Maybe some tracks aren't at best, but the experience you get from it, only to mention LA Canyon for example, is really worth the try.

So to me, congrats to those men, they are legends to me. Contributing to the community and almost making history (my history :p)

that is a nice subtle improvement.

I must say the rest of the "hacks" are outrageous. I don't like where this is all going though in general. sorry to be a party pooper but I like **** done properly and none of that night stuff is done properly.
I pressed disagree because:
  • It is still in v0.1.21-preview11, so there is still a long way to go.
  • I like where this is going
That fanboy really hurt my feelings

I have no problems with disagreements on this subject at all. this night stuff is not new. its quite old, must be 2 years or so. first seen on shuto c1 track. using shadows is one way of pretending you have a new light source. its one way you wouldn't find any professional designer getting involved in with or without the knowledge of hacking it. and I'm only interested in the real deal at the end of the day. by kunos I think its really embarrassing to see people say certain things at kunos about it like its something special, not to to fail to mention disrespectful in some way... ? although I know they are laughing to some degree about just what can be hacked. and for that's the only fun part of it. how far can it go where it shouldn't necessarily go.

Last edited:
I have no problems with disagreements on this subject at all. this night stuff is not new. its quite old, must be 2 years or so. first seen on shuto c1 track. using shadows is one way of pretending you have a new light source. its one way you wouldn't find any professional designer getting involved in with or without the knowledge of hacking it. and I'm only interested in the real deal at the end of the day. by kunos I think its really embarrassing to see people say certain things at kunos about it like its something special, not to to fail to mention disrespectful in some way... ?
by the looks of things Stefano was rather impressed by it.

And that Shuto track did do it way different, it had still only a single light source but used "diffuse pushed" textures, something (in my uneducated yes) totally different, as x4fabs night mod seems to splice in a valid light cone for every emission source, which amounts to multiple light sources in my definition.

if its multiple light sources. show me that light source during the day and ill put up and shut up lol
Point is x4fab has produced something and put it out to the public and allowed us to use it as he develops it. I have not seen anything from you other than putting other people's work down. You had an issue when I said negative things about your work but here you are doing the exact same thing.

Point is x4fab has produced something and put it out to the public and allowed us to use it as he develops it. I have not seen anything from you other than putting other people's work down. You had an issue when I said negative things about your work but here you are doing the exact same thing.

were not discussing my work or lack of are we ? and if we are this means only a producer of mods is granted a public opinion ? I'm just throwing it out there that the night mod isn't the best thing and as a modder who was initially interested in it ive just changed my mind about it. and i wana talk about it that's all.

so me old friend who doesn't see eye to eye with me on many things. whats your real opinion on it ?

Last edited:
were not discussing my work or lack of are we ? and if we are this means only a producer of mods is granted a public opinion ?
When claiming the "right" or "wrong" way to do something I would hope you have shown or produced something to show off this "right" way and thus explained how it is done.

When claiming the "right" or "wrong" way to do something I would hope you have shown or produced something to show off this "right" way and thus explained how it is done.

well if everything ive shown is worthless to you i understand that. and if others agree then so be it. i get good feedback and above everything that's what i listen to.

ps. it cant be done right, the engine doesn't support multiple light sources. "properly" programed real ones that is.

Last edited:
if its multiple light sources. show me that light source during the day and ill put up and shut up lol
1.jpg

there is a cone with varying light intensity "emitting" from the headlights, which imo is something more than just an inverse shadow
2.jpg

same thing at the rear

time is 8AM, weather is G&B W broken clouds

well if everything ive shown is worthless to you i understand that. and if others agree then so be it. i get good feedback and above everything that's what i listen to.

ps. it cant be done right, the engine doesn't support multiple light sources. "properly" programed real ones that is.
Yes we all know it isn't possible to do it "right" as the engine doesn't support it. But someone has been able to "hack in" working headlights and guess what? People enjoy it and are having fun with it. Don't agree with it? Then don't use it. Want proper headlights? then go back to PC2, rF2, or wait for ACC. As this is about the best you will probably get in AC.

I must say the rest of the "hacks" are outrageous.

The latest "hacks" have breathed new life into AC, I am enjoying them no end, particularly the night mod.

Much like when new artists sample old music, it's always a great tribute to the original authors of this software that there is such a thriving modding scene still alive. All the great sim racing titles have had it; Grand Prix 1-4, GPL, RBR, to name but three.

Calling them "outrageous hacks" is just not fair.

The latest "hacks" have breathed new life into AC, I am enjoying them no end, particularly the night mod.

Much like when new artists sample old music, it's always a great tribute to the original authors of this software that there is such a thriving modding scene still alive. All the great sim racing titles have had it; Grand Prix 1-4, GPL, RBR, to name but three.

Calling them "outrageous hacks" is just not fair.

that's a very fair point, I was wrong to say that now you put it that way. and well I don't have issues with the mod being out there, I just feel its much more "novelty" than the comments about it suggest. its great considering we didn't have it before I totally get that...

and don't forget I'm the one working on it adapting to it too. well as properly as can be. I just don't really like it or want to tbh. but I'm sure theres a new round of illegal track conversions waiting to occur.
iVrrFZz.jpg

and don't forget I'm the one working on it adapting to it too. well as properly as can be. I just don't really like it or want to tbh. but I'm sure theres a new round of illegal track conversions waiting to occur.
iVrrFZz.jpg
I think "as properly as can be" would be waiting for the track light support that should be added fairly soon. I don't think texture work is at all a better solution than that (besides for framerate) so long as the shader method is as adjustable as its car lights.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.