The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Well, we already have FLEX= and FLEX_GAIN= for every set of tires so is there anything new that has to be provided for parameters in these new calculations? Technically, "tire flex" has been a part of AC, we just didn't get to see it...so the only calculations are for visual results, right?
Exactly, this is the easy part. But translating this into alteration of the render engine is an entire different pair of shoes.. it's like the old joke of coding a program that finds out when a jpeg was taken and if it contains birds. One if a 5 minute job, the other a Harvard dissertation

.. I don't think we have any shader in the stock game that is directly influenced by a car's physics... ks_brakedisc may be one, as its behaviour is written in the brakes.ini.. but apart from that there is a pretty strong divide between visuals and physics

Exactly, this is the easy part. But translating this into alteration of the render engine is an entire different pair of shoes.. it's like the old joke of coding a program that finds out when a jpeg was taken and if it contains birds. One if a 5 minute job, the other a Harvard dissertation

.. I don't think we have any shader in the stock game that is directly influenced by a car's physics... ks_brakedisc may be one, as its behaviour is written in the brakes.ini.. but apart from that there is a pretty strong divide between visuals and physics
It's undoubtedly impressive tech and I'm generally in awe of everything Ilja does (and he's a very helpful chap too, spending a lot of time sorting out a CM window scaling conflict between my Rift and my 4k display) but I'm not sure I'll ever actually see this tyre flex under normal gaming conditions (VR, cockpit view).

Still, as I said, mightily impressive. Even Lord Kunos has no idea how what alchemy Ilja is employing.

And @ALB123

Not as easy as you're making it sound :D The flex_gain parameter (not flex as it's no longer used by AC) has to do with torsional stiffness, not lateral or longitudinal. The visual flex is lateral and longitudinal only (though I might talk to Ilja about adding torsional) - values not at all calculated by the physics engine and not simulated in AC (the contact patch doesn't move in AC). To add visual flex in ACC, Stefano said they needed to add new parameters in the physics and write new code for the contact patch/point. So my (self-imposed) job was writing the physical equations that made it work based on the incomplete data we have available in AC.

The actual visual modification is on the same level of difficulty if you're as familiar with graphics as you are physics (once you get past injection into AC). He's using vertex shaders to move things around; starting at (for now) the RIM_RADIUS value in the tyres.ini and ending at the contact patch with a displacement calculated by the equations I detailed in my other post.

And @ALB123

Not as easy as you're making it sound :D The flex_gain parameter (not flex as it's no longer used by AC) has to do with torsional stiffness, not lateral or longitudinal. The visual flex is lateral and longitudinal only (though I might talk to Ilja about adding torsional) - values not at all calculated by the physics engine and not simulated in AC (the contact patch doesn't move in AC). To add visual flex in ACC, Stefano said they needed to add new parameters in the physics and write new code for the contact patch/point. So my (self-imposed) job was writing the physical equations that made it work based on the incomplete data we have available in AC.

The actual visual modification is on the same level of difficulty if you're as familiar with graphics as you are physics (once you get past injection into AC). He's using vertex shaders to move things around; starting at (for now) the RIM_RADIUS value in the tyres.ini and ending at the contact patch with a displacement calculated by the equations I detailed in my other post.

So he found way to inject code into AC :confused: (this would I guess mean standalone offline mode only if it gets released at some point? )

On the tyre flex.

So the calculations are done live and not using lookup table? Moving the nodes around in real time. Is there fps loss?

Is it producing good/realistic results?

Could we see something like this in future :geek:

62K9Q7k.jpg

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/36-37-38-corvette-c7-r-seagate-technology.21486/

Finally done with this one :)
Awesome :inlove:

x4fab doing the lords work once again!

hwz1Zxph.jpg

ZCVIvmS.jpg

Also just noticed this:

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png
Yes I have been helping from day one with these tires,
I mentioned it maybe 4-5 months was a dream to have lockups and wear over laps, and deformable tires and such so me and David been giving feedback and the mods all using RSS textures,
so far its really impressive what hes making just wants some final polishing :)
14789f89ff06802c3ec07daaa5bf2ed2.jpg

will work on all content by the way when using CM.
wants setting up correctly not had time to change the values as of yet,
but custom textures and settings for positions of tire damage and flexing will all be possible,
these are 2018 Hybrid presets, not configured yet.
3f87fdd0d99bfab01797266e00ebc28b.png

will work on all content by the way when using CM.
wants setting up correctly not had time to change the values as of yet,
but custom textures and settings for positions of tire damage and flexing will all be possible,
these are 2018 Hybrid presets, not configured yet.
3f87fdd0d99bfab01797266e00ebc28b.png
anything we modders can set up beforehand so that no CM magic is needed?

So he found way to inject code into AC :confused: (this would I guess mean standalone offline mode only if it gets released at some point? )

On the tyre flex.

So the calculations are done live and not using lookup table? Moving the nodes around in real time. Is there fps loss?

Is it producing good/realistic results?

Could we see something like this in future :geek:
No he's not injecting code, he's going (injecting) into the exe to retrieve code. The exe itself is unchanged.

Not sure if there's an FPS hit - certainly not for the calculations (which yes, are live), but perhaps for the graphics.

It looks fairly similar to that video but the movement is limited to under the rim (and is currently less than that...working on making the equations more complicated to better adjust for larger sidewalls etc.).

anything we modders can set up beforehand so that no CM magic is needed?
If anything just make sure the tire+rim's modeled all the way to the bead (not just have the lip fused to the tire) since on heavy cornering the sidewall does pull away from the lip.

And I guess double check your rim radius is accurate since CM could use that to figure out how much sidewall there is (it should be set anyway so when the tire pops the car rides on the rim decently)

And I guess double check your rim radius is accurate since CM could use that to figure out how much sidewall there is (it should be set anyway so when the tire pops the car rides on the rim decently)
That's what the code currently uses, yeah. That said, the actual Content Manager integration will make it so that it generates an ini file for each car that can be customized. Also, the sidewall doesn't currently pull away from the rim as precision in specifying the tire is location based only (as in, it doesn't discriminate from rim and tire, so it'd warp the rim as well), which isn't precise enough for moving the tire separately.

Oh, I thought it was a drop in replacement for ksTyre, which should mean only the tire uses it. I suppose if your mod uses ksTyre to get speed-sensitive texture swaps or something that might be an issue.

Like, if it's a child of RIM_RF then it gets RF's deformation coordinates for inputs, but only the ksTyre actually has the vertex shader to use them.

Oh, I thought it was a drop in replacement for ksTyre, which should mean only the tire uses it. I suppose if your mod uses ksTyre to get speed-sensitive texture swaps or something that might be an issue.

Like, if it's a child of RIM_RF then it gets RF's deformation coordinates for inputs, but only the ksTyre actually has the vertex shader to use them.
edit: reconsidering my understanding of how it's currently working.

update: It's a vertex shader replacement for ksTyres. It won't affect the rim, but RIM_RADIUS is used to determine around where the flex starts (then there are parameters to adjust it from there)

Last edited:
That line of rubber going all the way around the track looks a little silly :p

thats a groove its on all kunos tracks...ill be tweaking the levels before release...its a little heavy admittedly

though looking a pictures a lot its get pretty heavily rubber-ed by the end of the race...

curbs are also going to rubber-in dynamically

thats a groove its on all kunos tracks...ill be tweaking the levels before release...its a little heavy admittedly

though looking a pictures a lot its get pretty heavily rubber-ed by the end of the race...

curbs are also going to rubber-in dynamically
Just cause it's on kunos tracks doesn't make it right ;)

Cars don't leave much rubber on straights.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.