The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Ive not released anything ever. a few folks have some tests of mine. . for 2 years ive been learning this stuff / 3d modelling, texture artist for over a decade and a half. and its only the past couple of months I'm achieving what I want to achieve and getting to that place.. the place where I am getting what I want. and can deliver what "they" want.
So sorry I had you confused with this guy :)
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/wijchen-by-paleopixels.21041/

Yeah I know how you feel, I feel like I have almost peaked, I see 3D now like flies on ****, I make what I want when I want, its like butter :D

well I always worked in little teams before. but these days its like everyone has to be a 1 man show doing it all. I never got that, but nobody wants an actual artist anymore for a specific job. and believe me id rather just be putting these hours into digital art for other peoples splendid models.. sign of the times I guess.

My Latest attempt to merge Classic Corvette C3 sculpture with the modern proportions and design elements of the C5 and C6. I'm calling her the HammerHead.
Work in progress rendering, more to come.
Once I finish the renderings it will go into AC.
HH FRT3QTR small.jpg

I saw it on his youtube channel:

Currently it doesn't work on replays which is a shame, as it means you can't drive hard as you can't see where you are going! Hopefully he can get that working, then it will be really interesting to see them throughout a proper lap.

Does x4fab have thread on his discord about this gary?

Or is this something he just started to play around?

Curious how he is making it work.
Worked with him on the latest stuff so know a bit about it.

He's using vertex shaders to make the visual adjustments and injecting into the AC exe (or anyway reading its calls) to find pointers for the physics data to make those adjustments.

On the physics side, the vertical flex is just the tire radius in the data files (static radius) minus current radius (active radius). He then redraws the tire based on that.

Lateral flex is a bit different as there's more going on. To do it properly, you'd really need some extra data in the physics (such as lateral spring rate), so it's somewhat fudged. That said, the data I've seen for lateral spring rate is actually quite similar to that of vertical spring rate, so I used that when writing the equation. Overall it's rather simple; lateral force divided by vertical spring rate multiplied by a constant. The constant is a somewhat arbitrary "technology factor" based on the flex parameter in the data files for the tires. It attempts to account for differences in construction between different tires.

edit: forgot longitudinal. Longitudinal is the same as lateral flex but it uses longitudinal forces (obviously) and the CX_MULT parameter when available.

Last edited:
Getting the data for the flex seems relatively straight forward... but how he then translate that into positioning of vertices I have no idea. Every tire is modelled differently even if done by the same modeller, sizes are all variable and so on...

.. I hope someone at Vallelunga is chewing pencils right now debating if these could maybe added to some sort of final update or whatever... ride a bit of a "retro" wave in ACCs wake.

Getting the data for the flex seems relatively straight forward... but how he then translate that into positioning of vertices I have no idea. Every tire is modelled differently even if done by the same modeller, sizes are all variable and so on...

.. I hope someone at Vallelunga is chewing pencils right now debating if these could maybe added to some sort of final update or whatever... ride a bit of a "retro" wave in ACCs wake.
I think they confirmed tyre flex not only physical but visual too

Last edited:
Worked with him on the latest stuff so know a bit about it.

He's using vertex shaders to make the visual adjustments and injecting into the AC exe (or anyway reading its calls) to find pointers for the physics data to make those adjustments.

On the physics side, the vertical flex is just the tire radius in the data files (static radius) minus current radius (active radius). He then redraws the tire based on that.

Lateral flex is a bit different as there's more going on. To do it properly, you'd really need some extra data in the physics (such as lateral spring rate), so it's somewhat fudged. That said, the data I've seen for lateral spring rate is actually quite similar to that of vertical spring rate, so I used that when writing the equation. Overall it's rather simple; lateral force divided by vertical spring rate multiplied by a constant. The constant is a somewhat arbitrary "technology factor" based on the flex parameter in the data files for the tires. It attempts to account for differences in construction between different tires.

edit: forgot longitudinal. Longitudinal is the same as lateral flex but it uses longitudinal forces (obviously) and the CX_MULT parameter when available.
Thank you for providing some insight into this process. I love reading this stuff.

Well, we already have FLEX= and FLEX_GAIN= for every set of tires so is there anything new that has to be provided for parameters in these new calculations? Technically, "tire flex" has been a part of AC, we just didn't get to see it...so the only calculations are for visual results, right?

Oh, and I don't think Kunos is at Vallelunga any longer. Didn't they move into newer offices, off track, many months ago?

Finally. Ilja is a God. I know he gets plenty of help behind the scenes, but he is still a great mad scientist which makes my favorite game all the more enjoyable. I just hope he slows down a bit on the new features to finish things in Content Manager that aren't finished/working properly. But, I'm still happy no matter which way he continues developing. It's is amazing what things like Content Manager and Good & Bad Weather have done for Assetto Corsa. It astonishes me when I read a post somewhere and someone says, "What's Content Manager?" or "I've heard about CM, but I can't see why I'd need it". :confused:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Prizes

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 1 2.8%